Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Phrases That Don't ACTUALLY Make Any Sense/Aren't Helpful

37 minutes ago, Bas said:

I do thing this is more about cautiousness. There are tons of bad things that could happen, and even if it is unlikely to get hit by a car when blindly crossing the street doesn't equal to you shouldn't watch out.

Yeah, I can agree with that, it's just that this phrase is not the best way to discourage people from dangerous actions, and is usually used negatively to encourage things like gambling, paying for lottery tickets, or promoting pseudoscience (fortune telling being a big one). It's often used to dismiss legitimate concerns as well. 

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Sherbert MGS said:

la spaghetti ç'est en la spaghetti et ç'est en la sœur

(the spagetti is in the spagetti and is in the sister)

What is that intended to mean?

• Brohoof 1

"In my honest opinion(IMHO)" I get it that it suppose to be modest but it always leave this strange awkwardness every time I read that.. like yeah I get it you're being honest, you don't need to state it. :bea: Otherwise, you wouldn't say anything if you're lying.

• Brohoof 2

- “Give it time” Doing this without action just prolongs your suffering. I’ve tried it and learned that you can’t always wait on everything to change the way you want it to.

- “Piece of cake/easy as pie” Depending on your skill level, baking can actually be difficult. Also, it just annoys me due to being so overused.

• Brohoof 1

On 4/10/2019 at 12:36 PM, Lucky Bolt said:

"Money can't buy happiness." 

Um...yes it can. My happiness is sitting pretty in my driveway. :wub:

Well, money can't buy happiness, but I rather cry in a Ferrari than on a bicycle :catface:

"Customer is always right." No, they aren't, in fact, they are usually wrong, and the person selling you a thing most likely knows more about it since it's their job. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
"Respect your elders"

Why? What have they ever done for me? And most of the time instead of wise like they are in media, they're just senile and dumb and don't even half remember anything. Not to mention slow, weak, and helpless. I think you mean "Pity" not respect...If they're respectable as a person then fine sure I'll show them respect. But they'll have to prove that they're worthy of it first. I'm not going to let some stupid old fart or hag who's ass I could easily kick in a fight push me around. If you want to be respected you should have to earn it. I don't discriminate. Young, old, male, female. They're all the same. Unless of course this person is in a position of power/authority over me like a landlord, an apartment manager or a police officer etc. then yeah I will unconditionally show them respect in that case...
  • Brohoof 1

"It's not about winning or losing. It's about having fun."

Most people would rather win than lose. It's just human nature. When was the last time you met someone who still kept playing the same game even though they could never get a single win in? I'm not saying people should give up. I'm just saying if you play the same game against someone over and over again and always lose you're gonna get sick and tired of it eventually.

"Don't worry about it"

Worry is not an exactly fully controllable emotion for many people, and sadness/anxiety is not something that can be fixed by "just smiling" or being told to "not worry about it."

• Brohoof 1

"Because I said so."- Now, as a person about to move out of the house the year after next (finishing up community college before transferring to a university) I hear this phrase from my parents A LOT. 

Sometimes I think it's an excuse to cover up any possible reasons that they did say that. It's just mostly annoying, because it makes me sound like I'm "just being sassy" and "should stop acting like that." 

• Brohoof 1

"Accidents happen" Yeah, way to brush off an actual problem or incident that's really bad

"For no reason" Most things don't happen for no reason, people always have motives

"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" Sometimes people have to be called out if they're pricks. It doesn't matter if they're happy, if they're hurting people without realising it, something needs to be said.

9 hours ago, Asbel Lhant said:
"Respect your elders"

Why? What have they ever done for me? And most of the time instead of wise like they are in media, they're just senile and dumb and don't even half remember anything. Not to mention slow, weak, and helpless. I think you mean "Pity" not respect...If they're respectable as a person then fine sure I'll show them respect. But they'll have to prove that they're worthy of it first. I'm not going to let some stupid old fart or hag who's ass I could easily kick in a fight push me around. If you want to be respected you should have to earn it. I don't discriminate. Young, old, male, female. They're all the same. Unless of course this person is in a position of power/authority over me like a landlord, an apartment manager or a police officer etc. then yeah I will unconditionally show them respect in that case...

Wowsers you got some impossibly high standards there bucko

"Most of what you said is irrelevant to the discussion. Therefore the rest of everything you said so far is irrelevant throughout this discussion."

How is most of what I said deemed irrelevant to the discussion? Can you explain and provide points on your end for how most of my points are irrelevant to the discussion? You won't explain? You're just gonna leave me hanging here? So basically your point of deeming most of what I said being irrelevant is by you making an argument from fallacy (argumentum ad logicum) against me. Or how I'd like to personally call it The Irrelevant Fallacy where a person claims that a point you make is irrelevant to the discussion, but doesn't go on the details at all to help the person understand why is it irrelevant. How is this helpful? Typical shitshow in debates.

"You worry too much"

Worrying is one of the ways people show that they care. Especially if you just gave them bad news or you're going through something. If someone is never worried about you no matter what you tell them then chances are they aren't really your friend and don't care about you. Would you prefer for your friend to not ever check on you or ask how you're doing? No I didn't think so...

"Fortune favors the bold"

Not always true. You ever tried walking up to a woman and telling her she has great squeezable looking boobies that you'd love to have a feel of or a fine ass that you'd love to smack? Cause I’m pretty confident you’d be rewarded with a slap to the face...Though it would of course depend on who the woman was and how close you were with them.

"Don't assume"

I hate this one with a passion...It's one of my biggest pet peeves when people play this fucking card...I mean how can someone not do this at times? Especially when they've been betrayed by 99% of the people they've known in life...

"Fight fire with fire"

If my house is on fire I'm not going to use a flamethrower or a blow torch on it. I'm going to use a water hose or fire extinguisher on it like a sane person...

"The Devil made me do it!"

No. The Devil didn't make you do shit. You chose to on your own.

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"

I suppose this can be true. Like if that person was completely in love with you or something. But usually all it does is cause you and that person to drift apart and them to replace you like you're yesterday's news.

"Misery loves company"

This is usually true but some people are loners by nature. And there are a lot of people who like to be left alone when they're upset.

"If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all."

No if I keep something bottled up I can feel it poisoning me. Seriously, doing that is as fucking toxic as Hell...

"Just be yourself"

Where do I even begin with this one...

"Believe in yourself"

No. Believing you can win doesn't mean jackshit. It does nothing to help your chances of winning. Believe me I know from personal experience...

• Brohoof 1