Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv New Ghostbusters Movie

Honestly... My expectations for this film were dropping ever since it was revealed. I was even excited about an all female cast because I felt it could bring something new to the table, but it's literally just re-imagining the original Ghostbusters with vaginas. When I first heard that they were choosing a director who has never made this kind of film before I was a little skeptical, but then Bill Murray basically wanted nothing to do with this film, my expectations dropped even more.

Then they unveiled the cast and when I saw them I knew what they were doing. The "diverse" group of women, the avoiding stereotypical "pretty" Hollywood girls... It's a tumblr feminism pleaser.

Then this trailer came out and I think the dislike bar speaks for itself. This film is clearly just a cash in on the feminism craze on tumblr and trying to cash in on SJWs. It's really unfortunate because I would have liked to see some female Ghostbusters, but it's clear they are not taking this attempt seriously and they were just hoping for easy "equality" points so they could get away with pathetic humor.

(edited)

Couldn't even get halfway through the trailer without turning this off. This looks awful!

Not gonna lie, looks like they really messed up with this one...

Edited by AtomicStone
  • Brohoof 1

Well, it sure doesn't look like anything to hang in the christmas tree. But who knows, maybe it will be a pleasant surprise.

Also it doesn't seem to be that much of a "tumblr feminism pleaser" to me. The actors are women, but that's really it.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

What's the plot even about? I feel like I watched the whole movie with that trailer alone. It just seemed like they will put in some kind of *pause* then insert "joke that isn't even funny and executed poorly" then they move onto the next joke... am I missing something here?

Three women and Miley Cyrus (seriously that is Miley Cyrus :l) go and kill ghosts while putting something that is... I guess supposed to be funny which we are being told by pausing the ambience SFX at those moments. 

Also it feels so sterile... and the actresses are just terrible they have no character... tell me there's a plot twist and that's these four women are actually ghosts because they seem dead to me.

And oh yeah 1:40 Rainbow Dash wig... yeah I know I know there always has been rainbow wigs...

Edited by cider float

(edited)

Personally I don't think avoiding the stereotypical "pretty" Hollywood girls is a bad thing - it just makes for a more realistic cast. This film wasn't made just to provide eye candy.

I don't really know how changing the gender of the main characters should change your expectations, as ghost hunters are probably all pretty similar regardless of gender??? idk it seems like the sort of job that has some pretty specific requirements to me. I wasn't sure myself if they'd be able to do anything different with it.

Anyway I understand if the humour and scripting don't meet your expectations but I think you are complaining about the wrong things. I for one am always happy to see an attempt at bit of diversity ^^ (even if the characters all look a bit stereotypical)

Edited by Hibiscus Bloom

Since when is a movie a "tumblr feminism pleaser" just because of the fact that the actors happens to be a diverse group of women? 

When it's so obvious that the only reason the characters are a diverse group of women it's to claim something that was previously all men due to the fact that no effort went into it. Look at the evidence:

• Paul Fig has never made an action film before, so they literally chose someone who was all comedy and had no experience with the franchise.
  • Paul Fig is most known these days for Bridesmaids which is criticized often as just being a female rip off of The Hangover.
  • The cast are a bunch of no name stars despite having a $154 million budget.
  • They purposely chose this "diverse" cast of the heavy girl, the plain jane, the pretty girl and the sassy black friend. It's basically like screaming "LOOK DIVERSITY" and it adds nothing to the concept.
  • The idea looks poorly written. No effort is being made here, it's just cashing in.

I'm sorry but if they had put some effort into this and made it look like they were trying to make a serious movie I wouldn't dismiss it as cashing in on Tumblr social justice, but it's pretty obvious that is what the goal is here. A reboot is supposed to appeal to old fans and inspire new fans. This has virtually nothing to offer the old fans except making them cringe and new fans... It offers... Ummm... Women! The story looks laughable and the humor looks forced and pathetic. It's pretty obvious they were hoping having an all female cast of "diverse" women would be enough to get tumblrites to rush to get their tickets, but it's not even working for them as they are already getting criticism of the black character being a stereotype.

Sony and anyone who likes this can deny it all they like, but at the end of the day this film is so obviously a cash in that it's not even that difficult to see.

(edited)
Personally I don't think avoiding the stereotypical "pretty" Hollywood girls is a bad thing -

Not at all! When EFFORT is put into it. I am totally okay with an all female cast and I even kind of wanted to see how that would work, but it's clear that they basically are just shoehorning equality in there without any thought to how the actual film should go.

My problem is that they have gone so far in the opposite direction by going so over the top with the concept of using the non-stereotypical beautiful girls to the point where it is sort of like someone telling you they are being progressive and constantly poking you and going "see, that? See what we just did there? Progressive huh?" for the next two hours.

