What did you think?  

315 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• I hated it!
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was...meh.
    • I liked it pretty well.
    • THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

Pretty good premiere. Seems Starlight is gonna be a more common occurrence in the show. Which could be a good or bad thing, have to see how the other episodes play out.But I'd like to see some of the other new characters having more appearances, like Treehugger, Moon Dancer...etcetera

Also, I wonder if they'll "age" Flurry heart. I imagine a few episodes being centered around Flurry Heart.  Since she is Royalty and an Alicorn..I'm kind of expecting some sort of age development to her along the next couple seasons.

Looking forward to the rest of the season, see what they explore and find. :squee:

I think they just went off the deep end.

I didn't like this season opener and i think they just shot themselves in the hoof with this whole alicorn thing.

And while i know it was just fanon, the idea of never haveing a born alicorn until now just diminishes the rolls of Celestia and Luna and erases the importance of Twilight altogether.

I honestly think im done with this story

And while i know it was just fanon, the idea of never haveing a born alicorn until now just diminishes the rolls of Celestia and Luna and erases the importance of Twilight altogether.

Why?  How will it make things any different?

• Brohoof 1

The two episodes felt kind of slow paced. I was just waiting for Sunburst to reveal his lack of success or whatever. And Flurry Heart wasn't that interesting. Also, I don't care for the idea of the crystal heart being destroyed and so easily no less.

They were decent episodes but I think I think they may have been better.

Alright, after a secoond view in which I didn't have bias against the baby, I must say this episode was pretty great. I actually don't mind the baby being an alicorn that much now, I'm glad they're as surprised as we are, and I can't overlook the fact that it was stablished that alicorn wings were supposed to be earned, which means Celestia and Luna aren't natural alicorns, although they said it was something Equestria had never witnessed before, and they're older than Equestria. It's interesting because I'm assuming that concept will be explored later. About the baby, well, it was more of a plot device, but I won't ask as baby to have depth or a personality.

The interesting part about this episode is not that though, it's Starlight and Sunburst. I don't know why I assumed they wouldn't bring them together again, I guess that I just really didn't want that to happen. However, it was done pretty great, and Sunburst ended up being a pretty awesome character, I hope we get to see more of him through all the season. I was also looking forward to Starlight's return, and it didn't disappoint, the only thing I can complain about is her new haircut, seriously, the other one was already fabulous imo. This one makes her look like a mix of Twilight and Rarity, and a little similar to Sunset Shimmer.

Starlight's characterization was just fine, she showed regrets, but they didn't waste time reminding the audience that she was good now, in instead they focused on her insecurities about meeting Sunburst. I expected Twilight to be the one that spent time with her, but it was a pleasant surprise that Spike fulfilled that role, and they made a pretty good duo. Spike should come to the crystal empire more often, that's when he's best written. No wonder he's a hero there and just Twilight's assistant in Ponyville. He did what he does best, being in the supportive role and knowing just what to say to keep the main character focused on the task. I like how he didn't fall for Starlight's manipulation, and I also like how Starlight still showed manipulative traits. I hope we get to see more of her old self in the season, like when she acts tough and shuts everyone up.

Sunburst was good as well, his new design is pretty cool, his voice is also fits him pretty well and he's likable. He and Starlight made a perfect team because he was the one with the knowledge, and Starlight the one with the ability. Everytime Sunburst taught her something she ended up doing it better. Had they stayed together, they probably would be important magicians. Both had a hard time being apart because he wasn't able to do anything with his knowledge, and Starlight had the ability but not anyone to guide her, and also her trauma. In the end he ended up in a role in which he's able to use his knowledge, and Starlight has someone to guide her so she can make good use of her talent. The moment when they just let it all out and tell each other how little they achieved apart was really touching, I could feel how liberating it was for them. They probably won't be the best friends like they were before, but now that they're in good terms they can finally move on with their lives. It's not the end of their friendship, but a good end to their childhood story.

Also, some good little things: Celestia and Luna actually being useful, more screen time for Shining Armor, who had pretty funny moments, some of Suburst's lines like "you traveled through time?" or "did a baby do this?" were hilarious, the possible implicaion that we will learn more about alicorns and Celestia and Luna's past, and the parents finally spoke! This season would be the perfect time to have a Sparkle family reunion episode. Also, the soundtrack in the end of both episodes was pretty cool.

