How was the episode?  

204 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't care for it.
    • It was decent.
    • I liked it.
    • I FREAKIN' LOVED IT!!!! <3

Season 6, after the...interesting premier, looks very promising. Solid episode to kick it off. Every time Maud makes a return, I freaking love her. The only time I didn't like her was in her first appearance, but she's be great fun ever since with her dry humour and relationship with boulder. Rarity and pinkie were also very fun, with their over the top reactions and the way they worked together to get Maud's gift. Great lesson, great episode, maybe not one of my favourites. but I have nothing bad to say about it, at all

PS: really? the Twi-cane, the book from inspiration manifestation, the shark plush and smarty pants references? Amazing.

• Brohoof 3

This episode was pretty funny and awesome. Even though Pinkie and Rarity had some moments in other seasons, it's nice to have them get a centered episode for them, just like Rarity and Rainbow in season 5. It was also great to see Maud again and with all the moments she had in this episode, she's become a new favorite character of mine. I was surprised with some of the references when Rarity was showing Maud the gifts because I never expected they would show up at random and it was very well done. Though I do wonder, if that was a swap meet, where did those gift items come from to begin with? There were a lot of funny moments and my favorite would have to be Rarity impersonating Pinkie's reaction to getting Maud's gift. I especially liked how Maud was able to get Pinkie's canon back, and I wonder if Maud's stare is even more greater than Fluttershy's stare. All in all a very fun and enjoyable episode and I can't wait to see what's next in this season. :maud:   

• Brohoof 1

Oh gosh, Pinkie never fails to male me smile. Even when every day is crap. Loved her antics in this episode.

Random crazy mare banging on a shop door, drawing attention. Heehee.

So sweet she gave up her party cannon for Maude. Ma Au be she can borrow from EQG pinkie. She has two of em.

We REEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLYYYYY need more PinkIty episodes

Season 6, after the...interesting premier, looks very promising. Solid episode to kick it off. Every time Maud makes a return, I freaking love her. The only time I didn't like her was in her first appearance, but she's be great fun ever since with her dry humour and relationship with boulder. Rarity and pinkie were also very fun, with their over the top reactions and the way they worked together to get Maud's gift. Great lesson, great episode, maybe not one of my favourites. but I have nothing bad to say about it, at all

PS: really? the Twi-cane, the book from inspiration manifestation, the shark plush and smarty pants references? Amazing.

references!!!

Would've liked to see the fake element of magic tiara, but it was a good enough episode, so I won't complain

I absolutely adored this episode. I think it was like an easy and cute episode about love among family and friends, it was just pure comedy and cuteness to me. Rarity had to act up as the great and generous friend she's always been and Pinkie got to be Pinkie. <33 AND RETURN OF MAAAUD, she's always hilarious and a great character to have on screen. Lovely episode with my two absolute favorite ponies on the show, it totally cheered me up! 

• Brohoof 2

I could tell from this episode that the people working on it had a lot of fun with it, especially when you have three characters that work so well off of each other. As far as adapting a familiar story goes, it's great when you can inject new life into it through new characters.

It's easy to justify Pinkie's antics in this episode if you can think the way she does; she does tend to take friendships, family, and bonding events very seriously, to the point that it's expected that she'd try to flip half the town and be subjected to numerous noise complaints to 311 in the process. Maud's dry deadpan is what it always is, and what keeps it going is how Maud just never seems to give a damn; she always is who she is as everyone else is freaking out around her. It's the same reason Pinkie is likable, except for their polar opposite dispositions.

I also have to hand it to Tabitha St. Germain and Rarity for turning in one of her best voice performances in the series, right up there with "Suited for Success" in playing the full emotional range. In the course of the episode, Rarity plays up her drama queen tendencies, her generosity, friendliness and concern towards the Pies, and the excitement of finding her next shop location.

I'd give praise to the writers for livening up the dialogue and keeping the characters in character, the storyboard artists for setting up nicely-composed scenes, as well as the animators and timing for putting in some well-done visual expressions and some of the best dialogue in a while (save for a little exposition in the beginning).

I only have a little nitpick, and it's about the setting. Manehattan didn't really play much of a role here and this episode could logically have been set anywhere. To that end, I really appreciate the references to places like Rockefeller Center, the Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, and the now-closed FAO Schwartz, however I continue to get the impression that all these writers know about New York is what they see in popular TV and movies. Not a big deal, but as a New Yorker myself I'd find it very fun to be shown their work every once in a while by putting in more relevant references and take more advantage of the setting.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
On 2016-04-02 at 12:46 PM, Batbrony said:

Maudjestic: Majestic taken to a whole new level!