I don't really know how changing the gender of the main characters should change your expectations, as ghost hunters are probably all pretty similar regardless of gender???

It didn't until I saw the actual cast and then the trailer. What changed my expectations is that they made them females for the sake of making them females not to have them bring anything quality or interesting to the table. It's a movie so when you make a change the change should benefit the film and this just feels like the change was not necessary because it brought nothing to the table the way they executed it. If anything, it's an insult.

Anyway I understand if the humour and scripting don't meet your expectations but I think you are complaining about the wrong things. I for one am always happy to see a bit of diversity ^^

You misunderstood. I am not upset that they are female. I am upset that they were made female for the sake of being made female and it does NOTHING for the actual film and the quality is poor. It's basically like saying that diversity and equality is all it needs to be "good" and that's a bigger insult to women and diversity because the quality of this film by the look of the trailer is low. You shouldn't be happy to see diversity just because it is there, you should be happy to see it implemented tastefully and in a product that is quality rather. Doing it like this is more or less making diversity into a joke. It's basically saying that you just need to slap diversity onto a bad movie and that makes it good.

My issue is that the only major thought that went into making this film was diversity, but not the quality of the writing or film.

Edited by Guest

I'd have no problem with the all-female cast if it wasn't a reboot. I can understand it if they made it so that say, they were all related to the original team in some way, and wanted to follow up on their legacy. 

The fact that it's a reboot is just dumb and continues to follow an ugly trend in Hollywood of rebooting everything in the past(and usually failing)

There's no reason of having an all-female cast other than for the sake of it and pandering to Tumblrites

• Brohoof 1

Not at all! When EFFORT is put into it. I am totally okay with an all female cast and I even kind of wanted to see how that would work, but it's clear that they basically are just shoehorning equality in there without any thought to how the actual film should go.

My problem is that they have gone so far in the opposite direction by going so over the top with the concept of using the non-stereotypical beautiful girls to the point where it is sort of like someone telling you they are being progressive and constantly poking you and going "see, that? See what we just did there? Progressive huh?" for the next two hours.

It didn't until I saw the actual cast and then the trailer. What changed my expectations is that they made them females for the sake of making them females not to have them bring anything quality or interesting to the table. It's a movie so when you make a change the change should benefit the film and this just feels like the change was not necessary because it brought nothing to the table the way they executed it. If anything, it's an insult.

You misunderstood. I am not upset that they are female. I am upset that they were made female for the sake of being made female and it does NOTHING for the actual film and the quality is poor. It's basically like saying that diversity and equality is all it needs to be "good" and that's a bigger insult to women and diversity because the quality of this film by the look of the trailer is low. You shouldn't be happy to see diversity just because it is there, you should be happy to see it implemented tastefully and in a product that is quality rather. Doing it like this is more or less making diversity into a joke. It's basically saying that you just need to slap diversity onto a bad movie and that makes it good.

My issue is that the only major thought that went into making this film was diversity, but not the quality of the writing or film.

I see where you're coming from and I agree, a film should not rely on diversity alone! But it is certainly a step in the right direction, even if this film wasn't executed particularly well (or so it seems).

I'm going to be honest, my only interest in this film is because it was an all female-team. I was disappointed by the trailer because I did not think it was funny. Though, I don't laugh at many things. But still I like the action.  Will see it but maybe not in theaters.

It looks alright, I was excited about a new ghostbusters too and I like the idea of a female cast. It looks kinda silly, but isn't that kind of what ghostbusters is supposed to be?

I really don't see the problem with having a "diverse" cast of characters. The people complaining about a female main cast that are probably the same ones that are complaining about a gay character in star wars.

It doesn't look that good, but I don't think the trailer deserves more dislikes than likes on youtube.

• Brohoof 1

I see where you're coming from and I agree, a film should not rely on diversity alone! But it is certainly a step in the right direction, even if this film wasn't executed particularly well (or so it seems).

Oh yeah totally! I am ALL FOR an all female cast. I just want one done with quality.

I'm going to be honest, my only interest in this film is because it was an all female-team. I was disappointed by the trailer because I did not think it was funny. Though, I don't laugh at many things. But still I like the action.  Will see it but maybe not in theaters.

See and no offense to you, I see that as part of the problem. That people were interested in it just because of an all female cast which is clearly what they were going for. They should just focus on making a quality film and if the film happens to be all female then all the better. But it feels like this was their thought process when making the film:

"Let's make a new ghostbusters!"

"Oh cool, what would this one be about?"

"How about we have all female ghostbusters!"

"That would also be cool, so what then?"

"Nothing, I mean that's all we need right?"

I really don't see the problem with having a "diverse" cast of characters. The people complaining about a female main cast that are probably the same ones that are complaining about a gay character in star wars.

