204 users have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't care for it.
    • It was decent.
    • I liked it.
    • I FREAKIN' LOVED IT!!!! <3

(edited)

The animators sure had fun with Pinkie in this one, and that was entertaining. I think the reason many people like the cop pony is because of her NYC accent, which I agree was great ^^

It was cute how Pinkie wanted to give Maud a better present this time and even more so how Maud was more concerned about Pinkie having her cannon. The whole cannon-returning scene seemed wrong though; I don't understand how that pony suddenly became all fearful of Maud, enough so to give it back.

Rarity was uninterested in Maud's rock at some times but became very interested at other times...that didn't make much sense either - it's clear that had no bearing on the episode's moral by the end so I guess it doesn't matter.

I thought it was a creative plot. No friendship lesson was injected into it but rather it focused on the gift giving between sisters. That was good, it makes a decent episode for me. The whole "5ever" thing was original too...I feel like that's going to become a meme very soon.

Edited by Varrack

Um, you didn't watch the whole episode? Why are you commenting then? They explain why they're in Manehatten, and it's not Maud's birthday either.

So it turns out I am wrong. My bad, I must say that I tend to misinterpret things a lot especially with the most simple things. Could you tell me what happened that I missed, or suggest me otherwise.

So it turns out I am wrong. My bad, I must say that I tend to misinterpret things a lot especially with the most simple things. Could you tell me what happened that I missed, or suggest me otherwise.

Well, basically, every year, pinkie pie gets with each of her sisters in a different place and exchanges gifts with them at midnight after sightseeing. Hence, the gifts. The reason they're in Manehatten is because they go somewhere different each year. Rarity tagged along to look for the perfect place for a new boutique!

A Rarity/Pinkie Pie episode? Yes! Finally! :pinkie: I've wanted to see what one would be like ever since the last scene of The Last Roundup, hehe.

I loved this one~ Funny moments from all three of 'em, especially Rarity's impersonation of Pinkie, heh. Nice to see some more accents too, like the NYC cop pony. Oh, and of course, gotta love the expressions~ They keep getting better and better with every season!

Don't have much else to say about it, liked it overall. :P And once again, hooray for a Rarity/Pinkie Pie episode~

• Brohoof 1

it was a pretty good episode i would love to have said it rocked but it wasn't good enough for that, it helps me get more confident in this season yes but it still isn't that amazing episode that I hoped they would give us to show us that the show would go on with full force after such big names left.

Never thought I'd see Maud actually smile. I wonder which sister will have her turn in the PSSDWR next year, or were there 3 seperate days throughput one year? Didn't really get that

Never thought I'd see Maud actually smile. I wonder which sister will have her turn in the PSSDWR next year, or were there 3 seperate days throughput one year? Didn't really get that

Maud was smiling at the end of her introduction episode, though:

post-2257-0-05255100-1459685157_thumb.png

post-2257-0-45438500-1459685167_thumb.png

I think Pinkie said she has a different day for each sister every year. (Well, technically, we see Rarity say it, but she's clarifying info she got from Pinkie off screen.)

• Brohoof 1

Btw, anyone notice the Twilight-cane and Ms Smarty-Pants among the objects Rarity was throwing at Maud? Cause I did. The Ms Smarty-Pants one is blink and you'll miss it.

I was about to mention that  :umad: and that blink at the end  ^_^ 

Also i'm loving the animations this season, a lot of new stuff.

• Brohoof 1

That was a boring and repetitive episode, and being one of the first episodes doesn't help at all. I didn't like the Pinkie's face animations, them were like trying to make memes everytime, Manehattan has been visited two more times,  all the characters were overacted... There isn't much in the episode to save.

I hope that the next episodes get better because if the S6 is going to be like this...

That was a boring and repetitive episode, and being one of the first episodes doesn't help at all. I didn't like the Pinkie's face animations, them were like trying to make memes everytime, Manehattan has been visited two more times,  all the characters were overacted... There isn't much in the episode to save.

