Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the Only One Who Doesn't Find Fluttershy Cute?

Meson Bolt

(edited)

Basically what I said in the title. Yeah, I honestly don't find Fluttershy to be all that cute.

4576227.jpg

Now before you all come at me with your torches and pitchforks, let me say something very clear. I don't hate Fluttershy.

Sure, she might not be on my top 5 favorite ponies list... or even top 10... or even top 5 in my favorite Mane 6 ponies list... but I don't see anything massively wrong with her. I just feel that she gets a lot of undue praise because "she's adorable", when I personally just don't see her that way.

As an example of (I think) overrated praise, here's a video from the Brony Notion as to why he thinks Fluttershy is best pony.

Notice the first reason he gives as to why Fluttershy is best pony.

"Well, *sigh* she's adorable..."

(Which, mind you, is a subjective opinion...)

Heck, Fluttershy even got her own WatchPony.com video for her top 10 cutest moments in the show.

There are very, very few moments in which I find her to be the OMG SUPER CUUUTE PONIEE (yes, I do squeal that sometimes) that bronies make her to be. I've had moments like that with almost every other pony -- Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie all make me squeal from cuteness overload every now and again (some more than others...), but I just don't get that with Flutters.

(Admittedly I don't find Rarity super cute, but I don't think she's trying to be all that cute, so...)

Is there something I'm missing? Maybe I just don't enjoy her (IMO) unrealistic personality, or don't appreciate her design, or her mannerisms?

Now I wanna hear what you have to say. Do you think she's cute? Do you think she deserves as much praise as she's getting? If there is something I'm missing, could one of you awesome-faced people kindly point that out? Let me know, I'm curious to hear what you have to say.

Stay frosty!

Edited by Meson Bolt
  • Brohoof 7

Many people identify with Fluttershy's introverted tendencies and shyness, and I don't see any problem with that. People really like how her character design and mannerisms are reflective of her personality, and that's something they can very much relate to. On the other hand, there are those who don't like Fluttershy's slow-as-molasses character growth over the first four seasons as well as how steadfastly adherent to her character archetype she is. I'm very much on the fence about her, my opinion of her changes depending on the episode, but I'll tell you that from what I've seen, you're not alone. Every character on the show has someone who dislikes them.

• Brohoof 6

Fluttershy's cuteness is weird for me. While I do find her absolutely adorable, I don't find it special, and a lot of that is mostly because of the way she's presented. To me cuteness feels like one of her defining trait, I always expect everything about her to be cute, and at first I like it, but after a while it kind of wears off. In contrast, with someone like Twilight, Rainbow, AJ, or Rarity, their cuteness/cute moments feels like a rare treat, it always feels welcome and I usually don't get tired of it.

It's like with foods you like for example, one you get all the time(say ramen) and the other you get on occasion(pizza). You like the ramen, but you have it so much that you eventually get used to it and feel neutral when you eat it, on the other hand you still love getting pizza because you only have it from time to time, so you're more welcome to it

• Brohoof 5

I think all the ponies are cute, but I don't consider Fluttershy to be the cutest of them all. I do think that her personality gives people the sense that she needs to be protected, which is something that leads people to finding other cute, it seems.

I was extremely like Fluttershy in high school, and I was called cute all the time. Kids my own age and adults. They said I was sweet, adorable, precious, and one girl even said she wanted to pinch my cheeks. It's not that I looked all that small and special. I think it was just my extreme shyness.

So... I guess I don't find it all crazy cute, just cuz I've been there and know how it feels, so I relate to her more than I look at her behavior and think it's cute. But shyness = cute to a LOT of people, so I guess Flutters is no exception. :P

, if I may expand on your approach?

With the idea of the rest of the Mane 6 having 'cute moments' that stand out, while Fluttershy's moments are nearly all cute, might I present the possibility that she is meant as the polar opposite of such?

You see, because she radiates cute so much, it makes the serious moments more dramatic by comparison, such as the rest of the Mane 6's cute antics being cuter in comparison to the rest of their personalities, personal cuteness opinions notwithstanding.

