Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Why does your family drive you NUTS?

Fluttergirly

My family is a thing I love. I'll declare that now. I don't see my extended family, cousins and all that, so when I talk about family I mean those I am immediately related to.

Quite often though, they drive me nuts. I'm 22 but I have a 9 year old brother. He drives me nuts sometimes because he is 9.

I live at home with my parents. I love them but they drive me nuts sometimes. My dad can be a bit on the strict side even though I'm 22. This gets me mad on occasion.

Right now though, its my mum who is driving me nuts. She has suffered for most of her life with manic depression/bipolar disorder. She takes medication but it doesn't stop all of her episodes. It can get difficult for us as a family when when is in one of her extremes. They would be a lot worse if she wasn't medicated but even so we all have to be at the whims of her emotions.

I love her very much and understand it is something which is part of her which she struggles with every day. She often can't remember whole patches of time in her life when she was either manic or depressed. We all remember them and it is especially confusing for my little brother who doesn't understand why mum is in a foul mood one day and buying him loads of presents on amazon the next day.

Today really got to me as for the longest time she's been back and forth about getting dogs. We've already got 4 cats and I'm the only one home all day as I work from home. Who will get lumped with all the dog care? I really feel petteed out. I love animals very much but I don't feel its being kind to many of them to squish them together in a small house, especially as our cat group is established.

Tonight my mum declared the same. She couldn't devote her time to dogs. Theres no room for them. I'd be having to do all their care. The cats would be stressed... And so on.

Next week this will probably reverse, as it was reversed last week... And that's what drives me nuts.

Long rant over. I'm just being honest as an opener for everyone else. We've all got things that get us riled about our loved ones... This is a space to vent!!!

;):);):)

• Brohoof 10

My family is actually pretty great. I only get annoyed by my parents trying overly hard to get me into their religion (I prefer to stay open minded about the supernatural details of life, so I don't belong to a specific religion) and how because of their religion I can't color my hair or wear makeup just because I'm a guy. My brother also gets on my nerves about his strictness of behavior and his intolerance of my sexuality. Other than that I'm happy to have what I've got :D

• Brohoof 1

I love my family to pieces :D

But my mum sometimes is a little too um...over the top? ^_^ She seems to think that unless I'm perfectly modelling her example, I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong haha~ drives me insane

• Brohoof 1

Well i know my family is uhhh.... weird i like it ;).The only thing is they really dony understand me. What i like to do is weird (not only mlp they dont know)I feel left out every thing i do is wrong. and i am getting insane that i cant tell them most of my live that i am bronie what is happening on school. just ugh.

• Brohoof 1

I feel so fortunate to have the family that I was born into. However, they do drive me crazy sometimes.

Anyone who's met me probably knows that I really like science. My mother is more of the artistic type, so we tend to have differing opinions sometimes, but always get through it in the end. We're both creative people, though, so we'll have enjoyable times a lot.

My family is not consummate. However, we sort things out before they become a problem. I think that is why our bonds are so strong.

• Brohoof 1

I love my family. My dad is pretty cool. He gets mad sometimes but it's normally for a pretty good reason. My mom is very nice, but she kinda acts like the world revolves around her. She also yells a lot. My brother is kinda a dick. We have similar interests in music but he hates everything else I do and constantly harasses me about everything. Were also twins which really sucks. He's the hot, awesome, likeable twin, and I'm the nerdy weird one. Oh well.

I don't see my extended family because they don't live near. 

• Brohoof 1

You really want to know? Okay here we go:

My father is agressive sometimes, he loves making fun of the things I love an he's quite pushy about my school grades and everything I do even though he doesn't know that himself. He has ADHD and hates it if we are busy

My two younger brothers (12 and 9) and the loudest kids on earth, they can't do anything together because they'll try to kill each other. The 12-year-old one is autistic and has heavy dyslexie. The 9-year-old is like my but then a younger, boy version. Because we both have ADHD and a bit dyslexie and a lot of imagnation.

My mother is the only 'normal' one of our family, and I love her verry much. She helps us with everything but her most time goes to my younger brothers and her job. I try to help her as much as I can but that's hard sometimes :/

But we can also look like normal family, even though we are a little bit more chaotic, and I love them all verry much. Tey are the best family in the world and I wouldn't change them.

