Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Pokemon Sun and Moon Confirmed

Moved to Elsewhere

"The best defense is a good offense."  So...  You're saying that Call of Duty games are comparable to Pokemon games in that both franchises continue to produce similar iterations?  Because I hardly think your original comment was even relevant otherwise.

No.

Allow me to clarify so there is no further confusion:

I am stating that Pokemon and Nintendo fans commonly criticize Call of Duty because they perceive it to be the same game every year. However if Call of Duty players turn that criticism around back at them and point out how Pokemon recycles the exact same concept, exact same story, and just makes tiny little changes that Nintendo fans will defend Pokemon despite it being exactly what they are criticizing about Call of Duty even though Call of Duty is not nearly as rehashed as Pokemon. Pokemon is far more rehashed than Call of Duty, but it's totally okay to trash talk Call of Duty for being "the same game every year" even though Pokemon is FAR more rehashed than Call of Duty. Call of Duty introduces significant changes in every installment, and without getting too much into it, I can list all the ways that Pokemon is far more rehashed and a rip off than Call of Duty is off the top of my head right at this exact moment:

• Pokemon almost never introduces new game modes, Call of Duty does. The closest I would say would be the contests they briefly added in Ruby and Sapphire.
  • The basic mechanics of Pokemon generally stay the same for a few games so that they can keep compatibility battle wise and trade wise with later installments, Call of Duty does major mechanical changes because they don't have to worry about compatibility. The battles work exactly the same in X and Y as they do in AR and OS, and more than likely they will work the same in these games so that they don't lose compatibility. Literally making the gameplay: the same.
  • Pokemon releases TWO games at the same time, identical games and it requires both to "complete" one.
  • The plot is virtually identical in every Pokemon game, whereas CoD has a new plot every game.

I could go on, but for the sake of not derailing the thread, I'll leave it at that and perhaps we should discuss this elsewhere. The point is that Pokemon is literally the same game every single year and people rush out and buy it and the same exact people will claim Call of Duty is like that when it's not, but it's totally okay for THEM to do it because Pokemon. I am saying the games are not comparable but that Pokemon is actually what most Pokemon fans criticize Call of Duty for being, even though it's not and Pokemon is.

Edited by Guest

@@Key Sharkz: Are you done text-walling about Call of Duty in the Pokemon thread?  Let people be excited about what they're excited about.  I'm not even interested in the new Pokemon titles, and I'm able to manage that.  And if you do feel as though Pokemon games are blatant rehashes, you shouldn't have had cause to inform people about how much of a rip-off the latest installment will be.  Since, you know...

People are actually familiar with this long-running and fairly successful franchise.  It's Pokemon.

• Brohoof 1

@@Key Sharkz: Are you done text-walling about Call of Duty in the Pokemon thread?  Let people be excited about what they're excited about.  I'm not even interested in the new Pokemon titles, and I'm able to manage that.  And if you do feel as though Pokemon games are blatant rehashes, you shouldn't have had cause to inform people about how much of a rip-off the latest installment will be.  Since, you know...

People are actually familiar with this long-running and fairly successful franchise.  It's Pokemon.

I wasn't aware this thread was only for praising this new announcement of Pokemon. I was under the impression this was our thoughts on the announcements. Those are my thoughts, but please I wasn't aware you set the rules of what sort of thoughts are acceptable to have about the Pokemon announcement.

Sorry I don't like the franchise and I think it needs to stop, but guess what this is neutral thread where anyone can share their like or dislike of the franchise and you are being rude to try and tell me to more or less shut up because you don't like my opinion on it.

That being said, let us both not continue this here as it has nothing to do with the thread at this point.

Sorry I don't like the franchise and I think it needs to stop, but guess what this is neutral thread where anyone can share their like or dislike of the franchise and you are being rude to try and tell me to more or less shut up because you don't like my opinion on it.

Doesn't bother me that you don't like the franchise; it's been a long time since I really enjoyed a main series Pokemon game.  I don't even necessarily disagree with your opinion.  My issue's little to do with your opinion and more to do with how you presented it. 

