Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

sad Clarabelle

Buck Testa

There were pros and cons to living on a farm. One great aspect of it is that you have so much land to play on and enough space to make things like the crusaders clubhouse without getting in the way of anything. Downside is the chores that never seem to end for a young filly whom already has to allocate part of her day to doing her homework. Still, Applejack was pretty fair when it came to making sure she had time for her friends and having a social life outside of the family business. That didn't stop Applebloom from getting kind of huffy about it sometimes, but it measured her frustration none the less. 

Sweet apple acres wasn't just an Apple farm, although that is where the bulk of their money came from. They also raised "critters" as Applejack referred to them. Appleboom had asked why they kept critters in gated fences and barns, but her sister said things like it was for their safety since they weren't "capable enough" to take care of their own. It seemed like a reasonable enough answer, and she didn't really feel the need to question it much beyond that when she was younger. Her sister was literally the element of Honesty, how could a little sister NOT trust her at her word. 

An then she met Clarabelle

"Uh...Hi!" Applebloom had been cleaning for sale when the new voice came behind her, making her jump a bit. She turned in surprise to see a calf about her size with cute patches of brown and white fur and floppy ears. Applebloom smiled and greeted her

"well hello critter, how are you doing?"

The calf's face fell a bit "Clarabelle"

Applebloom raised her eyebrow "what?"

"My names Clarabelle Ms..." she looked like she was hurt about something 

"Well its nice to meet you Clarabelle, I'm Applebloom, I haven't seen critters your age walking about the farm before"

There was a mix of awkwardness and forced pleasantry in the little cows face as she started to back away from the filly. Something was making her really uncomfortable

"You...you're right, I...I should be heading back"

"wait!" Applebloom said, confusion etched on her face "Ya'll don't need to run off nowheres, I'm happy to have the company. Cleanin Apples can get borin as Hay"

"O...okay Ms Applebloom ma'am" Clarabelle said with some hesitation in her voice, sitting down next to the filly. Applebloom started stifling laughter 

"Ms Applebloom ma'am? Yer making me sound like am all grown up or somethin, Just call me Applebloom Clarabelle"

"S...sure thing Ms... I mean Applebloom" 

"So what brings you out here?" Applebloom asked as she got back to working on her apples, picking up the pace a bit since she had been interrupted and wanted to be done for supper at least. The Calf was quiet for a long moment before saying almost too quietly to hear

"I was looking for my Momma" 

"Lookin fer your Momma?" Applebloom felt a lump in the back of her throat for some reason, she didn't like the way the little cow had said that "did...did you check the barn or the fields? I've seen Critters around there a few times. I even help Mah sis round up some sheep the other day with Winona...hey whats wrong?" 

She had stopped her train of thought when she had heard sniffling and saw the little calf had been tearing up. She looked up at Applebloom, watery blue eyes meeting the Filly's own. The red maned filly dropped the apple she was working on and gave the young cow a hug. She didn't know why she was hugging the calf a hug, but it just felt like the right thing to do

"Hey, whoa there, whats got you so upset, I'm sure your mom's somewhere around here"

The calf was shaking, trembling, she seemed scared for some reason.

"Hey what are you doin out of your barn critter, you know you shouldn't be straying from the herd like that" called out Applejack as she trotted over with Winona who started barking at the young cow. Clarabelle backed away from Appleblooms hug, looking at the dog with nervous and bloodshot eyes as it led her back to the barn where the cows were kept. 

"Why were you hugging that Critter Applebloom?" Her big sister didn't sound mad, more perplexed than anything. 

"Clarabelle said she was lookin fer her momma and she was all teary eyed n'stuff so it just felt like the right thing to do"

Applejack gave a sigh and sat down, taking her sister in a on leg hug "I wouldn't worry about it sugar cube."

"But she said her momma is missing"

"Ah don't think so sugarcube, we had a shipment of them critters head out yesterday while ya'll were off at school"

Applebloom blinked and backed away from her sister to look her in the eyes "What do ya'll mean by shipment?"

AppleJack sighed and adjusted her hat, she looked like she was trying to find the right words on how to say this. "Applebloom, ah was going to wait a little longer to break this to you. I know it messed me up bad when Granny and our folks told me about it, but its just the way things have to be.  Ah'll tell ya the truth, ah didn't even want to be on the farm after they explained it ta me, Ah wanted to run away and be somepony else entirely"

She rubbed Appleblooms head 'but ah came back cause its mah responsibility to look after this farm and mah family, even if I don't like everythin about mah job." 

That lump in Appleblooms throat was growing by the second and her eyes were watering now. Something in her head was putting the pieces together but she didn't want to believe it.

"What do you mean by Shipment Applejack?"

"The Critters... they can't quite do the things we do Applebloom. Their hooves can't pick up things and they aren't blessed with magic like we are. They think and talk, but they can't look after themselves like us ponies can. That's why we made a deal with them hundreds of years before either of us were born. They would give us what they can in exchange for shelter and food and protection from the feral creatures that would want to wipe them all out for a snack. That's why we get things like Wool and milk from the critters, ya see?"

the filly nodded, feeling a tear falling off her face, the pieces were falling into place "Where's Clarabelles momma Applejack?"

Applejack Looked away and continued "Its not a cheap thing to take care of critters Applebloom. In order for it to be worthwhile, they need to pull their own weight and produce things for us to sell. That is what we give them food and protection and shelter for"

"WHERE IS CLARABELLE'S MOMMA APPLEJACK!?" Applebloom's voice cracked as she yelled it

"When their milk dries up, or their wool isn't like it used to be, they have to give their last payment for the long and productive life they wouldn't of had on their own. We don't usually have critters young'ns miss them too bad cause they are grown before their last corral, this critter must of had a calf pretty late in life" 

"Last Corral? What are you sayin Applejack?" 

the farm pony looked down at her sister and gave a sad smile "SugarCube... Ah think you know what ah'm sayin now"

"But... but ya'll can't take Clarabelle's momma away Applejack, she's feel all hurt and lonely fer a long time, ya'll know that better than anyone"

Applejack took her sister in an embrace, and the gates holding back her emotions in her little body broke as she started crying 

"Shh... Ah know... its just the way of the agreement between the critters and Ponies. They live a good and safe life with us, and then they go on the last Corral. Its...not fair...ah get that...but its the way things gotta be..." 

They hugged, and Applejack started to mumble a tune she remembered her own Daddy singing when she was a filly, holding her there until applebloom had tuckered herself out with her own tears

"as ah was walking one mornin for pleasure

ah spied a cow puncher roamin along

his hat was thrown back and his spurs were a jangling

and as he approached he was singin this song

woopie ti yay yo, get along little doggies

its ya'll misfortune and none of my own

woopie ti yay yo, get along little doggies

you know that Wyoming will be your new home"

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...