Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Any words/terms that the Internet has made you hate?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

The following words have becoming increasingly negative in connotation to me (or the internet introduced these terms to me and I perceive them as negative):

-Misogyny (meaning lost)

-Patriarchy

-Social Justice

-Social Justice Warrior

-Politically correct

-Offended

-Feminism

-Tumblr

-Privilege

-Sexism (meaning lost)

-Racism (meaning lost)

-Other -isms (meaning lost)

-Whitesplaining

-Malesplaining

-Safe space

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 3

'it's a free country'

A term everyone uses as an excuse to do something shitty to another person, no one ever uses it when they do something good.

funny huh

That's probably because no one ever asks you to justify yourself if you do something nice.

"Straw man argument."  I know how it's meant to be used, but sometimes, on da internet, it's seemingly resorted to because someone can't think of any other way to respond to your argument.  Saying, "It's a straw man argument," is, at times, a straw man argument in and of itself.  Because: Rather than engaging me and addressing what I've actually said, you just threw out the most convenient curve ball possible and treated it as though my argument died a hideous, fiery death.  This immediately makes you guilty of exactly the thing you're accusing me of doing.  I thought my point was valid.  I saw the logic; just 'cause you didn't doesn't mean it wasn't there.  You're lazy.  You're a lazy arguer.  I don't think I'm going to bother arguing with you anymore.  I'm taking my argument ball and going home.

The irony is: The first time I even heard "issa strawed men" was shortly after I joined here, and it was during a back-and-forth wherein I was arguing the significance of filly Rainbow's first Sonic Rainboom.  I used an analogy pointing to the inherent gravity of causality, and I got straw man'd.  I hope the guy who "refuted" me saw the season five finale. xD

Edited by Ziggy and Angelbaby
  • Brohoof 3

I really despise when people use ''cuck'' ''cancer'' ''autism'' and ''cringe'' to describe things that they don't like.

Like, why can't we use real words?

"Straw man argument."  I know how it's meant to be used, but sometimes, on da internet, it's seemingly resorted to because someone can't think of any other way to respond to your argument.  Saying, "It's a straw man argument," is, at times, a straw man argument in and of itself.  Because: Rather than engaging me and addressing what I've actually said, you just threw out the most convenient curve ball possible and treated it as though my argument died a hideous, fiery death.  This immediately makes you guilty of exactly the thing you're accusing me of doing.  I thought my point was valid.  I saw the logic; just 'cause you didn't doesn't mean it wasn't there.  You're lazy.  You're a lazy arguer.  I don't think I'm going to bother arguing with you anymore.  I'm taking my argument ball and going home.

The irony is: The first time I even heard "issa strawed men" was shortly after I joined here, and it was during a back-and-forth wherein I was arguing the significance of filly Rainbow's first Sonic Rainboom.  I used an analogy pointing to the inherent gravity of causality, and I got straw man'd.  I hope the guy who "refuted" me saw the season five finale. xD

It's not just the straw man, there are any number of named logical fallacies that people like to pull out, and the constant explanations required destroys the momentum of the discussion.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks to this, I've found out I'm not the only one getting sick of these 3 words.

Autism as an insult, it really has no meaning at this point. I also don't like it when people use autism as a shield whenever they behave like an asshole towards someone else, it also gives it less meaning (this is coming from someone with autism in case you're wondering).

Cringe, now has no meaning, sometimes it's clickbait (I'll be waiting for "It's Just a Prank Bro Cringe In the Hood GONE WRONG! GONE SEXUAL!"). Also, as far as the cringe videos go (mostly the brony and furry ones), I tend to think the comments are worse than the video. It's stuff like "we need a brony holocaust" that I can't stand. I know that most of them are probably trolling, the fact that there are some that are probably genuine is scary. And they also tend to invoke reverse Godwin's law in that regard.

SJW, it's actually kinda like "autistic", but difference is that this term had a meaning at some point. But now, as Jim Sterling put it, it pretty much means "person I disagree with".

Edited by Trixie Heartstrings
  • Brohoof 3

Thanks to this, I've found out I'm not the only one getting sick of these 3 words.

Autism as an insult, it really has no meaning at this point.

