Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Tips on inspiration and motivation in creative endeavours

geartree

So basically lately my schedule lately has not allowed me much free time on my PC due to circumstances. I used to have a lot of free time in this case, so I spent a lot of time playing video games and programming. Well now that I have less time I have been taking the lazy path and just playing CSGO, and let my skills in programming sit to rot. I used to feel inspired to want to code this game, but lately I don't feel motivated at all, or ibspired, and I end up using all of my free time on playing video games.

Now being about 17 now, it seems normal for soneone to just finish their school and just spend the rest of their time playing video games. But I want to create, not just use.

Do any of you have any ideas or tips on how someone like me (lazy/unmotivated/un-inspired) can get to be how I felt before, creative and inspired? I used to write passages about the fictional worlds I had thought of, but now I just sit around wasting time. If you have any experience in such a dilemma, or just anything to say, it would be much appreciated.

• Brohoof 1

I know exactly how you feel, if I may make a suggestion, find something that really interests you - whether it be folklore, video games that take your interest, or anything like that and try to put a new spin on it. if you can tie your creativity into something you enjoy, then it won't seem like a chore and seem more of a natural flow of inspiration to create something.

Try to find other people who have similar skills, or skills that can help you and you can work together on a project that'll fire you up.

Well, that's how it worked for me at least.

I know exactly how you feel, if I may make a suggestion, find something that really interests you - whether it be folklore, video games that take your interest, or anything like that and try to put a new spin on it. if you can tie your creativity into something you enjoy, then it won't seem like a chore and seem more of a natural flow of inspiration to create something.

Try to find other people who have similar skills, or skills that can help you and you can work together on a project that'll fire you up.

Well, that's how it worked for me at least.

Yeah. The thing is it's not easy to find someone else who could work with me.

Yeah. The thing is it's not easy to find someone else who could work with me.

Well, that's what the forums are for, you could put out a call for people to come to you or you could try looking on the forum for projects that interest ya.

(edited)

Well, that's what the forums are for, you could put out a call for people to come to you or you could try looking on the forum for projects that interest ya.

The thing is I know what does interest me. It's just that I have lost the drive to want to create it. I think I just need to rethink my "vision" of what I want to create, and focus on the parts that make it meaningful to myself.

Edited by geartree

Just do it.  Try to dedicate some time to doing the thing you want to do and after a certain amount of given time, if you don't want to do it anymore don't do it.  Try to get into the habit of doing that thing everyday, make it weird when you don't do it for a day.  It doesn't have to be anything good, it could be absolute rubbish but don't quit because you don't feel inspired to do said thing.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Just do it. Try to dedicate some time to doing the thing you want to do and after a certain amount of given time, if you don't want to do it anymore don't do it. Try to get into the habit of doing that thing everyday, make it weird when you don't do it for a day. It doesn't have to be anything good, it could be absolute rubbish but don't quit because you don't feel inspired to do said thing.

Yeah. I guess in the words of Shia ,"Just do it!"

But really, I found out today after a bit a reading that having an image in your mind, or a clear goal, that helps ypu feel motivated. I found it helped me a little, since I felt more inspired again. I knew that was supposed to help, but I never realized that actually writing it down can help.

Edited by geartree

I hate that feeling.  I had the same thing happen to me with photography.  I love photography, it's my passion, but over the summer I just stopped doing it and lost interest in it altogether.  But after picking up a new hobby (guitar) I felt creative again and wanted to go back to taking photos.  

So maybe it's not just the loss of interest in coding and programming, but a loss of creative drive.  Try to pick up another hobby and have a fresh start.  Clear your mind and let it come back naturally.  Don't force yourself or make yourself feel obligated.  I don't know about you but if I have something in mind that I really want to do, but then I'm told by someone else or I force myself to do that same exact thing, I lose all interest in it.

• Brohoof 1

I hate that feeling.  I had the same thing happen to me with photography.  I love photography, it's my passion, but over the summer I just stopped doing it and lost interest in it altogether.  But after picking up a new hobby (guitar) I felt creative again and wanted to go back to taking photos.  

So maybe it's not just the loss of interest in coding and programming, but a loss of creative drive.  Try to pick up another hobby and have a fresh start.  Clear your mind and let it come back naturally.  Don't force yourself or make yourself feel obligated.  I don't know about you but if I have something in mind that I really want to do, but then I'm told by someone else or I force myself to do that same exact thing, I lose all interest in it.

I assumed that. I like programming when I have a project I want to get done, I love programming. It is when I have nothing I want to make, or if I do its not something I want to make but really just an idea I am not into, I do not end up programming

(edited)

I assumed that. I like programming when I have a project I want to get done, I love programming. It is when I have nothing I want to make, or if I do its not something I want to make but really just an idea I am not into, I do not end up programming

Have you tried looking up tutorials on new things, or just playing around in your programming software to see what happens?  Sometimes not knowing what can happen can create inspiration.

Also, you're 17.  I'm 17 too and I know what it's like to be busy in school with hardly any free time.  As long as you don't let the fire die inside of you, you keep the passion to program alive, things will work out.  By the time I get home from school, I'm tired and have no motivation to do anything.  Don't beat yourself up too much for being too lazy to do what you like.  Life can be stressful.

Edited by shy0wl
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...

Inspiration comes from anywhere that makes you happy. If you see something that makes you happy, try to understand why, and expand on it!

What I usually do is have two or more creative projects on the go at the same time. If I'm feeling burned out on one, then I'll shift to another for a while to give my creativity enough time to recharge from the project I'm taking a break from. The creative itch for a project always comes back. You just have to give it a little time to recover to make sure you don't burn yourself out over it. And while you're waiting for it to recharge, you've at least made progress on other creative endeavours.