What did you think?  

315 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• I hated it!
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was...meh.
    • I liked it pretty well.
    • THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

I was literally typing out the same theory, noticed the "1 new reply to the thread" message, clicked it, and well... beat me to it I guess.

Great minds... thinking... you know the lyrics.   :D  

I'd have beat YOU if I hadn't stopped to explain it to someone first before typing it out.

I'm willing to bet yours was more detailed, as well.

It's weird - I feel bad that I supplanted your end with my own... but I feel STOKED that it wasn't just ME seeing this! 

I'm willing to bet yours was more detailed, as well.

It's weird - I feel bad that I supplanted your end with my own... but I feel STOKED that it wasn't just ME seeing this! 

Actually, I would like to add to the theory that:

• Sunburst seemed interested when he found out that Starlight traveled through time;
  • Sunburst is already wearing a starry cloak;
  • Sunburst knows a LOT about magic, seemingly more than all of the alicorns;
  • If put on the spot to come up with a new name to hide his identity after travelling through time, he might default to using part of his first friend's name, "Star";
  • I don't remember the part exactly, but something Celestia said about him near the end almost seemed to hint that she knew something more about him and just wasn't saying anything.
  • Brohoof 2

Sunburst seemed interested when he found out that Starlight traveled through time;

Yup.  Saw that!

Sunburst is already wearing a starry cloak;

I didn't notice stars... but I DID notice the cloak itself!

Sunburst knows a LOT about magic, seemingly more than all of the alicorns;

Yup.  Saw that!

If put on the spot to come up with a new name to hide his identity after travelling through time, he might default to using part of his first friend's name, "Star";

Entirely plausible - an homage to his friend, now lost to him forever.   :(

I don't remember the part exactly, but something Celestia said about him near the end almost seemed to hint that she knew something more about him and just wasn't saying anything.

Come to think of it... she DID talk to him at the end there, didn't she?  Hmmmm... will have to watch again.  (Planned to anyway!)

@Time Shield, I think we're onto something here... does anyone else see this possibility?

I think after the season 6 premiere, we might get to see some Starlight Glimmer episodes this time.

I at least want to see Starlight Glimmer and Sunburst go on a date.  Maybe in the future, they may get...MARRIED!

• Brohoof 1

A couple of quick observations:

First, after the Crystal Heart "crystalfies" everyone, we can see that both Shining Armor's and Cadance's crystalfied versions in "The Crystalling Part 2" are different than in "The Crystal Empire Part 2". In the screenshots below from "The Crystal Empire Part 2", we can see that Shining Armor's mane is the same style as normal, and that Cadance's crystalfied mane is symmetrical and incorporates her crown, while her tail is the same style as normal.

post-7304-0-90951800-1459144531_thumb.pngpost-7304-0-26708800-1459144603_thumb.png

In the screenshot below from "The Crystalling Part 2", we can see that Shining Armor's mane becomes more slicked back, and Cadance's crystalfied mane is different - no longer symmetrical, although she's not wearing her crown this time - while her tail has gained a Rarity-like twist.

post-7304-0-54011000-1459144697_thumb.png

I think that the rest of the Mane Six's and Spike's crystalfied versions are consistent between the two episodes.

Second, there are several times in "The Crystalling" episodes where crystalfied ponies do not have hexagonal or diamond-shaped glints in their eyes, although this wasn't consistent in "The Crystal Empire" episodes either. Sometimes the crystal-shaped eye glints don't even stay consistent for the same character in the same episode. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which (or when) crystalfied ponies have crystal-shaped eye glints, so I suspect that it's just animation oversight.

• Brohoof 2

Hm... I wasn't very hyped for this season/episodes, but I ended up enjoying them, in the end.

It was all very predictable, easy to see Sunburst's role in fixing the crisis, and how him reconciling with Starlight would play into it.

I guess what I really liked were the Greek influences they threw into the Crystal kingdom this time, like the vase Spike had.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know why, but I completely lost it when I watched Flurry Heart grab hold of Pinkie Pie's face by the eyeballs to face-hug her and Pinkie Pie hardly responds.  Anyone else or was it just me?

• Brohoof 3

After re-watching the episode, I began to realize how sad Sunburst's backstory actually is, in particular because it comes so close to real life.

I mean, after Sunburst got his cutie mark, his parents send him off to Canterlot, having high expectations for him. Only for Sunburst to painfully find out his magic talent is limited, probably only allowing him to do the most basic of spells. (Like re-arranging books/manipulating objects) It must have been so painful and frustrating for him to know so much, maybe even being the best student in that area in magic school, but only to see others surpass him and do those things while he could only watch. I can imagine he felt so ashamed, felt that he disappointed his parents. This experience may have led to Sunburst closing himself off, starting to lead a sheltered life and feeling so ashamed he never made or kept any friends. No wonder he fled to the Crystal Empire when he got the chance, staying at Canterlot would have been to painful, as there was nothing there for him anymore. And because no one would know him in the Crystal Empire it would be the perfect spot to hide.

He seemed like the type who would stay indoors for days at the time, avoiding outside contact as much as possible. (He may have had a job like a librarian or teacher or something. I assume he still needed to earn money for a living)

No wonder he lied to Starlight about him being a wizard, after hearing she had become a protege of the princess of friendship. It must have only made him feel more ashamed of himself. I loved the message at the end that no matter who you are, you can always make a difference, as long as you believe in yourself. Sunburst seemed like a genuinely nice character. Just a normal down-to-earth pony who wants to do the right thing, but is capable of a lot more as long as he believed in it.

