Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What's your opinion on Furries?

Rivulet

I honestly have nothing against the furry and I wouldn't have any reason to hate them, even though I'm not interested in that fandom. And then I couldn't hate them anyway since the bronies with an OC (so not all of us) are technically furry as well (imho). I have an OC, so in theory I would be in the furry category, but as such I don't feel at all and in that world I'm not interested. I know some furries and they are good people :b

In a word, I'm neutral to them.

(Only ponehz for me plz xD)

Edited by Alex2002ita

I don't mind furries at all- I even have a couple of my own characters collecting dust in folders somewhere on my computers, but I'm not at all a roleplaying kind of person and I've noticed that seems to be what keeps a lot of communities like this active. So it stays at arm's length for me. 

25 minutes ago, Celli said:

Well you know how some people are.

Do you mean intelligent and aware of the academic definition of subculture and what that constitutes? ;)

• Brohoof 1

I've been a furry for several years, and I think there is a ton of misconceptions.

I can understand where they come from, however, because there is a few subcultures, such as in this one, that are less than respectable. 

For me honestly it's just about expression and creativity. Picking a sona is inspiring and you can be anything you want to be. 

You can pick an animal that you connect with and really make them into what your personality is, I enjoy it a lot.

• Brohoof 2

I use to not like them, then I became neutral with them, then I met a furry on another forums and her and I became good friends. I wouldn't call myself one, but I have a lot of respect for them. Plus I think their drawings are adorable.

Like any community, fan-base or group of people in general, I don't believe that we should be as immediately dismissive and as judgmental to them as we perhaps are. Yes, a sizable part of that particular community has a habit to be absolutely poisonous but, the same can be said of any fan-base that has a large enough appeal. Just look at us bronies, we have a reputation as one of the worst communities on the internet but, in reality, it's just a few, more toxic individuals who are letting everybody else down. The same is true of furries.

• Brohoof 1

Every fandom has its good parts, and every fandom has its bad parts. You shouldn't judge a fandom based on the worst people among them, and that's what people do with furries (and oftentimes bronies too!). If you want to be a furry too, go ahead, I know a lot of furries and they are all wonderful people.:)

• Brohoof 1

I try not to let my ex impact my opinion of them (she was one), but I really don't have a problem with it. Do what you want, it doesn't affect me. I'm sure most in the community are very cool people- but even after trying to involve myself because my past relationship made me do a lot of things I thought I liked but really didn't, I was never into it much and now that I'm out of it I have no interest what-so-ever.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I am one! 

A lot of people hear that you're a "furry" and assume that you want to go out and have inappropriate relations with farm animals; it's their problem that they can't differentiate between interest in anthropomorphic animal characters and bestiality (and that they immediately associate physical attraction with sex). :okiedokieloki:

Also, not all furries like to dress up in costumes. There's nothing wrong with that--just not my thing.

Edited by Kings&Hooves14
  • Brohoof 2

I personlly think furries are unique and awesome in their own ways, just like us bronies and pegasisters. Furries are actually really cute, and I've often thought about joining the furry fandom myself, not to do dress up or anything....but just to have fursona art and stuff like that...then again I'm really more into ponies. The MLP fandom is the only fandom I'm a part of and I think I'd like to keep it that way. :P

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

I don't have anything against them. Of course you do have one or two idiots in the community, but that's pretty much unavoidable anywhere. 

• Brohoof 1

was just reading the comments about relationships. from first hand experience, furries are no good at healthy long term relationships (talking in majoirty here). Ive had 3 furry boyfriends. All relationships turned out toxic in different ways.

