Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which video game and gaming stereotypes do you find the most annoying?

Grtxkkyz

As we all know, video games are a nice and sweet form of entertainment for many of us. Problem is, there's a good deal of uneducated people who believe the lies created by stupid stereotypes made about gaming, stereotypes such as "video games foment violent behavior", and so on. So, which video gaming stereotypes do you find the most annoying and stupid?

I think "Gamers are virgins who will never get laid."  is the most annoying and stupid one. 

That stereotype, which exists in every sub group of geeks and nerds, is so annoying! First, its implies that people don't like gamers. I'm dating a gamer! Second, it implies that being a virgin is a bad thing, which it's not. Third, your hobbies won't make you undatable unless your hobby is something terrible that would get you locked up.

• Brohoof 1

Probably the whole "games make you stupid" thing, but that has seem to pass by now. Seemed like it was an excuse for old-time parents to get their children to stop playing video games, but all the studies and stuff have kind of stopped the whole thing. There's always that select few though.

• Brohoof 1

I think "Gamers are virgins who will never get laid."  is the most annoying and stupid one. 

That stereotype, which exists in every sub group of geeks and nerds, is so annoying! First, its implies that people don't like gamers. I'm dating a gamer! Second, it implies that being a virgin is a bad thing, which it's not. Third, your hobbies won't make you undatable unless your hobby is something terrible that would get you locked up.

The hilarious thing is that one of gaming's most prominent demographics is married or well-off men. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

This is more of a misconception than a stereotype, but I don't like when people assume that only males play video games.

I'm a female and I consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer. I also know many other females who could say the same about themselves.

Edited by Venomous
  • Brohoof 4

vthe stereo type that video games cant learn you any morals or anything new. A lot of historical and moral knowledge I have now come from video games and to this day that only gets more and more and I hope game developers will see this and make more games that make you think about the world around us. 

• Brohoof 2

"gamers have no lives"

If you can't see why this isn't dumb then I have no hope fo you considering video games connect people across the world! Most multiplayer games can connect people from Brazil to Finland or China to Hawaii!

• Brohoof 2

"Video games are for children"

I pretty much here this a lot from my family; even though they know of various mature games. :/

• Brohoof 1

This is more of a misconception than a stereotype, but I don't like when people assume that only males play video games.

I'm a female and I consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer. I also know many other females who could say the same anout themselves.

Actually your 100% correct. because 40% of the gaming community is female.

Edited by Zach
  • Brohoof 2

The whole "video games corrupt the poor children!!!" thing. What bullshit. These people who constantly say this are people who don't even play games and just want something to gripe about. Oh, you think violent video games and games with sexual content are horrible for children? Well, don't get them the game then! The ESRB exists for a reason. Pretty sure if a game says "Rated M for Mature" that doesn't mean "Here, let your child play this and complain that it is bad him/her." 

This is why I think AO rated games should be socially acceptable, as again, it is rated AO for ADULTS ONLY and kids aren't supposed to touch those games in the first place. I wish this kind of common sense was on the masses. 

• Brohoof 1

I think generally the fact that some people seem to see a news article about a gamer or something suffering from a deficiency due to their gaming habits, and then they assume that just playing games at all means that OMG U R GONNA DIE IN A HORRIBLE WAY AND NEVER SEE SUNLIGHT EVER AGAIN...just please stop ^_^

• Brohoof 1

I wish this whole "violent video games make people violent" thing would just fuck off forever, there's no scientific evidence to prove this theory, yet people still seem to whine about it.

Hilariously (again) the games people usually spout violence against are usually some of the tamest games out there. Games like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty are downright family-friendly in comparison to a lot of other games. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

The most annoying for me is the more obscure "A video game turns bad when more of its demographic is children".

It seems like demographics shift in big games like Minecraft, Terraria, GMOD and such it automatically turns "bad" because children are playing it. And the problem is that not only regular people but gamers are convinced of this too. Most of the time, that's not the case and it's just nostalgic players complaining.

Close second has to be "Video games are for teens and older". Apparently if you're younger than 13 you don't deserve to be playing the elitist, most popular and "true" games on the shelf...even if it's rated "all ages".

• Brohoof 1

1. Unlike well-written movies and books, video games are incapable of conveying deep, thought provoking messages to such extent.

pyxLXWe.jpg

Keep in mind this quote came from MGS2, a video game made in 2001, and when the Internet is no where near as the state it is today.

2. Video game addiction is fatal, you die from playing video games

If these incidents in which gamers pass out or die from playing too much video games are extremely common, the media wouldn't even bother to report them because they are so ubiquitous (does the media report every single fatal car accident?). However, since these incidents are so rare, the media would not miss out on this opportunity for a few juicy articles to attract eyeballs.

• Brohoof 1

The most annoying stereotype for me has to be either "Only men play video games" or "Video games corrupt children! Because of _________and _________, your child will grow up into a crappy person!" Just because a certain demographic plays a certain video game more than other people do, doesn't mean that it's automatically "bad", like society wants you to think. 

As for the "Only men play video games" one, I will say this:

This stereotype is bullshit, in my opinion, people who believe this deserve to rot in hell. Just because someone is the opposite gender than you, or there's less of them who play video games than the other gender, it still doesn't mean that you should just outright insult them and act like your gender is superior than theirs.

I am yet to hear any that annoy me more than the "violent video games turn people into raging pyscho's" strawman argument. It completely and totally ignores the fact that human beings naturally have aggressive impulses and that said impulses are not a bad thing, but only become a bad thing if not properly channeled. For some people violent video games can be a mean to properly channel said aggressive impulses.

• 6 years later...

I hate any stereotypes, as they put people into categories despite their clear differences. I hate the video game stereotypes that depict gamers as "lazy" or "living in the basement with their parents". Like, many people are gamers who are also successful in life.

Soooooo bloody many. One that really gets me is "Video Games = Lazy" stereotype.

I've copped this one a lot because I like playing them on days where I get to relax at home.

No, I'm not lazy, I just enjoy having my own downtime. When I'm not playing them, yes, I do my part around the house and take care of chores and what have you. But when I'm done with all that or I need a bit of a stress-reliever, I'll sit down and enjoy a game because darn it, it's fun and relaxing. 

• 4 weeks later...

that video games will turn you into a serial killer or something :scoots: seeing articles about that makes me so irritated, it’s clearly sad adults just trying to ruin other people’s fun. 

and i hate the stereotype that people who play as medic in tf2 are furries/gay.. well.. it’s kinda true for me BUT STILL !!!! :Thorax: