What did you think?  

315 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• I hated it!
    • I didn't like it.
    • It was...meh.
    • I liked it pretty well.
    • THAT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!!!

I haven't watched the episode, and I don't really care much about ponies anymore. As I was very inactive from this website.

So how was this episode?

You should see it if you get the chance. You won't be disappointed.

• Brohoof 1

Well, gotta say I had a blast watching the Season 6 premiere, also liked the updated MLP intro with SG in it, and also the CMC with their cutie marks. Anyways, also loved the fact that the staff decided to make SG and SB to solve their issues and stuff. Any how, can't wait for more episodes for this season, hope it becomes good, and also they add some new stuff here as well.

It is a bit different than your typical two parter but that is not a bad thing, just different. Flurry Heart is adorable, it was interesting to see both the positive as well as more stressful aspects of parenthood with an obviously exhausted Shining Armor. The reunion of Sunburst and Starlight was done well, both had their own insecurities and disappointments but it was nice to see things end well for both of them, Spike had some of the best characterization that we have seen from him in a long time.

• Brohoof 1

I don't tend to like season openers all that much, but I liked that. It wasn't fantastic, but it left me with a nice warm feeling inside and a lot of optimism for the rest of the season. The main plot was pretty standard for a season opener - not to mention predictable (I think most of us guessed that Sunburst was going to save the day), but the side plot with Starlight Glimmer was great.

The main thing I'll take from this episode is the Spike/Starlight dynamic. They were great together, and I'm hoping we'll get to see them interacting a lot more in the future.

• Brohoof 1

Next up, ol' Spike had himself quite the episode as well. It was really nice seeing him giving advice to someone besides Twilight, and they wrote him really well. He was a nice combination of helpful and not helpful; he didn't have all the answers and sometimes he tried stuff that didn't work out, but it was never in an insultingly stupid way. Everything felt like actions his character should take, and I really liked that. I hope he gets to work with Starlight more like that as well as aid Twilight in becoming a better teacher too, because he also gave her a great pep talk at the end of the opener. Overall, definitely one of Spike's best appearances in a supporting role.

I want to comment on this part of your review, Batbrony, because you pick up an excellent point bout his character. One of the biggest problems in the show is how DHX often doesn't have an idea on what to do with Spike. Everyone and their grandmas and grandpas know about his sucky roles in his episodes. Even in secondary or tertiary roles, usually the slot he performs best, he swallowed the Inconsistency Pill. This episode really shows how much he wants to help her, but sometimes can't, yet doesn't make him look dumb, incompetent, or both.

His friendship with Starlight was the episode's biggest highlight and the biggest reason why I've grown to like it. Like her chemistry with Sunburst, her chemistry with Spike felt very organic. It wasn't thrown in in the last second nor poorly paced. Time was spent to make the whole A-plot feel like a story and not a virtual checklist. Haber writes a really good Spike and Starlight, and TCr only proves this point further.

• Brohoof 4

Sunburst and Starlight reuniting was pretty hard to watch...so awkward. 

Indeed, but it makes sense considering their expectations. It's very realistic because in real life you have people build expectations of friends. Overestimating someone else's achievement can lead to holding back on the fear that you'll look like a fool if they knew what your life was really like. I think it was an important thing for the show to touch upon.  :fluttershy:

Also, I see the voting has evened things out a bit. Glad a lot of people also enjoyed these episodes. We've got a great season ahead of us. *brohoof to all*  :squee:

Josh Haber has been the best spike writer I have ever seen, all of his episodes have been great for spike.

Haber has been great for a while now, this episode was a decent break after the craziness of the finale, though I would of preferred a new villain, this episode did entertain me greatly

8/10, I want a new villain this season, or a return of an old one (SOMMBRRAAA)

Flurry heart is not more powerful than Celestia or Luna, or even Twilight, she just is getting surges of magic, all newborn magic users go through it.

And just to let people know, Celestia and Luna are natural born, they did not say they weren't. But they have never seen one and neither has Equestria.

Edited by ryanmahaffe
  • Brohoof 2

This pemiere wasn't as exciting as past two-parters, but it was pretty good. I loved Starlight's characterization and her story here. She's starting to become one of my favourites and I hope she continues to be a part of season 6. It was nice to have a two-parter that doesn't just focus on Twilight and  gives a side character more development. If they continue with her being Starlight's teacher that could be interesting to see and open some new story potential. Spike also had some (surprisingly) good moments.

The parts with Flurry Heart seemed kind of slow but overall, enjoyable episode. 

I want to comment on this part of your review, Batbrony, because you pick up an excellent point bout his character. One of the biggest problems in the show is how DHX often doesn't have an idea on what to do with Spike. Everyone and their grandmas and grandpas know about his sucky roles in his episodes. Even in secondary or tertiary roles, usually the slot he performs best, he swallowed the Inconsistency Pill. This episode really shows how much he wants to help her, but sometimes can't, yet doesn't make him look dumb, incompetent, or both.

His friendship with Starlight was the episode's biggest highlight and the biggest reason why I've grown to like it. Like her chemistry with Sunburst, her chemistry with Spike felt very organic. It wasn't thrown in in the last second nor poorly paced. Time was spent to make the whole A-plot feel like a story and not a virtual checklist. Haber writes a really good Spike and Starlight, and TCr only proves this point further.

Should Spike not get any more episodes?

Should Spike not get any more episodes?

We'll be getting another soon. Nobody knows if it's going to be as good as Inspiration Manifestion or as terrible as Princess Spike. We'll see.

It seemed like the Remane 5 were pretty much in their same roles here as they were in "The Crystal Empire" season premiere - wrangling the crystal ponies and trying to keep them from rioting.

Nah, they were pretty worse off. At least their roles in The Crystal Empire were fairly meaningful....for the most part, though they did indeed get stuck with a mostly pointless B-plot. 

Aside from seeing Flurry Heart, they simply had no reason to be in this premiere. None whatsoever. 

It's a bit telling when even Spike is ultimately more important to the plot then they are. Hell, and this isn't even the first time either. 

Edited by Cleverclover

SEASON SIX IS HERE!!!!

- Starlights first task: Finding her way around Twilight's castle.

- Real talk: I think it's great that Starlight is living with Twilight and Spike. They're further hinting at Starlight being a full-fledged main character. (Which means my prediction was correct!)

- Josh Haber as story editor? YES!! I loved his work on Friendship Games and the S5 finale.

- That story telling vase looks amazing, it's a nice alternative to using a book to explain the crystalling.

- Twilight and Starlight stalking the CMC while they help a pony figure out what makes them special? That would be interesting. #I'dTotallyWatchIt

- Also, I love how they showed Spike flexing his muscles in front of a mirror. It's a nice callback to Party of One.

- Silly AppleJack, Flurry Heart can't fit in that cradle, her wings are too big.

- Gee Shining Armor, you seem a bit.......... off. Did you do something with your mane?

- It's nice to see that the crystal ponies still regard spike as a famous hero.

- Does this mean Celestia and Luna weren't born as Alicorns? Or do they simply mean that equestria has never seen the birth of an Alicorn because the sisters pre-date Equestria?

- Is Sunburst really an important wizard? I'm not a psychic, but I think he's hiding something.

- The baby shattered the crystal heart!! Welp..... Does anypony have some super glue?

- Good luck busting THOSE clouds Rainbow dash.

- Meanwhile, Spike is practicing his scroll wrangling skills.

- Wow! Princess Celestia is actually doing something!!

- Tough crowd. They're kind of acting like Manehattin ponies.

- Twlight, if there was ever a good time to protect a book, now would be that time.

- Starlight tells Sunburst about what she did during S5 and all he cares about is the fact that she mastered time travel..... lol.

- So Sunburst knows a lot of spells, but he can't actually perform them.

- "Best Crystalling ever!"

- Twlight and Shining's parents finally spoke!! *crosses that off my bingo sheet.*

- Starlight went back with the mane 6 instead of staying with Sunburst. This even further hints at her overall importance to the show.

Overall, it was great. It's truly beautiful to see how far Twilight has come, going from Celestia's student to having a pupil of her own. I also particularly loved Starlight's writing and Spike's writing too! Just like in the S5 finale, they handled him perfectly. See y'all next week, for another glorious S6 episode!

Edited by Princess Book Horse
  • Brohoof 1

Howdy folks!

Well that was a great start to season six as the ponies travel to see the Royal Baby, avert a disaster, &  one of the them reunites with an old friend.

Josh Haber wrote a dandy of a season premere.

Kelly Sheridan was awesome as Starlight Glimmer.

She wasn't sure what to do now that she made friends with the Mane 6 & Twilight

Glad to see Spike helping her through her first friendship lesson.

It was cool to see him offer her some help as well.

Ian Hanlin as Sunburst did pretty good.

As far as the new arrival in the empire.

Isnt she the cutest thing??? :wub:

Poor Shining Armor & Cadence.

I first thought he was gonna say CLOCK IS TICKING!! (Ala Lesson Zero)

Nice that he had a moment going nuts like his sister :lol:

But wow the little one sure had powers.

Not even Pinkie can handle the baby.

I was WHOA when I saw the Crystal Heart shattered. :blink:

I thought it was doom & gloom when the book was blasted by the baby but Sunburst was the key (And Flurry Heart).

Good thing Starlight snapped out of her funk and so did Sunburst and he helped return the empire to normal.

Glad to see Twilight & Shining's Parents at the end of part 2.

And I CALLED IT! I posted before the opener that Tara Strong should voice Twilight Velvet and she did!

(YES YES YES YES YES YES!!! As Twilight sez)

While Andrew Francis (Shinning Armor) Voiced Night Light.

I'm surprised Tara didn't voiced the baby.

(Tabitha St.Germain did)

Kinda sounded like Tara (Rugrats anyone?)

Oh well Tabitha did a great job.

Cant wait for next weeks episode.

• Brohoof 2

This is basically a redux version of Season 3's The Crystal Empire, only without King Sombra.

I'm thinking that Flurryheart might be a secret villain, but apparently, the winter itself is the villain. Who knew?

In other words... pretty awesome!

• Brohoof 2

Can we just let Haber touch Spike from now on, and keep Spike out of anyone else's episode? Just send the other writers their layoffs, please

Also, yay for Night Light and Twilight Velvet FINALLY getting lines!

• Brohoof 2

That was awesome! I managed to watch it while ordering and eating at a Steak 'n' Shake!

Looks like StarBurst is officially canon! 

And dat sneeze tho...reminded me of Beerus from DBZ Battle of the Gods...not nearly as powerful tho. 

Love how Starlight was so hesitant to tell the truth. Knew that was coming. 

And don't forget bed-maned Shining Armor...that was priceless. 

Solidly Meh/meh.

I was expecting a horrible episode, so in some ways its a great surprise: it wasn't friendship games bad, so clap clap there haber. On the other hand... its kind of... boring.
Its not Terrible. Don't get me wrong. I found Sunburst being adorkable nice, Spike was great with Starlight and I enjoyed Pinkie and Flurry's interactions. But past that... it was just kind of bland.

Nothing really big happened, no really good characterization, and the plot was transparently just there to create a problem to bring sunburst and starlight together to solve a problem over. And I really don't care for the new starlight even if I do like sunburst.

