Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What has changed as you've gotten older?

Member Berry

Lets see what we've got here:

• I have much less of an ego than before. When I was a kid my ego was really big and I was very arrogant.
  • I've gotten funnier and weirder, also I've got a generally bigger personality now.
  • I've found it a lot easier to make friends and talk to new people.
  • I've become quite a bit more fit and outdoorsy.
  • I actually like music now.
  • I play a lot less video games.
  • And finally I actually have empathy now. I used to be a little sociopath when I was a kid. XD

• 3 years later...
(edited)

Let's see. While I'm a bit less nervous than I used to be, I've become a fair bit more misanthropic and cynical. I am far more cynical than I used to be, and I've developed a good bit of misanthropy over the years.

Edited by The Historian

Classrooms have had pretty significant changes over the course of my scholastic life. idk what the NSW Department of Education is doing, but classrooms look nothing like they did 10 years ago.

Now teachers are employing the "flipped learning" model wherein the students do all the classwork at home and then come into class to consolidate what they did at home. The main benefit of this model is that the teacher has extra time in class to devote to each individual student's needs. I'm personally not a fan of it because it basically means you get more homework.

Another change is that classrooms are now open "learning environments" designed for collaboration and teamwork. No more tables and chairs; instead students sit around a big open room on beanbags and sofas. The benefit of this is that it promotes collaboration and is generally more comfy. The downside is that students will "collaborate" by chatting the entire class. 

And just this year, my high school introduced a new structure to class times. Instead of five 60-minute periods throughout the day, classes are now three 100-minute periods per day. Thank god I finished school last year because I could not bear being in maths for 100 minutes per day. Fuck that.

The way people are taught. I grew up in a world where computers became increasingly used in all facets of education. Heck, I started using them all the way back in 2000 to learn basic mathematics. I used throughout my latter time in Elementary, Secondary, and High school. That's when I really noticed the change, with class projects and papers having to be typed using a windows 7 or Vista machine. From there, college heavily relied on computers for everything.

I'm a little more comfortable with my life situation now that I'm grown up and have more control over it. But at the same time I'm not as sharp or creative as I was when I was a teenager. And over the course of my life I've gone from optimistic in my youth and early teens, to pessimistic during my later teen years, and back to optimistic as an adult. That's just me. But this thread seems to have two directions it wants to take; personal changes and world changes.

As for the latter, there has been an insane increase in technology, of which only about 10% is any good. And work ethics have dropped through the basement along with morality and the average I.Q.   

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

My maturity level has increased a lot, just within the last year. That's the biggest change I've noticed. So far at least.

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

I'm a bit more reserved and levelheaded compared to my teen years and even early 20's. A few joints have started to ache more as I've gotten older. ^_^

With me, I'm assuming? Well:

• I have become less unable to communicate with other people.
  • I have gained a lot of knowledge about the world around me.
  • I used to be quite sensitive, and now I'm generally the opposite unless I'm talking about a sensitive subject.
  • I have come to be more tolerant of stupidity, but I have increasingly lost my understanding of it.
  • I have gained control of my anger in recent years. No more yanking keyboards out... :sealed:
  • I act much less idiotic than I used to, though I still sometimes do for humorous effect.
  • I have become much more self-actualized, let's put what I'd say here that way. :mlp_icwudt:

As for the world? Well, as some wise french dude said, "the more everything changes, the more it stays the same." I think that's pretty much true.

• Brohoof 1

Mostly, my mindset. I have matured in so many ways. I’ve become more open-minded, I am willing to understand others and I am more proud of myself now than ever before. I feel good about aging. 

I feel like I'm the same exact person I was in high school, except

• My sweet tooth is gone- I can't eat sweets like I used to.
  • I don't have time for video games or hobbies anymore- but with my very new job schedule, this may change.
  • Due to how things have played out, I'm no longer afraid to call out red flags and cut off from toxic people.
  • I don't act like a frickin fool trying to look quirky and interesting. I cringe hard thinking back to how I used to act.

(edited)

I've regressed and become very reclusive over the years. Seriously, I rarely spend time with anyone anymore. I've also kind of started to enjoy being alone, which I guess is a good thing for me?

I've become much more organized and able to do tedious things. I can actually keep my room clean now, and I think I'm starting to become a germaphobe.

Other than that it's just the basic stuff you'd expect as a person gets older.

Edited by Booker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I got depression and anxiety. Didn't struggle with that as a kid as far as I remember. Much of my teen years and all my adult years have been DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY so far. Like what is wrong with me?!

I think I'm getting better though. Also I'm sorry for the negativity, I feel ok right now but I just look back into my past and have so much regret.

• Brohoof 1

Less anxious and depressed but also just... more apathetic and indifferent towards a lot of things. If it's not something I'm passionate about or if it's not something directly affecting me right now? Meh, whatever. That mindset has helped me deal with anxiety but also has it's obvious downsides lol.

The lack of energy and feeling vulnerable.  No matter how much caffeine I drink, it doesn't provide me with the right energy to type thoughts for contribution for several hours as it did in the past.  As for being vulnerable, it's happening more often lately in my gut.