Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv New Ghostbusters Movie

Also Paul Feig has basically been confirmed for SJW as well:

https://twitter.com/paulfeig/status/646833222408642560

Basically a fan was saying that this film is more or less just force feeding equality. The guy in question stated he has no issue with an all female cast, but Paul Feig pulled the misogyny card and told someone to fuck off for criticizing his film which for starters is unprofessional. Yeah it's pretty obvious that this film is being marketed on feminism, which tells me that the biggest thought that went into this film was the gender of the characters. Some of the marketing:

CQDGBY1UkAAp4VJ.jpg

(edited)

[a page from Paul's actual directing notebook]

1. Let's make the Ghostbusters girls!

2. ?????

3. Profit!

I originally was hyped about it, but I was quite disappointed in the trailer. It takes the realism (yeah you heard me) out of the way the characters were played in the first Ghostbusters. They already seem more cartoony in their reactions and the foundation of the team. There was a subtlety and grittiness and realism. Hell, the one braniac lady seems to even be a visual ripoff of Egon from The Real Ghostbusters...if you're taking pages from the cartoon instead of the original....

I HOPE that it's better, and there's more than meets the eye, and of course I'll GB nerd enough to go on opening day, but...seems rushed.

I mean, seriously, the hearse from the first movie didn't need an arrow pointed at it to say "Look, it's a f'n hearse/ambulance."

This one "It's a hearse. Yuh, but it's a Cadillac!"  Come on...

Edited by PiratePony
  • Brohoof 1

A gender swap of the main cast with the same racial make-up of three whites and one black is half-way in my view. Especially when one of them is a stereotype. This is 2016.

This can't beat the original since it was written by Egon and Ray.

• Brohoof 1

Then they unveiled the cast and when I saw them I knew what they were doing. The "diverse" group of women, the avoiding stereotypical "pretty" Hollywood girls... It's a tumblr feminism pleaser.

Then this trailer came out and I think the dislike bar speaks for itself. This film is clearly just a cash in on the feminism craze on tumblr and trying to cash in on SJWs. It's really unfortunate because I would have liked to see some female Ghostbusters, but it's clear they are not taking this attempt seriously and they were just hoping for easy "equality" points so they could get away with pathetic humor.

You could have just said that you didn't find it funny.  Or that you weren't looking forward to it.  I can't say that I'm looking forward to it.  But you make it sound as though the original cast was castrated and you were made to watch it happen.  And has it occurred to you that some people might just want to see some damned ghosts get busted?  Literally everyone who's even remotely interested has to be compelled by the celebration of diversity and equality?  Really?

And I don't consider Kristen Wiig or Melissa McCarthy to be "no names"; I'm familiar with and actually like both of those comedians.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

And I don't consider Kristen Wiig or Melissa McCarthy to be "no names"; I'm familiar with and actually like both of those comedians.

Agreed,

I may not know much about Kristen Wiig outside SNL, but Melissa McCarthy is definitely very well known especially after Tammy and The Heat. Those come to mind first but I know she did much others. 

Edited by Rainbow Dashe
  • Brohoof 1

If it is done well, I have absolutely no issue with an all female Ghostbusters crew, that could have a lot of potential actually for being something unique while pertaining to the roots of before. IF it was done well. Judging by the trailer, I don't think that is gonna happen, at all. The characters just seem like stereotypes, ones that aren't even funny and are just played out by now and it just doesn't have the same vibe like the first two movies.

Still a wait and see game, but I think many have a good reason to not like what they are seeing. Some might say some people are just being sexist, sure, a small group of idiots might be like that, but I think the bigger picture is that the movie just doesn't look good, especially for a Ghostbusters film. 

• Brohoof 1

My hopes were low since the movie was even announced. The only halfway decent re-imagining that comes to mind at this point was robocop. It would be nice if some new IPs were made rather than rehashing old classics and doing a piss poor job of it at that. Hell the movie MAY be watchable but given what is shown in the trailer I have my doubts.

