Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Am I the Only One Who Doesn't Find Fluttershy Cute?

Meson Bolt

(edited)

No, seriously, I think it just all depends. You know what they say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." What one person may find cute may not be cute to another. I also think being a fan of Fluttershy might have something to do with it. If you're not a fan of Fluttershy (which clearly you aren't) them of course Fluttershy's cuteness is not going to appeal to you, but if Fluttershy is your favorite then of course you're not going to mind it much and your opinion of her appearance might be a bit bias. I think everyone is like that wit their favorite pony.

Eh, true, I guess. I'm not really a fan of her personality, because it just seems so... common. Cute character is super shy and doesn't mingle well with others? Yeah, how many characters have you seen who are like that? Far too many.

But I guess if you're a fan of the character's personality you'll appreciate their looks a bit more. People who like Rarity say she's the most beautiful pony who existed. People who like Applejack will say she's simple yet endearing. And people who like Rainbow Dash (like me) will say she's the super-extra-ultra-awesome-amazing pony that we think she is (and also super cute).

You say Fluttershy gets a lot of undue praise, but I feel that's far from the truth. Recently, it seems people are quick to condemn her character (like some of you all are doing on this thread)

There's a difference between "best" and "my favorite". "Best" means the absolute greatest, the one with the most quality, etc. For example, my "best pony" is Twilight, because from an objective standpoint, she's received the most amount of character development since Season 1. (Which in turn makes Fluttershy my "worst pony" since she's received the least amount of development)

But Twilicorn isn't my favorite -- Dash is, because "favorite" means "the one you like the most". I like her because of her personality, her episodes, her voice, and of course her design. But just because I personally like those things doesn't make her the best, as she's got quite a few glaring flaws that I'm sure you'd be quick to point out. I still like her a lot, but I respect her enough to not give her undue praise.

That's what I feel a lot of Fluttershy fans do. They see her cuteness, hear her soft voice, watch her sing, and instantly like her. They don't care about character development, personality, or important things like that -- they just see "cute pony" and they think "best pony", without really giving it much thought. So while I can see why Fluttershy is a fan favorite, bestowing the title "best pony" upon her was really, really frustrating from an objective standpoint.

It's like cookies and yogurt. A lot of people might like cookies, but yogurt is better for you. Just because people think cookies taste nice doesn't make them better for you, it just means more people like them.

I don't understand why so many of you all have some type of grudge against the introverted. It's like it's a sin to be shy and have social anxiety.

Uh, that's a HUGE assumption that you're making.

You're assuming Fluttershy non-fans don't like her because she's shy and socially inept. That's untrue for most of us -- a lot of us are frustrated with her slow-as-molasses character development and even more frustrated with the over-abundance of praise she gets based on a subjective observation.

And as a social dumbass myself, I find this kind of short-sighted thinking offensive.

I apologize for the rambling and to anybody who actually read the whole thing.

No problem. As you can see, I tend to ramble a lot as well. *shrugs*

Edited by Meson Bolt

(edited)

*Raises pitchfork and touch* Yes, you are the only one who thinks that. You should consider getting your brain examined...

No, seriously, I think it just all depends. You know what they say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." What one person may find cute may not be cute to another. I also think being a fan of Fluttershy might have something to do with it. If you're not a fan of Fluttershy (which clearly you aren't) them of course Fluttershy's cuteness is not going to appeal to you, but if Fluttershy is your favorite then of course you're not going to mind it much and your opinion of her appearance might be a bit bias. I think everyone is like that wit their favorite pony. Fluttershy is my favorite pony, but I don't think she's cute. I think she is downright gorgeous. Whoever though of the design of Fluttershy did an excellent job. The kind of yellow and pink they chose for Fluttershy's coat and mane really compliment each other.  I love that they made Fluttershy's eyes teal. Plus, the fact that she shows the most kindness and empathy out of any of the character makes her beautiful in my books.

Does Fluttershy deserve the praise she gets? Why the hell not? Just because she's timid and not as confident as the others? So we should hate her and resent her for that? You could ask the same thing about Rainbow Dash. Does she deserve the praise that she gets. In my personal opinion...no. I can think and list a lot of reasons why Rainbow Dash doesn't deserve the praise and admiration that she gets constantly but I'm not.  That's another character for another thread as this is about Fluttershy. It's not really anyone's place to say which pony deserves what.

You say Fluttershy gets a lot of undue praise, but I feel that's far from the truth. Recently, it seems people are quick to condemn her character (like some of you all are doing on this thread) especially here and the comment section on Equestria Daily. Who cares if some brony thinks Fluttershy is best pony because he think she's cute.  I'm sure you and some other have superficial reasons as to why certain ponies are their favorites. 

I don't understand why so many of you all have some type of grudge against the introverted. It's like it's a sin to be shy and have social anxiety.  I apologize for the rambling and to anybody who actually read the whole thing.

RD has way more depth and growth than Fluttershy. That's why she deserves the praise she gets. Characters don't have to be nice all the time to be popular. Besides, without RD, there'd be no Equestria as the season 5 finale demonstrated. 

