MyNameJeff

General How do you deal with offensive comments?

I take negative comments towards me or the things I enjoy very personally. What usually ends up happening depending on how extreme said comments were I'll either be depressed for the day or in some cases I cry.

Offensive comments and posts don't really bother me. If one is directed at me, I just brush it off or may chuckle at it. It's kinda hard to offend me.

I don't even report such stuff. 

• Brohoof 1

I take what ponies say to me extremely personal. I would try to talk back to them, but when it's no use, I would cut myself or throw myself against walls to get the bad thoughts out of my head. I just can't handle anypony judging me, life is already too much.

Edited by Midnight Solace
  • Brohoof 1
  • Sad 1

I seldom let it go if someone insults me. I usually make it my goal to make someone feel far worse than they make me feel. If they have a good reason to insult me, I can weigh their argument and benefit from it if I find they're correct. If someone insults me creatively, I can get a good laugh and admit to their mastery of words and sense of composition. But if someone is just being petty, stupid and pointlessly rude, I'll make them pay for it in one way or another.

The important thing is to realize that it's not really worth it to get involved in it , so just I tend to just ignore the rude comments.

Edited by R.D.Dash

Normally, unless it's really bad, I'll just not care.

Badges

Laugh at them and tell them that it is so amusing seeing how they pathetically try to roast me.

Type one long angry rant, leave the computer for a few minutes to cool off and then come back in shock to see what I just typed.

Badges

There isn't much that fazes me. Plus, it is usually coming from someone I have never met, so they have no impact on my life whatsoever. So I just ignore it.

Oscar Wilde said, "Give a man a mask and he will show you his true self". If that's true, most people are pretty awful...however, people who say awful things online most likely wouldn't say them in real life. I don't take them too seriously. Just consider that we've all said things we shouldn't have or didn't mean online. 

Edited by Olly

Badges

Anything on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt with anything personally about you. I believe anyone who tries to attack you personally online may lead a life where they just need to find some joy, even if it's just a little. That's why I try to find the good in everyone no matter what happens.

• Brohoof 1

Badges

Offensive comments put me to sleep, honestly. After learning through experience how fleeting drama is, how disingenuous some people are willing to be to get easy "respect points" on the internet, and how far some crazy people are willing to go to shut down whatever they deem offensive, I've just grown more numb to it than ever, even if it's aimed to insult me. I only really feel the need to respond to hateful vitriol if it concerns malicious lies being spread about me and/or someone I care about. Otherwise, the truth is far more important than crap on the internet. If I can't take insults and dislike for saying what I want to say on the internet, than that is as good of a sign as any that I don't really believe what I'm saying is the truth. :maud:

• Brohoof 1

Badges

I usually reply them back with accurate facts if I find any "plot hole" in their comment. If they insult me then I'll point it out to them that they're being immature. If they continue to pursue, I'ii report them.  

If it's just some idiot calling me an idiot, I just ignore it and move on with my life. That happens to me a lot (being an admin on a popular forum site), I used to try to be witty, but there's no point. They're the ones who waste their time trying to get some sort of negative reaction out of someone, so why should I give them such one?

If it's someone who is actually encouraging negative, violent or illegal behavior, then I'll try to stop it or report it. 

These days I doin't do much about offensive comments. I just don't care that much about them and it's not worth my time to argue. Sometimes I may react by flipping the bird but that's more of a reflex action than anything else.

If they said it to my face, I would kick their ass.

Badges