There's no need for you to either defend Call of Duty or "get your review on"; you probably weren't telling anyone anything they haven't already realized on their own.  You opened by calling fans fanboys, and then you began to behave in what could be perceived as a comparable manner.  Successive Call of Duty games are (or have been) similar to each other; so have Pokemon games.  Regardless of their agreed-upon similarity, any Pokemon fan worth their Gardevoir could probably produce a long list of things that have changed between generations.  All that actually matters is which franchise you're interested in playing.

Also: I'm surprised by the choice of "Sun" and "Moon."  They've used colors, precious metals, gemstones, and chromosomes letters.  I'm curious as to how much mileage they'll get out of celestial bodies.

• Brohoof 2

Pokemon Sun and Pokemon Moon sounds like this game and generation will be interesting. Hopefully this version's storyline and gameplay is more lengthy and memorable than the previous one.

Being the game franchise's 20th anniversary, I'm glad to hear Pokemon has come this far. I'll always be exciting to hear more in the upcoming years or so.

I can safely say I'm really looking forward to Pokemon Sun and Moon. I'm unsure if which I'll get, though, at the moment - I'll likely end up with both. :) Can't wait to hear more about it and take a look at some more of the new Pokemon! :love: I've been a big fan of the franchise for a while now. :D

Edited by Wolves
  • Brohoof 1

That's rather interesting. I do love some of the games that Japan produces, but I certainly would love it if they branch out beyond just local consumers. It could potentially do all kinds of amazing things to help improve the games they create.

Although based on another interview I've found, Japan also has the tendency to be in love with certain franchises until a certain time of period. First it was all about Doraemon, then it was all about Pokémon and nowadays it's about Yōkai Watch.

I think it will be a Hell of a job to branch out.

I found an old interview about the rhetoric, almost similar to the other interview.

http://www.wired.com/2010/09/western-games-japan/

Bethesda mocked the outdated JRPGs and FFXIII during the New Vegas Campaign with quotes like:

"What's the point of playing again if there's no change to the story."

"When did games become something that you watch?"

"a game where you just follow the scenario is like living life on rails,"

"it would be nice if the main character had a mission aside from just wiping out evil."

The second quote is kinda ironic since the West also has the same style of "Cinematic games".

FalloutAdFULL--article_image.jpg

@@Key Sharkz: CoD fanboys accusing Pokémon of being stagnated and otherwise is like watching a theater show of the pot attacking the kettle for seeing black. Both series are stagnated.

I don't think they'll change much for the new games, but we get new Pokémon....

Edited by Limeblossom

... Sorry I don't like the franchise and I think it needs to stop ...

And that's where your opinion crosses...beyond being just a mere respectable opinion. Plenty of us enjoy Pokemon for what it is, and we like going through the adventure a new time with new features, a brand new region (or an updated previous one), new Pokemon, etc. Yet then you come in and say "it needs to stop".

No one is forcing you to play Pokemon. Just let it be.

You come in here pointing out a hypocrisy within gaming fandoms, where they criticize other companies/franchises for being stagnant and unimaginative. It's a good point to be made, but you know why that is? Because people need to accept that other people enjoy things that they do not. That is all it comes down to. By saying that Pokemon needs to stop, you're missing this point yourself.

• Brohoof 3

And that's where your opinion crosses...beyond being just a mere respectable opinion. Plenty of us enjoy Pokemon for what it is, and we like going through the adventure a new time with new features, a brand new region (or an updated previous one), new Pokemon, etc. Yet then you come in and say "it needs to stop".

No one is forcing you to play Pokemon. Just let it be.

You come in here pointing out a hypocrisy within gaming fandoms, where they criticize other companies/franchises for being stagnant and unimaginative. It's a good point to be made, but you know why that is? Because people need to accept that other people enjoy things that they do not. That is all it comes down to. By saying that Pokemon needs to stop, you're missing this point yourself.

I apologize. I was wrong in doing so. I guess I lost my train of thought and forgot about my original point. That being said I will re-organize and re-think my standpoint and say this:

You're right, it has every right to continue, but my only wish is that people stop criticizing other franchises for the same stuff Pokemon does. I think that is 100% fair, yes?

