315 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• I hated it!
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was...meh.
    • I liked it pretty well.
    • THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

Also, points lost for no villain :okiedokielokie:

is that why you watch MLP?  because most of the episodes don't have villains, and i'd call that sort of fight outside the core of the show.

is that why you watch MLP?  because most of the episodes don't have villains, and i'd call that sort of fight outside the core of the show.

It's just that I'm so used to them in the premieres and finales it feels weird not to have one this time. (though it would be nice if they showed just a little more often)

There's this one massive plot hole that really bugs me in this episode.

The only living pony known to perform a time-travelling spell was there all along. Why didn't they use Starlight's abilities to save the Crystal Heart? Or AT LEAST go back in time and prevent the spell book from having a huge hole burned in it? That would have been, like... what? A 5-minute long stroll back in time? What was the point of having Twilight trying to re-write the spell from memory?

I expected Starlight to facehoof and run to save the day when Starburst said "Did you really travel through time?"

If you pay attention to the flashbacks at the start of the episode, you'll notice something interesting. Sunburst kept helping Starlight learn how to do magic, but then Starlight kept doing it better than him. Sunburst levitates up a book, then Starlight levitates 4 blocks and twirls them around with ease. Sunburst cleans up a single spill, but then Starlight cleans the whole kitchen herself once shown. 

I noticed that, too!
Yet it was Sunburst who got admitted to the School for Gifted Unicorns... I guess a little bit of jealousy on Starlight's side was one of the reasons they lost touch back then.

I do see a theme in this episode that could carry on through the season - magic students that ran off the rails, and how they get their self-respect/abilities back.  We know Sunburst could do magic before, that has been amply demonstrated.  And we know that Starlight Glimmer has powerful magic at her disposal, she just needs to get her priorities straight and apply her ability in a positive way.  

PLEASE, LET THIS BE A THING!

Holy crap, how did I miss that?!  Every time they showed Starlight, I kept staring at her forelock.  My eyes were drawn to it, and yet I still didn't realize it was different.  I always miss stuff like that.  But you're right, her bangs were way better.

It irked me that the forelock kept jumping from one side of her horn to the other.
Come on guys, if you change the character's design, at least be consistent with the new one! >:v

• Brohoof 1

The only living pony known to perform a time-travelling spell was there all along. Why didn't they use Starlight's abilities to save the Crystal Heart? Or AT LEAST go back in time and prevent the spell book from having a huge hole burned in it? That would have been, like... what? A 5-minute long stroll back in time? What was the point of having Twilight trying to re-write the spell from memory?

I would assume, that even if they had thought of this, they likely wouldn't have wanted to do it. After seeing the effects of Starlight's last travel through time, they'd probably want to be pretty cautious about it, even if it is a different context. If Starlight goes back and saves the Crystal Heart herself, who knows what weird effects that could have? Even a minor change could ripple out and cause some bad stuff.

I noticed that, too! Yet it was Sunburst who got admitted to the School for Gifted Unicorns... I guess a little bit of jealousy on Starlight's side was one of the reasons they lost touch back then.

Well, when he was enrolled it was right after getting a Cutie Mark in magic, while Starlight was still a blank flank. She didn't seem very jealous, but it could be one reason. I actually am curious as to the exact reason they didn't send letters to each other.

• Brohoof 3

I would assume, that even if they had thought of this, they likely wouldn't have wanted to do it. After seeing the effects of Starlight's last travel through time, they'd probably want to be pretty cautious about it, even if it is a different context. If Starlight goes back and saves the Crystal Heart herself, who knows what weird effects that could have? Even a minor change could ripple out and cause some bad stuff.

I guess you're right... 

But still, why won't Starlight at least TRY to use her wicked magic skills to do good? I'd like to see her magic prowess save the day at some point. That would add just a little more depth to her rushed reformation...

I actually am curious as to the exact reason they didn't send letters to each other.

Me too! Jealousy could have been one of them, as well as a I'm not good enough for him mindset. So many possibilities...

• Brohoof 3

But still, why won't Starlight at least TRY to use her wicked magic skills to do good? I'd like to see her magic prowess save the day at some point. That would add just a little more depth to her rushed reformation...

Well, this was only one episode, I assume she'll be in at least a few more over the season, so hopefully we will get to see this. Just likely not something to do with Time travel again.

Me too! Jealousy could have been one of them, as well as a I'm not good enough for him mindset. So many possibilities...

I'd imagine it was a mix of a lot of things, on both ends. Sunburst probably started to get stressed, and he maybe didn't want to lie to Starlight about how he was doing, but didn't want to admit the truth to her that he was failing (Even though he eventually did lie.). Maybe he realized he kind of suddenly just "Abandoned" his friend, even if unintentionally, and was too worried about how she'd react.

• Brohoof 1

Everypony who complains about the Crystal Empire citizens just hanging out while impending weathery doom is rolling in....

...does not remember the citizens of the Jersey shore during Hurricane Sandy.

I wonder if this was a conscious parallel or just me. 

