Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unpopular/uncommon video game opinions

BastementSparkle

-Pokemon Colosseum and XD are the best in the franchise. Both due to providing actual challenge, plot, and music (legit, you won’t find better Pokemon soundtrack anywhere else :fluttershy:)

-I’m sure the love for OOT and shan’t of being “the best Zelda ever”, or “Best videogame ever” is due to nostalgia. As someone who began with the franchise with it, I understand the sentiment. OOT was an insane revolution in the industry, and it was easy to be in love with. Not to mention paving the path of many videogame standards we now take for granted. However, as result, it caused the game to show it’s age. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still a solid game to play, but no “best game in history”. Which leads me to the next point:

-Twilight Princess is the most overrated Zelda. I’m afraid to say TP is too similar to OOT, and the latter already showed it’s age by the time TP was released. Not to mention the added padding. TP is longer for the sake of being longer, and giving the illusion of being a bigger OOT. With all the added padding, I’m sure at least two extra dungeons could have been made

• Brohoof 1

As much as Mega Man X7 was a bad game, I can appreciate what things it did right. Such as giving Axl character development (thank god he's better in X8), and having upgrades go back to X1-X4's style instead of X5-X6's collect all pieces to use that armor.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I think Pokemon Go is the most fun Pokémon game. Since you play by GPS, it’s the closest you’ll have for a real Pokémon adventure we dreamed as kids, instead of the same overused formula in the main games

One Winged Angel isn’t in my top 3 Final Fantasy final boss music. Those are instead:

Spoiler

3- Born Anew

2-Dancing Mad

1-possibly the most underrated and my personal top final boss theme, EVER: Rise of the White Raven

Gabriel Belmont is best Belmont

image.jpeg

Edited by Steve Piranha

• 2 weeks later...

It's dumb to take God of War, reboot it, and name the reboot God of War even though it's not a remake of the original God of War from 2005. I get that they probably wanted to attract a newer fanbase but it feels weird to me. Activision did this with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare in 2019 (though at least the original had "Call of Duty 4" in the title) and they're about to release another Modern Warfare 2. EA did this with Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars Battlefront II. Like you gotta specify "the 2004 one" or "the 2005 one" whenever you bring it up because the reboots are fresher in people's minds.

Elden Ring, while decent, is overrated by a massive magnitude. The bosses in particular are mostly an awful affair, with the "hardest" boss only being "hard" due to outright broken design with one particlar attack that results in RNG playing a heavy role. 

That established, another unpopular opinion: Dark Souls 1 bosses (especially Artorias) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Elden Ring bosses.

On 2022-04-25 at 11:42 PM, Early Sunsets said:

Battle royale game modes suck.

I second this, several hundred times. Battle Royale is the worst genre in gaming in my view, by far. Fortnite is the best example to why. It represents all that is currently wrong in the gaming industry.

13 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

That established, another unpopular opinion: Dark Souls 1 bosses (especially Artorias) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Elden Ring bosses.

I don't know that I'd exactly call that unpopular. :P I've seen a lot of people call the bosses in Elden Ring disappointing, also there are I think over 100 bosses in total, and most of those are dungeon copy and pasted bosses. I fought a troll in one and it was not fun.

• Brohoof 1

47 minutes ago, Celli said:

I don't know that I'd exactly call that unpopular. :P I've seen a lot of people call the bosses in Elden Ring disappointing, also there are I think over 100 bosses in total, and most of those are dungeon copy and pasted bosses. I fought a troll in one and it was not fun.

Ahhhhh, right. I guess I just assumed otherwise with all of the non-stop praise the game was getting. If I recall, there are I think 81 bosses in the game and only of them are unique. The amount of copy and paste nonsense in the game is unreal and what is funny about that is I remember that being a point of criticism towards Dark Souls 2, copy and paste bosses. This game is that on mega steroids. Most of them are not fun to fight either. Melania, the "hardest boss" I was referring to, has an attack that is entirely RNG and if you get unlucky, it essentially insta-kills you no matter your level, armor or build. There's hardly any bosses in Dark Souls 1 that can do that unless you are very underleveled with barely any or no armor. 

It all frustrated me in Elden Ring on my first playthrough and I've had no desire to ever go back now that I've beaten it once. I do believe that now that the honeymoon phase with the game is mainly over, people will start seeing the cracks in the game more and more. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)
On 2022-05-21 at 7:49 AM, Sunny Man and Izzy Man said:

Playstation better than Xbox

I prefer the Playstation 1-4 controllers to the Xbox controllers, too. 

---

I think FPS games all look the same even though I know they aren't.

• Crafting as a game mechanic can die in a fire, but this game in particular makes a point of making it as obnoxious as possible.

@The Recherche I don't like the overuse of this mechanic and quicktime events.

Edited by Sparklefan1234

I dislike Mortal Kombat as a franchise due to excessive, pointless gore. I just fail to see any appeal in it and feel like gore hides how shallow it'd be otherwise. 

Heroes of might and magic IV, while not being the best game in the franchise is not half as bad as some people claim.

Too much freedom for player in most games is detrimental to immersion. It's especially the case with inventory management, builds (particulary the ability to change them mid-game).

And that's pretty much it.

I think Shigeru Miyamoto is overrated  these days. I don’t think he ever developed anything worthwhile in years. All his created franchises are developed by other people at the helm as far as I know 

4 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Shigeru Miyamoto is overrated  these days

Here comes the response from the Nintendo fan inside of me..... Watch out!

