315 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• I hated it!
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was...meh.
    • I liked it pretty well.
    • THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned...

What I'm getting at is that everyone's heard that "normal" babies kick during pregnancy...

Based on what we've seen of the not-so-normal baby, It's probably SHEER LUCK that Spike's question wasn't answered during Cadence's pregnancy... :lol:

post-24370-0-70640500-1459392338_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cirrus.
  • Brohoof 6

I like how well Spike and Starlight go together too, I hope they pair them up more throughout the season.

I hope so too. I suspect Starlight will get her own episodes too and she works well with Spike so I'm all for it. We might even get a good Spike episode this season. I've usually been disappointed by previous Spike episodes (minus one or two) but he was so solid in this opener that I have renewed hope. I have to join others in saying those two were my true interest in the opener.  :wub:

• Brohoof 2

Btw, anyone noticed Sunbust looks a little like a male, bearded Sunset Simmer? Exact mane and hide color and all? Maybe he's her brother!

I've always thought he was similar to Sunset Shimmer in a lot of ways. Along with the similar colors, they also have similar names. They were both students of Princess Celestia and have an easier time reading about magic than actually understanding magic on it's own and are outclassed in magic by their other unicorn friend.

• Brohoof 3

I've always thought he was similar to Sunset Shimmer in a lot of ways. Along with the similar colors, they also have similar names. They were both students of Princess Celestia and have an easier time reading about magic than actually understanding magic on it's own and are outclassed in magic by their other unicorn friend.

Even so, the end of Friendship Games hinted Sunset might make a return visit to Equestria at some point. Honestly, we need that as an episode this season. The EG films feel completely separate from the FIM series it's supposed to be in-cannon with. Heck, Sunset is never even MENTIONED on the main series for some reason!

What if Sunburst is Hasbro's way of sort of putting in Sunset into the show? Look at it this way:

They said that EG would not affect MLP: FiM at all.

Sunburst is very very similar to her, and may have the same friendship problems in future episodes already.

Some people have not seen EG or they hate it, so they would have to start her story over (which would be confusing for many) or just continue her story in Equestrian (confusing for people who don't watch Equestrian Girls).

On the other hoof, since when do they care if a group hates their ideas? Twilicorn got a preapproval rating that says otherwise.

What if Sunburst is Hasbro's way of sort of putting in Sunset into the show? Look at it this way:

They said that EG would not affect MLP: FiM at all.

Sunburst is very very similar to her, and may have the same friendship problems in future episodes already.

Some people have not seen EG or they hate it, so they would have to start her story over (which would be confusing for many) or just continue her story in Equestrian (confusing for people who don't watch Equestrian Girls).

On the other hoof, since when do they care if a group hates their ideas? Twilicorn got a preapproval rating that says otherwise.

Uhhh, wasn't that the reason for Starlight becoming Twilight's student? So that Celestia forbid the show ever mentions Sunset outside the EG movies? And need we also forget the walking intentional pseudo-shipper-bait that is Flash Sentry?

Edited by MovieLord101

Well, this was certainly an adventure, one I still have a few mixed feelings about even after multiple viewings. First of all, I stopped being a fan of Starlight Glimmer after The Cutie Re-Mark after they completely stripped away everything I grew to love about her during The Cutie Map. But I suppose my biggest gripe about her is that she seems to be completely forgiven for what she did; she didn't have to earn it like Sunset Shimmer or even Luna did. Sure, she seems to be wracked with guilt and a bit of self-loathing, but they did too. A few lines and a musical montage seems to be a hollow victory when compared to the journeys of catharsis that Sunset Shimmer and Luna went through.

However, it is worth noting that Starlight's task to rekindling her friendship with Sunburst wasn't as easy as we all thought it would be. I liked the fact that he was a bit resistant to it due to his introverted tendencies and the bit of shame that he wasn't able to live up to the expectations that he put upon himself. I also liked the fact that he wasn't turned into some kind of all-powerful mage since his introductory flashback showed that he had clear magical limitations. Levitating and organizing a stack of books is indeed impressive for a colt, but by no means is it "grand mage" status.

I felt that their growth was handled very well, and shockingly enough; so was Spike's involvement in the matter. He didn't devolve into the usual over-ego bullshit that he's been through in the past. In fact, Starlight even actively tried to tweak his ego but he was resistant and only delved into it a bit to sate the crowd of Crystal Ponies that grew around him. He even called out Starlight's blatant attempt to put off meeting Sunburst, but did it in a caring way. This is the Spike we grew to love and it's great to see him back. I only hope that he stays this way.