That's not the issue though. People are annoyed that it basically seems like they only made them female for the sake of diversity but it added nothing to the film. And I knew this would happen. Anyone criticizing the decision and saying this is a stupid idea gets accused of being sexist for wanting a female ghostbusters movie that looks like they put more effort into it than just adding females and calling the job finished.

It definitely deserves more dislikes than likes because it's so obvious that they are not putting any real effort into this film. 

On one hand, some people are complaining that they made the cast all-female purely to pander to the Tumblrists.  On the other hand, other people are complaining about the people complaining and accusing them of being sexist.

For extra "diversity", they should make the cast in the sequel all transgender!  Then people who complain about the movie being bad can be accused of being transphobic.

I don't think they were pandering to anyone any more than every single all guy team film panders to men.

And people were and are being legitimately sexist about it so don't be whining that it is a knee-jerk reaction to nothing.

• Brohoof 4

Well initially I had some anticipation for it, at the very least to see how they'd play it out. However, the whole changing up the genders and well it's just all pretty obvious this is yet another tumblr movie. It could be fun though, I don't want to judge a movie before I've seen it. Still will I watch it or not, well maybe but not sure I'm rather indifferent about it.

• Brohoof 1

I like how they seem to have deliberately made all the female characters unattractive, and of course there is a fat one.  :eww:

Because apparently it is evil and offensive to be attractive or look good.

And apparently it is evil and offensive to be unattractive and fat. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I don't think they were pandering to anyone any more than every single all guy team film panders to men.

And people were and are being legitimately sexist about it so don't be whining that it is a knee-jerk reaction to nothing.

Sexist people will always exist and they will always voice their ignorant opinions just as racists always exist and voice their ignorant opinions. People with negative thoughts often speak up more than people with positive. That being said there is no evidence to suggest that the majority of people dislike this film because of sexism. So making it about sexism is basically a cop out to try and avoid admitting that they made a terrible film that is shoehorning diversity in it.

If you honestly were only interested in seeing the film because it was all female, that kind of just shows your mentality is that gender makes a huge difference when I am in the mentality of them being female did not affect my opinion of the movie: it's the fact that them being female basically seems to be the ONLY thought that was made when creating this film that is bothering me. I LIKE the idea of an all female Ghostbuster cast, but I want one that is done with some thought not just "make sure they are all female and diverse and nothing else". There is no real humor to this, the humor feels weak as hell and they chose a director without a lot of experience with this genre and a cast who has never really been in a big name film like this. No effort or care was made to make sure this film kept the spirit of the originals true, it was just "Ghostbusters: Now with boobs!"

So no I am criticizing the film for its poor quality and little effort put into it.

What I want: Ghostbusters film with women in it that is a quality film with a staff that gives a damn and has experience to show they are putting an honest effort forth.

What I do not want: Ghostbusters with boobs.

It is not sexist to say that this movie is crap because they are not putting any real thought into it. If anything it's an INSULT to feminism because it's basically saying that women don't deserve movies of the same quality that men get. Just slap some women in there and call it a day.

I am getting sick and tired of how Sexism and sexist have become buzzwords like a witch hunt. The moment someone criticizes something with women in it, call it sexist to discredit legitimate concerns. Sorry but it won't work here, I am not being sexist, nor am I disliking this film for the gender of the characters. I am disliking it because it's an insult to the originals and was not given the attention it deserves because equality was shoehorned in and coveted above all else including quality. You can call me sexist all you like, it does not make it true, nor does it negate my criticism of this film:

It sucks because they put more thought into the gender of the cast than the actual movie. Anyone who only wants to see a movie because of the gender of the cast is more sexist than the people criticizing this movie for no thought being put into this idea. I'm sorry but what you just said before was basically "I am only interested in this film because women". That mentality is basically saying that gender makes a difference to you, but it does not make a difference to me. I would have been fine with this movie if it was all old ladies so long as the story was done decently and there was a feeling of effort and a team that had experience in making films like this working on it, clearly trying their best to make this movie the best they possibly could. But what we got was a poor director who has virtually no experience making action films with a cast who has had little big screen performances, and a film that is using gender as a gimmick to reel in feminists, yet still embraces stereotypes like the sassy black girl being the only "street smart" one of the group while a bunch of white girls are scientists.

Edited by Guest

It's a bad remake of a classic comedy. You can't remake classics and expect them to be good. You just can't. The producers know this, and so they're trying to market this movie as gender bender Ghostbusters because they know they won't get anybody to go see it without the gimmick.

• Brohoof 4

It's a bad remake of a classic comedy. You can't remake classics and expect them to be good. You just can't. The producers know this, and so they're trying to market this movie as gender bender Ghostbusters because they know they won't get anybody to go see it without the gimmick.

Yes! That is my issue: The gender thing is being used as a gimmick rather than just existing. See that is the kind of Ghostbusters movie I want. All or some of the cast are women and it's not made out to be a big deal.