Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

All my love to Brazil

Steel Accord

(edited)

So this is another little project I've decided to undertake occasionally. I'll recount a country I've visited and why I love it. Starting off with Brazil.

So my younger brother at the time, had his leg injured and spent the whole trip in a cast. Sad but I establish that now to give what happens later context.

We started our journey in Manaus, a small hotel that even had a zoo inside of it. A small one, but it was great nevertheless to actually be close enough to give a monkey a leaf to eat without the zoo guards here barking at you. Not much happened in Manaus besides that but that's because we had to get to the boat that would take us down the Amazon River. The boat had smaller boats being towed behind it, and had great fish to serve. There was one day on the river where we fished for piranha. Blase, my aforementioned brother, actually got his rod caught in the tree and when he shook it, spider came raining down on all of us. We had a good laugh especially since if our Mom was there, she probably would have jumped into the water. We saw caiman's, sloths, a house boat, and even the elusive river dolphin.

We made landfall in beautiful Rio de Janeiro and that's where things got really interesting. There were sand sculptures and two of them right next to each other. One was of a man and woman in the throes of passion and the other was of the last supper. My Mom asked our guide how something so austere and something so primal could co-exist like that. He said, "oh you know, we got problems but in the end," he pointed to Christ the Redeemer atop corcovado, "He sees everything." Speaking of which, we took a cable car up to the very foot of the statue and gazed at the city below. It was a beautiful sight.

It was Easter when we went, so we obviously went to mass. It was there that, though we had basically carried a limp brother through most of the trip, but a kindly old woman prayed with us for Blase's health and kissed him on both the cast and forehead.

There are more little highlights to the trip, actually vine swinging in the rainforest, wearing some carnival jaguar outfits, but the ultimate point I'm trying to make is that I love Brazil. I love its life, and its people. I would gladly call any who call such a place home, my friend.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

That is a beautiful account! Of course I am partial to that since I am Brazilian, but oh well, whatever :lol:

I live in São Paulo. Around a year and a half ago I have traveled to Recife and João Pessoa for a couple scientific meetings. Even though it wasn't a trip on vacation, I could still enjoy the places, I really liked seeing different stuff. I have stayed on each one for a week. It is quite daunting to travel just by myself, but I managed to do well.

I could walk around the cities and know them, their culture. They were cities on the litoral, so I could also visit the beaches. I have also visited some churches, and even watched the mass. Here are some pictures:

post-34493-0-72475600-1457153445_thumb.jpg

post-34493-0-38674800-1457153476_thumb.jpg

post-34493-0-53641000-1457153497_thumb.jpg

post-34493-0-32172800-1457153525_thumb.jpg

post-34493-0-96712400-1457153618_thumb.jpg

There are more little highlights to the trip, actually vine swinging in the rainforest, wearing some carnival jaguar outfits, but the ultimate point I'm trying to make is that I love Brazil. I love its life, and its people. I would gladly call any who call such a place home, my friend.

Then thank you very much, my friend :)

When did this trip happen, by the way?

• Brohoof 2

I am glad that you enjoyed the country.

But be happy that you don't live here, the govermment is twenty kinds of fucked up. Mainly because of our wonderful President.

Nowhere is perfect and I don't define a country by its government. Actually, if I did have to move international, you guys are on my list of the places I'd move to.

• Brohoof 1

The subject of this topic has little potential to spark discussion between many members and, as such, would be better suited to a status update or a blog. When creating a thread, please remember that the goal is to start a conversation with room for many people to chime in and give their own viewpoints on, and that sharing events of an anecdotal nature would be better done elsewhere.

@Steel Accord, I personally recommend you start a blog dedicated to this series. Your travels are definitely fascinating, and they would do well in a place you can shape according to your interests.

• Brohoof 1