5/10 here. Not a bad episode for a middle of the season filler type episode, but Haber, come on man, straight man to man talk here: You're writing the Opener, you have McCarthy's job, this is a premier and a Two parter. You're supposed to Sweep us off our feet and get us excited about what's to come. S4's premier did that, S4's FINALE did that, S5's Premier did that (I miss larson...) and the S2 premier did that. but this is PHONED IN.
You're being held to a higher standard here, this is the Crown jewel type episode here man, You CANNOT flub these and expect to keep people's attention. Like the S4 premier: that episode plus the box had me REALLY interested in the season to come, I was excited for what had happened in the episode and the promise of the box filled me with enthusiasm. This just... makes me bored.

Anyways, yeah, 5/10. Solidly mediocre.

• Brohoof 1

I loved it! Flurry Heart was so freaking cute! :wub:

I just found the pace a bit slow, some characters acted a bit oddly (like Celestia and Luna)...

Spike was pretty good for once, and interesting reaction from Twilight at the end.

Edited by Blobulle

Really, I could go more or less with all the baby stuff, I don't care, but what's the greatest thing about the episode is that you don't have to be fully on board with that to get with it. It was merely a backdrop for what was really important, and that was the message of Starlight and Sunburst's plotline. I especially love it when an underdog is championed, and honesty truly is the best test of friendship, especially being open about things you aren't proud of.

I like how Sunburst not being a "wizard" didn't go the typical "liar revealed" route with everyone accusing either him or Starlight of lying about him being one, instead with the other characters trusting him (to a point that would be improbable in the real world, but it's a heroes saving the world story, so let 'em slide). That awkward, reclusive, out-of-place nature and encyclopedic knowledge of magic show shades of Season 1 Twilight at her most enjoyable (aside from the times she absolutely freaked out).

Although fraught with awkwardness at the beginning, the way Starlight eases into a growing confidence with Sunburst going through the second part of the episode felt very natural, as did that excruciating anxiety beforehand. It's that feeling when you meet someone from your past whom you associated with a really negative or awkward event, but you have no idea how they'll react, so you're absolutely scared stiff. Haber seems to translate that very well into what may be the start of a good run for him on this show. Luckily for Starlight, Spike's prodding comes at the most opportune time, and shows probably some of his best writing since the low point of Season 4. He seems to be back to an area reminiscent of Season 1. Sure he can get greedy, immature, and egotistical. Sure he can be overly blunt and say things he shouldn't, even if they're right. However, Spike has the best intentions, and these are mere flaws to what's a strong character. A lot of Twilight has definitely rubbed off on him, as he serves as a near-perfect surrogate for Twilight's guidance in Starlight's presence, and even has a leg up on Twilight at the end.

For Starlight's character arc itself, however, it almost feels like we've skipped a few episodes. It's very, very hard to buy a complete 180 for this character considering where she was when the second part of "The Cutie Re-Mark" began, but it reflects badly on that episode rather than this one. As a stand-alone, self-contained story, "The Crystalling" does more than suffice. It used whatever continuity it had, and thankfully did expand a bit more on the Sunburst incident even if it couldn't fix what "Re-Mark" had bombed.

The only other thing I could say against this episode is that the presence of the Mane 6 felt like baggage, just like "The Crystal Empire". They're just there to cringe at Spike being Spike in the beginning, for Pinkie Pie to do Pinkie Pie things, and for every character to remind us that they're there, and just hang around at the end. While I love that other characters were getting a spotlight again, just like in "The Cutie Map", any unnecessary presence in the episode just feels like fat that can be trimmed. The Mane 6 are witnesses rather than actors here. The tourist ponies couldn't be any wiser; they remind me of the sort of stock insane/dumb townspeople you'd find in a show like Family Guy or The Simpsons. They show just how helpless Equestria seems to be without exceptional heroes and princesses to constantly bail them out of trouble. Although I like other characters getting the spotlight for once, please have your backgrounds actually do something for once. Remember, kids: those firecrackers you hear could actually be gunshots.

Overall, much better than I anticipated, and I was very ready to knock this one. Reminds me of how Rainbow Rocks defied expectations.

• Brohoof 3