I was quite fascinated to discover Maud was an accomplished figure skater, considering the lack of water on the rock farm.  :nom:

On 2016-04-02 at 2:43 PM, Majora Mothra said:

Is that what book that was? How did they-

You know what? Nope, just nope. I don't want to even think about how they managed to get that book back. Nopenopenopenopenope!

( EDIT: Now I kind of do want to know how Twilight got the Inspiration Manifestation book back out of Spike. That sounds like it would be an amusing and perhaps a little gross tale to tell. XD )

As for the other stuff, I thought was amusing, though Smarty Pants bothered me a bit because I felt bad for Twilight. If I were Big Mac or Apple Bloom I would have done the courteous thing and asked if she wanted her favorite plush doll back before selling it to someone else.  :(

Overall, I liked the episode, but it's not one I see myself going out of my way to re-watch. The characters were done correctly, the structure of the plot was sound, and there was good use of the location. There's pretty much nothing I can complain about (other than Smarty Pants not being in Ponyville anymore) but the story is so straightforward that once you've seen it, that's pretty much it.

( EDIT: After some time now, I find this episode to be rather meh. And the resolution to getting Pinkie's cannon back isn't really in the spirit of FiM. I think I would enjoy this episode more if it starred Rarity by herself. She's really the best part of the episode. )

Personally, I think Maud works better when the rest of the Mane 6 are there to play off her stolid personality. Rarity turning all Pinkie Pie was pretty amusing, however!  :D (EDIT: This is definitely true!)

Edited by Truffles
New thoughts, fixed formatting.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I absolutely LOVED this episode ^-^ Not only did i get to see Maud and Pinkie again, but this time Rarity as well :D
After this episode, i believe I also like Rarity more and she's moved up a few slots in my "Favorite ponies list" :P

There are so many parts of this that I absolutely loved! and maybe 1 or 2 small things that i didn't enjoy so much..

Things i loved about the episode:
Gosh.. Where to I start?! The fact that it's an episode with Maud in it automatically makes it one of my favorite episodes xD
But some specific points i enjoyed? Okay, I'll make a little list (or a big list, because of how much i liked :please: )
- That part when Rarity did an impression of Pinkie Pie was absolutely HILARIOUS! :lol:

sig-4449201.jDnmO1w.gif

(Also, Silly background ponies, you're not meant to look directly at the camera xD)

- Seeing Maud and Pinkie again! :pinkie::maud:
- The plot is well written, being able to see the sights of Manehattan as well as
focusing on both Maud, Pinkie AND Rarity in the story is awesome and constructive..
- The relatable drama of trying to get the perfect gift for someone you care about..
- Maud being Maud :nom:
- Pinkie being Pinkie :pinkie:

- Maud moves super duper fast! I mean, that's like Pinkie..

But seeing Maud herself do it is funny xD and awesome!

Things i didn't like about the episode:
Well, there's not really much i don't like about t his episode apart from some small things..
- Maud seems a little TOO obsessed with rocks that usual.. I mean.. Saying tiles in a bathroom are made of "Nepheline cyanite"? As observant
as she is, i don't see why that should be the thing she mentions about the restaurant.. Why is that so important in choosing a restaurant anyway?
- Seeing Pinkie sad makes me sad :(

- The way they got the canon back was anti-climactic.. I REALLY wanted to see what Maud would do if he kept refusing..

- It makes you think "Why couldn't Rarity MAKE a Rock pouch for Maud?" But then you realize she'd need supplies

for that and she doesn't have them, plus her nearest boutique is far away so she couldn't possibly make it then..

- Pinkie was so rude in that piano scene.. Knocking over those 2 other ponies..

All in all, this episode was amazing! I can't wait for the next one ^-^ ... But, i have to because that's the way it works i guess xD

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 2

Pinkie brought a weapon to the statue, an important Equestrian landmark. Pinkie has committed a terrorism act in this episode!

That's exactly what I was thinking! LOL  Don't look now, here comes Homeland Security to throw her into Guantanamo for the rest of her life!

• Brohoof 2

I liked the episode, it was funny at some moments but as a lesser fan of Pinkie Pie or Rarity, not hyped about it. Maud Pie was really funny with that stare oh and her comments about rocks or the tiles make me chuckle, she's funny with that look. Best part - the one where she asked for the cannon back. I almost thought Pinkie was going to lose that cannon.

And yes since Season 5 had less of it, give more Fluttershy + others.

(edited)

This episode was a nice effort and brought me into a state of pure hapiness.

I don't understand why Pinkie is being targeted by every reviewer right now,

sure she could have been annoying to some of you, but you have to understand why she needed to do those actions!

She needed that pouch and the way she displayed it the Pinkie way dude!

I really liked the ending, Maud really said the things that truly mattered, that love is the true thing that stands in that whole gift swaping and not to give the best one, and I think that's the main message everyone should have seen from this piece of work!