• Brohoof 2

You could have just said that you didn't find it funny.  Or that you weren't looking forward to it.  I can't say that I'm looking forward to it.  But you make it sound as though the original cast was castrated and you were made to watch it happen.  And has it occurred to you that some people might just want to see some damned ghosts get busted?  Literally everyone who's even remotely interested has to be compelled by the celebration of diversity and equality?  Really?

Good for you, but a majority of the people talking about this movie are bringing the talk of gender and diversity into the discussion and the marketing is basically based upon that as well. So naturally, yes people are going to talk about it whether you like it or not.

And as far as I am concerned those two are not nearly as big as the original cast when they did the first film. Many of them are SNL actors that have been brought on for a big movie. Like this is a major film for most of them and they couldn't call in even 1 seasoned actor to give them some advice?

Honestly... My expectations for this film were dropping ever since it was revealed. I was even excited about an all female cast because I felt it could bring something new to the table, but it's literally just re-imagining the original Ghostbusters with vaginas. When I first heard that they were choosing a director who has never made this kind of film before I was a little skeptical, but then Bill Murray basically wanted nothing to do with this film, my expectations dropped even more.

Then they unveiled the cast and when I saw them I knew what they were doing. The "diverse" group of women, the avoiding stereotypical "pretty" Hollywood girls... It's a tumblr feminism pleaser.

Then this trailer came out and I think the dislike bar speaks for itself. This film is clearly just a cash in on the feminism craze on tumblr and trying to cash in on SJWs. It's really unfortunate because I would have liked to see some female Ghostbusters, but it's clear they are not taking this attempt seriously and they were just hoping for easy "equality" points so they could get away with pathetic humor.

Eeeyup. You've summed up pretty much everything I planned on saying about this.

It looks like it's going to be absolutely awful. Feminists spitting in the face of fans of the classic films, while bought and bribed review sites insist that the critics have not the right to speak, like they did with Imperator Furiosue, also guest starring Max the Grunting Muzzled Road-Watching Sidekick.

Eeeyup. You've summed up pretty much everything I planned on saying about this.

It looks like it's going to be absolutely awful. Feminists spitting in the face of fans of the classic films, while bought and bribed review sites insist that the critics have not the right to speak, like they did with Imperator Furiosue, also guest starring Max the Grunting Muzzled Road-Watching Sidekick.

Honestly I feel when the film comes out, the fan reviews are going to be COMPLETELY different from the critic ones. If that happens I am betting it's because critics are afraid of doing their jobs and panning the movie like it deserves because they fear feminists will attack them.

See this is why I do not like this move. It's being used more as a criticism shield than anything else. I can understand when people just go "It'll suck because women" telling them that they are sexist pigs, but they basically will pull the card any time any criticism is made. Bad story? Bad acting? Terrible effects? "WELL YOU JUST HATE WOMEN!" And many feminists will sadly fall for it.

Most of us have no problem with women being the cast, it's that this seems to be being done for all the wrong reasons. They are trying to turn this into a statement and it's just not working.

Honestly I feel when the film comes out, the fan reviews are going to be COMPLETELY different from the critic ones. If that happens I am betting it's because critics are afraid of doing their jobs and panning the movie like it deserves because they fear feminists will attack them.

See this is why I do not like this move. It's being used more as a criticism shield than anything else. I can understand when people just go "It'll suck because women" telling them that they are sexist pigs, but they basically will pull the card any time any criticism is made. Bad story? Bad acting? Terrible effects? "WELL YOU JUST HATE WOMEN!" And many feminists will sadly fall for it.

Most of us have no problem with women being the cast, it's that this seems to be being done for all the wrong reasons. They are trying to turn this into a statement and it's just not working.

It's like you're my twin, and we were separated at birth because the simulation couldn't handle it.

There should be a forum where people can speak their mind about bad movies and games without fear of attacks from the feminazi army. Y'know, like most high-profile gamergaters get, for the "Crime" of knowing the truth and telling others about it, ruining the feminist narrative and making it feel less real for those that believe it.

