Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Does anyone else here use Linux?

Brony Lounge

I did a couple years ago. I had it on my computer for my job at the time. Unfortunately I've been too lazy to get it again. Tried to reinstall it to clear it out of all the work stuff but couldn't get it working again and I'm not exactly great with software stuff. Which is why I don't work there anymore. :P

I liked the way it functioned. I also liked that it was relatively safe from viruses and didn't do shit without my say-so.

I don't remember what distro it was though.

I primarily use Windows 7, because it's on the computer lent to me for my 4 years at UIS as an Honors Student (I'm a junior now).  

However, my personal laptop that I had before college, and still used every now and again in college, had a hard drive failure recently... So, my friend and I put a bootable Linux Mint onto one of my external hardrives for it.  

I like it.  But due to the fact that it is running on an older laptop's hardware, of which is much slower than my school laptop, I don't use it much.

~ Miles

I primarily use Windows 7, because it's on the computer lent to me for my 4 years at UIS as an Honors Student (I'm a junior now).

However, my personal laptop that I had before college, and still used every now and again in college, had a hard drive failure recently... So, my friend and I put a bootable Linux Mint onto one of my external hardrives for it.

I like it. But due to the fact that it is running on an older laptop's hardware, of which is much slower than my school laptop, I don't use it much.

~ Miles

I would say why not put it on your school laptop, but I understand that for school you need certain windows only software and alternatives won't cut it

@,

Lol, sorry to say but, that way of thinking is unsound.  As a Computer Science major, I know the virtue of having multiple operating systems on separate machines.  (Plus, I love Windows 7). - Not that I dislike Linux.  I like it.  And am learning about many different Unix/Linux based OS's, (as well as Windows and Mac OS's) in my Comp-Sci classes.

But moreover, as I said, my school laptop isn't mine.  I use it as mine but their are strict limitations.  My university owns the laptops they lend to students.  We have to give them back after we graduate. 

Which SUCKS because... obvious reasons.

But anyway, I would rather wait til I have the money to buy my own [new] computer systems, (whether they be laptop or desktop, doesn't matter), after I graduate and get into a career.  My optimistic goal is to have multiple computers then, such that one [or more] has some Windows OS, and one [or more] has some Linux OS.

Right now, I'm just using my old [personal] laptop, running Mint off my external drive, as a manner to get accustomed to Linux.

(On another note, one of my current classes is really leading me to dislike Mac.  Sorry Mac users, lol.)

~ Miles  

@,

Lol, sorry to say but, that way of thinking is unsound. As a Computer Science major, I know the virtue of having multiple operating systems on separate machines. (Plus, I love Windows 7). - Not that I dislike Linux. I like it. And am learning about many different Unix/Linux based OS's, (as well as Windows and Mac OS's) in my Comp-Sci classes.

But moreover, as I said, my school laptop isn't mine. I use it as mine but their are strict limitations. My university owns the laptops they lend to students. We have to give them back after we graduate.

Which SUCKS because... obvious reasons.

But anyway, I would rather wait til I have the money to buy my own [new] computer systems, (whether they be laptop or desktop, doesn't matter), after I graduate and get into a career. My optimistic goal is to have multiple computers then, such that one [or more] has some Windows OS, and one [or more] has some Linux OS.

Right now, I'm just using my old [personal] laptop, running Mint off my external drive, as a manner to get accustomed to Linux.

(On another note, one of my current classes is really leading me to dislike Mac. Sorry Mac users, lol.)

~ Miles

I actually have a desktop hackintosh, also my dell netbook is a hackintosh, I get by pretty well on that. Also I can imagine how much it must suck to have to give it back, you wouldn't want to do anything with it lol

I actually have a desktop hackintosh, also my dell netbook is a hackintosh, I get by pretty well on that.

Well I should clarify, I'm not using a Mac directly, but rather remote desktop servers.  It's for an iPhone App Dev class.

Also I can imagine how much it must suck to have to give it back, you wouldn't want to do anything with it lol

Heh, heheheh...

Well... I'll scrub it clean before giving it back.  

~ Miles

Well I should clarify, I'm not using a Mac directly, but rather remote desktop servers. It's for an iPhone App Dev class.

Heh, heheheh...

Well... I'll scrub it clean before giving it back.

~ Miles

Hopefully they reinstall windows before giving it back to you, I'd dread to think what would happen if they didnt, oh yea you'd have a horrible mess filled with viruses, games (most of them terrible), windows slowing down in general and more

Hopefully they reinstall windows before giving it back to you, I'd dread to think what would happen if they didnt, oh yea you'd have a horrible mess filled with viruses, games (most of them terrible), windows slowing down in general and more

Ehem:

But moreover, as I said, my school laptop isn't mine.  I use it as mine but their are strict limitations.  My university owns the laptops they lend to students.  We have to give them back after we graduate

Furthermore, I have no viruses, or terrible games.