I hope that the next episodes get better because if the S6 is going to be like this...

So much negatively  :(  But you are allowed your own opinion  :adorkable: 

I myself really enjoyed the episode and face animations.

• Brohoof 1

Not a spectacular episode but a decent one. This is the second best Manehattan episode (Made in Manehattan sucks). The comedy is spot on, but they need to tone down Pinkie a little bit, she is less annoying than her season 4 self but my ears still hurt whenever she screamed in that Maud ep.

Maud rocks. Rarity can bounce. Pinkie trade her lovely party cannon for the gift. 7/10. I hope new couple writers keep improve themself.

(edited)

One little nitpick I did think of while seeing this episode is since they had a professional seamstress in their trio, wouldn't it have been simpler for Rarity to make Pinkie a pouch after they discovered the store was closed?

Seems like Rarity could make an excuse to slip away, stating she wants to check what sort of fabric and craft stores there are around for her new store to make purchases from. There she could purchase some fabric, thread, a needle, scissors, and some gold cord and quickly sew together an elegant yet practical rock pouch? Let's be honest, making a pouch is pretty much the easiest thing ever to sew - Rarity could finish it in a few minutes!

Pinkie could pay her for it and give it to Maude. I guess that would have been too logical, however, in a Pinkie episode.  :)

Edited by Truffles
  • Brohoof 7

One little nitpick I did think of while seeing this episode is since they had a professional seamstress in their trio, wouldn't it have been simpler for Rarity to make Pinkie a pouch after they discovered the store was closed?

Seems like Rarity could make an excuse to slip away, stating she wants to check want sort of fabric and craft stores there are around for her new store to make purchases from. There she could purchase some fabric, thread, a needle, scissors, and some gold cord and quickly sew together an elegant yet practical rock pouch? Let's be honest, making a pouch is pretty much the easiest thing ever to sew - Rarity could finish it in a few minutes!

Pinkie could pay her for it and give it to Maude. I guess that would have been too logical, however, in a Pinkie episode.  :)

I THOUGHT THE SAME THING! Like legit thought they were going to take it in a direction more focused on Rarity's new boutique. How cute would it have been if Pinkie's gift would have been that Rarity's Manehatten shop also had an accessory section run by Maud featuring rock pouches or something like that. But alas that would be made too much sense as you stated my good pony.

• Brohoof 4

LOLOLOLOL!

To be fair, the two of them were in panic mode, and may not have been able to come up with that idea until later.

it would have made a great final punch for Rarity to suddenly realize that at the end of the show though!

Seems like Rarity could make an excuse to slip away, stating she wants to check want sort of fabric and craft stores there are around for her new store to make purchases from. There she could purchase some fabric, thread, a needle, scissors, and some gold cord and quickly sew together an elegant yet practical rock pouch? Let's be honest, making a pouch is pretty much the easiest thing ever to sew - Rarity could finish it in a few minutes!

I thought the exact same thing, but I feel like that idea would be way too obvious and predictable. Rarity simply making a pouch for Maud is less entertaining than all the shenanigans that happened in the episode.
  • Brohoof 1

You're seriously gonna criticize PINKIE of all ponies for having goofy face expressions? It's part of her character! She's a goofball! We've been used to that since the start!

Although yes, I will agree with the idea of Manhattan being overused. We've gotten it as a setting at least 1 episode per season. I'd rather be interesting in seeing places that up until now have only been mentioned like Las Pegasus and Trottingham.

That being said, it's always great seeing Maud. She may be deadpan, but she's still as funny as her sister!

