Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does everypony hate Flash Sentry?

Starlet Harmony

I hate him because he is the stereotypical cool, good looking guy that the main female character falls in love with, which you can find in alll other flics about women. It's not that this is a bad thing but Laurenfaust started MLP with the idea to bring many different kinds of female and males to the screen in a pony world but now instead of celebrating this diversity and giving Tiwlight someone who would actually make sense to fall in love with. We go back to the norm with a run of the mill good looking guy who is nothing more than a boy toy.

I actually kind of like Flash Sentry.

He has a character design that I find appealing and I really like his voice acting.

Plus his short scenes in Friendship Games and his whole short that was released before the movie helped make me enjoy him a little bit more.

I also find it kind of funny that his relationship with Twilight is so hated for being incredibly cliche, forced, having a lack of substance, and the two of them barely even interacting with one another, and the whole bumping into eachother and blushing things, while Big Macintosh and Marble Pie is a really popular ship. Yet the two of them have a "relationship" that is even less than Flashlight.

While I am not saying that Twilight and Flash Sentry are a good couple at least they have managed to have a few small conversations and actually have some form of interaction with each other outside of standing around and blushing, even if it is not much it is still better than the "romance" between Big Mac and Marble which literally consists of them standing around, doing nothing and blushing and not even saying one full sentence to each other .

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

With what people said, he's super boring and literally contributes nothing to the plot whatsoever. He's just the "cool guy who plays guitar" and is just a shoehorned love interest. He's super cliche. Not too mention this line he said in the FG short:

"Watch the hair!"

'Nuff said. 

FLASH X TWI IS A BAD SHIPPING!

I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK

ITS BAD!

YOU CAN'T DENY THAT

FLASH SENTRY IS JUST A COMIC RELIEF CHARACTER

HE SHOULDN'T BE SHIPPED WITH TWI AT ANY MOMENT OR DIMENSION!

THATS WHY HES BAD

THE SHIP IS BAD

I can enjoy a simple character. For example the good guy that is good for the sake of being good, that eventually earns some backstory, but starts as a "bland" character by definition, but manages to charm me with his acts. It's all in the execution. In my opinion, everything in any form of fiction is about execution. To the point that I've found the dreaded alicorn oc of doom that everyone hates but the author managed to make into an interesting enough character in his interesting enough story.

The point is that usually when a person can make a good story, they can avoid the usual traps that come with character design and when we've seen the author doing great stories and great characters, but then they put something like Flash Sentry in a story, people KNOW that the author is not even trying.

I don't really dislike Flash but I don't like they way they made the human Twilight like him before you got to see the pony version of Flash (which was all of 5 seconds).  

I guess it is hard for me to fathom since Twilight was thrown into a human world, had no idea how to act human, but all of a sudden she acts like a perfectly normal human girl when a cute human guy is around?  She likes him instantly based off his looks when she, as a pony, should have no clue what the standard is for beauty of an entirely different species.

Maybe it's magic?  

I actually kind of like Flash Sentry.

He has a character design that I find appealing and I really like his voice acting.

Plus his short scenes in Friendship Games and his whole short that was released before the movie helped make me enjoy him a little bit more.

I also find it kind of funny that his relationship with Twilight is so hated for being incredibly cliche, forced, having a lack of substance, and the two of them barely even interacting with one another, and the whole bumping into eachother and blushing things, while Big Macintosh and Marble Pie is a really popular ship. Yet the two of them have a "relationship" that is even less than Flashlight.

While I am not saying that Twilight and Flash Sentry are a good couple at least they have managed to have a few small conversations and actually have some form of interaction with each other outside of standing around and blushing, even if it is not much it is still better than the "romance" between Big Mac and Marble which literally consists of them standing around, doing nothing and blushing and not even saying one full sentence to each other .

Let's not forget the OCs and self insert shipfics that are as, and even more bland and cliche than flashlight shipping, people LOVE those  :dash:

• 1 month later...

I think, some Bronys hate Flash Sentry, because they are secretly in love with Twilight and Flash Sentry is literally stealing their Waifu.

Because if Twilight will end up, having a Relationship with him, that will automatically destroy every Fanfiction and Head Canon involving Twilight, having a Relationship with someones Oc. It will also destroy every lesbian ship, that Bronys have come up with.

But thats only for some Bronys. Im not saying that a lot are like this but im pretty sure, they are a few who hate him, because of that. At least a little bit.

To be honest, there was a Time were i would have been pissed as well, if Rarity would had a Boyfriend all of a sudden, for example.  :lol:

But not anymore.

• Brohoof 1

Flash Sentury is boring.

He has not done anything significant or memorable.

Most see him as just a subtle love interest and not much else.

SUBTLE??? More like the most obvious love interest ever made.

• Brohoof 2

I think he's disliked simply because the writers have done nothing with him. They've given him so little personality, there's just not enough to him. That and, having Twilight develop a crush on Flash was weird, I mean she just came to the human world and all of a sudden likes one of them? I think, even those who don't mind Flashlight and aren't hung up on "muh waifu" will find the relationship to be lacking. And then at the end of EqG, Twi finds Flash in the pony world and... nothing comes of it. The next season starts up and it's like he never existed. I was really disappointed when they said Flash wouldn't appear in season 4, because I feel like having him in the show would give him the chance to build character, but I guess even the show staff don't care much for him.

I wouldn't say I hate or even really dislike him, personally. I just don't feel much for him. I want to like him, but anything interesting involving him has been too few and far between.

• Brohoof 2

I don't hate him, I just don't like him because he lacks any depth or character given to him in albeit a movie that introduced romance tropes and cliches but that doesn't excuse a lack of effort.

Anyway, more power to those who like Flash or dislike the guy. Better not waste your breath on this character. :P

Flash Sentry would have to be disliked by the fact that he was introduced into the movie and show without any character development, and a cliche romance/love interest that was portrayed in the movies.

Another reason would be in how others are supposedly accusing Flash for "stealing their waifu", and creating a ship most people would disagree with.

I think he's disliked simply because the writers have done nothing with him. They've given him so little personality, there's just not enough to him. That and, having Twilight develop a crush on Flash was weird, I mean she just came to the human world and all of a sudden likes one of them? I think, even those who don't mind Flashlight and aren't hung up on "muh waifu" will find the relationship to be lacking. And then at the end of EqG, Twi finds Flash in the pony world and... nothing comes of it. The next season starts up and it's like he never existed. I was really disappointed when they said Flash wouldn't appear in season 4, because I feel like having him in the show would give him the chance to build character, but I guess even the show staff don't care much for him.

I wouldn't say I hate or even really dislike him, personally. I just don't feel much for him. I want to like him, but anything interesting involving him has been too few and far between.

Expect him to be eventually forgotten :dash: . What's the most they've done with him in Friendship Games? His short with the nerdy guy and Sandalwood (the eco guy). His importance was low in the first place, but it has been progressively lower. Hell, his pony self appeared twice in S4 at least, but in S5 it was like he didn't even exist  :mustache:

I don't hate him. he just has barely any effect on the story but the creators shove him in anyway. he isn't even a comic relief. he's like spike almost: doesn't develop, can't develop, won't develop but the creators try and fail over and over again because they are stuck for ideas

• 3 weeks later...

Do i dislike him? yes, do i want to see more of him? absolutely.

The guy has potential, he COULD be a very good character if they developed him more, and i really wanna see that! I want to see what the staff will do with him in the future.

So while i DO consider him a bad character right now, i also am - for the lack of a better word - oddly intrigued by FS and what the future may reserve for him.

• 2 months later...