~ Miles 

Ehem:

Furthermore, I have no viruses, or terrible games.

~ Miles

I was thinking since you have to give them back the give them to new students once your done with it, there's always some kid that's going to search up call of duty full free and get a ton of malware, I wasnt saying you'd do it

@,

Nah, they give new ones to freshmen each year, and the ones the seniors give back to the university just go back to Dell, likely to be taken apart for reusable metals to build new ones - or depending on the shape/condition, some may be wiped clean, given a new OS, and sold as refurbished.  But in any case, I'm still gonna do my best to delete as much personal files off mine before I give it back after I graduate.

~ Miles 

@,

Nah, they give new ones to freshmen each year, and the ones the seniors give back to the university just go back to Dell, likely to be taken apart for reusable metals to build new ones - or depending on the shape/condition, some may be wiped clean, given a new OS, and sold as refurbished. But in any case, I'm still gonna do my best to delete as much personal files off mine before I give it back after I graduate.

~ Miles

Good job their not reused really lol

I am a happy user of Linux Mint 17.3 on my Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 14! This OS literally saved my laptop from imminent replacement. My comp kept overheating with WIndows, and even after applying new thermal paste to the CPU, it still crashed a lot. I installed Mint, and I'm HAPPEE!!! I love FOSS and now, I run MInt with a Windows 10 VM inside, for whenever I need Office! (And for you LibreOffice-ers out there, I know what you'll say. But I use headers a lot, and the formatting in Word is easier. Sorry 'bout that guys!)

Anyone wanting to talk Linux or Windows can shoot me a PM (and friend me, if you want! :)  )

I keep an Ubuntu disc/flash drive to boot from in case there's an OS fuck up and I need to get files or find a password or something. That's about it.

I'm primarily a gamer, and Windows is still the best gaming OS around.

I keep an Ubuntu disc/flash drive to boot from in case there's an OS fuck up and I need to get files or find a password or something. That's about it.

I'm primarily a gamer, and Windows is still the best gaming OS around.

Linux is gettig beter for gaming, steams on it and you can run some windows games on it

• 3 weeks later...

I've ran Ubuntu at work and at home because it's easy to use and supports pretty much everything I need it to. Still prefer Windows out of habit, but I absolutely love the Linux terminal and the amount of customization you can do on it.

• Brohoof 2

Well my favorite version is Linux Mint. But like most Linux, like Ubuntu it does have problems. However... it does have potential of being great. That is if there were more Hardware support for it like programs etc. I remember having it recently and my touchpad is really terrible on it. In terms of moving it, i can use multiple fingers on it on Windows OS. But if i use more than one finger whether it is Linux Mint or Ubuntu it stops unless you drag it. I have tried with Synaptiks, and yet it doesnt work. If Linux would be more supportive for hardware drivers then i think it would be more beneficial, not just video drivers but other hardware drivers aswell.

The one thing i think it can benefit from is that Steam has said it will focus on SteamOS. Basically you don't need SteamOS to play those games, but it can play on all 3 OS. Linux, Mac and Windows... So future games if it gets enough support will be able to play on all OS. Which would be great news for Linux users! Its still not perfect yet, but i have a feeling that with time Linux will be better. But for now i am not convinced to switch over. Windows 7 is good enough so far.

Edited by Sofen

Oh yes!

On my Chromebook I have Ubuntu 14.04 running with the xfce desktop environment (aka Xubuntu x3), and on my other laptop I have Fedora 21 running with the Budgie desktop environment. Yeah it needs updating but I haven't used it in a while. I also have Kali on a USB stick with persistent storage, and I'm thinking of dual booting either ElementaryOS or Linux Mint on my main PC (just worried about hardware compatibility).

I find GNU/Linux operating systems much nicer to use than Windows OS's, they take up less system resources, for the most part are more stable, and to be honest are much easier to use. The terminal in Linux is so much better than the command prompt too.

So yeah, big fan and daily user of GNU/Linux. ^^

I mainly use Windows 7 for gaming and whatnot on my desktop, but on my laptop I have Linux Mint 17.3, which really works well for me. I even got Undertale working under Wine so that's good :P

I would dualboot it on my desktop, but only problem - Netgear Wireless Adapters don't have good Linux drivers ;_;

• Brohoof 1

I've been using Linux for many years and I'm a pretty awful distro hopper. I was running Debian XFCE a few weeks ago, elementary a few days ago and now Manjaro KDE edition. I wanted to move back to something bleeding edge with a nice plasma 5 theme. I like playing with new software right when things are announced rather than waiting for the next 6-9 month cycle. 99% of the time, there are no breakages and most breakages are just minor inconveniences.

At work, I have an Ubuntu 12.04 VM (albeit, an incredibly broken one) that I use as a lamp server to test my website work. I could use IIS, but it's nowhere near as simple to deploy and control. Plus, the absence of visual studio is a good thing as it forces me to look things up rather than rely on intellisense.