Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unpopular/uncommon video game opinions

BastementSparkle

Title says it all. Just share a few gaming opinions that are unpopular or uncommon. I'll start with two for now. Feel free to disagree, but obviously don't be a jerk just cause someone thinks differently. Try to go a bit more in-depth  about why you feel that way about something if you can.

-The Donkey Kong Country games are a lot better than the 2D Mario games, both new and old. The DKC games have better controls, level design, challenge, variety, atmosphere, music, characters...Literally everything. The 2D Mario's are fun, but nothing much beyond that, and I find a lot of the old school Mario music actually get's annoying. The 3D Mario games are a lot better though.

-The first two Sonic Riders are really underrated. Everybody seems to hate them and I have honestly no idea why. They're pretty unique compared to most racers, the controls work fine, the mechanics are interesting, the story isn't special but people complain about it way too much when it's actually kind of fun for what it is, and the music is pretty good. They just get lumped in a bunch with a lot of the bad Sonic games for seemingly no real reason. Free Riders get's whatever hate it deserves.

Been wanting to get both those off my chest for a while.

Edited by BasementBloom
  • Brohoof 3

Carmen Sandiego and the Secret of the Stolen Drums for GameCube. It's like vanilla ice cream melting, because its so basic but also frustrating. It's only a little better than vanilla. It's like vanilla with some squirt bottle chocolate goop on top.

Take a drink for every time someone says,"overrated" in this thread.

I feel FPS games in general get boring after 5 minutes. Every FPS game I've played be it TF2, COD or Halo couldn't hold my attention very long.

I don't see the appeal in horror games. I feel like they would get dull after the first playthrough seeing as you know when the scares will come, which seems to be the main selling point.

The first two Mario Kart games where the weakest. Their controls were wonky, and the whole idea of ranking out if you get below 4th seems unfair since you could still catch up later.

And finally, gen 1 Pokemon had too many glitches and was overall buggy to prevent me from considering it amazing especially if you compare it to say gen 3 or 5 in terms of story and after game quests.

• Brohoof 3

- Final Fantasy IV, VIII and X are better than VI, VII and IX(Tactics is still the best FF tho)

- I like Megaman X6

- I like all the Starfox games(apparently your only allowed to like 64)

- Twilight Princess is the best 3D Zelda

- Titanfall is a great game and would've been a lot more fairly received if EA and Gaming Journalism didn't hype it like the second coming before release

- Brawl is a fantastic game

- The Wii is a fantastic console

- The PSP is the best handheld ever

Just a couple I share

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

Okay, I'll add to this.

FINAL FANTASY.

Though the first handful were REALLY good games, they've pretty much become semi-interactive movies, for the most part.

And the title's a sham; it's NEVER the 'final' fantasy as long as they can make money off it; who are they fooling?

Okay, I'll add to this.

FINAL FANTASY.

Though the first handful were REALLY good games, they've pretty much become semi-interactive movies, for the most part.

And the title's a sham; it's NEVER the 'final' fantasy as long as they can make money off it; who are they fooling?

At least tell me you know why it's called Final Fantasy in the first place.

Unpopular opinion: The Kingdom Hearts series has one of the best stories of all time. It also would be a lot better if they took out all semblance of Disney and made it a totally original game. The non-Disney aspects of the series are what makes the series great and they would have so much more freedom if they weren't making worlds based on existing movies.

• Brohoof 1

I actually liked Resident Evil 6 despite all the hate the game received from RE fans and critics alike. I know it had a lot of flaws and was more of an action game than a "survival horror" game, but it was still fun to play(I especially enjoyed the co-op aspect of the game).

• Brohoof 2

• I'm disappointed that both the 3DS and the Wii U are ending so soon, even if neither of them (especially the Wii U) were absolute successes both in the marketing and the gaming department.

Undertale is, while certainly a good game, I don't think is absolutely amazing. I do see why other people like it, however. On that note, I find the Genocidal Run to be the most interesting.

I don't really like the Sonic series all that much, and the games I do like in said series are considered the worst by many fans.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 2

Not sure how uncommon/unpopular this is, but: Fallout 3 isn't that great of a game. People praise it to heaven, but, to be honest, it got really boring REALLY fast. The combat was clunky to me, the side quests and characters dull, and the environment had too much grey. I get that it's supposed to be like that, but still.. too much grey and brown. 

Also, the Mario series isn't that great either, though Super Mario Sunshine was pretty fun.

I liked Skyward Sword, whereas everyone else seems to hate it.

Gen 1 Pokemon isn't the best Pokemon.

• Brohoof 1

Every TES game after Morrowind sucks (also Morrowind is the quite possibly the best RPG ever made)

Every Fallout game after FO2 sucks (NV sucks the least, though)

I have more but I think that's sufficient to piss everybody off for now.