Cringe, now has no meaning, sometimes it's clickbait (I'll be waiting for "It's Just a Prank Bro Cringe In the Hood GONE WRONG! GONE SEXUAL!").

SJW, it's actually kinda like "autistic", but difference is that this term had a meaning at some point. But now, as Jim Sterling put it, it pretty much means "person I disagree with".

For me, Social Justice Warrior have one or multiple of these points (some of which overlap):

-Follows double standards

-Claims to be against discrimination when they themselves discriminate others

-Easily offended

-Automatically considers opinions of certain peoples invalid due to their background (using terms like whitesplaining or malesplaining unironically)

-Extremist views

-Has strong sense of entitlement

• Brohoof 5

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Well, I don't know that this 100% counts, but I really dislike how people (I'm just going to be honest here, particularly men, in gaming communities) throw around the word "rape" like it's a casual term to describe when things did not go their way in a video game or something.

Also, I could go with the concepts of "troll" and "flaming/flamewar" which is kind of funny because as far as I know these terms as they are defined online is internet in origin. These words have completely and totally lost their meaning. "Troll" used to refer to a member that 100% intentionally went out of their way to get under the skins of others. Nowadays 'Troll' is thrown at members who have disagreeable opinions, no matter how genuine and respectfully they are stating them. "Flaming/Flamewar" at one point referred to really mean arguments. At the very least they had to have name-calling and stuff like "Go to hell". Now simple disagreements on forums that have no trace of name-calling, or anything but are strong disagreements are referred to as "flamewars".

The dumbing down of both of those concepts actually bothers me a whole lot, because it really demonizes actual disagreements being discussed out, especially on issues like religion. because on any forum there are members who will say religion can not be discussed because it will turn into a "flamewar". As if. I'm not saying that those conversations can't go south and really mean things can't be said in those conversations (I've seen it. On this very forum, even), but what people label as a "flamewar" nowadays is nothing more than members disagreeing and arguing with each other. I'm not convinced they actually have seen the conversations go south, but just think these things can't be discussed because the very thought of them being discussed is offensive to them.

"Agenda". At this point you'd think everyone has an agenda. Like literally anytime someone makes a decision of any sort, you'll have morons yelling out "YOU'RE JUST FOLLOWING AN AGENDA"

• Brohoof 2

-On fleek (what does that even mean...?)

-Swerve (and what on earth does this mean?)

-Turnt

-Bae/Boo

-Triggered

• Brohoof 1

Things like "autist" that are used like an insult. Doesn't exactly feel great especially being one, but maybe I am just "triggered." I do take offense too easily.

Edited by Foxy Socks

"Darude - Sandstorm."

Can't ask anything anymore without getting that stupid, pointless response from some (failure of a) troll.

Okay, so, I have not read into this thread any further than your comment, so if anyone else has replied to you in the same manner as I am going to, sorry. But, I do doubt that will be the case.

I do agree that the false joking of commenting that song name is dumb.  BUT.  The point of me replying to you is this: I want you, and everyone else, to know that Finland's 2017 New Year's celebration *LITERALLY* opened with Darude - Sandstorm... AND it was the fucking best thing ever, I swear on my life.

There's no way to embed the video here so you'll just have to open this link in a new tab:

https://areena.yle.fi/1-3909818

I promise, it's safe and legit, and worth watching.  Ya'll might have thought that the song was old and out-dated, but you'll be proven wrong by Finland.

~ Miles

• Brohoof 1

"Hater" as the word lost its meaning and is often used for people who simply disagree or critisize, not actual keyboard warriors, who's vocabulary contains only of words like "b.tch, c..t" etc. 

Slightly related to internet, but stuff like "best deal" as for me by now it reeks with "I want to scam you deal". 

Overrated as this too has lost its meaning. Often used by people to describe things they don't like as if their taste is some kind of superiority for everyone to obey. 

Bae - it sounds simply ridiculous. 

Racism/fascism/tolerance etc. Learn what all those words mean before You try to use them in a debate, damnit. 

There is one internet word that I just can't stand and it has to do with it being used far often for my liking. Back during the days when the original NSider existed, a lot of users (including the NOA Mods/Admins) enjoyed using the word "woot" to the point where it became somewhat religious. I never understood the appeal behind it and every time I typed it or even spoke it out, I would just cringe because of how stupid it sounded to me.