Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Nintendo isn't "cheaper"

If say a game is worth $40 used by many stores, but the company decides to lower the price of a new copy still in stores to $20, the used price shoots down instantly to match it.

False. I've seen many instances, particularly at Gamestop, where the publisher tells them to drop the price on a new copy, and the used copy remains the same.

Or they'll do the two game bundles that are cheaper new than any combination of the games included used or new.

Just looked up one I knew of off the top of my head.

ucX8loI.png

False. I've seen many instances, particularly at Gamestop, where the publisher tells them to drop the price on a new copy, and the used copy remains the same.

Yeah but it will eventually drop because no one is going to buy a used copy for more than a new one. This is such a rare occurrence that I don't really feel it matters. A majority of the time, used is cheaper than new when they are both sold in the same place at the same time.

And that's the problem, Nintendo purposely prints low copies to keep prices high. It's kind of crappy.

It's not their fault though. The game didn't sell well at all, hitting bargain bins soon after release, and they decided not to reprint. Only now with recent newfound interest in the series with Awakening and Fates did prices start to skyrocket

Well marketplaces like Ebay and such is because people are trying to inflate the value of older games to keep collection values high, but in terms of games from this generation which only recently went out of print, Nintendo and publishers have a direct effect on used game sales (not necessarily retro after a certain point though). If say a game is worth $40 used by many stores, but the company decides to lower the price of a new copy still in stores to $20, the used price shoots down instantly to match it.

Again, I still don't think they have any effect on used game sales, there are plenty of instances where I found used copies of games to be MORE expensive than new ones(which makes absolutely zero sense). Hell used copies of games like Metroid Prime Trilogy and Marvel Vs Capcom 2 are still ridiculously expensive, even after they were rereleased for much cheaper digitally 

It's not their fault though. The game didn't sell well at all, hitting bargain bins soon after release, and they decided not to reprint. Only now with recent newfound interest in the series with Awakening and Fates did prices start to skyrocket

Again, I still don't think they have any effect on used game sales, there are plenty of instances where I found used copies of games to be MORE expensive than new ones(which makes absolutely zero sense). Hell used copies of games like Metroid Prime Trilogy and Marvel Vs Capcom 2 are still ridiculously expensive, even after they were rereleased for much cheaper digitally 

Well that is more or less because digital doesn't allow you to own the physical copy, however while Radiant Dawn is not a good example, I am pretty confident enough copies of Twilight Princess were released to where they didn't need to sell it for $60 4 years later. >_>

False. I've seen many instances, particularly at Gamestop, where the publisher tells them to drop the price on a new copy, and the used copy remains the same. Or they'll do the two game bundles that are cheaper new than any combination of the games included used or new.   Just looked up one I knew of off the top of my head.

Fair enough, I am mistaken. However companies generally don't CARE about used games. Nintendo WANTS used games to be expensive because it makes buying new more appealing. They don't make money on used sales, so they want to force new purchases. Keeping the price of new high generally keeps the price of used high. The effect doesn't seem to work in reverse in terms of lowering price, but I don't think there is any denying that a majority of the time if a game is still $60 new, you'll have a hard time finding it for $20 used because used game sellers want to maximize profit.

That being said, I submit that you have a point, but ultimately it doesn't really change much in terms of Nintendo keeps the prices high for an unreasonably long period of time.

When it comes down to it, Nitendo is about the same price. Nitendo could actually charge anything they wanted considering the exclusiveness of their games to their own console. 

Not really considering people aren't buying, so clearly Nintendo can't just do anything and get away with it. :P

if a game is still $60 new, you'll have a hard time finding it for $20 used because used game sellers want to maximize profit
This is simply due to the fact that stores like Gamestop don't have to pay the publisher on used games. If a new game sells for $60, they get, say, 10%? So $6. But the same game, used for $55, the company pockets $55.