• Brohoof 1

-The Donkey Kong Country games are a lot better than the 2D Mario games, both new and old. The DKC games have better controls, level design, challenge, variety, atmosphere, music, characters...Literally everything. The 2D Mario's are fun, but nothing much beyond that, and I find a lot of the old school Mario music actually get's annoying. The 3D Mario games are a lot better though.

I appreciate the Donkey Kong Country series.  Or, at least, DKC, DKC2 (less than DKC), DKCR, and DKC:TF.  So...  Okay, most of them. xD  But I very much disagree on the point of "controls."  DKC has always had comparatively loose or floaty controls, and there's often an ability that isn't particularly useful - or whose use ends up stopping the flow of a stage dead in its tracks.  The mechanics of the roll jump and barrel-handling have always been a little eyebrow-raising (though never really bad), and there are several animal steeds throughout the series that should have been omitted on the grounds of controls alone.  I won't go into wonky hit detection / hit boxes.

I love the series; Tropical Freeze belongs right up there with the platforming greats.  But I'll take the pinpoint precision of a Mario side-scroller (particularly SMB3, which I believe has the best controls of any side-scrolling Mario) over the sometimes-questionable controls of any DKC game.

• I'm disappointed that both the 3DS and the Wii U are ending so soon, even if neither of them (especially the Wii U) were absolute successes both in the marketing and the gaming department.
  • Undertale is, while certainly a good game, I don't think is absolutely amazing. I do see why other people like it, however. On that note, I find the Genocidal Run to be the most interesting.
  • I don't really like the Sonic series all that much, and the games I do like in said series are considered the worst by many fans.

I can more or less agree with you on all three points.  In the case of Sonic, I've never cared much for the old side-scrollers (strange, because I'm usually all about those kinda games), and I really enjoyed Lost World.  Next to SA2 (a more popular pick), Lost World may well be my favorite Sonic game.

• Brohoof 3

I appreciate the Donkey Kong Country series.  Or, at least, DKC, DKC2 (less than DKC), DKCR, and DKC:TF.  So...  Okay, most of them. xD  But I very much disagree on the point of "controls."  DKC has always had comparatively loose or floaty controls, and there's often an ability that isn't particularly useful - or whose use ends up stopping the flow of a stage dead in its tracks.  The mechanics of the roll jump and barrel-handling have always been a little eyebrow-raising (though never really bad), and there are several animal steeds throughout the series that should have been omitted on the grounds of controls alone.  I won't go into wonky hit detection / hit boxes.   I love the series; Tropical Freeze belongs right up there with the platforming greats.  But I'll take the pinpoint precision of a Mario side-scroller (particularly SMB3, which I believe has the best controls of any side-scrolling Mario) over the sometimes-questionable controls of any DKC game.

I can see where you're coming from, and admittedly this is probably some nostalgia bias on my part honestly. I grew up with the DKC games, so I'm pretty used to any kinks they may have. My Step-dad had an SNES he'd let me play, with all 3 DKC games, but no Mario games (Except Yoshi's Island, which is also my favorite 2D "Mario" game) Never had a problem with the roll jumping or barrel handling though. I suppose instead of controls maybe I should say "Feeling". I like the way the Kongs feel to play as in general, both in the classic and modern entries more than I like the way Mario feels to play. Maybe just because it's more what I'm used to.

Though I certainly wouldn't call DKCR and TF "Floaty", DK's actually got quite a bit of weight to him in those games.

• Brohoof 2

• Undertale is overrated. I can see why people like it, but I think it's being overhyped by its fandom.

Minecraft is not getting worse with every update.

I think the last "good" Mario game was back when Nintendo released Super Mario Galaxy,

Fallout 4 is not the "Best Game Ever Made." It's plagued with bugs, glitches, and instability.

• Brohoof 2

-As a huge Sonic fan, the Sonic Adventure games weren't really that good. The first one, while a guilty pleasure, has aged poorly mainly due to having a really bad camera and tons of clipping glitches, and the only thing I liked about the second one were the speed stages. I would explain more, but watch ProJared, TheRetroReplay and/or SomeonecallmeJohnny's reviews to see why I don't care for it. I'm sorry, but give me the classic games, Colors, Generations, Lost World and even Heroes over these games any day.

-On that note, I feel like the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games aged better than the Sonic Adventure games and even Super Mario 64.

-I dislike Five Nights at Freddy's and not just because of the fanbase.

-No game series is "the same game every time"

-I'm no fan of it either (even though World at War is really good), but considering that pretty much everyone hates it these days, Call of Duty isn't really "overrated."

-The Nintendo 64 isn't that great of a system. Most of it's great games didn't age well and the controller is awful. Even some of the ones that did age well like Starfox 64 and Banjo-Kazooie got much better ports on future systems (i.e. the 3DS and 360, respectively)

-The Nintendo Wii is one of my favorite consoles.

-I like the Gameboy Advance, but I don't think it's the best handheld console ever. It has it's good games, but a lot of it's library is riddled with shovelware.

