Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Comic Book Thread

Sugarcube

Hey there everypony!

I wanted to see who all reads comics and what comics you are reading currently!

Right now I am really digging the reboot of Batgirl, I like it enough I am buying it by issue vs waiting for the trade.

I am also enjoying Batwoman, err as you can see I love some Bat :D

I am also awaiting the first volume of G.I. JOE Cobra Civil War (Love Love Love what IDW is doing with the G.I. JOE series and seeing more storylines with focus on Cobra, which are always my fav)

There is also a new mini series coming out by IDW called Smoke and Mirrors I want to read, it is about a magician who ends up in a word were magic is real and he is having to pretend he can actually perform magic in order to stay low key, or at least that is the synopsis I have read so far.

Do mangas (Naruto and One Piece) count? I really want to read comic books, more specifically the Batman comics, but I really just have no idea where to even start. From my limited knowledge it seems like theres tons of different series for every character and different origins etc and it kind of confuses me

Do you have any advice for a website I can go to to learn about them or just some quick general knowledge you could share? Sorry I don't want to waste your time or anything lol

(edited)

Manga counts in my book! I should have included it in the title ^___^ and you definitely aren't wasting my time I love to help and get to know other ponies. I went to my local comic book store and talked to the guy who runs it. DC just did a reboot were they set most series back to issue one and the story lines are back at the beginning so I found it easy to jump into the different Batman series. The publisher websites are really helpful too, DC, Marvel and IDW all have databases that give the synopsis of the story arch and what issues are avalible or if they have released a trade (where instead of individual issues they grouped them into a paperback like a graphic novel). I recently got back into comics and I know how daunting it is to jump in because of the sheer volume of stuff out there. Oh, do you have any Manga recommendations?

Edited by Sugarcube
  • Brohoof 1

I used to read the Sonic comics. Never really got much of them though. My dad did give me his whole collection of old Marvel and DC comics. I read some from time to time.

Manga counts in my book! I should have included it in the title ^___^ and you definitely aren't wasting my time I love to help and get to know other ponies. I went to my local comic book store and talked to the guy who runs it. DC just did a reboot were they set most series back to issue one and the story lines are back at the beginning so I found it easy to jump into the different Batman series. The publisher websites are really helpful too, DC, Marvel and IDW all have databases that give the synopsis of the story arch and what issues are avalible or if they have released a trade (where instead of individual issues they grouped them into a paperback like a graphic novel). I recently got back into comics and I know how daunting it is to jump in because of the sheer volume of stuff out there. Oh, do you have any Manga recommendations?

Thanks for the advice, I might check those sites out later. My brother goes to the comic stores all the time too so maybe I'll go with him and ask the people about it if I get the chance.

I don't read many mangas, Naruto and One Piece are really the only ones that I can spend a lot of time reading but they're both really good. The fans of them are kind of rivals too so it's funny sometimes to watch them go at it. I usually go to mangareader.net or mangahere.com to read them, they also have top 10-20 lists of the most frequently read mangas and you usually can't go wrong if you read those.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I use to read Sonic too letterOne.

I guess what I find so inticing about comics is my college degree requires a lot of heavy reading and while I love books and I love to read and I enjoy most of what I read is comics are a nice little break and I can read them quickly and still get my school reading done. Same with Manga, I will have to check those out Hollowshield, the local library carries manga to check out so they will go on my summer reading list

Edited by Sugarcube

I never was much for American Comics, only one I ever even liked was Archie's Sonic comics and some Spawn. Tried reading others like Superman and Witchblade and it just didn't do it for me.

I'm more of a manga guy myself. Favorite manga are: Love Hina, Negima, Jing: King of Bandits, A Town Where You Live, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, Gamble Fish, Hana Kimi...

That isn't even to speak of all the anime I love on top of that. xD

I used to read the DBZ comic books, but that was a long time ago. Aside from that, I read the Finnish "Donald Duck" comics when I'm bored. It isn't "serious" reading, it's just something I do sometimes. I'd like to start reading some comic with a longer story, but right now I don't want to spend much money on comics...and I don't even know where I would get them ^_^.

i still reads all the old stuff, and they are still awesome!

like:

Lobo, spawn, darkness, magnum, tintin, asterix and obelix and many many more!

and the norwegian Comic Pondus

• 2 weeks later...

Sonic the Hedgehog aww yea! I've got a pretty sweet collection that I'll try and post a picture of soon. So many moneys spent. Other than that, I was into Spawn for awhile but lost interest quickly when it got too confusing.

I like to read a lot of the Aliens and Predators comics.

Including the crossovers which are my absolute favorite.

It still makes me sad that AVP 1&2 sucked so much considering there was so much source material to work with there.

Relatively new to comics, just started reading the Green Lantern series (Blackest Night, Red Lanterns, New Guardians, ect.), though I was a big fan of Manga throughout highschool.

Thinking of looking into the new Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) reboot, considering what I've heard of the series. On that note though, who here has heard of or is a fan of the web series "Atop The 4th Wall"?

• 5 weeks later...

I've been rereading the (relatively new) Batman & Robin comics by Grant Morrison. Also been rereading Ultimate Spider-Man. Haven't gotten anything new, but I've been meaning to buy some of DC's New 52 comics. Has anybody read them? Or any Flash comics?

• 2 weeks later...

Whole bunch of X-men,Marvel Zombies,Deadpool Corps,Spider-man and JLA that I was able to get from a thrift shop, cuz' all the local comic shops went belly-up rather recently. Not even bookstores were spared that day...

• 3 months later...

so I thought i'd make this thread because we don't have one and i like talking about comics

pretty much what the title says this thread is for talking about all things comic and superhero related so i'll start of with some the simple stuff

1) Favorite Superhero?

2) Favorite Comic?

3) DC or Marvel or Nether?

4) What are you currently reading?

also for anyone who isn't big on comics feel free to just come here and talk about super hero's ( just don't go overboard with Batman :)

now to answer my questions

1. Aquaman

2. The Old Man Logan tray

3. DC (comic wise and only just)

4. I'm currently playing catch up on the DC new 52 Zero Issues and i've just bought some Green Lantern comic just to play catch up, i also go the Blackest Night and Brightest day trays. other then that i've just finished reading the newest issue of batman with the return of the joker and the newest Avenging Spiderman.

so yeah now i'll cross my fingers and hope we have some posts here.... *sets base camp*