What did you think?  

315 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• I hated it!
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was...meh.
    • I liked it pretty well.
    • THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

The episode was actually pretty solid in my eyes. Granted I missed a chunk of part 1, but aside from that; awesome. :)

• Brohoof 2

Well that was cheesier than a 5 cheese ziti but I guess to welcome a new royal foal it was going to have to be. I'll be glad to see regular non-epic episodes as we progress.

Okay. The episode was decent. I give it an 80%. It was not amazing, but it was not THAT bad. It did have some flaws in my opinion, but in the end of the episode most of them were fixed. The biggest being the uncontrolled magic of Flurry. Clearly her magic is powerful but it doesn't seem too overpowered, just stronger than an baby Unicorn as they said. What they did with Sunburst and the Crystal Empire was nice. All in all it was decent, with lots of references here and there. 

My only big problem was how Celestia said that she and Luna weren't born as Alicorns. Faust said they were, but since she's not on anymore and they changed it I'm sad to see it not canon anymore. Hopefully we'll see an episode on how they got their wings/cutie marks.

• Brohoof 2

I Loved the characterization and backstory on Sunburst. This episode helped me to like Starlight Glimmer more. Spike had one of his best characterizations in the series, the mane 6, royal couple, and even the Alicorn princesses actually played important roles in the episode.

Still biggest problem with the episode is that many of the conflicts, particularly with the Crystal Empire citizens and the Flurry Heart wrecking stuff without some quick telekinitic spell, felt forced. Still while not as strong as Season 5's premiere or even as good as the finale of Season 5, it's still a pretty strong season premiere. Probably the third best in the series.

What a gift from MLP to me on this birthday :D

Honestly, I'm starting to think Josh Haber will do just fine as the head writer.

• Brohoof 5

I was surprised with how much I liked this episode. This is probably my favorite premiere yet, which says a lot considering how much I was dreading it after McFlurry and Cutie Remark. Sunburst is easily the highlight of the episode, and it did help me warm up Starlight which says a lot considering how much of an outspoken critic I still am about her reforming. I loved Cadance and Armor a lot here, I liked that the royal sisters and the mane 6 got to do more this time around which is a huge plus considering they way they're handled in past two parters is always the biggest problem, Spike was also used really well and TWILIGHT'S PARENTS FINALLY SPOKE

Only thing I didn't like was McFlurry, I'm not really surprised by that. At the very least it looks like her magic will be supressed

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 4

I prefer more epic type he premiers (not that this did not have things to happen) but this was kind of cute. I would like Sunburts to become Starlight's love interest since clearly the main characters are not getting ones but it would be nice to have some different kind of relationship explored.

• Brohoof 1

I really liked how they are incorporating Starlight. If anything it does look like one of the main issues of this season will be Twilight incorporating herself more as a teacher.

• Brohoof 3

Maybe it was my depression hitting me in combination with my laptop AND Ustream being complete pieces of shit, but I thought the premiere was just 'okay'. Maybe if I rewatch it my tone will change, maybe.

The baby is okay, I still don't like her being an ALicorn because that is supposed to be earned as far as we know and Pinkie even points this problem out, but we received no answers on it. Plus I didn't like how they just used her antics to create problems. It didn't feel like there was a real threat. Speaking of which, the whole 'Frozen North will devour the empire' thing seemed kinda stupid. I didn't feel many stakes at all, I felt far more even with Sombra as an enemy. 

At least the baby was better than I thought AND Sunburst is adorable, Starlight, I am not completely sold on her yet but I don't hate her now. They handled her well. Plus we got to see Twilight's parents again and they spoke. Spike was good too and I think him and Starlight will be a have a good friendship. 

So all in all, I think the premiere was okay, which is better than bad and again, I may just need to rewatch it. I look forward to the rest of the season. 

• Brohoof 3

I think this is most appropriate. SPARKLE SPARKLE SPARKLE! 

What I liked:
Spike: Holy cow he wasn't an idiot! He was helpful and in a great supporting role! Way to go!
Shining Armor: Like his sister stressed out crazy Shining is the best!
Sunburst: Yay a male character that can do something! And is not an asshole or moron!
Twilight's parent's: HOLY SHIT THEY TALK!!!