-Team Fortress 2 has gone downhill. Most of the updates now are just piggybacking CS:GO and the community is just like "LOL HATS = SKILL XD"

-The Playstation 4 and Xbox One haven't interested me in the slightest.

-Pokemon's not a bad franchise, but it's far from my favorite.

-I really like the New Super Mario Bros games.

-The first 3 Mario Kart games weren't really that good. Nor was the first Super Smash Bros game.

-The Sega Saturn is a pretty underrated system.

-ET for the 2600 is mediocre, but far from the worst game of all time.

Edited by SuperALPHYSBrony
  • Brohoof 4

Pokemon X and Y are trash!

I really REALLY need to get this off my chest

• The intention of the villain is the worst of any Pokemon villain. Most of the important enemies just want money, and the leader is power hungry. It's the furthest thing from realistic motivations in such a fantasy world.
  • The game is EASY!
  • -       The experience share is incredibly op (I had never needed to grind or go out of my way to get past an obstacle)
  • -       Having the choice to pick which Elite Four to fight next makes strategies so much easier, though that's been a problem since before Unova.
  • -       Mega Evolutions are also incredibly op, especially considering how you and a very select few enemies are the only people who can use mega evolutions.
  • -       The champion battle was such a joke. She was the first champion that I could beat on my first try.
  • There are hardly any legendary pokemon to catch, and much less that were introduced.
  • There's a laughable amount of post-game content after beating the champion. Most of it isn't even engaging.
  • The story is terrible. It lacks so much in it's interest department and was incredibly boring.
  • Your rivals/friends are the most bland characters in the entire franchise! They are so basic that they can fall into stereotypical categorizes.
  • -       Super smart kid who calculates everything.
  • -       Person who just wants to show off their stuff.
  • -       General love interest or something.
  • -       Just another boring rival.
  • I'm not a real fan of the whole 3-D Pokemon battle stuff. It really takes away from the imagination what the battle would look like as you can see what it really is like there. (I'm probably the only one who thinks this though)
  • Fairy type was good for balancing, but it makes the incredibly weak bug type even weaker. It was a perfect chance to greatly improve such a weak type! There are very few good bug pokemon, and understandably so, but I'm not a fan of just having an overall weak type.

It would be rude to only list the bad things though. I loved how they introduced the ability to change your design, and the music is pretty good. Nothing superb, but Pokemon music is always great. I would complain about how walking isn't on grids anymore, but that's actually just a choice that you can make. I'll have to stick to the grid-based movement though.

Also, Kirby Air Ride is the best Gamecube game, despite what reviews say! Please make an HD version for the WiiU Nintendo.

• Brohoof 3

I can see where you're coming from, and admittedly this is probably some nostalgia bias on my part honestly. I grew up with the DKC games, so I'm pretty used to any kinks they may have. My Step-dad had an SNES he'd let me play, with all 3 DKC games, but no Mario games (Except Yoshi's Island, which is also my favorite 2D "Mario" game) Never had a problem with the roll jumping or barrel handling though. I suppose instead of controls maybe I should say "Feeling". I like the way the Kongs feel to play as in general, both in the classic and modern entries more than I like the way Mario feels to play. Maybe just because it's more what I'm used to.

Though I certainly wouldn't call DKCR and TF "Floaty", DK's actually got quite a bit of weight to him in those games.

Nothing wrong with nostalgia bias, in my book.  And I get what you mean by the feel of how a game plays.

• Brohoof 1

Bioshock's story is nonexistent. The history of Rapture from its start to your arrival is hilariously predictable and even the Would You Kindly reveal is wasted entirely by virtue of it being entirely unconnected. HaHA, all this time you have actually been programmed into doing my bidding! Um, all this time I've been slogging through this game just to see what all the hubbub is about, and turns out this is it? Ych.

Also, Fallout 2 is trash. The plot is copypasted from the first one with a find/replace of the macguffin and right out of the gate the dialogue turns into a rousing game of Guess the Pop Culture Reference. There's bigger guns and meaner enemies, and companion NPCs have some personality to them, but that's where the improvements end.

... and the music is pretty good. Nothing superb, but Pokemon music is always great.

I don't know about that. The music from Generation IV and V was almost entirely forgettable to me. X/Y had a fantastic OST, and I was very glad for that.

Also, Kirby Air Ride is the best Gamecube game, despite what reviews say! Please make an HD version for the WiiU Nintendo.

I'd wager that this is a somewhat popular opinion. I remember one time I posted on a Nintendo forum that I didn't really care for Kirby Air Ride and I got all kinds of hate for that. =/

I hate the super 3D approach to the new pokemon games, should've kept it the sorta inbetween style that Gen 4 had, 

Team Fortress 2 is a pile of TRASH, same goes with most of the PC elitist shit, like Counter strike.

Despite it's rough launch, i'd say BF4 is the best multiplayer shooter i can think of, it was never meant for last gen consoles. 

I still have mixed opinions on fallout 4.