It's pretty hard to give grades to this kind of episodes, I think I give 10/10s really easily, or it might be just the writers doing a good job. I see the episode as a whole and find it hard to take points because of little details, so I'll just say it was an awesome episode. Haber hasn't dissapointed me yet, and with Amy and Larson gone he's my favorite writer now. Let's see what the rest have to offer.

• Brohoof 2

Speaking of the birth, you were right - they didn't show Cadence pregnant. I thought the birth would be the main point of the opener and would happen in pt 2, meaning Cadence would be showing in pt. 1; but it was pretty much done with by the time the episode started. You would think in this day and age it would be no big deal, but I guess MLP is marketed to countries where showing someone pregnant is forbidden.

Yup.  I knew it.  There was just no reason to hope.

But omg, if Turbulence Cardioid was Chrysalis in disguise, man, I'd be sound as a pound.

Heh, for a while in my head fanon(fanon that exists and changes in any given fan's head, regardless of what happens in the show), I as Will Guide had become such a close friend to Spike over the course of Seasons 4 and 5.

Having Starlight becoming a close pal to Spike might be the closest thing to something like my head fanon becoming canon.

Plus, a few months ago, I've read a fan fiction that touches on the idea of Starlight and Spike potentially becoming close friends: "Seventh Wheel" by rosebug.https://www.fimfiction.net/story/310397/seventh-wheel

If the show goes in this direction, I will be so very happy. And if it doesn't, I'll still watch to find out what's going to happen to our heroes.

And it turned that I, like several other viewers, were right in predicting Starlight and Spike becoming good pals. The chemistry between them as Spike gives advice to Starlight in Twilight's absence is amazing; especially when you remember how bad it turned out the last time Spike tried to give advice on behalf of the Princess of Friendship (I'm looking at you, Princess Spike)
  • Brohoof 1

Overall, these episodes were okay. Spike is written well in his supporting role with Starlight and Twilight, and his rapport with Starlight is relatable and entertaining. I still have reservations about "reformed" Starlight, but I did like seeing that her manipulativeness and even some of her under-the-surface anger haven't disappeared entirely. Sunburst seems to be a decent enough character, and it's nice to see him use his knowledge to save the day. It's also nice to see Celestia and Luna play at least somewhat important roles. There are several aspects of the episodes I didn't particularly like, though, including the pointlessness of pushing Starlight and Sunburst to rekindle their friendship (even though it works out in the end), some of the ways Starlight and Sunburst acted toward each other, Flurry Heart's inexplicable superpowers and how she was handled, Shining Armor's cringeworthy antics as a new and tired dad, and the obliviousness, stupidity, and shallowness of the crystal ponies.

First, Twilight's friendship lesson of making Starlight meet with Sunburst and try to dredge up their early childhood friendship seems pointless. Yes, supposedly Starlight's experience of losing touch with Sunburst after he moved away to magic school was the source of Starlight's trauma and her consequent evil actions. But it seems to me that the better lesson would be to teach Starlight to keep bad memories/experiences in check and move on with her life. Not every friend that a person had earlier in life needs to stay friends forever. Some friendships do fall by the wayside as people move, go to new schools or jobs, develop different interests, etc., and that's something that should be learned to be dealt with. But rather than teaching that lesson, having Starlight try to become friends with Sunburst again potentially re-opens (or keeps open) old wounds, may leave Starlight excessively dwelling on the past (which Twilight says Starlight shouldn't do), and may not even work - maybe Starlight and Sunburst just don't have a foundation for a friendship any more, or are not willing or able to put in the work to (re)build and maintain their friendship now.

In light of this, it would make sense that Starlight isn't looking forward to meeting Sunburst, and that she and Sunburst are awkward with each other, not knowing what to say and even wondering why they're talking with each other. Their early childhood friendship was so long ago, and they know so little about each other in the present (since what they did, liked, etc. in childhood will not necessarily be what they do, like, etc. now), that they're little more than strangers at this point.