I hope people will get me there.

I loved some of the humours in the episode, for instance that whole Pinkie impersonnation by Rarity and also the moment when Maud was displayed as a scary and opressive pony by Rarity to force the pony to give the cannon back when in reality she was all normal and with a normal face ^_^

Dude I mean, you could use her face to investigate criminals IRL! :icwudt:

Episode Grade: A-

Edited by Cosmic V0rtex

I wasn't really looking forward to this one for a number of reasons. First, I wanted to see more of Starlight and her friendship lessons, second I wasn't sure about an episode with just Pinkie and Rarity from the mane six, and third I'm not a Maud fan. I get why some really like her, but to me she's an uninteresting one-joke character - though admittedly she did make me laugh a few times here. One thing I'd like to ask is: is this the first episode with just Pinky and Rarity from the mane six? To be honest, I can't really remember these two characters interacting much in the past anyway, but then I've got a poor memory for past episodes.

Overall, I thought it was a below-average episode with a weak plot. But on the good side, there were a few funny moments.

Best moment: Rarity imitating Pinkie

Funniest line: "I'm gonna love it five-ever! That's even longer than four-ever."

This was a good episode. Nothing amazing, but enjoyable. The humour was great from Rarity, Pinkie and Maud, but I sometimes found the episode boring. Still very entertaining.

In my opinion though, I think the season has had a bit of an underwhelming start. I feel like there should be a bit more than what we're getting. But hey, nothing wrong with swapping adventure and drama with nice slice of life stuff. :)

It was funny, and Maud was great as ever, but the sentiment was kinda lost on me. Once you realize that it's just a one-sided take on "Gift of the Magi," you can kinda predict every beat.

Oh, and I'm all for Mad Men cameos, but I think the animators should draw some new characters. Still seeing tons of Joan Harris, and not a single Pete Campbell. :(

This episode was a lot of fun! I absolutely loved the interaction between all 3 characters! Even though Maud has a very deadpan personality, you can tell she really does care for her sister and is very appreciative of what she went through for her which made the final scenes of the episode very sweet and why I love her character so much.

(edited)

I almost saw Pinkie end up in jail for scandalization and Rarity has to make a bail. The police pony surely doesn't often have to deal with crazy ponies in broad daylight. xD

It was better than many episodes from season 5, so i'm pleased.

Edited by Swifty

Howdy all!

Gotta say this episode was pretty good.

Andrea Libman was funny as the Party Pony while Tabitha St.Germain was wonderful as Rarity.

Fun to hear Ingrid Nilson again as Maud.

Not a bad debut for Mike & Will Fox writing this episode.

Tabitha was a riot Imitating Pinkie.

Cant wait for the next episode.

Princess Book Horse's reaction: SUPER LATE EDITION!!!!

- How sweet, we've never had a Pinkie and Rarity episode.

- Also, I love that Rarity's business continues to grow. I always knew that if she got a 3rd boutique,it would be in Manehattin. I hope we get to see it in another episode after its opened.

- Maud's love for her sister is amazing. She even scared a shady businesspony half to death to get Pinkie's party cannon back.

- Did anypony see Suri Polomare in the background?

Overall, it was great, it was good to get our first taste of S6 outside of the premier. It was also good to see more of Pinkie and Rarity after they, (along with AJ, Rainbow dash and Fluttershy) took a bit of a side role in the premier.

(Rather short reaction this week, I'll have a longer one next time.)

• Brohoof 2

Pinkie brought a weapon to the statue, an important Equestrian landmark. Pinkie has committed a terrorism act in this episode!

my concern was that she brought a weapon to a city, and then gave to to a random guy!

• Brohoof 2

Pre show thoughts;
Oh goody Maud..-_- I can't wait to groan at her not funny monotone

first minute in:
Um Rarity you been to manehatton 3 times!! by now the novilty should have worn off by now.

after intro:
Rock puch, how is that popular enough to earn a profit?

6 minutes in
Ugh..not a single luagh out of me so far..its pinkie pie episdoe for crying out loud...pinkie pie!

other stuff;

aww Maud so touching

still a meh episode for me though. Maudh..ugh why maud

just watched this ep like minutes ago. I really enjoyed it and even let out a "AWWWWWWWWW" near the end with Maud's words, as I paraphrase:

"It's not so much the gift in essence, but the love and devotion that you deliver in the process of wanting to give it to someone you love from the bottom of your heart."

Pinkie Pie was hilarious, every time that cannon went off I giggled. Rarity's facial expressions tho...PRICELESS. I really am starting to like these two characters more (although I do NOT ship them, the only ship I have is flutterdash)

And what you saw at 0:07 was NOT any LGBT reference at all, it was simply affection. geez looks like some people have not seen how older grown-up brothers act. lol