Now for the baby. Ah, yes... the baby. Well, I gotta say, Flurry Heart's presence wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. Like a lot of people, I was afraid that this was gonna be some God-forsaken "Fairly Odd Baby" rehash, but I'm glad that it went in a different direction. Yes, Flurry Heart is incredibly powerful and out of control, but they actually took steps to tone that down for the future by having Sunburst bind her powers so there would be clear limitations. I was irked when she shattered the Crystal Heart, but at least it was able to be fixed in the end.

Like everyone else, I was a bit tweaked about Celestia's controversial line that threw all of our Alicorn headcanons into disarray. However, it doesn't really bother me anymore because there's a solution that comfortably ties everything together. Of course Flurry Heart would be the first Alicorn newborn that Equestria has seen because Cadance is the first one of them to actually breed. Think about it, if Celestia and Luna had foals running around out there, I would think that we, or at least Twilight would've heard of them before. Even though their numbers are steadily increasing, new Alicorns are still something that one does not see every day. Even though the knowledge of Celestia's sister fell out of public consciousness during her banishment, one would think that her daughter ((or son, as unlikely the case may be)) would be recognized. While it still leaves a few loose threads about Celestia's and Luna's apparent lack of knowledge of their own birth; it still seems to me that they were more perplexed about an Alicorn breeding. They, the mane six and even we as the audience expected the baby to be a normal pony. Even though the Alicorn genetic trait seems to be dominant, it would still make sense that they had no knowledge of it if Cadance is indeed the first one of them to breed.

All in all, I really enjoyed these episodes. True, it was clunky in places, but it also shined in a lot of others. I look forward to what the rest of season six has to offer.

Edited by Prince Firemane
  • Brohoof 4

Just as I was afraid what would happen. They literally destroyed Starlight's character. There is literally none of her there except for the same name. They even pull some bullshit about how she stole Cutie Marks ignoring how the villagers offered her their Cutie Marks. I can't believe they took out the biggest chunk and that had the most story telling potential just to make her appealing.

Honestly this new Starlit might as well be a new character.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Just as I was afraid what would happen. They literally destroyed Starlight's character. 

I sorta agree with you, from a different angle.

They brought her down to a place of brokenness and confusion.

I want a new strong Starlight that has all that confidence and power we saw in cutiemarkless, but focused toward something positive.  Basically, the same character with a new vision.

But it wouldn't make sense to go directly from evil to good.  they needed to show the intermediate steps.

I am satisfied with this portrayal of her if they continue to develop the character.  if she stay like this, then yes, she has absolutely been destroyed.

I'm looking forward to seeing her rebirth, and am optimistic and excited about it.  

Edited by weesh
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Sunburst made that episode.

He was interesting, considering how male characters within this show are usually bland. There was some character development within this episode as well, and I think if they bring Sunburst back and build upon what has already been established, he'll be able to grow a bit more.

Starlight? Her change of disposition felt a bit rushed. I was expecting her to be way less communicative with Twilight, but then again, I suppose I don't know how much time has passed between the last episode and this one.

One thing didn't make sense to me; How Rainbow Dash and Applejack refused to tell the ponies that the crystal heart had exploded, and then as soon as Shining stepped up to tell them, they accused the ponies of not listening, when to my knowledge the ponies were never informed of the crystal's demise before Shining had arrived. So it seemed to me that this was purposefully done in order to build tension.

Some characters felt a bit one-dimensional at times, too. But overall I think the episode was pretty good. Some things didn't add up in my opinion, but I enjoyed it.

Edited by Zyphie
  • Brohoof 4

He was interesting, considering how male characters within this show are usually bland. There was some character development within this episode as well, and I think if they bring Sunburst back and build upon what has already been established, he'll be able to grow a bit more.

Agreed.

It is so relatable to see him feeling inadequate and uncomfortable.

But once he's put into his element, he displays some intellectual heroism completely independant of magical ability or physical power.

Plus, I'd love a gig that let me hang out with new babies and parents.

I'm already a fan.

Agreed.

It is so relatable to see him feeling inadequate and uncomfortable.

But once he's put into his element, he displays some intellectual heroism completely independant of magical ability or physical power.

Plus, I'd love a gig that let me hang out with new babies and parents.

I'm already a fan.

I agree!  Sunburst was a nice breath of fresh air as far as a new character goes.  It was really nice to see the dynamic between him and Starlight as they were hiding their pasts from each other.  Made for a good lesson too!!! ;)

The scene's between Spike and Starlight were also very refreshing.  It was nice to see Spike have a bit more of an active role!

• Brohoof 1

It was OK.

Personally I thought it felt a bit hollow once you step back and see the overall plot. There just wasn't that much actually going on. Barely felt like it needed 2 episodes.