Besides, Fluttershy fans are way too overprotective of her. You act way too nasty towards ponies like RD just because she's trying to help Fluttershy toughen up, and you mistake it as "being mean to her". It kinda makes other people want to hate Fluttershy out of spite. Not to mention you make excuses every time Fluttershy does something bad or goes against her element. Just saying stuff like that is what gets people pissed at her. 

That said, I do think some of the hate she gets is pretty ridiculous, I mean she's not really too bad of a character in terms of just providing some entertaining moments. I think a lot of it really has to do more with fan behavior than than the actual character.

Edited by bluseymoe
  • Brohoof 1

If only they stopped beating us over the head with how shy and introverted and friendless she is, I'd tolerate her a bit more

We get it, she's a socially awkward butterfly, can we please get some new characterization for her now?

More Dragonshy and Scaremaster, less doormat

I agree with you, alot, alot.

I'm aware a lot of people like Fluttershy since they sympathize with her or are reminded of themselves, but to me, it's just repeating the same thing over and over

Personally, I'm not a fan that by the end of most of her episodes, she's back to being scared of her own shadow, such as being freaked out by a leaf in Dragonshy and back to hiding under the bed in Scaremaster

Oh well, I guess Assertive Fluttershy didn't sell well

• Brohoof 2

Fluttershy is my favorite pony, so I won't try to put in any bias into this.

Sure, I think Fluttershy is cute. But that can be said for a lot of things. Heck, a baby snail can be kinda cute.

The only thing that ticks me off about Fluttershy is that this far into the show, and she STILL barely has any character development. Sure, she is a bit less "shy" than she was in the beginning, and the whole assertive Fluttershy thing and Tree Hugger stuff put some development into her, but this far into the show, there is absolutely no reason for her to still be this much of a "doormat".

Just my two cents.

• Brohoof 2

So basically you're saying that she doesn't deserve so much praise because " objectively" she's not a good character? Well I don't think so. First at all, I don't really think that you can say that a character is better than another in a objective way, so I don't really see the point of this thread. I don't see any kind of overprotectiveness in the Fluttershy fans and if you don't think she don't deserve that it's still your thought. I mean, RD fans, Pinkie Pie fans and so on will say that their own favourite pony is the best pony only by a few subjectively reasons as well. In my opinion she have a good development. And it's not even slow. You don't really like her so much so you want to see something else. I think that's why you see it a slow character development. I disagree when someone say that she's a flat character. I rather find her with a deep personality.Yes, she's kind and careful, but that doesn't make her annoying like a lot of people say. She have her flaws, she have her anger moments, she have her fears. But despite of that she can be powerful, brave and even dangerous. Okay that's still my opinion, but you said that a lot of fans loves her only because she's cute but I don't think this is the only reason. Anyway... yes, for some people she is loveable. I don't see anything wrong with it.

• Brohoof 3

I think Fluttershy is adorable/cute, and it's not a secret that she is my favorite character. but I think that everyone in mane six and in show in whole are adorable/cute in some way.

And her "unrealistic personality" or "She is bad character without development"......... She is cartoon character, it's not biography, It's cartoon made for entertaining purpose. For kids.

• Brohoof 3

Unrealistic personality? So, I guess all of us INFPs have unrealistic personality?  :( It's fine though, but I don't find her personality unrealistic at all, and I relate to her personality-wise a lot (to Twilight, I relate in other aspects mostly), and I know some other people do too. Many actually. I'm not as shy as her (though, I used to be even worse, and even now I feel very anxious at social gatherings), but I'm also overly-sensitive, and sometimes way too jumpy about things that normal people wouldn't even notice. I'm also very empathetic and adore animals. Blah, blah. Ironically, I was almost never said to be "cute", even less "adorable".

Never mind, back to the question and topic. I will be honest and say - I'm pretty sure you are not the only one who doesn't find her cute. I personally do, but I kind of think it's becoming overused. And I get why you are so frustrated about everyone saying that she's "the best pony" for being cute and adorable, I never liked character just for that aspect as well. I always seeked something more in them, and was generally more personality-oriented. But I do think she's a good character. Not the best out of mane 6, but still good. Probably because I relate to her so much, or because she actually can be assertive when she needs to be. And she's always there for her friends. And she's somehow innocent and pure.

And, honestly, I don't find the moments they showed in that video that cute at all. Probably because I'm so used to her being cute, I found it sweet, but nothing like "OMGGGG, SHE'S SO CUTEEE, I'M GONNA DIEEE!" And I think that "Yay" has been overused to hell, it's gotten so annoying. It was awesome and super cute at that moment, but they started putting it in totally wrong places, and it started feeling forced, and fans are using it everywhere... You get the point. 

And yes, some other character had their awesome cute moments too, that beat hers! I actually find Pinkie cuter than Flutters in general, but others have their moments too - especially Rainbow Dash and Twilight.

But, she's still awesome.

• Brohoof 1

Fluttershy's cute, but no cuter than any other pony. And she's still at the end when listing favorite Mane Six ponies, mostly because she's just not that interesting for me. But I don't dislike ANY ponies (except Suri Polomare, and even then I prefer to just blow her off). Pony characters are usually in two groups for me: Love or eh.

