Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Any words/terms that the Internet has made you hate?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Cringe

Slay

Lit

Goals (as in "relationship goals" and whatnot)

Shook

Bae

Misogynist

Fascist

Any word ending in -phobe

Squad

Dat

Lel

Yas

WYD

Homeslice

Af

Ballin'

Shorty or shawty

KYS

Nut (when used as a verb)

Oh, and of course these are phrases rather than individual words but I hate the whole "delete your account" thing, the "send nudes" meme, "I'm literally shaking," and "literally Hitler."

Edited by Prospekt

(edited)

SJW-  It has become "anybody who you think is too sensitive about something." Sensitivity can be justified in some cases you know...

Autistic- Maybe you should donate to Autism Speaks sometime since you hate autism so much)? Seriously it's stupid, immature, ignorant, and completely ridiculous the way it's used. It offends me because I believe that I have the condition (have no means of going to an actual professional about it though.)

Harambe- That meme should NEVER HAVE EXISTED. It was NEVER FUNNY. Like seriously. NEVER.

Gay- Just as immature as thinking Autism is funny, and I find the usage of it more than worth calling offensive. It offends me pretty directly anyways.

Triggered- You have gained 1 Sadistic Point for taking pleasure in other people's infuriation with your stupidity! CONGRATULATIONS! Nobody likes you.

KYS- Suicide is not funny... Like seriously, your sense of humor is really messed up if that's funny to you. Like you need to go to a psychiatrist.

Edited by TwillyFSniper
  • Brohoof 1

Nah. I only detest buzzwords when someone uses them to sound more intelligent, or to make an argument sound more pleasing to the audience.

I do chuckle a little when one side turns a word into a weapon of sorts against the opposition, and I giggle even more loudly when I suspect they assume it's a novel concept. It's like buzzword volleyball. The word 'triggered' fits this perfectly.

Silly people treating a word like it is a bauble from Tiffany's when it's really a dime store accessory that everyone wears just to be the cool kid.

• Brohoof 1

Okay, so, I have not read into this thread any further than your comment, so if anyone else has replied to you in the same manner as I am going to, sorry. But, I do doubt that will be the case.

I do agree that the false joking of commenting that song name is dumb.  BUT.  The point of me replying to you is this: I want you, and everyone else, to know that Finland's 2017 New Year's celebration *LITERALLY* opened with Darude - Sandstorm... AND it was the fucking best thing ever, I swear on my life.

There's no way to embed the video here so you'll just have to open this link in a new tab:

https://areena.yle.fi/1-3909818

I promise, it's safe and legit, and worth watching.  Ya'll might have thought that the song was old and out-dated, but you'll be proven wrong by Finland.

~ Miles

Don't get me wrong -- I love the song itself; just not the meme.

(edited)

"Fake news"

This used to be a legitimate term referring to outlets that published knowingly false and unverified stories for the ad money and traffic. Now it's used by alt-righters and Trump himself anytime they whine about or pick fights with news organizations they don't agree with. It's gotten so bad that even FOX News had to stand up for CNN amidst every ideologically blinded pundit crawling back to that safe space because they can't hear anything bad about the golden boy, although to be fair CNN has turned into the Washington version of TMZ.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58b0f48be4b060480e083d19

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

"Fake news"

This used to be a legitimate term referring to outlets that published knowingly false and unverified stories for the ad money and traffic. Now it's used by alt-righters and Trump himself anytime they whine about or pick fights with news organizations they don't agree with. It's gotten so bad that even FOX News had to stand up for CNN amidst every ideologically blinded pundit crawling back to that safe space because they can't hear anything bad about the golden boy, although to be fair CNN has turned into the Washington version of TMZ.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58b0f48be4b060480e083d19

Yep -- CNN, MSNBC, etc., have certainly shot themselves in the foot recently.

• Brohoof 1

"It''s just a joke."  

Similarly to "It's just a prank, bro", this phrase is used by obnoxious idiots who get ticked off when they face consequences for doing stupid things.

Like they assume just because of freedom of speech they get to say whatever hateful bigoted things that they want, and can get away by saying "it was just a joke".

But the one thing the forget is that freedom of speech isn't freedom of consequences, and that we can use our freedom of speech to criticize them for expressing their bigoted viewpoints.

• Brohoof 1

I'll admit, "lewd" is getting old. I don't know how the term became so prominent. I didn't mind it previously, but I'm tired of seeing it nowadays.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2017 at 11:25 PM, Envy said:

Also, I could go with the concepts of "troll" and "flaming/flamewar" which is kind of funny because as far as I know these terms as they are defined online is internet in origin. These words have completely and totally lost their meaning. "Troll" used to refer to a member that 100% intentionally went out of their way to get under the skins of others. Nowadays 'Troll' is thrown at members who have disagreeable opinions, no matter how genuine and respectfully they are stating them. "Flaming/Flamewar" at one point referred to really mean arguments. At the very least they had to have name-calling and stuff like "Go to hell". Now simple disagreements on forums that have no trace of name-calling, or anything but are strong disagreements are referred to as "flamewars". 

Well, what about people who get mistaken for trolls?  That's happened to me, before...

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, SpongeBobsLittlePony said:

Well, what about people who get mistaken for trolls?  That's happened to me, before...

That's the thing, the old usage of the term referred specifically to people who were both blatantly and intentionally getting under people's skin. So being mistaken for one wouldn't really happen.

Nowadays, 'troll' is just name-calling used by people who don't like people with opinions contrary to their's existing.

3 hours ago, Envy said:

That's the thing, the old usage of the term referred specifically to people who were both blatantly and intentionally getting under people's skin. So being mistaken for one wouldn't really happen.

Nowadays, 'troll' is just name-calling used by people who don't like people with opinions contrary to their's existing.

Well, I mean I sort of, kind of, understand why they may have thought that I was a troll...

However, I wasn't trolling, because, it was completely unintentional!

Edited by SpongeBobsLittlePony
  • Brohoof 1

I was in school a week ago and I wanted to go outside of the classroom because it had better internet than inside. So I just said "I'll be outside"

Then the guy who's sitting in front of me, thought very hard and well for a creative and original joke. His head had reached his full potential in his future life and a comedian, and his whole life lead up to this one joke of a reply to my statement. 

He clenched his fists, tried to keep his mouth shut but he couldn't resist. He had a squiggly smile because of this one, oozing opportunity for the most hilarious joke in the history of mankind.

He opened his mouth and said

"CASH ME OUTSIDE HOWBOW DAH?!?!"

No one laughed. I continued to walk outside.

Edited by FlootahBabby

Cisgender

Misogynist

Trump (I can't use the word without getting a snide comment about the current POTUS.)

"Alternative Facts"

"Fake News" - Now people use it inappropriately. The term has lost its intended meaning.

Harambe - Anybody who still makes jokes about the gorilla is still stuck in 2016.

I also have to mention Special Snowflake for being an obnoxious buzzword thrown around by idiotic right wingers who are ticked off that you don't agree with their political views.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Beyond the nasty words like 'cringe', 'kys' etc...

'Amogus' and 'sus' drive me crazy. Seriously I can't go anywhere without seeing these words pasted over everywhere I look. No, I DON'T care what happens when the impostor is sus :yeahno:

'Soulless' tends to make me roll my eyes as well, it's generally thrown about like a buzzword at many modern movies, like CGI animated films and the live-action Disney remakes. It generally seems to have become a byword for most modern media trends people don't like. :bea:

Edited by Shadowmoth2011