This is simply due to the fact that stores like Gamestop don't have to pay the publisher on used games. If a new game sells for $60, they get, say, 10%? So $6. But the same game, used for $55, the company pockets $55.

Yeah used game sales can suck for publishers. :c

Yeah used game sales can suck for publishers. :c

This is true, but stores that deal almost exclusively in gaming need the ability to sell used, or they won't be able to stay afloat for long. They don't have the extra sales from other departments that chain stores do. BestBuy has all their other electronics, car equipment, household appliances, etc. Walmart has everything for everyone. Target has everything for everyone at a slightly higher price, with the added bonus of not being Walmart.

In my own experience, the games that are out of production are what really become the most expensive, used or new.

Try buying the entire series for .hack// today. There are 2 sets of games, totaling 7 games.

Here's what the first set (4 games) costs at the time of this post:

vw4hXQz.png

$125 per game, new. $68.75 per game, used. And it's not even all 7 games in the series.

^Just to be clear, that was agreeing that Nintendo is not cheaper, and that used games can be bananas.

This is true, but stores that deal almost exclusively in gaming need the ability to sell used, or they won't be able to stay afloat for long. They don't have the extra sales from other departments that chain stores do. BestBuy has all their other electronics, car equipment, household appliances, etc. Walmart has everything for everyone. Target has everything for everyone at a slightly higher price, with the added bonus of not being Walmart.

In my own experience, the games that are out of production are what really become the most expensive, used or new.

Try buying the entire series for .hack// today. There are 2 sets of games, totaling 7 games.

Here's what the first set (4 games) costs at the time of this post:

sig-4393749.vw4hXQz.png

$125 per game, new. $68.75 per game, used. And it's not even all 7 games in the series.

^Just to be clear, that was agreeing that Nintendo is not cheaper, and that used games can be bananas.

Oh god, my wife really wants those games and we've had a long annoying talk about how overpriced they are now. Sadly collectors like to gouge the prices because the truth is... A lot of collectors not only want to make top dollar, but there is sort of an aura about retro gaming that a lot of the retro fans emit that they basically don't want too many people getting into it. I don't know why, but it may come from feeling "superior" for playing older games, but they don't want everyone to do it because then they lose that feelings. There are so many issues in the retro scene, but that's a whole other topic.

• 6 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nintendo's continued insistence to charge high end for their first party titles no matter what is certainly infuriating. Take Splatoon 2. Splatoon 3, the y'know sequel, is out now and what is the price of Splatoon 2? Still $50 minimum, probably $60 on the eShop still. Pikmin 4 was announced recently. So one would assume that Pikmin 3 would get a price drop, especially since it is a port of a friggin Wii U game in the first place. Nope, still full price. Nintendo has this ego this generation that is maddening, to say the least.

On 2022-10-04 at 12:17 PM, Kyoshi said:

Nintendo's continued insistence to charge high end for their first party titles no matter what is certainly infuriating. Take Splatoon 2. Splatoon 3, the y'know sequel, is out now and what is the price of Splatoon 2? Still $50 minimum, probably $60 on the eShop still. Pikmin 4 was announced recently. So one would assume that Pikmin 3 would get a price drop, especially since it is a port of a friggin Wii U game in the first place. Nope, still full price. Nintendo has this ego this generation that is maddening, to say the least.

It is frustrating how the prices for Nintendo titles never seem to drop and sales are rare. Titles by other companies I can count on price reductions fairly quickly AND sales very frequently. Nintendo's just like... selling Wii U ports for $60, including Wii U games that didn't even cost $60 at release on the Wii U (Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze).

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, Envy said:

It is frustrating how the prices for Nintendo titles never seem to drop and sales are rare. Titles by other companies I can count on price reductions fairly quickly AND sales very frequently. Nintendo's just like... selling Wii U ports for $60, including Wii U games that didn't even cost $60 at release on the Wii U (Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze).

Exactly. Remember the Nintendo Selects thing? That is nowhere in sight five and half years after the Switch launched. It is ridiculous.