Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Favorite Retro Videogame

PyroMotional-Pony

Imma play it safe and say ActRaiser. Out of all the pre-PS1 (the general cutoff for retro in my usual circles) games I've played it's the one I enjoyed playing the most. I only ever got to play it once unfortunately but I think I can get it off the Nintendo store. Maybe. Possibly.

I'm not much of a retro gamer. I typically don't go farther back than the PS2. That's when gaming got really good imo and I've had little reason to go back and play anything except the must-plays.

On ActRaiser: It had such a perfect combination of Castlevania and Shinobi-like action and city-building simulation without getting too difficult or complicated. Amazing level variety and music as well. I didn't get the chance to play the second one much but I heard it's not nearly as good.

Where do we draw the line of 'retro'? 

As of right now, I consider retro games to be up to 5th-gen consoles.

In that case, Half-Life takes the crown for me. The original version from 1998 looks like ass today (Half-Life: Source isn't much better looking), but there is always Black Mesa.

It is my favorite game in that time as it re-revolutionized 1st-person shooters forever. It also never would hold your hand like nearly every FPS today. Gordon Freeman is also still considered one of the most iconic protagonist of all time.

half-life-2-gordon-freeman-620x620.jpg

Have crowbar, will change the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Does the N64 count as retro? Because in that case Hydro Thunder is very high on my list. I played that game to death when I was younger. Same goes for Turok: Dinosaur Hunter.

My Top 3 Retro (pre-2000) games would have to be:

Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 (GBA. Even though it is a remake of the original SNES version)

Super Mario 64

Mario Kart 64

I know those are mainly Mario games. It's because, hey, I like the Mario series, ok?

Now as for non-Mario retro games, the ones I do like are these:

TLoZ: Ocarina of Time

TLoZ: Majora's Mask

Wave Race 64

Sonic CD

Sonic The Hedgehog 2

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (who doesn't love the 16-bit MJ music in this game am I right?)

If I can be permitted to post 6th and 7th gen games as "Retro", then I would do so, but the OP isn't specifying it enough for me to know what to specifically post.

Edited by Jonny Music

• 5 years later...

Man, always have a soft spot for retro games. I even began my life as a gamer with a NES, despite being born in the 90s. Now with how corporate, photorealistic, green and browns, and interchangeable most games are nowadays, my affinity with retro gaming is even stronger.

Question is which of the army of retro games I like is my favorite? I only know Metroid Prime,  Paper Mario TTYD, and Zelda MM are my top three :mlp_icwudt:

I don't know if it counts as "retro" yet but Touhou 07 - Perfect Cherry Blossom (released in 2003) is still my favourite game in the series, playing through it again or even just listening to the soundtrack is like a huge nostalgia trip for me. ^^

If you want to go even older I also loved the original X-COM (1994) just because it felt like you had a lot more freedom and unpredictability in missions, plus a much spookier and tense atmosphere, compared to the modern games (not that I dislike them).

• Brohoof 2

Sonic CD, Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic the hedgehog 3

A lesser known one I really loved playing was Socket for the Sega Genesis. It pretty much looks like a Sonic game. I really enjoyed it growing up though. It had a great soundtrack. 

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Kirby super star/adventure, donkey kong country, super metroid, and super Mario world. If you consider the Nintendo 64 and gamecube to be retro I have a long list for those :mlp_smug: