Member Berry

Health How can I make myself tired at night?

I have a problem where I'm wide awake at night and tired in the morning and day. I could be exhausted at 4pm but will wake up completely at about 8/9pm. It's like I'm programmed to be nocturnal.

I went through a phase where I was sleeping pretty much all day and was awake all night. I sorted that out (somewhat) as it was making me very depressed. 

I only really fall asleep at night now because I take Mirtazapine, which is an anti-depressant that also treats insomnia. It still takes me about an hour to fall asleep though :/ (still better than I was before) 

I would just like to become tired at night like a normal person and not have to resort to taking prescription medication.

Edited by Conspiracy.
  • Brohoof 2

Go to bed early. No hot beverages after dinner. Don't put the computer on your lap in bed. Take deep breaths. Turn off some lights. Read a book. Fitter happier more productive. Not drinking too much. Regular exercise 3 days a week at the gym. Eating well- no more microwave dinners and saturated fats. A safer car (baby smiling in back seat). Fond but not in love. No killing moths or putting boiling water on the ants. No chance of escape. An empowered and informed member of society. Pragmatism not idealism. Will not cry in public. Less chance of illness. Still cries at a good film, still kisses with saliva. No longer empty and frantic. The ability to laugh at weakness. A pig in a cage on antibiotics. To sleep, once more, forever.

And yeah, clop too or whatever, that works too.

• Brohoof 2

Well I might just have something similar, have you tried meditation?

Have a shot or two of whiskey or wine.

makes you sleepy and more relaxed 

This is very interesting to me, because I'm f*ckin nuts when it comes to my sleep schedule.  I naturally tend to be nocturnal...most of the time.  Without really trying, my schedule will begin to creep forward a little each day.  I go to bed a little later and get up a little later, until eventually I'm a complete vampire.  I'll then stick to this vampiric schedule for a few months, and then at some point, without fail, my body will violently reject it.  At that point, my body will absolutely refuse to sleep during daylight hours, and I'll become a farmer.  Up at dawn, wiped at dusk, in bed at 8pm.  I'll be a farmer for a couple of weeks, and then the schedule creep will begin again, and after a month or so, I'll be a vampire again.  And so it goes.  I've tried to fix it, but I can't.  I have no control over it whatsoever.  It all stems from the fact that I don't adhere well to a 24 hour day.  I'd be better suited to a 36 hour day.  Asleep for 12 hours, awake for 24, that's what I'd prefer.  I've become happier since I decided not to fight my weird schedule, but just accept it.

So, to actually answer your question....I have no idea.  Be nocturnal until your body says, "f*ck you, I'm not doing this sh*t anymore"?  Lol, I'm not the best person to give sleeping advice.

• Brohoof 1

Badges

I've found that it takes me about an hour or two after I've been looking at a screen to feel really tired. Maybe, if you don't already do this, cut off your screen time before you start to get ready to go to bed.

Some good old fashioned wanking has helped me before when I have had trouble sleeping though I have also noticed that the fewer lights I have on the easier and faster I can get to sleep and tend to turn off the computer an hour before I go to bed. I also often need a bit of time to relax before I can fully go to sleep so I will watch TV for a little while and then usually fall asleep after a while.

I don't know how to make you fall asleep, but somethings that you can do to not keep yourself up... don't eat at least 4 hours before you are planning on going to bed, and especially stay off your phone and computer when it starts to get dark out. Reading a book can help your eyes get tired, but looking at bright screens tricks your body into thinking that it's daytime and it will be harder to fall asleep! Hope this helps!

How about not looking in Mlp forums when it's 1 AM?

Badges

1. Don't watch TV or be on the computer an hour before you plan to sleep. The light reflected off of most screens actually tells your brain that it's daytime, and thus you'll be releasing chemicals to wake you up rather than prepare you for sleep.

2. Don't eat within the frame of bedtime - You don't want to start digesting something new while lying in bed. 

3. Don't exercise within the frame of beditme - Elevating your heart rate will not help you to relax and sleep. In fact, it will make you more energetic. 

4. Try a meditation or calming session.

5. Maybe drink soothing tea hour before.

6. Make your bed only for sleep and sex - meaning you don't sit on it and do other activities.

7. Turn off the lights or dim them before sleep. 

8. If you can't sleep after an hour (but don't stare at the clock and count), then go into another room (if you can) and turn the lights off there and try to sleep.

Also I wouldn't recommend pills too much. The Human body has a wonderful way of being lazily efficient, and if a task is completed without its instruction, then it simply will stop doing it, and you'll have a worse problem. This is why you can't have too many depression pills, because your body will naturally stop producing the chemicals  (if it ever did, sometimes it doesn't), and why laxatives are bad, too. 

I've heard that looking at a computer screen or watching T.V within an hour before going to bed does interrupt sleeping, So perhaps if you read a book or something before you decide to go to bed would help?

are you on any other meds? they could be keeping you awake.

totally cut out caffeine "yes chocolate to because it has caffeine in it"

cut out sugar also, and relax and don't think

Many of the above posts have good information. Let me offer a few things that have been missed:

-Drinking a tea containing Chamomile, or Valerian about an hour before bed. If you can get the herbs by themselves it's nice because you can make the tea/herbal infusion as strong as you like.

