Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Does anyone else here use Linux?

Brony Lounge

I use Debian with Cinnamon as a desktop environment on my laptop and desktop. My laptop has Windows 7 on it as well, but I rarely use it.

I've been using GNU/Linux as a primary OS for about three years now, and I played around with it for a year or two before that (Dual-booting, Live CD, etc.)

Edited by Grepper

YUS!

I use Ubuntu 12.04 because

A. I can't be bothered backing everything up and installing something else such as mint

B. It gives a nice user friendly Mac-ish vibe

It pretty much revived the old laptop that I use.

Well my favorite version is Linux Mint. But like most Linux, like Ubuntu it does have problems. However... it does have potential of being great. That is if there were more Hardware support for it like programs etc. I remember having it recently and my touchpad is really terrible on it. In terms of moving it, i can use multiple fingers on it on Windows OS. But if i use more than one finger whether it is Linux Mint or Ubuntu it stops unless you drag it. I have tried with Synaptiks, and yet it doesnt work. If Linux would be more supportive for hardware drivers then i think it would be more beneficial, not just video drivers but other hardware drivers aswell.

The one thing i think it can benefit from is that Steam has said it will focus on SteamOS. Basically you don't need SteamOS to play those games, but it can play on all 3 OS. Linux, Mac and Windows... So future games if it gets enough support will be able to play on all OS. Which would be great news for Linux users! Its still not perfect yet, but i have a feeling that with time Linux will be better. But for now i am not convinced to switch over. Windows 7 is good enough so far.

Here's the thing: It's not that Linux isn't supportive of more hardware, it's that a lot of manufacturers still don't give a damn about GNU/Linux. They don't want their Windows monopoly to be dashed away if they make good drivers. The best thing to do is to try and buy computers and parts from companies who have Linux drivers.

As I mentioned before, I'm running Linux Mint 17.3 on a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 14" with an Intel i3-370M Dual-core with Hyper-threading. This distro literally saved my computer from imminent self-destruction. Heck, I run a Windows 10 VM with no problems now.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the thing: It's not that Linux isn't supportive of more hardware, it's that a lot of manufacturers still don't give a damn about GNU/Linux. They don't want their Windows monopoly to be dashed away if they make good drivers. The best thing to do is to try and buy computers and parts from companies who have Linux drivers.

As I mentioned before, I'm running Linux Mint 17.3 on a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 14" with an Intel i3-370M Dual-core with Hyper-threading. This distro literally saved my computer from imminent self-destruction. Heck, I run a Windows 10 VM with no problems now.

Dunno hardware support is pretty good, I mean as long as your not using something exotic or really new you should be ok

• Brohoof 1

Personally I use Antergos Linux on my main desktop computer. Switched from Xubuntu 14.04 because I wanted to try something new, and newer software too. Switched back to Xubuntu recently. Arch's pacman and the AUR are just awesome :wub: But I came to the conclusion that I like LTS distros better.

I still use Xubuntu on my netbook tho, but without 3D acceleration because Linux only provides 2D accel for the GMA 3600. Good thing that it still can use the CPU for heavier tasks.

Edited by Yoshi-Fan GM

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I use Antergos Linux on my main desktop computer. Switched from Xubuntu 14.04 because I wanted to try something new, and newer software too. Switched back to Xubuntu recently. Arch's pacman and the AUR are just awesome :wub: But I came to the conclusion that I like LTS distros better.

I still use Xubuntu on my netbook tho, but without 3D acceleration because Linux only provides 2D accel for the GMA 3600. Good thing that it still can use the CPU for heavier tasks.

Honestly I dont think xubuntu is the best xfce desktop around, I perfer manjaro xfce or some other xfce os

• Brohoof 1

I use Elementary OS Freya on my laptop, because only in this distro zoom works normal, in other distros I had display bugs and other weird things when I've used zoom.

• Brohoof 1

I use Elementary OS Freya on my laptop, because only in this distro zoom works normal, in other distros I had display bugs and other weird things when I've used zoom.

Elementary OS is a pretty good distro, to simple for my tastes but pretty damn good anyway, quite a fast distro as well

Myself I use mint (my oc is called minty, of course I use mint lol)

Honestly I dont think xubuntu is the best xfce desktop around, I perfer manjaro xfce or some other xfce os

Yeah, I don't think it's the best XFCE distro either, but it's definitely one of the more stable Ubuntu flavors I have tried.

I've used Manjaro too, I like the fact that it's based on Arch and can use the AUR too, also rolling. Probably I'm going to install it on my netbook once I figure out how to use the graphics driver.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I don't think it's the best XFCE distro either, but it's definitely one of the more stable Ubuntu flavors I have tried.

I've used Manjaro too, I like the fact that it's based on Arch and can use the AUR too, also rolling. Probably I'm going to install it on my netbook once I figure out how to use the graphics driver.

In my opinion the best xfce desktop is probably linux mint, though manjaros xfce is pretty good as well