Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Something I noticed regarding Transgender

Solid

I've talked to several people who identified themselves as transgender, both online and in real life. Most of them are really nice people, but some of them seemed to be really sensitive around topics associated with transgender (maybe due to negativity from some people?). So, if you are someone who knows a bit about the subject, feel free to reply.

I noticed that there seems be significantly more Male to Female transgender individuals than Female to Male. I know I have not talked to every single transgender on this planet so this could end up as an inaccurate generalization, but this is from my experience both online and in real life. Any thoughts?

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I've noticed that as well, but like you, I'm not sure if it's even accurate in the first place. Assuming (for the sake of argument) that it is true, than the obvious answer - that the female gender is inherently more appealing to most people than the male gender - probably isn't the correct one. Nobody chooses to be transgender; it's an inherent property of your identity. It helps to differentiate between "sex" and "gender", with sex referring to being assigned male or female at birth, and gender referring to your identity (whether that's male, female, genderfluid, or something else that I'm too lazy to list here). To put it another way, your body defines your sex, but your brain defines your gender. So regardless of what some people would try to tell you, you don't just choose your gender.

Anyway, with that explanation debunked, you're probably wondering what my explanation is. Well, I'm no scientist, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's probably just some quirk of human neurochemistry, or possibly some kind of sex-linked genetic trait (like how tabby cats are mostly male, due to the genes for that fur pattern being recessive and linked to the X chromosome). Like a lot of things, it's probably way more complicated than that, and I certainly don't have all the answers, but a biological explanation seems the most likely to me.

• Brohoof 2

The difference may not be as you would originally anticipate, simply because of media coverage/sampling bias/etc etc. Testosterone is a more potent hormone in comparison to oestrogen, meaning that FtM transgenders can 'blend in' much quicker to society than a MtF.

but that's just my thoughts.

well, if you're talking about Mtf being sensitive about the subject, it's because there's generally much more stigma attached to males who are transgender and gay males than gay/bi/trans females. Alot of that comes from other males, though. I don't see girls harassing guys for that. But there's still this aged, lingering idea (in the west at least) that guys should be as masculine as possible, and if you aren't, you're a freak etc. 

I think Male to Female and Female to Male are actually roughly even, but it's harder to recognize you're female to male. How do you know you just want to be a boy because they have it better or that you're actually a tomboy? I think a lot of FtM transgender people don't realize that they're transgender. Either that our they are less likely to come out because they are less likely to be taken seriously. They're accused of just wanting to be a boy because being a girl sucks. MtF transgender people appear a lot more popular, but I seriously doubt that is actually the case. 

Also, I have met some terrible transgender people. Some of them are friendly, some of them are meh, and some of them are complete jerks. Some are transphobic (to those who aren't on the gender binary) while others are homophobic and/or biphobic. Some think you have to behave a certain way, some will judge you if you are a a masculine transwoman or a feminine transman. 

Every group has good, average, and bad people. Minority groups are no exception. 

I'm a transgender man. 

• Brohoof 3

I have noticed this trend as well, and I have a theory; I believe it's because all human embryos begin as female, and if they're going to be male, they change to that at the right developmental stage.  I believe that if an anomaly occurs during this process, it's probably more likely that an embryo will retain the female brain chemistry, but change to the male genitalia, rather than vice versa.  It's just my guess, but I think it's a plausible and sound theory.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
(edited)

You're actually right statistically speaking as in numbers ratio mtf outweigh ftm by double really. Therefore, for every ftm there are around two or more mtf. I have heard theories as to why this would be and most of which are that generally speaking society is not as kind towards men as it is to women. While I believe they also detransition more then mtf again why I believe that perhaps it might be because for a female to become male it is generally speaking more easy for them to pass as that gender. Though they then go from people holding doors for them to well having it shut on your face haha.

While mtf have a harder time to pass most of them, in a sense a ftm can transition without ever actually transitioning. Meanwhile for most mtf they have to do more things really. Is my theory, that in a sense ftm can more easily transition by simply having that gender clothing and yeah while say a mtf would do only that they would be putting their life on the line and let's be honest here. Transgender people often do put their lifes on the line and if you live in a naive worldview that trans people don't get attacked and killed then you simply don't hear about it. Doesn't matter where you live trans people are often targeted by violence and unless they are armed there is very little they can do to protect themselves. 

So this brings the question of well what gender dysphoria are you experiencing not every one experiences same gender dysphoria as the next person. My theory they simply realize that life for them is in many ways better as females while identifying as males as they can easily pass as males while for a mtf they can not all really pass. Those of course who can probably will choose to wait with transitioning as they'll feel less dysphoria if that makes any sense.

I realize a lot of this is controversial but keep in mind this is my opinion I by no meams am saying that ftm don't experience the same gender dysphoria as a mtf. My only point here is that life in many ways is better for females then males. That for a ftm to pass as male is easier while a mtf is more difficult for most. Which would explain why more transition mtf while more ftm could decide to live life as they do. Of course as I say this you can probably hear that what I'm saying is in fact there is as many ftm as there mtf yes. That is my belief, yet why there would be more mtf transitioning rather then ftm is I believe explained in my text or my theory.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 3/12/2016 at 5:48 PM, Solid said:

I've talked to several people who identified themselves as transgender, both online and in real life. Most of them are really nice people, but some of them seemed to be really sensitive around topics associated with transgender (maybe due to negativity from some people?). So, if you are someone who knows a bit about the subject, feel free to reply.

I noticed that there seems be significantly more Male to Female transgender individuals than Female to Male. I know I have not talked to every single transgender on this planet so this could end up as an inaccurate generalization, but this is from my experience both online and in real life. Any thoughts?