>a bunch of women with vacuums

I see no problems here.

I guess I am the only person who watched the trailer and thought that the movie looked like it was going to be good.

Yes. I can guarantee that you are,

It's like you're my twin, and we were separated at birth because the simulation couldn't handle it.

There should be a forum where people can speak their mind about bad movies and games without fear of attacks from the feminazi army. Y'know, like most high-profile gamergaters get, for the "Crime" of knowing the truth and telling others about it, ruining the feminist narrative and making it feel less real for those that believe it.

>There should be a forum where people can speak their mind about bad movies and games

>without fear

There are many. Go visit /tv/ or /v/.

(edited)

@@Key Sharkz, How did that saying go? It wont take away anything from the originals. Well I choose not to add this to my life. It's an easy skip.

The only thing I pray for the song is that there's no stupid backup rapper adding some incomprehensible lyrics.  Or worse... a parody of Lookat dem flicka de wrists to Lookat dem trappa de ghosts or something like that.

Edited by Nit Pick

i never watched the originals, but i can understand why the fans of these movies would be mad at this movie,because the trailer looked kind of crap.

I don´t mind the all-women team, and i even think that the cast isnt the worst.The ghostbuster are supposed to be nerdy, so why would they pick the super-hot chicks for the roles?

But:

1. Fans expected the original characters to be back for this movie

2.These people really aren´t funny,nor are they the best actors available.It seems like a cheap cash-grab that tries to use the brand as a cheap way to make some quick buck and probably sell some merchandise.

also,the jokes aren´t funny,and i didn´t laugh a single time during the trailer,even though i really tried.

(edited)

Three women and Miley Cyrus (seriously that is Miley Cyrus :l) go and kill ghosts while putting something that is... I guess supposed to be funny which we are being told by pausing the ambience SFX at those moments. 

Seriously?? That's Miley Cyrus??? She must have gotten some plastic surgery or something cause that DOES NOT look like her.

Edited by gyashaa
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Looks like utter garbage and a complete travesty of the original. Harold Ramis is rolling in his grave. I think this topic might have to be moved to the debate pit soon. B)

Since when is a movie a "tumblr feminism pleaser" just because of the fact that the actors happens to be a diverse group of women?

Nice strawman there. You're clearly missing the point of criticism on the film's attempt at diversity.

Personally I don't think avoiding the stereotypical "pretty" Hollywood girls is a bad thing - it just makes for a more realistic cast.

The women in this film weren't chosen for that anyway, they were chosen because of their experience in comedy. It's not as if the cast of the original Ghostbusters was made up of male models. The appeal was never about the attractiveness of the cast it was based on their chemistry and comedic talent. Something this film does a poor job of convincing many people.

Anyway your argument makes no sense. Having less attractive people doesn't make a film better or even more realistic. Attractive people do exist in reality. The word you're looking for is 'average'. Which I don't see as inherently better in a film about capturing ghosts.

I for one am always happy to see an attempt at bit of diversity ^^ (even if the characters all look a bit stereotypical)

>_>

I'm going to be honest, my only interest in this film is because it was an all female-team.

And people were and are being legitimately sexist about it so don't be whining that it is a knee-jerk reaction to nothing.

Apparently you're one of them. Your motivation is clearly based on sex identity just in way you view as opposite of the one you condemn. To me that's hypocritical and a completely inane reason to want to see a film(or make one as the case may be). Edited by Roughshod

Nice strawman there. You're clearly missing the point of criticism on the film's attempt at diversity.

To be fair, Yamet has a point here. People are jumping up and down shouting that "This was just made in order to please SJW" with the only proof of that being that the characters are women.
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

To be fair, Yamet has a point here. People are jumping up and down shouting that "This was just made in order to please SJW" with the only proof of that being that the characters are women.

Key Sharkz third post on page 2 gives greater evidence to support that it is trying to cater to that crowd considering the director is blasting legit fan complaints as misogynistic and there's been more proof such as having one photo of a group of women spouting girl power in response to criticism of having an all female cast.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 2