What I didn't like:
The lack of tension: The first half of the story is just about setting up everything for the second part but the whole "snowstorm to destroy Equestria" felt very underwhelming.
The Remane 5: So another premiere where they are just in the background, go figure.
The feed: Not on the episode but where I watched it the stream go really buggy in the last two minutes.
The Cyrstal Ponies: You're all idiots you know that right? 

What was meh to me:
Flurry Hearts: She's just there.
Starlight Glimmer: She's tolerable, but I still don't care for her. That her background is just completely forgiven is still frustrating as ever, but she wasn't God-awful.

So yeah it was fine, reminds me of Princess Twilight Sparkle in terms of stakes and accomplishments. 

• Brohoof 4

Here we go. This my opinion

Part 1

The start of the first part started how I expected it too. The pacing led up to a great moment. I was really touched (for the first time) to see Starlight's character evolve. She Really does reflect on her childhood and what Sunburst did for her, and she wants to do something for Sunburst. As for the baby. well.... I hate it. Also Haveing all that magic to an alicorn baby, is like giving a baby a loaded gun, it's just not right! They need to give it a disabling spell.

Part 2

I enjoyed part two about the same as part one. I kinda felt like we all lost it at the end of part 1 where the crystal heart shatters. However, part 2 I struggled to focus on Twilight and Cadence as they find the spell to restore the heart. I was still too focused on Starlight and Sunburst. The ending though was better. I like at the very end, we catch a view of the parents of Shining Armor and Twilight. Great follow up though

The Verdict: I give both these episodes a strong 7.5/10 (a fairly good episode)

Great start to season 6

Also, I give this episode the Seal of approval

Edited by Captain Whirlwind
  • Brohoof 1

This was a great 2-parter episode.  Starlight Glimmer was likable along with the other ponies and Twilight's a great teacher.

Flurryheart unfortunately is one of the reasons why I'm not a fan of little tykes.

Still, I hope you'll liked it also.

• Brohoof 3

I enjoyed this episode. It developed Starlight's character well, Spike had a great role and the characterization was all good in this one. Although at the same time it makes me glad condoms exist :P

I'll probably give this one a 9/10.

• Brohoof 2

I thought this season premiere was fantastic. I loved all characterizations to the characters, especially Starlight, Sunburst, Shining Armor, and Spike who had the best character moments. I liked how they handled their characters and they were done really well. While do wish that the Mane 6 showed more animosity towards Starlight after what she did in season, they handled her reunion with Sunburst incredibly well and I felt it helped this season premiere much more stronger. The lack of an antagonist is a plus since we get to focus more on the character dilemmas. It made sense for Flurry Heart to cause trouble in the second half since she's a baby Alicorn, though I never found her baby jokes all that funny to me. The rest of the show's humor, especially in the first half, was very well done. 

Overall, fantastic way to open season 6 and end this rather short hiatus. Here's hoping that in the season finale, a villain will appear and try to use Flurry Heart's alicorn powers for their own nefarious motives.

• Brohoof 3

And just like everytime, i have no idea what all the doompauling was about. :P

This was a very great episode and it surprisingly build in all the different stories well, and also building in some development for some characters, especially Spike and Shining Armor and i begged for some development for shiny, since he is an underrated character for me.

Starlight for me, was great in this episode and it was a fantastic idea to stick her with Spike, because they have surprisingly great chemistry together. Also, her awkwardness makes her very cute.

Flurry Heart...meh. I can tolerate her. I can understand the complains, but she dosen't bother me that much.

I was a bit wrong about sunburst. I thought he would be stressed because of the huge pressure. But he actually isn't a wizard at all, just someone that reads magicbooks. Just shows that reading dosen't mean you can understand them. He was a good character and probably good shipping material for Starlight. :P

Also, TWILIGHTS PARENTS TALKED. I know, it dosen't seem important, but i wished this for so long and i am extremly happy. :D

All in all, great episode. Can't wait for the slice of life episodes. :)

• Brohoof 7

I like it, but dagnabbit, Part 2 carried that damn Idiot Ball! TCE’s citizens, that baby's loose power is penetrating through the castle. Rather than run away, they treat it as some kind of spectacle?! *facehoof*

The best part was the tandem between Spike and Starlight. He's usually at his best as a supporting character, and this is no exception. Starlight's growth, nervousness, and belief she let Twilight down felt very natural for her. Sunburst may not be able to do as much magic as he thought he could, but his concrete knowledge of it shouldn't be taken for granted.

I'll have to rewatch it to gauge the quality better, but for now, not all that bad.

• Brohoof 5