Yeah there are some snowflakes in our group of misgendered misfits. I'm not trans, but I am non-binary so I count for this I suppose. Anyways, personally I'm in the group where being referred to as a "he" instead of a "they" doesn't really bother me. I appear more like a man than a woman (though if I really took care of my body like I feel I should then I probably would confuse more people than I have in the past), and I also am indeed male by sex, so I'd expect that anyways.

I think this is the case from my experiences as well interacting with the LGBT community at large. I've also noticed a trend of there being a lot of lesbian MtFs, which I suppose is odd. There's also noticeable trends of the autistic and furry communities both having more transgenders and both have more male than female members.

Edited by Dustlicious

On 3/13/2016 at 12:48 AM, Solid said:

It is a sensitive and difficult topic to discuss. I had one chance to befriend a transgender IRL, and while we had a great time talking for hours, about all kinds of things, including MLP, I never heard from her again. I am 100% sure it wasn't because I said or did something. It is just, very difficult to be transgender I believe! :o

I have also noticed the ratio, and wonder why that seems to be the case?

• Brohoof 1

Speaking as a male to female here.

The only stuff I get sensitive about is the more personal stuff, rather than social aspects of it all.

I'm always patient when it comes to the more social stuff, seeing that people have various different views on the subject or aren't familiar with it. I find it doesn't pay to get upset or confrontational. I feel I have a better chance of my circumstances being accepted if I'm diplomatic, calm and friendly about my transition. I leave the haters to hate. I happily forgive any unintentional misinterpretations. And I'm polite and open to those who find the whole subject new to them and want to learn more. Being militant or angry about it doesn't get a person anywhere. It only encourages negative feelings towards themself and also unfairly cast a shadow on those who are more casual and passive about their transitions.

Like I said, I'm only sensitive about the more personal stuff. Things like all the things that I've missed out on in the past while growing up due to being trapped as the wrong gender. Or stuff in the present where I'm still unable to do certain things I want because of the more clandestine approach I've taken with my transition. Then of course things that I will never be able to do naturally, like have children. Those sorts of things do hurt at a very personal level. But even then, if someone accidentally treads in that territory and says something that does hurt. I still remain civil. But not to the point where I'm a door mat. Afterall, manners still apply regardless of subject.

I can't really speak for statistics and such or specific groups in regards to sensitivity though.

For all intents and purposes though. I'm female. After my transition has been completed. The whole transgender thing will be nothing more than a detail of the past. Much like a broken leg or a cold. Sure it will come up every now and then. But only as a historical fact that it was once something I dealt with. Not a definer of who I am. Basically, my transitioning is just a cure for a rather awkward ailment.

• Brohoof 3

Why do more people tend to notice MTFs instead of FTMs?  Mostly toxic masculinity imo...

Most FTMs can scoot by without being noticed if they want to "blend in" since it's more accepted to want to be a guy than it is a masculine presenting person wanting to be a woman.  I mean, how many jokes in media have you seen when the punchline is "lol, man in dress" yet you barely see anything joking about "lol, woman in pants and short hair"?  Not very many, sure they're still around but not as frequently.  I'm ftm, so my view on the subject might be biased.  Someone might look at a feminine body type wearing more masculine clothing but most people dismiss it as some woman who's being a "tomboy" but when a masculine figure wears something remotely feminine, you suddenly hear talk of "perverting the youth", "Man in dress wants to just be allowed to go into the women's restroom to assault women and girls!!" and other transphobic nonsense.  Sometimes, people might complain about ftms or "tomboys" being in more feminine spaces, one instance I could think of was a butch woman who had officers called on her when she entered the women's restroom with her friends.  Imagine two male officers trying to drag a woman out of the women's restroom even though her friends are yelling at them to leave and that she's a woman?  She was a cis woman yet she was STILL treated like that because of how she was presenting, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Our rigid definition of each sex and how people born into those sexes must act or present themselves is absolutely ridiculous and archaic.  We need to start from the foundation up and make something that works for everyone instead of harming so many in our societies.  Fix what is so obviously broken.

Anyways, I tend to get some stuff from people, some slurs but not as often as I worried about, mostly because I'm a masculine presenting person yet have long hair but beyond that I normally go into men's specific rooms anyways without too many odd looks and I'm good, the hair still seems to confuse people but it's a cultural thing for me so I refuse to get it cut short again.

That's just my guess as to why it seems like there're more MTFs than FTMs, it's more noticeable for a trans woman to want to wear a dress and makeup or express their femininity in anyway while for trans men, it's not, unless he expresses his identity to be a little too feminine sometimes like potentially still wearing makeup, dresses, what have you.

Also, keep in mind that trans people are still people, I think some of us can be very kind yet some of us can be exceptionally grumpy, we're just like any other group of people.  We're not all perfect little angels.  But please understand that depending on where people are on their transitioning path, some things WILL trigger some sort of anxiety in themselves and they will feel the need to defend themselves.  I still get triggered when I have to use my birth name and be referred to as "she" by people, do you honestly think I should just deal with it and let them continue making that mistake?  I mean, people are STILL being murdered for being trans in the world, keep that in mind.  We simply wish to live our lives the way we want to, isn't that what anyone else wants?  Each fellow trans person I've met has gone through their transition differently, there really isn't one right way to go about it.  Everyone'll react differently to hormones, at differing times in their lives and some trans people don't even want to take hormones, which is perfectly valid.  Just please be patient with people and act with understanding and compassion.  Also respect pronouns!!!  If someone's appearance confuses you, don't assume he/she pronouns for their sake, assume They/Them pronouns until you can learn what their pronouns are.  It ain't that hard to do once you practice it!