I actualy enjoyed the season opener, maybe the main plot(the comming storm) could have more role than the side plot(Starlight and Sunburst), but overall the opener are pretty good in my opininon :)

Good to see the show's back! Starlight gives me vibes of Twilight from Season 1 since she is new to friendship. Spike highlighting the importance of the lesson was very funny humor. Sunburst isn't a jerk anymore. His reunion with Starlight was awkward and they both have things they regret. Cadence's and Shining's filly is cute and surprisingly more detailed than Pound and Pumpkin. Extremely unconventional villain but still cool.

I wouldn't say this is the best season opener, but it's pretty good.

I like that they introduced an interesting male character, and the new alicorn wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

so I was completely ignored in my last thread, so Im going to move it here.

so you guys already know how the crystalling works. I have one question tho, flurry hearts parents are both unicorn ponies. When she was being crystallize they used their magic, if not, their horns glowed like they're casting magic. So does that mean that you should have a unicorn parent to make the crystalling work? also the crystaller, sunburst, also is a unicorn pony.. so the crystaller should also be a unicorn? any pony wants to theorize how the crystalling actually works?

I gotta say I REALLY enjoyed the season opener!! I'm not sure what about the made people so disappointed with it but I was content and pleasantly surprised. First of all, this ep has my three favourite characters in it so that was a bonus already!!

I really liked the whole baby alicorn plot and how they handled it. going in, I was a bit hesitant about flurry heart, ya know op alicon baby with MASSIVE WINGS!! but then again it's the bby of my pony otp of course I'm gonna love her ahaaa~!!

well, then came the crazy powers, which I'm sure many a brony screamed "mary suuuue!!" at, combined with the show effectively trashing thousands of fan theories at once. though I don't think the show did too bad a job at handling plot line a. I mean, ya it felt lack luster at parts, like when rd, aj, and fluttershy were all trying to convince the crystal ponies to leave, thought there wasn't much for them to do, since the main point of that plot line was to GET the characters to the crystal empire and introduce flurry heart. everything else just felt like fluff until starlight glimmer & sunburst could work together to fix the problem.

which brings me to plot line b!! let me start out first by saying I LOOOOOVE starlight!! I know a lot of people are kinda upset about her now, but I think the show nailed her character. at this point, she's on a redemption path of sorts. she's recognized she's made a mistake, and she's working to fix it, but there's still that uncertainty and lingering guilt that's tugging at her. she recognizes she's been given her second chance, and she's trying to make to most of it. I get the impression that she's eager to try and be a better pony, but she's scared to put herself out there. tho that's something the show did kinda touch on with her & sunburst's big reveal.

speaking of those two, I just really love their dynamic??!? where as sunburst has such a vast and eclectic knowledge of magic, he doesn't have the power or talent to pull it off. meanwhile starlight has what I guess you'd call the raw talent and ability to perform the complex spells sunburst shares. I think the show kinda alluded to that in flashback, I can't remember if it was stated outright. but on well~ I hope we see more of those two interacting, they'd make for a veeeery powerful duo.

but ya back to plotline be. goooosh the interactions between the two were so painfully awkward but WOW I totally get it an have been there before. also really liked how the two plotlines tied everything together at the end that was nice, tho expected so I can't really give them brownie points for it. I just wanna see more starlight at this point.

oh yeah and celestia & luna were there. okay (i mean talk about getting shuffled to the side)

oh well, all in all, I think that was a solid first ep.

now I can't wait for more :j

(edited)

I thought Cadance should have at least apologized on behalf of her foal for nearly destroying the crystal empire. I know she didn't intend for it to happen, but I still think she needed to take at least some responsibility. On the other hand, Shining Armor seems way too immature to be a parent...

I'm also not a fan of how fast Starlight has been redeemed. But she did have some good interactions with Spike and I guess Sunburst was okay too.

Also, I'm really not a fan of Flurry Heart being an OP alicorn. I was kinda hoping that Cadance and Shining Armor would have an earth pony foal; that would be funny :P

Edited by SparklingSwirls

I wonder if there's ever going to be more explanation for FH's alicorn status or more explanation of alicorns in general. I'm also a bit thrown off by the comment about having to earn your wings as an alicorn. Does that mean that only unicorns can potentially become alicorns? I thought Cadence was formerly a pegasus....though  I don't know where I heard that, since I don't think it was mentioned on the show, somewhere here probably...was that from the comics? I never read any of them so I wouldn't know about that. What about Luna and Celestia? Were they unicorns or pegasai? Do we know? I wonder if an earth pony has the potential to earn that title and gain both a horn and wings.

Rambling questions aside, I find myself liking Starlight in this episode which is a pleasant surprise. Her guilt and insecurity made her a sympathetic character. Spike was well written too.  I do hope that SG isn't the next alicorn though. I've had enough of them :P.

• Brohoof 1