• Brohoof 1

And it turned that I, like several other viewers, were right in predicting Starlight and Spike becoming good pals. The chemistry between them as Spike gives advice to Starlight in Twilight's absence is amazing; especially when you remember how bad it turned out the last time Spike tried to give advice on behalf of the Princess of Friendship (I'm looking at you, Princess Spike)

all the advice he gave didn't cause problems. It whas when he started letting it go to his head, and treating himself to luxuries in the name of the Princess where things went south

And THAT wasn't even his fault. It was Cadance who planted the seed in his head, in the first place

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 2

These were an awesome way to open the season! Originally I didn't like Flurry Heart but now I think she's absolutely adorable. It was also awesome to see Luna and Celestia actually doing something. And needless to say Starlight's new mane is adorable.

Edited by Rarity Is Best Pony
  • Brohoof 3

I thought it was "meh".

I was pretty upset when Celestia and Luna said that they weren't natural alicorns. It would've been less upsetting had they put some kind of backstory with it, bu they obviously didn't :P I'm hoping Hasbro is waiting until later episodes to explain that now.

Baby Flurry Heart.. I don't really like her :/ Right now I'm getting the impression that she's just another sparkly Alicorn toy to be sold. And I'm wondering, will she age, or just stay a baby like Pumkin cake and Pound cake?

although I did really like the chemistry between Spike and Starlight. I hope they are portrayed as close friends in later episodes :3 The beginning where the mane 6 laughed at Spike for being a hero ticked me off -.- He really did save the Crystal Empire, twice, and they were being jerks about it. Seriously?

I have to say I loved the Starlight and Sunburst ship. It is really adorable x3

Okay, Pinkies parents have talked, Raritys parents have too, and now Twilights. Mmm, Fluttershy's next?

Id rate this one about a 5. It was a bit of a mess. Also, DID anyone else catch the changing at the end??!? I did!

Edited by CarolBaby
  • Brohoof 1

It's just that I'm so used to them in the premieres and finales it feels weird not to have one this time. (though it would be nice if they showed just a little more often)

I'm good with no villain, but also, there was no song.  Not many people seemed to miss that either. 

We have assumptions.  They aren't always right.  But overall, I thought it was a good episode, somewhere between "I liked it pretty well" and "THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME."  In fact, I was stuck for awhile over which of those to choose.  Eventually I went with the latter, as getting a Pony fix made it so - I was having serious withdrawals!

• Brohoof 1

Did anyone find this episode a little bit... Underwhelming? Like, no songs, action, anything? I dare one of you to summarize it in 3 sentences. Sorry S6, you may have driven me away.

But besides that, ALL HAIL THE DOUBLE-MUSTACHE MAN. MAY YE GRACE OUR EPISODES IN THE FUTURE.

What do we dub Double-Stach? Just Double-Stach? Maybe Muss Stallion?

• Brohoof 2

I didn't like Starlight before this episode but now she is probably one of the most interesting characters so far (Only the premiere I know :P )

I like how well Spike and Starlight go together too, I hope they pair them up more throughout the season.

I didn't care at all about Flurry Heart or the rest of the episode to be honest, kind of underwhelming. I only really cared about Starlight and Sunburst.

Edited by Vennax

I dare one of you to summarize it in 3 sentences.

1. Cadence and Shining Armor have an alicorn foal with a voice that can shatter castle walls and a crystal heart.

2.  Starlight faces one of her worst fears and rekindles her first friendship.

3.  The Crystal Empire faces a major catastrophe which is averted by the combined efforts of 4 Princesses, a would-be wizard and their Pony friends.

That do it for you?

• Brohoof 3

I expected Starlight to facehoof and run to save the day when Starburst said "Did you really travel through time?"

That's an interesting point I hadn't considered! However, there seemed to be something about the time-traveling spell such that it required the physical scroll it was written on in order to work. Back in "The Cutie Re-Mark", Twilight had to desperately talk down Starlight before she ripped the scroll in half, which, according to Starlight, would have prevented Twilight from traveling back in time and stopping Starlight from stopping Rainbow Dash's rainboom. And while the scroll wasn't destroyed by Starlight, once everything was set right, the scroll was sucked into the time portal, presumably never to be seen again.

So it's not clear if or how Starlight could travel back in time again. Could Starlight just write the time-traveling spell on a new scroll and have it work? Would the original "inventor" of the spell - in this case, Star Swirl - need to write it down for it to work, in which case, with Star Swirl not present and the original scroll gone, time travel by Starlight's method is effectively not possible? The mechanics of how Starlight's time-traveling spell actually worked haven't really been explained.

@ also makes a good point that, even if they could travel back in time, they still may not want to risk other unintended alterations to the timeline, with whatever echo effects those would have.

I guess you're right... 

To be fair, Starlight did use her magic to help save the day, though in ensemble with Celestia, Luna, Twilight, and the others. Sunburst tasked Starlight specifically with casting Somnambula's Weather Abjuration to clear away the snow. We don't know how much magical skill was required to cast that spell - that is, whether Starlight's level of magical skill was necessary or whether she was just a nearby unicorn who was available - but she did at least play a part in doing good and saving the day. I agree, though, that it would be nice to be Starlight unambiguously using her "wicked magic skills" for good.

