Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Phrases That Don't ACTUALLY Make Any Sense/Aren't Helpful

I got another one. Walk it off. I'm friggen disabled. I have a bat, I'll make you a gimp, too. Then you can walk it off, ass.

reminds self , never to tell troblems to break a leg o_o 

OT:

Break a leg

why would you wish someone luck by hoping they break their legs? O-O

• Brohoof 1

reminds self , never to tell troblems to break a leg o_o 

OT:

Break a leg

why would you wish someone luck by hoping they break their legs? O-O

I'm talking to my mother in law. It makes me grumpy.

That one can be explained, actually. In theater, it's bad luck to wish someone good luck, so they say break a leg. While it's not a good explanation, it is an explanation none the less. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Brohoof 1

I got another one. Walk it off. I'm friggen disabled. I have a bat, I'll make you a gimp, too. Then you can walk it off, ass.

You. I like you.

I prefer 'What doesn't kill you makes you stranger.' Still not completely true, but that's how it usually works for me.

'Too bad'. I hate this. Yes, it is too bad, so why don't you do something about it?!

Edited by You Heard Nothing
  • Brohoof 1

may aswell just use some quotes from gradeAunderA's vid

"if you cant do the time, don't do the crime"

what if i can do the time...

"live each day like it's the last"

I would kill a whole bunch of people if it was my last day...

"what you can't hear doesn't hurt you"

stealth ninjas.

yeah. that's all I can be bothered to write.

• Brohoof 1

"It's just in your head!" in reference to mental illness. Like, yes, my illness is in my head. That's where my brain is, which is the affected organ. Great job, you know some basic human anatomy!

"Oh, so you're taken" - No, I'm not "taken". I'm polyamorous, and you shouldn't be presuming otherwise and insisting that I have to identify with your monogamy. Also I'm not my partner's property... This one's a bit different, because I don't have a problem with other people saying it about each other, just don't say it about me.

"Boys will be boys" - No, boys will be held accountable for their actions just like girls are. Gender is not a free pass to be mean in any way, or to get out of learning basic manners.

"Grow a pair!/Man up!" - Counting them as basically the same thing. I prefer to woman up, like the strong independent woman I am. Men aren't stronger than women, and I'm strong as hell just the way I am.

I could list so many more. Of course a lot of them have slurs and other foul language in them that I don't particularly care to type out, so I will not litter this thread with profane language

• Brohoof 2

George Carlin had a lot to say on this very subject.  I'll borrow one of his.  In fact, I'll borrow the relevant chunk of his routine:

"It's the quiet ones you gotta watch.  You know that one, eh?  Every time you see a story about a serial killer on TV, what do they do?  They bring on the neighbor.  And the neighbor says, 'Well, he was always very quiet.'  And someone in the room says, 'It's the quiet ones you gotta watch.'  This sounds to me like a very dangerous assumption.  I will bet you anything that while you're watching a quiet one, a noisy one will f****** kill you!"

- George Carlin, one of the most perfect comedians who ever lived

• Brohoof 2

Jumping the gun. I mean, who would ever want to jump over a gun?

Screwed the pooch. Well, Uhh... I think you get the idea.

Jumping the gun refers to starting running in a race before the starting gun fires.

"Stop being so sensitive!". Now, this doesn't refer to people's personal opinions of me (that I could honestly not give any valuable attention to), but more so to my reactions to certain situations/people's feelings and needs. I know that for some people showing sensitivity is a "weakness" or a bit taboo, but I'm a freakin' EMPATH, which means I literally feel everything. Even a shift in someone's mood can throw me into a depressive state if I let it.  So telling me to just "stop being sensitive" is stupid. It's probably just gonna make me feel sorry for you. Thus putting me in even more of a bad mood.

• Brohoof 1

Any kind of over-investment into metaphors when a legitimate explanation would actually yield results instead of speculation and guessing n checking and ponderance.

• Brohoof 1

When I was a kid, I was really annoyed by the phrase, "Anything is possible," because I tended to take everything literally.  

"don't count your chickens before they hatch"  who even has chickens that they would count?

"raining cats and dogs"  since when were animals used as a method to determine how hardly something is happening?

Oh boy, there was a Key and Peele skit about this...

I just watched the skit. That was funny! 

Edited by ChB

"Why are you so quiet?" Is one of the dumber phrases I get. It's like I should go around saying hello to every bypasser (now who actually does that?), haha. "I'm sorry" is usually next in line because it's more of a habitual phrase rather than a meaningful, genuine apology.

• Brohoof 2

* when you appear to be looking miserable or something and someone says "cheer up, might never happen".

* this phrase has always bothered me. if you're down and worried about something negative then sure, i can understand it, but if you're feeling down and hoping something WOULD happen, how is that phrase helpful?

* i get that it's just a "chin up!" kind of thing, but really, it's always irked me.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow," - Okay, let me go and party hard until I pass out and wake up in the hospital two weeks later, then maybe commit some crimes that will make me end up in jail for a long time! Yeah...I think I'll pass.

"Grow up!" - This quote just makes me want to go to that person's face and hit them with a dose of common sense. Some people are afraid of change, some people don't want to grow up yet and be themselves. Saying this to someone is like telling them to conform to the "norm" and become like everyone else.

• Brohoof 2