-Make a tincture of the above herbs. Just Google "how to make a tincture". A tincture is a herbal infusion in a media (usually an alcohol) they are taken by putting a few drops under the tongue, and are nice because they're fairly fast acting.

Ultimately, nothing aside from narcotics will "make" you sleepy. The best thing that you can do is help your mind to accept the fact that you are sleepy. Some people have sugfested meditation or deep breaths to help this. Let me take that suggestion a step further.

-Try a specific type of Qigong breathing called "Dan Tien" (specifically the lower dantien).To get the feel for it sitting a comfortable chair with your feet on the floor about shoulder width apart. Sit up straight, and imagine a thread attached to the crown of your head that pulls you up and elongates you. Spend a minute noticing places where your body isn't relaxed, and relax them. Now envision a spot about four finger widths below your navel (this is your Lower Dantien).

Now, breathe in deeply through your nose, and out through the mouth. As you do so, visualize your breath going to and from the spot below your navel.

It takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it you'll start to notice yourself becoming relaxed and probably sleepy.

This is the breathing that we all do when we're babies,before we complicate our lives. (watch one sleep sometime only their stomach rises and falls) Breathing this way, your body dictates to your mind that everything is safe, and peaceful. a once you get the hang, you can use it any time you need to calm down, and it is even helpful to sit and breathe like this when you poop because it relaxes your lower body.

I hope you find this helpful!

• Brohoof 1

Try going for a decent walk like an hour before you want to go to sleep, gives your body a small workout and i've found it really helps me.

• Brohoof 1

Badges

Funnily enough I bought some camomile tea about a week ago as I heard it can help anxiety (there's actually some research supporting it too) I drank one cup last night, didn't feel any different so drank another cup and put two tea bags in the second cup. After three tea bags I felt noticeably calmer :| I slept better too. It could be a placebo effect but it seemed to work so I don't care if it is or not.

I've taken valium before, it wasn't prescribed to me but my boyfriend gave me one of his (naughty, I know) It actually felt like I has taken a mild valium :|

I have some more tea right now :P

Edited by Conspiracy.

One thing that always helps me is to let my mind wander and go to weird places. For example, thinking about something like Twinkies with wings flying in a rainbow-coloured void filled with pink marshmellow clouds doesn't make any logical sense to me, so my brain's like 'Huh, that's weird...why in the world would I think of that?'. The idea is that by allowing my mind to think of such absurd, dream-like thoughts, it'll bring me into a dream-like state and subsequently closer to sleep. Don't know if there's an actual science behind that but it works for me. :)

Otherwise you can try and just think of happy, calming thoughts.

Other users have mentioned this, but I might as well state it again: Cutting down on the amount of computer screen time before going straight to bed is important, as exposure to light suppresses the production of melatonin, which is a chemical produced in your body when it's 'time to go to sleep'.

ALSO! Be careful how many caffeinated drinks you consume throughout your day, as caffeine can stay in your system for up to six hours. One at the start of your day is fine, but if you say, drink one a couple hours before bed, expect difficulty in sleeping.

Edited by Makazi
  • Brohoof 2

Try some kind of simple workout, like jogging or squats. That can potentially make you tired and as a bonus it can relieve stress if you are feeling any. There are other ideas mentioned above that work well too. Another thing I like to do is listen to either really calming music or listen to some kind of white noise, these also can make me sleepy. 

• Brohoof 2

Well, whenever i have a hard time sleeping, i usually read a nice book. It helps relax me and makes me feel calm enough to lie down peacefully. I also usually avoid eating too much at dinner, just some fresh fruit and a nice warm glass of tea or milk. I usually try to do exercise every day, it makes me feel tired enough to sleep much better, heh heh.

• Brohoof 2

Exhaust yourself during the day, try avoiding any stimulating activities you might be doing at later hours (don't do too many physically taxing tasks, avoid drinking caffeine, etc...). Try slowing yourself down with a hearty meal (nothing with a high concentration of sugar). Basically what I can think of =/

Badges

It does actually help me a bit :P but it still can take me forever to fall asleep. I think I may have delayed sleep phase syndrome, I haven't been diagnosed with that or anything but it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Try taking ~10mg of melatonin about 15 minutes before you go to bed. You may need more or less, it varies depending on size, metabolism, etc. Its over the counter, so no perscription required. Also, stop looking at screens roughly 30 minutes to an hour before going to bed, they stimulate your brain make it harder to fall asleep. As others have suggested, having a fap can also help.

• Brohoof 1

Could I take melatonin with my Mirtazapine? I don't fancy not taking my mirtazapine as I'm kind of dependant on it sadly.

I'm exactly the same as you. It's 5am right now and I have work today. I have insomnia and horrible sleeping patterns. I might have to call in sick. I'm pretty much reliant on prescription drugs to get myself to sleep.

• Brohoof 1

Next time you visit your family doctor, ask him/her if you are able to take Melatonin and some Magnesium, because those are sleep aids, and the magnesium helps you relax.

• Brohoof 1

Read a book, put on soothing music, do exercise an hour before bed, make a nice hot beverage.