Spoiler

First one being my first boyfriend ever. Turned out to be manipulative and mentally abusive in the end. The big one being that i would get scolded by him for buying a £3 comic, but it was fine for him to buy £££ airsoft supplies. That kind of thing. His friends were disgusting people, really sour personalities and just being with him made me a horrible person. Furry drama central, I would bait and troll alongside him. Just power driven and a bully. He was and still is quite the pervert online and still bullies people he finds weak, not as much these days, but hes just kinda out to enjoy the gay and RP scene of furries. Sadly I was with him for 7 years. we had a break for a bit but then got back together. That fear of being lonely =/ 

#2 was an odd one.... but not unheard of within the fur community. Kinda an open relationship thing where I got caught with feelings and he did too. We fooled around a lot. I felt a connection with him (I was still technically going out with #1) and he was married facing a hard time over getting a divorce or not, so I was not helping. x.x Again hes a furry with a dark side. Hes the type to seduce and fool around with any girl he can get near, myself included. So when I found that out, I was devestated. Hes still married and fools around >.> so "hooray". All the girls are furries he gets with. Lots of RP, lots of cartoon themed NSFW art and such. >.>

#3 First time I felt properly loved, but I think it was loneliness on both sides. I left #1 for him as the relationship had just died by then. But we pretty much fought and argued from the first month together =/ He was the relationship that made me realise that there are nicer guys out there, but this one was prone to anger issues and tantrums. Which happened even over texts. We didnt get anywhere in terms of living, stuck in one room the whole time treading on toes and no personal space to breathe. I sucked at keeping a job, he overworked when not needed to and it just all blew up. He is also a furry, but has switched to being a brony. MLP is the reaosn we got close in the first place. But he also has a dark furry side which i just did not approve of. So I left.

Kinda 3 of the many personalities youll see within the fandom. I now have a horrible rep because of the first 2 guys.

Current partner is 100% non furry. He loves animals and cartoons but not at all to furry level or thinking. And I think thats what I needed in life. a normal relationship and view on the world. He does hate furries in general, but lets me have that as my own thing if I want to. I still have the fursuit, but shes semi retired and stays in storage and I draw furry art still, which he kinda likes the generic nice stuff. but again, no interest in joining furries at all.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

To put it bluntly, I don't like furries due to negative contact from them on a multiple year basis. I am not going to delve into detail because I know it upsets people, but long story short it was a mess of dramatic crap that made me attack those who pulled the 'they're just very vocal minority' card because quite the contrary is just deeply ingrained into me. I don't have many self-proclaimed furries as friends and I am okay with that, since I am not vehement about it all as I used to and I can like my anthro animals without associating with them, it's all good.

In a way I sort of am a furry, though I don't associate with the fandom.

Never really had a PARTICULAR problem with the fanbase in general. Better than other fandoms, surely (Steven Universe, League of Legends). Do have problems with some particular furries (Like Verlisify (yes he is a furry), because he's a neo-nazi that attacks other people in the Pokemon Community for no reason whatsoever).

• Brohoof 1

In my personal opinion, I can't dislike furries without disliking bronies as well. As much as they are different fandoms, they are still very very similar.

Both like anthropomorphic animals, one just likes anthropomorphic animals of a certain style and from a specific show. 

Both fandoms have awful people, but both fandoms also have a mostly welcoming community. 

Both fandoms are full of creative people and have many high quality art and other media made by fandom members. 

And Both fandoms have that more deviant and sometimes creepy side.

• 4 years later...

I immediately liked furries when I discovered them. :) I liked the videos when they are wearing fursuits and hug many people. It's cute, fun and wholesome.

I was active in the community as well, just not very long. I was missing something like My Little Pony, a show or media that everyone likes and could talk about. I need a deeper connection. It's more similar to the MLP OC's. Even though they look nice, I simply know nothing about them. The emotional connection really is important to me. So I'm really glad I discovered FiM later on. :wub: The cool thing about FiM is, that you can find its fan content everywhere. DeviantArt? Fur Affinity? They are everywhere. :eager: The ponies make it worth it to still check out all kinds of sites.

I have pretty mixed feelings on furries. I used to consider myself one (and I've still got my fursona from that time in my life) but various events both personal and widespread in the community has really made me incredibly wary of most furries I don't know. The cycle of a prominent member of the community being revealed to be absolutely abhorrent, only to be defended by a disturbing amount of people, along with people crying out about how "tHiS wIlL mAkE uS lOoK bAd!!!!!!!" without any consideration to the people who may have been hurt, has happened far too many times for me to feel comfortable sticking around under the same label. I am aware there are many furries who are good people and are perfectly well adjusted individuals, but I'm too jaded now.

And honestly? All of the above can be easily applied to my thoughts on the wider brony community. The venn diagram of why I'm wary of these communities is a circle.