Now their FANS sure have made it hard to enjoy some of them though.

• 1 year later...

I am ISTJA and for me it was very ridiculous that they wasted so much time to convert Fluttershy from doormat into assertive person. She should of grew a pair long time ago.

I personally find Fluttershy to be cuter than the majority of the other ponies in the show for two reasons.

1) Her design and color scheme is simply softer and less abrasive than many of the other characters in the show. Appearances can go a long way in this regard. 

2) As somebody mentioned earlier, it's easier for us to relate to a character that more often than not expresses their weaknesses than a character such as Rainbow Dash, who constantly brags about her various strengths, appearing strong and invulnerable to the audience. Our affection towards Fluttershy sadly stems from the fact that many of us in fact pity her in the same way that a concerned parent pities their insecure child. We feel like she needs our support and that leads us to grow attached and protective of her.

Related image

I'm curious what makes you say that. As a fluttershy fan (and speaking for most fluttershy fans who like or love her), some (or most) of us can't resist her cute and adorable face (or looks even though it's all about looks). It's true that most of us like (or love) her in many ways, but mostly it's her cuteness (or cuteness overload in another way) that is hard to resist. I find Fluttershy to be cute, adorable, loveable, sweet, and kind pony. It's hard to find any cons and negatives on fluttershy even though it's hard to say when she's that kind of pony that I can't resist. She may be shy, emotional, and get scared, but she gets over them and conquers those kind of things and she is a great singer.

• Brohoof 1

While I think Fluttershy is sweet and cute, some people do exaggerate her cuteness to the point it feels like they don't see her other qualities. There are more things about her to praise than just the cuteness, such as her kindness and the overall warm feeling!

On 3/1/2016 at 9:26 PM, Meson Bolt said:

Basically what I said in the title. Yeah, I honestly don't find Fluttershy to be all that cute.

4576227.jpg

Now before you all come at me with your torches and pitchforks, let me say something very clear. I don't hate Fluttershy.

Sure, she might not be on my top 5 favorite ponies list... or even top 10... or even top 5 in my favorite Mane 6 ponies list... but I don't see anything massively wrong with her. I just feel that she gets a lot of undue praise because "she's adorable", when I personally just don't see her that way.

As an example of (I think) overrated praise, here's a video from the Brony Notion as to why he thinks Fluttershy is best pony.

Hide contents

Notice the first reason he gives as to why Fluttershy is best pony.

"Well, *sigh* she's adorable..."

(Which, mind you, is a subjective opinion...)

Heck, Fluttershy even got her own WatchPony.com video for her top 10 cutest moments in the show.

Reveal hidden contents

There are very, very few moments in which I find her to be the OMG SUPER CUUUTE PONIEE (yes, I do squeal that sometimes) that bronies make her to be. I've had moments like that with almost every other pony -- Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie all make me squeal from cuteness overload every now and again (some more than others...), but I just don't get that with Flutters.

(Admittedly I don't find Rarity super cute, but I don't think she's trying to be all that cute, so...)

Is there something I'm missing? Maybe I just don't enjoy her (IMO) unrealistic personality, or don't appreciate her design, or her mannerisms?

Now I wanna hear what you have to say. Do you think she's cute? Do you think she deserves as much praise as she's getting? If there is something I'm missing, could one of you awesome-faced people kindly point that out? Let me know, I'm curious to hear what you have to say.

Stay frosty!

Well Fluttershy is my favourite i do find her cute but thats nit really the reason i like her. I like her cuz even though shes shy, she tends to defend the things she loves such as her friends. It shows that she has a strong character underneath even though she doesnt like to show it. Anyways its no problem that you dont find her cute 

If we are talking about early 5 seasons, i can agree with you, buttttttt Season 6 exists, Fluttershy right now look more interesting than RD, she's now my third favorite mane 6. Her performances during S6 and S7 made her my favorite mane 6.

I am afraid you aren't welcome here. :angry:

Just kidding. I love her, but it isn't just because she is cute. I can relate to her because od how shy she is and her love of all animals. She even likes snakes and spiders, which I also like. Perhaps you don't identify or connect with her character, and have no interest. That's okay. :kindness:

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Foxy Socks said:

I am afraid you aren't welcome here. :angry:

Just kidding. I love her, but it isn't just because she is cute. I can relate to her because od how shy she is and her love of all animals. She even likes snakes and spiders, which I also like. Perhaps you don't identify or connect with her character, and have no interest. That's okay. :kindness:

Finally someone who likes snakes as well.:squee:

• Brohoof 1

Just now, RulesofRarity said:

I stopped finding her cute after she almost got her friends crushed in an avalanche. 

I dont recall that.... can you remind me about it?:squee:

14 hours ago, Twilight Witch said:

Your not. I don't find her cute. I don't like her.

I do find her cute and shes my favourite character. But mate, we all have diff opinions

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Nature Tune said:

I dont recall that.... can you remind me about it?:squee:

Back in season one, when they have to stop that dragon. The mane 6 enter an avalanche zone and Fluttershy causes an avalanche by screaming because a leaf falls on her back or something like that. 

• Brohoof 1