Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Do you vape?

Rainbow    Dash

So i got into vaping after meeting local bronies. They said it was a healthy alternative to actual smoking. Now, they didnt say vape in place of smoking. In fact, they told me to quit instead of looking for more ways to smoke. After a long talk about smoking and why we do it, they pointed me to vaping. Less messy, less chemical's im inhaling(cause im mostly smoking vegetable oils and flavoring with a small amount of nicotine. 

Bought myself a 200 dollar vape pen thats top of the line(until they make a newer better one) that works well. I've been mostly vaping to get that extra energy during work. Now im flavor hunting. I dont smoke for the nictotine anymore. I use 0mg nictotine e-juices that are just flavouring. I spend close to 100 dollars a month looking for that next big flavour. (Why do i feell like this is someone's OC's backstory?).

I just wanted to know, who else vapes? Maybe even start a vapers club? Do you vape to quit smoking, flavour hunt like me, or just cause?

• Brohoof 1

I do use 0-nicotevale oens. Ya know, the ones that have a limited amount of puffs and are disposable? Ienjoy using them because they do wonders for my anxiety for some reason.

I have a friend who vapes; though I've never done it and don't personally see the appeal.  I didn't even know they made nicotine free varieties.  I feel as though "vaping" might be one of those things people look back on in a decade or two and go, "Wait, what?"

On 3/5/2016 at 2:35 AM, Venomous said:
I do use 0-nicotene vape pens. Ya know, the ones that have a limited amount of puffs and are disposable? I really enjoy using them because they do wonders for my anxiety for some reason.

Those have at least 1mg of nicotine in them. When it burns, you get 0 maybe 1mg if your doing it alot. This owner of a vape store told me they put in the nicotine so it burns slower. 12mg e juices are really thick while omg are thinner but still thicker than water.

On 3/5/2016 at 3:21 AM, Kyoshi said:
That to me is an interesting phenomenon, the idea of using a vapor device for a specific flavor. Rather interesting. : o

You should try it, its kinda fun. There are people who flavour trip(totally legal, a 5 year old could do it) with those.

On 3/5/2016 at 3:34 AM, Ziggy and Angelbaby said:
I feel as though "vaping" might be one of those things people look back on in a decade or two and go, "Wait, what?"

My ww2 buddy saw my vape and said it looked like something they give out in the Military today; like a swiss army knife that also charges your phone. 

(edited)

Those have at least 1mg of nicotine in them. When it burns, you get 0 maybe 1mg if your doing it alot. This owner of a vape store told me they put in the nicotine so it burns slower. 12mg e juices are really thick while omg are thinner but still thicker than water.

I'm not sure who this guy you were talking to was, but he is incorrect.  The thickness of the liquid has nothing to do with the concentration of nicotine, it is governed by the proportion of Vegetable Glycerin to Propylene Glycol.  A higher proportion of VG makes a thicker liquid and denser vapour clouds, whereas the PG is what (mostly) 'carries' the flavour.

If it's flavour that you're after then you want to go for liquids which are around 50/50 VG/PG, whereas the people who want to deploy a military grade smokescreen will go for a liquid that's more like 99/1.

Additionally, the Nicotine level has nothing to do with how fast the liquid 'burns', and as the Nicotine is not necessary for the function of the vapouriser as a whole, if the liquid says it is 0mg Nicotine, then it does not contain Nicotine.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 2

Regularly, no. I have the disposable no-nicotine ones every now and then as I like the taste and sensation. I'd like to get a proper one so I can enjoy more flavours and have it more casually, but at the moment it's a luxury I can't afford. I'm not a smoker of regular cigarettes, and am keen on keeping it that way.

I never saw the point of it. If I want to taste something I'll have a soda or whatever, and inhaling chemicals just doesn't seem like a very smart idea, nicotine or not.

(edited)

I've never been tempted to vape or smoke and to be honest I don't see that changing any time soon.. Mostly because I know the damage that it can do to someone's health, although I do quite like the idea of a better option in vaping.

Edited by AtomicStone

(edited)

I don't smoke or vape,the only thing I suck into my lungs is air, no telling the long term affects of that china made "juice" on your lungs. it ain't "just water vapor" there are artificial flavors and colors and other things that are being vaporized and sucked into your lungs

Edited by simba86

Hmmm, I heard that vaping isn't THAT healthy too, I mean, maybe it's better than actually smoking, but then, better doesn't mean good... you see what I mean? Well, I could be wrong, I don't know, but I heard that there is still a bit of nicotine and toxic substances in it... negligible quantity maybe, but still...

Well, anyway, I don't smoke myself, and I don't think I'll vape too c: I mean, doing it for the taste only seems weird, I can eat or drink the real deal if I want to ;)

Hmmm, I heard that vaping isn't THAT healthy too, I mean, maybe it's better than actually smoking, but then, better doesn't mean good... you see what I mean? Well, I could be wrong, I don't know, but I heard that there is still a bit of nicotine and toxic substances in it... negligible quantity maybe, but still...