I'll wait until the debate pit opens ;)

Also, Shigeru Miyamoto is not a video game, but he sure would be a good one if he were :kirin:

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-06-15 at 5:04 PM, Splashee said:

Here comes the response from the Nintendo fan inside of me..... Watch out!

I'll wait until the debate pit opens ;)

Also, Shigeru Miyamoto is not a video game, but he sure would be a good one if he were :kirin:

I’m not stating that just because. I’m did so because… has anyone seen anything good coming from him as of late? I think the best he did was Hey Pikmin, and that was a mediocre game at best :huh:

2 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I’m not stating that just because. I’m did so because… has anyone seen anything good coming from him as of late? I think the best he did was Hey Pikmin, and that was a mediocre game at best :huh:

He hasn’t been involved in the creative process for games since the beginning of the 3DS life cycle, just in a producer role. Only game he had any major involvement in was Starfox Zero which….ummm probably made the franchise even more dead. Nowadays he sorta works as an ambassador for Nintendo trying to make it a big media company, he was big on pushing the Mario movie and making “Nintendo Land” a reality 

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-04-26 at 10:29 AM, TheRockARooster said:

Dino Crisis > Resident Evil.

Hide contents

I love Resident Evil.

I think Call Of Duty sucks and is overrated. :P

Couldn't agree more! CoD is a terrible series and needs to stop.

its Copy/Paste the video game.

I don't have many unpopular opinions other than perhaps the disappointment resulting from the expectation created by some of these popular titles. And the misconception of thinking they would be a quick fix for my life issues.
I've seen some of this. People becoming fanatical about games that aren't even out, yet. And fighting against each other over nothing. Just another excuse.

But if I have to answer to the actual question. Then, maybe fallout 4. Which I haven't played much past the introduction, because it seemed like more of fallout 3; a game that never looked like a fallout game to me, despite having the most emblematic elements from the originals plastered all over this new concept, like with the exaggerated representation of a theme park.

The problem being that bethesda is not very adept at making fallout games, which are based on interesting dialogue, quest design, memorable characters and a society that is rebuilding itself after the nuclear holocaust. They are zany games, but that doesn't mean they are unintelligent, illogical or entirely unreal, despite the clear sci-fi elements and humor of these titles. Because said elements are often layered on top of a solid foundation. While in fallout 3, they just took all that zaniness and made it into the actual foundation. A big mistake.
So, many of my preconceived notions were confirmed later on by people who actually played it. Like being forced upon with a task that involved having my character caring for an npc, without providing the time, development or even doing the groundwork to make the player actually care about said npc. Which creates this disconnection between the player and the character people are playing... in an RPG. That is another big mistake to make when you are writing AAA titles.
And they just had an excellent example set for them with fallout new vegas. Just take a look at the branching quest of that game, and how much detail and care went into it. How interesting are many of the main characters and their motives.

To be fair, bethesda did learn some things, but it is like trying to imitate something without truly understanding its core concepts. So, their result is mostly superficial. It looks like an exaggerated version of the original, but that is all there is to it. On the inside, there is "simplicity" itself.
Unfortunately, they just fall short when it comes to create the main components of a role playing games. Dialogue, quests, story and choices.
Especially, in the writing of these elements. Their characters and main quest lines are not very interesting or memorable, despite borrowing some interesting concepts, which are rarely exploited to their full potential. Like with skyrim, for example. There is no depth.

They used to have more capable writers that made for some mystifying lore hinging on vague concepts for the mind to wonder. There was a co-creative process going on between the creators and the community, because that is the purpose of leaving some of these blank spaces, for others to use their own imagination and become involved.
But when it comes to translate these concepts into their most recent games. They do not have the intention to go any further. They struck a simple formula that works, and they seem to be sticking with it because of conformity, complacency and safety. It is like the game engine they keep using over and over again despite the many problems it has brought them. It just works... sometimes. Especially, if you are interested in a modding sandbox where you do anything but to play the actual content of the game.

So, you have these huge worlds filled with very little of substance. And they do have the writing talent, but these individuals are relegated to minor tasks. Meaning there are sparks of brilliance sprinkled throughout the wasteland of mediocrity that makes the vast majority of their recent rpg games, when it comes to dialogue, quest design and main story. That is one of the main problems. The actual writing for the main content is not very good.

• Brohoof 1

I have nothing against The Last of Us as it's a great game, but with the news of the remake coming...

Uncharted 1 > The Last of Us

1 hour ago, Pathfinder Symphony said:

I have nothing against The Last of Us as it's a great game, but with the news of the remake coming...

Uncharted 1 > The Last of Us

I dunno about Uncharted vs tLoU, but I agree Lou looks more like a remaster rather than a remake to start :huh:. Two, tLoU hardly needs a remake anyway >_>

Good multiplayer gaming is completely dead. Multiplayer gaming now is one of a few things; Games that have been abandoned or eclipsed by numerous sequels, free to play money pits that have no worthwhile progression or shitty battle royale garbage. Battle royale in particular usually are supported unlike reason 1, but absolutely fall into reasons 2 and 3. It all makes it impossible for me to have passion for any multiplayer game anymore. Really, the only good one left is the Master Chief Collection. That's a gem in a pile of stinky socks.