Or, in example, because she's the one who's always so sweet, "The Stare" takes on a bigger effect, personality-wise.  Likewise the "Flutterbat" incident; it is so far removed from what we're used to seeing, that it is supposed to add to the dramatic feel of the character by virtue of it's opposition.

Granted, I believe they are a bit ham-fisted with the idea; the cute moments for the other 5 feel natural, while the serious moments for Flutters seem a little awkward in their presentation/execution - it could be that possible clash that drives others off from her.  

To note, I absolutely adore Fluttershy - but not so much as to cloud my mind to a reasonable, rational discussion of such.  

Thank you for your time.   :squee:

• Brohoof 5

Flutters, to me, has a sort cute tendency to her that appears often, probably because of her voice and overall personality. To me, she does have the cutest voice of the mane 6 and that affects it I think. It's not something I have thought about much but there you go. Do I think she is the cutest overall? No, mostly because cute moments of other characters outshines her's to me, most likely because of what Megas and Randimaxis posted. RD trying to contain her inner fangirl when meeting Daring Do, Twilight snuggling with some books, those are a couple of examples of cuteness beyond Flutters in my opinion.

Flutters is my second favorite pony though, was my first before, then Twilight. 

• Brohoof 2

I do think she's cute, but then the same goes for pretty much any of the ponies. I don't think she's as cute as a lot of people say she is, and personality-wise she actually annoys me a fair share of the time. I don't hate her or anything, I actually like her despite thinking she's annoying at times, but she'll never be my favorite pony.

I don't find her that cute either. Or rather, her cuteness seems to be the only thing she has going for her, and it got old pretty fast.

I find RD to be cuter due to the fact that she tries to hide it and is embarrassed by it, thus making her irritation flat-out adorable. 

• Brohoof 1

It feels unfair for me to say anything because i love all the ponies so much and really cant say anything bad about them. However I do think fluttershy is adorable! Though, she was intended to be. Her shy demeanor, love of animals, those soft, big eyes..
She just screams that the creators tried really hard! And they did! She's perfect for what she was made for! I dont think she is overdone in her way at all, she overcomes stuff like all the other ponies, and I love her! Pretty much all the ponies are extremely over exaggerated, but for some reason she stand out the most!
She is extremely shy. Twilight is extremely OCD. Rainbow Dash is extremely fast and brash. Applejack is extremely stereotypical, Pinkie is extremely hyper, Rarity is extremely fabulous!
Honestly, all their main characteristics are to an extreme level. Which I think is wonderful!

But yeah, flutters is cute because all the ponies are cute.

Fluttershy is uniquely cute because them eyes, that long tail, her soft voice, and her overall gentle demeanor. Also because she got super angry when they didn't love her. That is hecka cute.

tumblr_mb1n8fdIP01regjpno1_500.gif?13535

I agree completely. 

FlutterShy isn't a bad character, but she is definitely a cliche' character.

It irritates me when people leap to characters like that just because they are timid, soft-spoken, and cute. These sorts of characters are so common in media now that, in my opinion, have loss all their charm.

I have seen countless characters in media who fall under this banality.

Honestly, those very qualities drive me away from that specific character.

I don't find overly shy characters to be appealing in the slightest. In fact, they sorta annoy me.

• Brohoof 1

I do think Fluttershy is cute, but I don't think she's the cutest or my favorite. I think she is okay as a character, but she is only my 3rd or 4th favorite mane six. I can't decide easily if the is my third or fourth favorite though. I actually think Rainbow Dash is the cutest, even though she doesn't try to be cute. It just depends on your opinion.

• Brohoof 1

Usually I find the shy and quiet people pretty cute, but Fluttershy is just beyond the next level. The fact that she is so shy that just having a conversation with a pony she doesn't know scares her to death, it would be such a challenge to do anything with her. Shy, but not beyond-shy-to-the-point-of-death shy, is what I find cute in those type of characters.