• Brohoof 1

I haven't lived with my family for a number of years now but I keep in regular contact with my father and older brother.  I do love my father, he is very helpful when it comes to financial matters, advice, and he will always help me out in a sticky situation but , there have been several times when he has been drunk, got very nasty and said some thing that will stick in my mind for a very long time, needless to say they were extremely hurtful and were the reason I moved away in the first place. 

Now I keep in contact with him pretty much every day but don't see the rest of my family that much, I actually quite enjoy not having to rely on a family and having my independence at quite a young age. :D 

• Brohoof 1

I honestly hate most of my family. Many of the people in it are idiots, they barely have any personality of their own or real interests and they irritate me to no end. So I don't associate with my family much at all, except for my brother, he is the only cool person in my family. 

• Brohoof 5

Family is great. I'm 24. I'd be lying if I said that they don't drive me nuts.

I don't like that they suddenly decide what I'm going to do the next day. Most of the time, they pick cleaning or watching my overly destructive little brother. It ruins everything I have planned that day but there is nothing I can do about it. I'm unable to move forward in life with college or a job because of a complex situation that doesn't involve me but it does affect me. Hell I can't go out and do what I really want to do most of the time. How am I supposed to have friends if I can't ever hang out with them? :=:     My little sister gets to have fun and hang out with friends, why can't I? :okiedokielokie: ​  It all spirals down into feelings of loneliness and uselessness which drives me up a wall. >_> I can't stand that feeling. It also raises the question of me doubting my own future because what if it never ends? What if I'm forever stuck at the point of not being able to have money and something happens to them? I'd be screwed. :diamondtiara:  It is a nightmare to always be haunted by those thoughts.  ​  :pout:  When will it end? When will my life actually begin? I have absolutely no idea because it isn't even within my own control.

:(  ​Depressing stuff for me to think about. Keeps me awake at night.   ​

Edited by RainbowDarth
  • Brohoof 5

Honestly? My mom has a drinking problem (which is slightly improving thankfully), can be very emotionally abusive, and very VERY selfish. My dad is cool, but I feel like there's only so much I can tell him.  I do love my family, but half of the time I don't really like them, and I don't think I could ever truly forgive them for some of the things they've done to me.

If it's one thing my mom taught me it was what NOT  to do to my kids. I really don't want to continue the cycle of abuse, I'm determined to end it. 

• Brohoof 2

Just at times I don't feel like talking when I get home and just want to read or be alone and my family  (mom) will keep talking to me even if I ask her to stop!  >_>

• Brohoof 2

These might seems petty, but here it goes.

- My parents' first languages aren't English. It bothers me when they don't use proper English, which tends to happen a lot. I've gotten used to it, but it still bothers me especially since I'm a big grammar nut. I know it's hard to learn a new language that isn't your own, but after a few decades of living in Murica you kind of expect them to get the hang of things already. I know, it's a petty and kind of a rude thing to say. I'm sorry if it offends anyone who doesn't know English well, but at times it's hard to live with people like this.

- My dad is so close minded. He hates everything that isn't "normal" such as homosexuality and other things. I'm not gay myself, but god damn. It just hurts listening to someone so close minded. He also judges people without getting to know them, and he thinks he knows everything about people, which is a big pet peeve of mine.

- My dad has this mindset that I should know certain things because of my gender. I have no idea how many times he has said something along the lines of "You should know how to do (insert something here), you're a girl!". I guess in some cases it might be true, but when it comes to furniture choices, cleaning, doing laundry, and other things, he comes to me for help. Why? I don't know much about most of these things, and it pisses me off that I'm "supposed to" know it because of my gender and not because of my knowledge or intelligence. It's pretty obvious that he always wanted a boy, and he even told me that once when I was younger (which understandably shocked me and impacted me greatly), but god damn dude.

- The only thing I remember about my mom that drove me nuts when I lived with her was being overprotective, especially when it came to the internet. She always needs to know who I'm talking to, what I'm doing, where I'm going, etc. I'm pretty sure I know A LOT more about the internet than she does, so I know what I'm doing. I know she's just trying to protect me and everything, and I keep her tips in mind (such as don't give out person information). It just gets annoying and I end up having to do everything in secret.

Sorry for the long ass post. Just needed somewhere to vent, I guess.

• Brohoof 4