And that fact makes some of Starlight's and Sunburst's behavior puzzling. In particular, why does Sunburst go along with Starlight's false belief that he's an important powerful wizard? Does Sunburst think that he'll "disappoint" Starlight? Again, they know essentially nothing about each other's lives since childhood, and people can change quite a lot from how they were as children, so Starlight shouldn't be terribly shocked or disappointed if her childhood impression of Sunburst turns out to be not quite accurate. And besides, at that point, Sunburst doesn't even know if he'll be seeing Starlight again anyway - for all he knows, Starlight just happened to be in town. Does Sunburst think that Starlight will spread the story that he's a "failure" to Princess Twilight and beyond, causing him shame and embarrassment, denying him job opportunities, etc.? For one thing, Sunburst doesn't appear to be any kind of catastrophic failure, but also, it would be better to be truthful (and try to spin the story positively) than to try to maintain a falsehood and be found out later.

Starlight's denial of having done anything wrong/unusual/etc., and the way it eventually comes spilling out in an emotional outburst, is also puzzling. When Twilight (and Starlight) knew that this was the lesson that Starlight would try to do, wouldn't they have thought that Starlight would have to plan how to introduce herself, how to explain her past misdeeds, how to explain why she's Princess Twilight's pupil now, etc.? If Starlight is to move forward from her past evil deeds, shouldn't she be able to explain what she did, why her motivating beliefs (e.g., that cutie marks cause suffering) were wrong, why what she did was immoral, and how she will prevent herself from doing such evil deeds again? The fact that Starlight can't seem to do that makes me wonder whether she does truly regret her past evil actions and whether she has truly learned from them. This is a problem that has carried over from last season - her "reformation" was so seemingly quick and painless that it's hard to tell what she learned and what growth she still needs to do.

Regarding Flurry Heart, I didn't especially like her character or how she was handled in these episodes, but hopefully, after this, we won't have to see her much. I didn't particularly like watching other characters fawn over her, but that's probably in part because I don't find her especially cute and I don't really relate to fawning over babies, since I don't think I would really do that myself. It's a bit frustrating that these episodes make a point of showing that Flurry Heart is an alicorn, but offer no explanation or speculation about why that's the case and what the implications of that are. Flurry Heart's supersonic cry also seemed like a cheap way to create a conflict. Has any other pony ever shown an ability to do that? Is there any reason why being an alicorn baby would cause Flurry Heart to have such a power? Also, after everyone knows that Flurry Heart has dangerous magical bursts out of her horn and can teleport to places out of easy reach, why doesn't Cadance or Shining Armor or someone restrain Flurry Heart in an anti-magic bubble or something, rather than chasing her around on foot and leaving her free to destroy things and teleport to who-knows-where? I suppose that it's good that a spell was contrived to "curb her power fluctuations", since they were annoying to watch and it's implausible that Cadance and Shining Armor would continue to live with Flurry Heart doing them.

Now for the rest of my random observations, in order as they appeared in the episodes:

Is Twilight's castle a public building? In that case, maybe she should label the rooms, have signage, and/or make maps of the castle so that the public doesn't get lost. Or, if Twilight's castle is like her private home, then we would think that Twilight would give good enough directions for Starlight to find her way to the library to meet her. And when Starlight asks which way the throne room is, I hope Twilight is sighing and rolling her eyes out of sympathy for having to learn the castle's layout as she once did, rather than because she's annoyed with Starlight or expects Starlight to know better.

So, according to Spike, this whole crystalling ceremony was undertaken for every newborn child? How big was The Crystal Empire supposed to have been? Were crystalling ceremonies being performed multiple times a day, every day? I guess being a crystaller might really have been a full-time job. Also, how many ponies need to "share the light and joy they feel" to have a successful crystalling? What if there's a newborn for whom there just aren't any other family or friends who care about him/her?

At the end of his description of crystalling, Spike says that a royal crystalling hasn't occurred in "a millenia".

In comparison with Starlight's imagining that Sunburst is "probably some big important wizard now", she says that she can't even find her way around Twilight's castle. But what does that have to do with anything? How is being able to find her way around Twilight's castle (a.k.a. memorizing its layout) any indication of her potential or her accomplishments, especially when she's new to the castle and there doesn't seem to be any quick way of learning her way around?