@@Limeblossom,

Well, Pokemon, although being largely the same casually throughout the years, is pretty much completely different competitively every year. I play Pokemon competitively on Showdown when i'm bored, and I've been doing this for years, so I can tell you first-hand about how the generations have changed competitively.

Gen 4: Tyranitar was at the peak of his power, as was Garchomp. Lucario was also a major threat. Pursuit was used a lot here because of the physical/special split. Goddamn Blissey was used a lot. Garchomp got so OP it was banned competitively. The physical/special split (moves were no longer special/physical based on type) made Pokemon such as Gengar, Salamence, Dragonite really good. Outrage was used a lot here for some reason because people didn't like Dragon Rush/Claw.

Gen 5: Offense based. Because of the advent of Hidden Abilities, pokemon that would've/previously saw no use became really powerful - such as Espeon, Leafeon, Dragonite, Blaziken, Mightyena, Sableye, Serperior (although serp's hidden ability would only be legal in gen 6), Liepard, and Tropius. And Pokemon that already saw use became even more powerful, such as Ho-Oh, Lugia, Salamence, Lucario, etc. Most notably, the Weather Wars took place during this generation; Ninetales, Tyranitar, and Politoad were capable of making infinite sun/sandstorm/rain, so 90% of teams were based around these weather conditions. Since only one weather could be up at a time, most teams fought over who would have the dominant weather. Excadrill got banned for being far too OP in sandstorm. Blissey fell out of use because of the evolite. Because of the Eviolite (if given to a pokemon that can evolve but hasn't, defenses increased by 50%), Chansey, Rhydon, and Porygon-2 skyrocketed in popularity. The ability Cloud Nine (weather disappears) became very popular.

Gen 6: Talonflame is a best. The Weather Wars ended because it got nerfed thank god. Right now the metagame is pretty balanced with focusing more on offense; Bisharp and Landorus-T are really popular right now because physical attackers like Lopunny-M, Conkeldurr, Scizor, Scizor-M, Dragonite, and Tyrannitar are really, really powerful. GF broke the game with Rayquaza-M. Because of the advent of Mega Evolution, Lucario-M, Mawile-M, Kangasthan-M, and Gengar-M have been banned because they're far too good at their job. Lopunny-M, Absol-M, Sableye-M, and Macernic-M are currently defining the metagame. Stealth Rocks is just as important as ever. Chansey is as the peak of it's popularity, and nobody uses Blissey or Salamence anymore. Because of ORAS move tutors, Greninja got banned.

So yeah, competitively, Pokemon is very different and unique generation to generation, but I won't lie; the main games are pretty much the same formula over and over and can get stagnant. But I don't mind; it always feels like a new adventure to me and has never gotten old to me, although I can see why it has to others.

Edited by Shift
  • Brohoof 4

Let it be known that this be the generation known as Pokemon S&M. :D

I haven't enjoyed a main Pokemon game in a long time. They're some of the most lacking RPGs of all time. X and Y were a nice improvement over the last game I played in the series (Gold) but the series just doesn't have anything I like in other RPGs.

I made this as soon as I heard about the new Pokemon games and what they were called :lol:

VC5ORnc.png

But jokes aside I'm pretty exited about this one, even though i haven't played Pokemon on a while..

Out of the two though i would likely get Moon version, for numerous reasons ;)

• Brohoof 3

Not too disappointed it's still on 3DS, just hope they can just sort out that engine better...

Gen 7 already though, awesome! More new Pokémon is always an exciting time! :D

I'm so excited for this game, I've played since Red and Blue and will continue to play :wub:

Has anyone seen the Pokemon Go augmented reality trailer? It will be incredible for Pokémon fans if they can pull it off :D

• Brohoof 1

I'm so excited for this game, I've played since Red and Blue and will continue to play :wub:

Has anyone seen the Pokemon Go augmented reality trailer? It will be incredible for Pokémon fans if they can pull it off :D

That looks amazing. I'm trying not to have such high hopes but from what I've seen it looks awesome.