Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite/best foil/rival for Twilight?

Unlikeable Pony

Which one was your favorite/do you think was the best foil/rival to twilight?  

23 users have voted

1. 1. Which one was your favorite foil/rival to twilight?

• Trixie
    • starlight glimmer
    • Sunset shimmer

So, which of the three do you think was the best rival or foil to Twilight sparkle? Trixie, Sunset shimmer, or starlight glimmer?

This is not just which was thematically the best but which you found most ENJOYABLE. a good rival has to entertain, not just be an evil clone of a character after all, like how turles from DBZ is identical to Goku but he's not winning any popularity contests.

So which of the three did you feel did the job best and entertained you the most?

large.png

I preferred Trixiie as Twilight's rival, she's more fun that way and they never should have redeemed her(if you can call it that)

• Brohoof 2

I preferred Trixiie as Twilight's rival, she's more fun that way and they never should have redeemed her(if you can call it that)

Agreed.

Trixie's really the only one of her rivals/nemesis that I found FUN.

The other two were anti-twilights, sure. but they just didn't entertain me. Trixie though? Freaking LOVED trixie, every single time she was on screen I smiled.

Sure she wasn't this big imposing super unicorn, but SO WHAT? We didn't need twilight to be godmode hax at the start or up till S4, so trixie worked well with her bluster and ego compared to twilight's personality.

Loved me some trixie :(

large.png

• Brohoof 2

I voted Starlight Glimmer.  :love:

Trixie is funny and Sunset is nice to look at (I love her mane design!), but it's Starlight's badassery and magical prowess that really impresses me. Watching Twilight struggle to defeat her was really exciting!

• Brohoof 1

This is quite interesting, Twilight Sparkle has shown herself to be gullible and prone to manipulation, by those potential cleverer and more cunning than she is, Queen Chrysalis and Discord took advantage of Twilight's flaw and nearly succeed. The main character than came the closest to defeating Twilight Sparkle was Starlight Glimmer, for she was almost direct reflection of Twilight, she was always one step ahead of Twilight, and shadowed her in plain sight throughout the course of season five, unlike Queen Chrysalis, who assumed the disguise of Princess Cadence, Starlight Glimmer followed Twilight Sparkle around in broad public, like a secret agent, with plenty of skills to avoid suspicion, it was also clear that Starlight knew her opponent and knew how to engage her, Starlight could have been a great battlefield strategist, she was so powerful it took a deus ex machina to humble Starlight, thus to me, Starlight Glimmer was the best rival and former enemy of Twilight Sparkle.  

• Brohoof 1

Out of these options and as a character in general I would have to go with Sunset Shimmer.

Her character arch and development in Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games really resonated with me.  The whole kitchen scene in RR is one of my favorite FIM scenes due to how it used Sunset's character arch in order to be a foil for Twilight's and how they both really worked.

So I can choose between the Great and Powerful Pone, the Best Waifu Twilight, and the Angsty Twilight. Well, the Twannabes are all unimaginative characters with a stage presence of an amateur pole dancer. But before I answer the question, I shall ask myself what would a great archnemesis of Twilight Sparkle even be like? Hmm, let me just force my fat hamster to run a few laps.

I once compared Twilight (this is Twily before she got Celestia’d) to the red/blue Izzet guild of Ravnica. Those guys are feverish inventors and magical scientists with unquenchable and oftentimes quite destructive thirst for knowledge.

Their opposition is represented in green/black of the Golgari guild where life and death are thought of as natural yet transient parts of the eternal circle. It uses the more unpleasant of nature’s creations and corpses raised by necromancy as skittering instruments of its will that promotes the circle of life on one side, and shuns it on the other.

As such, Twilight’s archnemesis should be someone that is quite intimate with nature and the circle of life, someone that would wield annoying magic straight out of old pony tales, someone that would be capable of standing between wilderness and Equestria without powers and ambitions that could be seen as an excuse for rainbow blasts and instant friendship conversions. Such a foe should be quite capable of making Twilight really mad and really lost for a change. How can you befriend someone that is cozy with things that you find unacceptable? In other words: Twilight doesn’t need another traditional pony mage as her rival, though she could use one as a casual Gary Oak. Her archnemesis should be somewhat of a Fox Mulder to her Dana Scully. The good things that could come from such interaction are the removal of Twilight’s passivity, her growth, and the decrease of her solo solutions in favor of other mane characters cause now you’d have someone that could horn block her without making it look terribly stupid and one-sided. On the other appendage, Twannabes like Shimmer and Glimmer would only promote her “Celestianess” because of their similarity in role and ability.

Now to answer the question: I’d choose the Great and Powerful Trixie not only because she is the sole non-mirror matchup provided but because she reminds me of Gary Oak, and that makes me chuckle … Silly OP, offering only one viable character to choose from [Twiface].

I love you Sunset Shimmer, but I'm going with Trixie. 

I wish she was a secondary character like Discord because I can imagine the rivalry between her and Twilight being more entertaining than Starlight vs Twilight in the season 5 finale

-Starlight: well, she being more down to earth villain and manipulator, makes her rather scary, but her lame reformation takes some points from her

-Sunny: sorry, she really shines as a good girl, taking her role as Twi's foil away, while she was lame as her time as Twi's foil, so nope

-Trixie: she's entertaining and hot :bedeyes:, so I'll pick her

Trixie.

Why?

Well because she isn't a bad pony she just made some bad choices. And I prefer that over the thought of an inherently bad character. She also has a sweet hat!

How good or bad the character is within the universe is irrelevant really. We're talking about how well they work as a foil to Twilight from an entertainment point of view. A villainous character can still be entertaining.

I love you Sunset Shimmer, but I'm going with Trixie. 

I wish she was a secondary character like Discord because I can imagine the rivalry between her and Twilight being more entertaining than Starlight vs Twilight in the season 5 finale

Sadly, its hard to imagine a rivalry between them after S3; Twilight just surpassed trixie in most every way upon becoming an alicorn :P