When Twilight shouts for Spike to come quick as she's out on the balcony to receive the "snowflake-gram", how did Twilight know that that was coming at that particular moment? What would have happened if Twilight weren't there at that moment to receive it?

Applejack says that "anypony related to Twilight is practically family", even as Flurry Heart would be three steps removed from the Apple family, being their friend's brother's daughter.

Is there anything about Rainbow Dash's Cloudsdale mobile that would identify it as being from Cloudsdale specifically? The clouds, rainbows, and lightning bolts on it seem pretty generic.

Twilight's telling Shining Armor "I don't know what I was thinking! You two probably need all kinds of help!" strikes me as a bit patronizing, similar to how Twilight was acting toward Pinkie in the episode "Baby Cakes".

After Shining Armor warns Twilight that seeing the baby might be a bit of a shock, why wouldn't Twilight say something curious like "Oh really? Why is that?" rather than blithely and pretentiously dismissing the warning just to be "humorously" (i.e., annoyingly) proven wrong?

I don't know why Pinkie is so excited about Flurry Heart being a super-strong flyer and having crazy baby magic. Hasn't Pinkie experienced firsthand how much of a hassle that can be?

After Spike tells his story about how he "saved" The Crystal Empire, he pulls out Twilight's checklist and several items are already checked off. But what steps have Starlight and Spike completed at that point? They haven't even completed step 1, which Twilight described earlier as "head to Sunburst's house and get you two started on the right hoof", although there might be sub-steps or something like that on the giant scroll.

If Rarity knows the differences between the potential crystals of purity, why doesn't she describe them, rather than playing this game of seeing whether a tired and not-all-there Shining Armor can tell them apart?

Why do the crystal ponies live in such a hazardous location, where The Crystal Empire is constantly in danger of being buried in ice and snow, which are only held back by The Crystal Heart? Are there especially valuable resources nearby, or some other reason which makes living there worth the risk?

Luna says that "this far north, the weather has a will of its own". Oh, the horror! Weather that isn't intentionally created and controlled!

When Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Fluttershy are tasked with telling the crowd outside to get somewhere warm, why can't they just say something like "Due to a weather emergency, the crystalling has been postponed until further notice. By order of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, you are to return to your homes"? Does The Crystal Empire have the equivalent of declaring a "snow emergency"? We might think that, with the ever-present threat of wild weather, The Crystal Empire would have some emergency plan in case the weather gets through or The Crystal Heart somehow fails to keep it out.

Finally, it doesn't seem like a good idea to name Flurry Heart after the disaster she nearly caused shortly after being born. Remember, she'll be carrying that name - and having to explain it to others - for the rest of her life.

• Brohoof 3

I'm kind of expecting some sort of age development to her along the next couple seasons.

Oh gosh! Can you imagine if she grew up to the CMC's age and got her cutie mark? That would be...well, really interesting. Personally speaking, I'm pessimistic about them addressing aging in the show. This is something very few shows ever do and it would be awkward if they aged only some characters and not others. I mean, I wish they did do it because I sooo want teen CMC episodes.  :squee:

Wait, Starlight can't find her way around the castle, needing directions to the throne room, despite being able to find her way to said throne room in The Cutie Re-Mark. Did Josh just have a continuity brainfart? Dude, you WROTE that two parter, as well as this one.

• Brohoof 2

love the start of season 6 so far, so it seem some unicorn have to earn their wings! does that means earth ponies and  Pegasus are able to come alicorns?

hey do you think Starlight Glimmer will be elememt of Hope?!

Upon a second viewing thanks to iTunes I have to repeat my earlier observation; this was a pretty darn good episode. Again, the highlight of the episode is easily Starlight, Sunburst, and Spike; but I loves the scenes with the baby.

Which, for me, is something. Baby scenes tend to annoy me, but Flurry Heart...well, is likeable and adorable. Not an easy combo. ;)

But yeah; awesome ep. :)

Wait, Starlight can't find her way around the castle, needing directions to the throne room, despite being able to find her way to said throne room in The Cutie Re-Mark. Did Josh just have a continuity brainfart? Dude, you WROTE that two parter, as well as this one.

I love the idea of a behind the scenes of the last season with her planning out her evil monologue while trying to find the room.  and cursing:

"why does every door look the same!"