• Brohoof 3

The problem with time travel episodes is that they undermine everything you do from then on.

You force the writers to pretend it never happened or to take it into account forever.  

I'd prefer that they never use time travel, but that ship has sailed.

To maintain your sanity, I'd suggest pretending time travel doesn't exist.

• Brohoof 1

"meh".......

anyway..

who the hell is this pony? a brony pony?

sig-4443051.2m61p48.png

He's a pin collector, like the ones who go to Disney World and buy like crazy, trade with guests and Cast Members, and wear them on vests that signify every event they go to, attraction ride, etc. As a Disney fan that gave me a hoot. 

• Brohoof 6

How is it that magic, in this series, has devolved into shooting unexplained laser beams out of a unicorn horn? There was way too much of that in this episode, and it's pretty easy to get lost.

61200996.jpg

Edited by MontagnaMagica
  • Brohoof 2

How is it that magic, in this series, has devolved into shooting unexplained laser beams out of a unicorn horn? There was way too much of that in this episode, and it's pretty easy to get lost.

that would be nice.

at least there was variety in the effects.

you had netralizing blasts, repairing blasts, a blessing blast, etc

Well, Twilight can travel through time as well, but only a week, apparently.  Although, that would have been more than enough in this case.  But the reason they didn't is because time travel is not to be taken lightly.  In fact, time travel is so dangerous, I'd argue that it shouldn't be considered under any circumstances, period, unless the universe is going to implode and every living thing is doomed anyway.  As Twilight and Starlight saw firsthoof, and as any self-respecting sci-fi buff already knows, going back in time and killing one ant can result in massive, apocalyptic consequences.  It's entirely possible that attempting to change events in the past would result in something even worse happening, until you find yourself fighting to keep the very fabric of the universe from unraveling.  Some time travel events result in a stable loop, like It's About Time, but it's still so dangerous.  Time travel spells are like nukes; yeah they're a thing, but they should basically never be used under any circumstances.

Besides, preventing the destruction of the heart would only dodge the main issue, which was damping the little one's out of control power surges.  Sunburst figured out how to achieve this, a feat that wouldn't have happened without the heart's de/re-construction.  See what I'm saying?  Screwing with the timeline messes everything up.

It irked me that the forelock kept jumping from one side of her horn to the other.

Come on guys, if you change the character's design, at least be consistent with the new one! >:v

I noticed that as well.  It's annoying, but I'm almost 100% certain that Rarity's mane does the same thing.

The problem with time travel episodes is that they undermine everything you do from then on.

You force the writers to pretend it never happened or to take it into account forever.  

I'd prefer that they never use time travel, but that ship has sailed.

To maintain your sanity, I'd suggest pretending time travel doesn't exist.

That is a thing as well.  My explanation more or less allows you to keep time travel in the canon, but have a logical reason why they don't use it.  Still, your point is valid, for sure.  It's the problem with every single instance of time travel, ever, in any story.  Why didn't the Borg in First Contact just TRY AGAIN?  They did it once, why stop there?  Why not send more back in time to stop the Enterprise from stopping you?  Just cuz.  That's why.

• Brohoof 2

Sigh, looks like I won’t be needing all these pitchforks and torches for this episode. Better store them back into the shack. Rest easy my sweetlings, there’s always next week. Well, if nothing else, it was one of the best Spike episodes to date. The rest wasn’t bad, though the baby stuff has been kinda predicted and it truly was every bit as annoying as some thought it would be.

To sum up all the important stuff:

-So Celestia and Luna weren’t born alicorns? Well that’s one way to solve your alicorn lore and retcon your own merchandise.

-Powerful evil arctic storm >>alicorns

-There was that one flying evil smudge at the end of it all that is quite possibly in dire need of friendship or time in Tartarus

-Sombra was a cowardly weakling who preferred to hide the Heart instead of destroying it just to keep said storm away from him. Poor guy never stood a chance, huh.

-Alicorn Cry 1RW instant: tap target alicorn, destroy target artifact or enchantment

-Spike best assistant confirmed

-Starlight Shimmer confirmed [OShabber]

-Sunburst good OC confirmed

-Mane 5 useless thrash confirmed [kappa]

-Twilight’s parents, they speak!

P.S: Do you think Party City does Europe?  I wanna Super Power myself!

i caught that Magic The Gathering joke, hehe xD i love your chibi Baphomet picture btw :3

sig-4443440.61200996.jpg

maybe they all got the Searing Light spell from D&D/PathfinderRPG

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/searing-light

Searing Light

School evocationLevel cleric/oracle 3, inquisitor 3; Domainglory 3, sun 3

CASTING

Casting Time 1 standard action

Components V, S

EFFECT

Range medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)

Effect ray

Duration instantaneous

Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance yes

DESCRIPTION

Focusing divine power like a ray of the sun, you project a blast of light from your open palm. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to strike your target.

A creature struck by this ray of light takes 1d8 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d8).

An undead creature takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d6), and an undead creature particularlyvulnerable to bright light takes 1d8 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d8).

construct or inanimate object takes only 1d6 points of damage per two caster levels (maximum 5d6).