I hope we'll see more of him later on. His design was very nice too, in particular is color scheme.

Edited by JH24
  • Brohoof 5

Let's face it, we can now ship it.............starburst ????

Finally got to use that from a friend made an OC named star bolt and one named dawn burst.way back in s3

• Brohoof 1

Before Starlight is my avatar

I did this. Respect!!!

First, after the Crystal Heart "crystalfies" everyone, we can see that both Shining Armor's and Cadance's crystalfied versions in "The Crystalling Part 2" are different than in "The Crystal Empire Part 2". In the screenshots below from "The Crystal Empire Part 2", we can see that Shining Armor's mane is the same style as normal, and that Cadance's crystalfied mane is symmetrical and incorporates her crown, while her tail is the same style as normal.

attachicon.gifThe Crystal Empire Crystalfied Shining Armor.pngattachicon.gifThe Crystal Empire Crystalfied Cadance.png

In the screenshot below from "The Crystalling Part 2", we can see that Shining Armor's mane becomes more slicked back, and Cadance's crystalfied mane is different - no longer symmetrical, although she's not wearing her crown this time - while her tail has gained a Rarity-like twist.

attachicon.gifThe Crystalling Crystalfied Shining Armor and Cadance.png

I think that the rest of the Mane Six's and Spike's crystalfied versions are consistent between the two episodes.

Second, there are several times in "The Crystalling" episodes where crystalfied ponies do not have hexagonal or diamond-shaped glints in their eyes, although this wasn't consistent in "The Crystal Empire" episodes either. Sometimes the crystal-shaped eye glints don't even stay consistent for the same character in the same episode. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which (or when) crystalfied ponies have crystal-shaped eye glints, so I suspect that it's just animation oversight.

Hmm.. True Mr or Mrs or Miss or Ms

• Brohoof 2

Sadly these episodes were the weakest season openers I've seen thus far. I didn't like Flurry Heart at all, I didn't like how the existing canon got stuffed with the line 'this has never happened before' in regards to the birth of an alicorn, since it was said before that Celestia and Luna were born alicorns. The 'frazzled parents' thing was unnecessary because we've already had Baby Cakes. Starlight's immense power and skill weren't explained at all.

On a more positive note, I like Starlight's development and for the most part I liked her interactions with Spike. Her subplot was vastly more interesting than the main plot. I really hope the rest of the season will be better.

After re-watching the episode, I began to realize how sad Sunburst's backstory actually is, in particular because it comes so close to real life.

Well Said, that was my impression as well.

Many people have feeling of inadequacy and shame, and that line of plot was very relatable.  It's almost too good, cause it dredges up memories in yourself.

My favorite part of the episode for sure.  

I didn't like how the existing canon got stuffed with the line 'this has never happened before' in regards to the birth of an alicorn, since it was said before that Celestia and Luna were born alicorns. 

the line is "it is somethine EQUESTRIA has never seen"

which came first?  the sister or the founding of equestria?

Edited by weesh

Basically, I loved everything except that little bundle of vomit.  Lore destroying piece of sh*t...   I would have been okay with it if she had just been a normal, unremarkable unicorn.

I still want to believe what we are seeing isn't actually their baby, but Chrysalis in disguise; hence the crazy over sized wings and horn, and all the bad stuff that happened in the episode was Chrysalis trying to take out the Crystal Empire without blowing her cover. Even the baby's magic energy is a similar color to Chrysalis'...

I just haven't figured out a way for her to foalnap a baby before it was born and then crawl up inside Cadence's uterus without anyone noticing.  :lol: Unless all the nurses at the birth were changelings, too, and the swap happened during the birth...  :wat:

Speaking of the birth, you were right - they didn't show Cadence pregnant. I thought the birth would be the main point of the opener and would happen in pt 2, meaning Cadence would be showing in pt. 1; but it was pretty much done with by the time the episode started. You would think in this day and age it would be no big deal, but I guess MLP is marketed to countries where showing someone pregnant is forbidden.

• Brohoof 2

@Time Shield, I think we're onto something here... does anyone else see this possibility?

Wait, I just realized a possible crucial flaw. Do we know what Star Swirl's cutie mark is? If we do, then it is unlikely to have changed if it isn't the same as Sunburst's.

Except (and this is a massive stretch) if that incomplete spell of his caused his cutie mark to swap with someone else's? But I think that's even less likely since it was only the elements of harmony being altered that caused it to happen to the mane 6 in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

the line is "it is somethine EQUESTRIA has never seen"

which came first?  the sister or the founding of equestria?

I think a lot of people missed this point.  If they were born before Equestria was founded, they could have been born alicorns and the statement would remain true.  If they were born after Equestria was founded, they could still have been born alicorns, just somewhere else aside from Equestria, and the statement would still be true.

• Brohoof 1

Well, not the best opening, but still pretty good, i can't wait to see the 3. episode :) When Starlight sit down and listen to Spike near the statue(?), that was hilarious :D The old Starlight somewhat came back :D

attachicon.gifThe Crystalling Crystalfied Shining Armor and Cadance.png

Oh..maybe they are Changlings..dun dun duuun

Edited by BlinkZ
  • Brohoof 1