• Brohoof 5

Good point, I hadn't noticed that.

It's possible, though, that Starlight found her way to the throne room in "The Cutie Re-Mark" by randomly opening doors until she found the right one, or even by spying on how Twilight or someone else got there, without bothering to pay attention to how exactly to get there in the future. Or even if Starlight knows how to get to the throne room from, say, the castle entrance, that wouldn't necessarily translate to knowing how to get there from any other room in the castle. If Starlight doesn't know how she got to the library, then she might not know where the throne room is in relation to the library.

• Brohoof 3

Is it just me or were the Mane 6 a little bland in this episode? Personally, I think that Starlight and Sunburst were the highlight of this episode. I still don't like the new Starlight very much, but this could change in later episodes. I also think Starlight and Sunburst would look really cute together as a couple.

• Brohoof 2

I love the idea of a behind the scenes of the last season with her planning out her evil monologue while trying to find the room.  and cursing:

Haha that sound like a hilarous story idea :D comedy, maybe i'll try and make it

Edited by BlinkZ
  • Brohoof 1

Is it just me or were the Mane 6 a little bland in this episode? Personally, I think that Starlight and Sunburst were the highlight of this episode. I still don't like the new Starlight very much, but this could change in later episodes. I also think Starlight and Sunburst would look really cute together as a couple.

It was not just you. Personally, I'm treating the reformed Starlight as a blank slate for now. I'm still not sure what to make of her, and we still don't know what her role is going to be going forward except that it's probably going to be fairly prominent. However, after seeing her interactions with Sunburst, I think she at least has potential as a character as I too am waiting to see what is done with her. And yeah, the Starlight/Sunburst side of the episode was way more engaging for me. Part of that could be that Twilight and the others spent most of the two parter either trying to subdue an OP baby and find a book to solve their problem, or trying to convince a crowd to go home. Those parts were so-so, but there's very little in there that we hadn't seen before, and even less opportunity for any of the characters to really shine, unlike with Starlight and Sunburst.
  • Brohoof 1

It was not just you. Personally, I'm treating the reformed Starlight as a blank slate for now.

That's pretty fair, because she is likely a blank slate to herself.

Her identity was tied up in her power, secrecy hurt and bitterness, but this was stripped away by the mane 6 during "cutie markless"

Then, she kept the bitterness and added additional hurt and anger and revenge to her identity, which boiled over in "the cutie-remark".

Much of that was swept away, and a lot of the hurt was finally addressed at the prospect of having friends that didn't have to be controlled or weren't going to run away.

What's left when you go through all that?

the base layer probably still has some of that hurt from Sunburst leaving her (but that was healed someone in season 6!), but the surface is more stuff like inadequacy and confusion.

Inadequacy will probably go away as she regains her confidence, and confusion isn't the basis for a new identity, but a stepping stone to a new one.

We haven't seen enough of the new Starlight to see where she lands.  Her head must be reeling!

We also know that she has shown great confidence in the past, or she wouldn't have attracted a following.  

I'm looking forward to seeing a new Starlight with her old confidence, but a positive purpose.  I hope the writers deliver on that.  

---

Identity is a super tricky thing.

In the past, I've had an identity of being poor, but my finances improved relative to those around me when I moved, and it broke my worldview.  My next identity was based on hatred of the new place I lived, and of the the people who were enthusiastic about living there, but this too was broken down once I started to enjoy it.  I was 26 before I finally developed a positive identity, and one that wouldn't be destroyed just because my life changed.  

Edited by weesh
  • Brohoof 3

You...I love you so much right now XD

hqdefault.jpg

• Brohoof 2

You...I love you so much right now XD

i like thin mints.

but it is pretty funny that Spike's bathroom has the same shape color and size as the throne room.  

I guess when the architecture is done by magic, the architectural sensibilities may be a bit off.

• Brohoof 1

That's pretty fair, because she is likely a blank slate to herself.

Her identity was tied up in her power, secrecy hurt and bitterness, but this was stripped away by the mane 6 during "cutie markless"

Then, she kept the bitterness and added additional hurt and anger and revenge to her identity, which boiled over in "the cutie-remark".

Much of that was swept away, and a lot of the hurt was finally addressed at the prospect of having friends that didn't have to be controlled or weren't going to run away.