She has such an appeasing design though. It's a shame she doesn't have more lines for the type of character she is.

Fluttershy has evolved a bit from the pure disney princess look she had going for her in season 1. She didn't really hit my radar until she flipped her sh*t in the season 1 finale. That cackling "YOU'RE GONNA LOVE ME!" Scene was probably my favorite moment of hers in season one. Beyond there as she grew more assertive and less shy I grew to like her more and more, and now she's one of my faves. 

So while I don't find her "cute" all that interesting, I do find what's under that to be fascinating to watch lol. 

• Brohoof 1

If only they stopped beating us over the head with how shy and introverted and friendless she is, I'd tolerate her a bit more

We get it, she's a socially awkward butterfly, can we please get some new characterization for her now?

More Dragonshy and Scaremaster, less doormat

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's usually a combination of cuteness + being similar to bronies' introverted ways. So they connect or something.

Which is weird to me as an introvert, as I'd much prefer to be around extroverts so they make me do something social for once.

Blah Blah. I don't think she's cute either is the answer you want. But I see why people do.

That's just how they do.

Edited by AppleJack_Wack

It's all in the eyes and act. She has both. :kindness:  Too hard to not say she is... For me even. And I'm a MAN! (I stay inside all the time, have no job, am living at home, am skinny as heck... Definition for this generation's men? Just kidding if you got offended by that XD)

*Raises pitchfork and touch* Yes, you are the only one who thinks that. You should consider getting your brain examined...

No, seriously, I think it just all depends. You know what they say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." What one person may find cute may not be cute to another. I also think being a fan of Fluttershy might have something to do with it. If you're not a fan of Fluttershy (which clearly you aren't) them of course Fluttershy's cuteness is not going to appeal to you, but if Fluttershy is your favorite then of course you're not going to mind it much and your opinion of her appearance might be a bit bias. I think everyone is like that wit their favorite pony. Fluttershy is my favorite pony, but I don't think she's cute. I think she is downright gorgeous. Whoever though of the design of Fluttershy did an excellent job. The kind of yellow and pink they chose for Fluttershy's coat and mane really compliment each other.  I love that they made Fluttershy's eyes teal. Plus, the fact that she shows the most kindness and empathy out of any of the character makes her beautiful in my books.

Does Fluttershy deserve the praise she gets? Why the hell not? Just because she's timid and not as confident as the others? So we should hate her and resent her for that? You could ask the same thing about Rainbow Dash. Does she deserve the praise that she gets. In my personal opinion...no. I can think and list a lot of reasons why Rainbow Dash doesn't deserve the praise and admiration that she gets constantly but I'm not.  That's another character for another thread as this is about Fluttershy. It's not really anyone's place to say which pony deserves what.

You say Fluttershy gets a lot of undue praise, but I feel that's far from the truth. Recently, it seems people are quick to condemn her character (like some of you all are doing on this thread) especially here and the comment section on Equestria Daily. Who cares if some brony thinks Fluttershy is best pony because he think she's cute.  I'm sure you and some other have superficial reasons as to why certain ponies are their favorites. 

I don't understand why so many of you all have some type of grudge against the introverted. It's like it's a sin to be shy and have social anxiety.  I apologize for the rambling and to anybody who actually read the whole thing.

• Brohoof 2

@@Meson Bolt,

All in all, I like most of the mane 6 based on how I relate to them and so I say I like applejack the best mainly because she reminds me of my family.

In this case I like rarity the least. but fluttershy second least.

yea no thats about it

Now that you mention it, I think it's that Fluttershy is just really sweet and awkward (which makes me like her more, TBH). She's "cute"...ish, but not over-the-top adorable (unless she's intentionally drawn that way by a fan).

So yeah, I kinda see where you're going with this. She's more sweet/endearing than cute, really. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a Fluttershy in the show and thought "Aww, how adorable!"

She honestly has very cute eyes, specifically only for her.

That's probably why she garnered so much attention.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Yeah, I like her eyes and Coco Pommel's.