Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Buy MLP Episodes Or Watch Them For Free?

Astro Mambo

I watch them on Dailymotion, mainly because I'm a closet brony, there's only one cable TV in the house, and I don't yet own a streaming subscription.

It's much easier to pirate MLP for free than to watch it legitimately, because of the use of legitimate sites like Dailymotion and formerly YouTube. Staggered international releases and digital deals as well as the low distribution and poor online presence of the Discovery Family network here in the US pretty much invite piracy, as does lax copyright enforcement on many legitimate sites.

Edited by Wind Chaser

I bought the first three seasons on DVD, but I later discovered that I could get higher quality, HD versions of the episodes for free.  I would've been perfectly happy to buy each season on blu-ray, but Hasbro seems to have no interest in that format outside of the films.

You can buy them in HD on Amazon Video, Google Play, and iTunes.

Back when i first got into the fandom seasons 1-3 were on youtube so i binged em' on vacation before those got taken down a few years back, i watched season 4 and 5 the same way but now i'm really tempted to buy em' just so i have them and can rewatch them. 

I do both.

Dailymotion, when the episodes are not on Netflix, iTunes, and DVD yet. Season 5 took a a month or two to get on Canadian iTunes.

I buy DVD seasons not only to support Hasbro, but Shout! Factory as well, considering they put my other favourite shows on DVD.

I kinda go crazy a bit and buy them on iTunes before they come out on DVD, besides, the quality on iTunes is better than the DVD's, even though Shout has claimed that not a lot of parents of children own Blu-ray players.

I initially watch the episodes as they're posted online, but I buy the full seasons as they're released on Amazon as well as the Blu Ray DVD combo packs of the EQG films, so I eventually watch them legally.

I've been wondering this for a very long time. When it comes to watching My Little Pony, do you fellow Bronies and Pegasisters watch episodes of the cartoon for free over the internet (Youtube, Netflix (not technically free) and other sources) or do you actually buy the episodes in order to watch them (Itunes, Amazon, DVD)?

Personally, I'd rather own them so I can watch them on the go but recently my purchases of the show from iTunes became corrupt so i need to repurchase them somewhere else. I'm considering just watching the show over Netflix from now on. >_>

So what about you all?

In retrospect this thread belongs in show discussion. I don't think my brain is working properly today, but I will finally get around to doing my moderation duty.:)
  • Brohoof 1

I watch them on youtube. However, I buy them on DVD for my niece as a present.

If there were more of them on DVD and easily accessible at my local DVD/CD stores or toys R Us I'd have bought more for my niece.

I'm thrilled to spend money for the show if I feel the product is actually being used; but if I buy it on Itunes or whatnot its not going to do anything. But if I buy things for charity or a relative, I feel its serving a purpose, yeah?

Like purchasing toys for myself would do jack, but I love buying for charity and for relatives since I feel the toys are serving a purpose.

I don't really rewatch episodes enough to really warrant buying the episodes afterwards. I either catch them live on stream (since I don't have the station it airs on, and even if I did I rarely if ever watch TV anymore) or watch them after the fact on Youtube. I bought Friendship Games on DVD and paid to see Rainbow Rocks in theatres, but that was about it in terms of paying to watch the show. 

I just watch mlp commentaries on youtube, because even though I'd much rather have no person talking over it, I want to watch the full episode and not just clips, and I can't buy anything

Can I save them to my computer hard drive and watch them without having to be connected to the internet or signed into something?

I believe with Google Play you can. Google play has no DRM that I'm aware of.

When I started watching the series everything was already on Netflix. If the seasons were on Blu-ray I’d buy them in a heartbeat, I’m not sure how I’m going to watch season 6 yet.

For new episodes, I watch them on YouTube. (Capture and the stream as an MP4, too) I have a friend who has really come through for me. She managed (through dubious means) to get every single episode, ad and watermark free, and gave them to me on thumb drives. As I got them, I deleted the versions I got from YouTube. Technically, that's wrong, but I really thank her for it. My phone, tablet, and desktop (and two external hard drives, plus burned onto DVDs) all have the whole shebang now, including the Equestria Girls movies.

I watched the first half of season one online, got hooked, and then started buying them.  If I like something, I prefer to support it if I can.  Plus, the episodes on iTunes are really high quality.

For financial reasons, I've got to watch them for free. I've heard the 1st 3 seasons DVDs are being sold cheap, so I may buy them when I get my tax refund

Dailymotion has all the episodes for free, but the last 6+ months it downloads SUPER slow. Amazon downloads way faster but they no longer have any free episodes.