What's left when you go through all that?

the base layer probably still has some of that hurt from Sunburst leaving her (but that was healed someone in season 6!), but the surface is more stuff like inadequacy and confusion.

Inadequacy will probably go away as she regains her confidence, and confusion isn't the basis for a new identity, but a stepping stone to a new one.

We haven't seen enough of the new Starlight to see where she lands.  Her head must be reeling!

We also know that she has shown great confidence in the past, or she wouldn't have attracted a following.  

I'm looking forward to seeing a new Starlight with her old confidence, but a positive purpose.  I hope the writers deliver on that.  

---

Identity is a super tricky thing.

In the past, I've had an identity of being poor, but my finances improved relative to those around me when I moved, and it broke my identity.  My next identity was based on hatred of where I lived, and of the the people who liked living there, but this too was broken down once I started to enjoy it.  I was 26 before I finally developed a positive identity, and one that wouldn't be destroyed just because my life changed.

What an astute observation, and an eloquently stated and comprehensive analysis of her psyche. At this point it's uncertain whether something good will come out of Starlight's inclusion in the mane cast or if she does end up being the Mary Sue everyone seems to fear she will be, but that all comes down to the writers and how they develop her going forward, and so far it seems plausible that they can pull it off. Everyone was just as skeptical about Sunset Shimmer, and now she's one of the most popular supporting characters. Of course, I hope Starlight will be her own character and not a placeholder for Sunset, but if the writers can turn a hastily reformed villain into a popular lead character in the EQG series, then they can do it again. We can expect some growing pains with Starlight's character as she's both developed and a suitable role in the series is found for her. If there's a season 7 then maybe she will be more accepted by that point, and not command any more of the spotlight than the rest of the mane cast as she will just be another character (and maybe or maybe not part of a mane seven).

What an astute observation, and an eloquently stated and comprehensive analysis of her psyche. At this point it's uncertain whether something good will come out of Starlight's inclusion in the mane cast or if she does end up being the Mary Sue everyone seems to fear she will be, but that all comes down to the writers and how they develop her going forward, and so far it seems plausible that they can pull it off. Everyone was just as skeptical about Sunset Shimmer, and now she's one of the most popular supporting characters. Of course, I hope Starlight will be her own character...We can expect some growing pains with Starlight's character as she's both developed and a suitable role in the series is found for her...

It kinda makes me sad when people jump to mary sue this quickly (and I too have seen it thrown around a bit recently).

Season 6 gave us a great start, and it seems far too early to make character judgements. She could be developed in 100 different ways right now that would all be interesting, but we haven't given the authors the time to actually show us where they are going. Yes, there are many ways the writers could ruin the story with her, but I don't feel the need to complain now until it is clear that they have.

We had seasons of the relationship stories being driven by Twilight, by the full cast, by the map room...

Would a season of stories (similar in number to the number of map room stories last season, so not that many) driven by Starlight really be so bad?

they could make Starlight the focal point of many fine episodes, and then send her on her way in the same way that Twilight was in the very first episode. Does anyone really think she'll live in the castle forever? Part of maturing is that after you have learned, you strike out on your own. Twilight never would have blossomed without being kicked out of her comfort zone.

I am optimistic about this season, and quite willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by weesh

I think this premier was definitely not as strong as the last one (though season 5, to be fair, would be difficult to usurp). I also thought... Sunburst? Was that his name? I felt Sunburst was a relatively boring character. While I would wait for more development to pass any final judgment on him, it was very difficult for me to pay attention to the Starlight/Sunburst subplot, and for the first episode of a season, this might be more of an issue. But I don't know, maybe I'm alone on this.

Apart from that though, the whole episode was very entertaining, especially when everyone begged Spike to tell his war stories. Spike in general was very good in this episode, and that is a glorious sign of progression for the writers. The part with the exploding crystal heart was also hilarious.

Worst. Premiere. Ever.

It was like they took stand alone episodes, and (very) awkwardly mashed them together to make a premiere that doesn't know what it's about or decide on a tone :confused:

Also, points lost for no villain :okiedokielokie:

HOWEVER, I'll give it points for making the best use of Spike in years, and having Celestia at least try to make herself useful.

• Brohoof 1