Well, anyway, I don't smoke myself, and I don't think I'll vape too c: I mean, doing it for the taste only seems weird, I can eat or drink the real deal if I want to ;)

I do vape, but I'm one of those silly people who got into smoking when I was younger and I now vape instead, because no matter how much harm it may or may not do, it's almost certainly not as damaging as smoking is.

I certainly wouldn't recommend vaping to anyone that isn't a smoker.  As a smoking cessation aid it has been incredibly effective for me, and I enjoy it as a less-lethal option.  But for a non-smoker to take it up would be like someone that isn't a heroin addict taking up methadone for fun.

I do vape, but I'm one of those silly people who got into smoking when I was younger and I now vape instead, because no matter how much harm it may or may not do, it's almost certainly not as damaging as smoking is.

I certainly wouldn't recommend vaping to anyone that isn't a smoker.  As a smoking cessation aid it has been incredibly effective for me, and I enjoy it as a less-lethal option.  But for a non-smoker to take it up would be like someone that isn't a heroin addict taking up methadone for fun.

I see... well , I knew about that, but it's always good to hear from someone who knows what he's talking about. I said that because I know plenty of non-smokers that vape instead of smoking, saying that it's healthy and such -_- Well, anyway, I'm glad it worked for you as an aid :)

I don't vape or smoke, but I have actually considered getting one with a flavor that has zero nicotine just for the action of doing so. I've hit my friends a few time back at Amazon and honestly, its not a terrible way to relax or calm down from something stressful. So, that'd be my main reason to ever have one.

I neither smoke or vape though I have a friend that vapes for the flavor. That to me is an interesting phenomenon, the idea of using a vapor device for a specific flavor. Rather interesting. : o

This is exactly what I'd do. Just get a bunch of really nice flavors that are either very, very low on nicotine or like, just don't have it at all and simply do it for flavoring and a small stress relief.

Normally, I do my best to avoid involving myself in online discussions which have a propensity to become inflammatory.  However, when the topic is related to public health, such as in this conversation, I feel compelled to offer a counterargument.  Here is a recently published article relating the findings of studies investigating the possible health effects of e-cigs:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/vaping-linked-host-new-health-risks

I should warn everyone to take the title of the article with a grain of salt.  As the article itself states, it's still unknown definitively what sort of health risks are associated with vaping.  But, shocking titles are more likely to grab attention, so there it is.

That said, give the article a read.  According to the studies, there may be a host of health effects associated with vaping, even in the absence of nicotine.  One thing the article does not state (but which may be indicated in the research articles themselves) is the identity of the e-cig liquids used in the study, which means that it's possible that these adverse health effects are an isolated phenomenon exclusive to those particular products.  On the other hand, if that were the case, it raises some questions about manufacturing standards for e-cig products, or their authenticity.

If the studies are a faithful representation of e-cigs in general, then it would be unwise to consider them a risk-free alternative to smoking.  As the article states, however, it may still be a better choice than smoking itself.  For now, this is all speculation, since more research is required to draw any sort of substantial conclusion.  But my point is that it is far too early to decide that vaping is a safe, or indeed safer, alternative to smoking.  There is insufficient research to support the truth one way or the other.

For my own part, I have thought about vaping, and think I would actually enjoy it, but ultimately I decided to wait until health studies were performed and I knew for sure what I was getting into.  It's not something I want to wake up and regret one day - my own grandfather died of lung cancer from smoking.

• Brohoof 2

I vape, I also make my own liquid. I don't claim to know anything about the safety of vaping, but a lot of information I've read seems to indicate that it's considerably less harmful than smoking. A lot of the "dangers of vaping" articles seem to rely on sources that compare chemicals in cigarettes vs vapor, it's the smoke that contains all the toxins, not the cigarette. Another thing I've seen is relying on poor study practices, or (as was previously mentioned) poorly documented studies. Bottom line, for me, is that I feel a lot better since switching to vaping. I would not, however, recommend ANY non-smoker to vape.

TL;DR

Vaping seems to be safer, and if you don't smoke, don't vape.

Anything that makes someone more stupi- I mean, "calmer" is a waste of my time. Okay, that a bit of a blanket statement. But really, I instantly have a red flag when I see it "calms someone". Usually that means slowing something in the head down, and I don't care if it means dealing with a little stress: I'd rather be in top condition as often as possible.

In my opinion (which I imagine is unpopular), just because something is healthier than something else, doesn't necessarily make it healthy in itself. It's common sense that ideally the only thing that should be going through a human's lungs is fresh air. To be honest, I wouldn't want to be around anyone who smokes anything, just makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Edited by Lucid Dream

I use a Sigelei 150 watt box mod, with an Aspire: Atlantis V2 tank and clapton coils. I vape at around 6mg nicotine, and generally stick to desert or breakfast flavors. I smoked like a chimney all throughout high school, and I quit fairly successfully before I graduated. As I picked more hours up at work, I found this was a great way to keep my hands busy.

Late last year I was able to quit chewing tobacco by vaping.  I just use Vuse e-cigs.  I don't vape for fun.  I only use it when I have an urge for nicotine.  

~ Miles