That was a great episode I loved seeing Maud Pie again and Pinkie and Rarity were great, loved seeing the beautiful city of Manehattan and I laughed at the references that were shown throughout the episode, also loved the overall moral of the episode and found it heartwarming and sweet. 9/10 episode!!

post-5578-0-51834900-1459710058_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-87458300-1459710067_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-57021400-1459710069.gif

post-5578-0-73856300-1459710070_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-70670300-1459710072_thumb.gif

post-5578-0-29371500-1459710078_thumb.gif

• Brohoof 2

Normally I wait until I finish an episode before critiquing it... but I don't think I can sit through much more. I've seen less than ten minutes  and its almost painful to watch. The main problem is that Pinkie's obnoxiousness has been cranked up straight to thirteen, especially after last season toned her down to a more manageable level. 

The fact that they're in Manehattan makes this even worse, since a large portion of the episode is spend with most of the background ponies looking on in confusing and disbelief, making this even more awkward. In Ponyville, no one bats an eye to Pinkie's antics since they're all used it to. In Manehattan though, she's the crazy mare yelling on the street corner you hide your kids from and call the cops on for causing a disturbance. Not to mention that, by the law of fiction, is was "boot to the head" obvious with how much Pinkie was building up this pouch that she wouldn't be able to get it. I would have liked it more if she did manage to actually get the pouch, but something else stood in her way from getting it back to Maud.

The only good thing about this so far is Rarity, who is very clearly trying desperately to deal with Pinkie's antics without looking crazy by proxy.  

Maybe I'll give it another shot and maybe this episode does get much better from here, but so far I'm far from convinced. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Mixed feelings about this episode. The first 75% was pretty entertaining, but the last 25% was...well, underwhelming. Maud confronting that pony about Pinkie's party cannon was disappointing, and could have been done much better. The last minute or two just felt like filler as it just kept going on.

Overall, it was fun seeing Manehattan again. Once again, they've went a step further with the animation. And I loved Rarity's portrayal here. Pinkie had some great moments too, but at the same time felt a bit too much. A bit of a shame as they had toned her down a bit in the last season.

Not bad, but not that great either. 

Edited by JH24

Anypony else noticed Smarty Pants doll flying through the air? How did THAT get here?! 

Is it a one of a kind, or a mass produced horse doll? 

Anypony else noticed Smarty Pants doll flying through the air? How did THAT get here?! I really enjoyed this episode. Do Flutters and Pinkie Pie now, okay?

It wasn't only Smarty Pants, there was the Twiscepter from Princess Twilight Sparkle, the Spell Book from Inspiration Manifestation and the shark from Slice of Life. Continuity cavalcade! There were probably more in the pile, too.

• Brohoof 2

Overall, I found this to be another obnoxious Pinkie episode. I'll admit that the lesson of the episode is decent enough, and that it's nice to see Maud express some genuine sisterly love of Pinkie. The problem is most of the rest of the episode other than those things. The simple plot drags, leaving me to focus on the various annoyances in the episode. Pinkie is repeatedly hyper, loud, and annoying in public - in other ponies' faces on the train, out on the sidewalk, making a scene of asking Rarity for help, etc. Pinkie even drags Rarity into acting like that a few times. Maud is mostly her usual socially oblivious self, but also bafflingly seems to be completely unaware of Pinkie's and Rarity's plan for her gift even as they (sometimes loudly) discuss it a few away from her. Below, I'll detail some of the larger aspects of the episode that contributed to my disliking it.

For one thing, I find it extremely annoying when Pinkie uses her own inane made-up words in conversation with other ponies and arrogantly expects them to know what these words mean, berating them or making fun of them when they don't. In this episode, Rarity understandably misinterprets Pinkie's "PSSSD" as her saying "psst", and when she does, Pinkie bluntly says "No, silly!" as though of course Rarity ought to have known that Pinkie was using one of her made-up acronyms and known what it stands for. Pinkie evens uses her made-up acronym to a Manehattan police officer who would have absolutely no reason to know what it means. I would think that, if you were following basic social decency, you would anticipate whether others in conversation would know the term you're using, and if not, either explain it when you use it or don't use it. And if you inadvertently use a term others doesn't understand, and they show that they don't understand it, then simply explain it, perhaps with an apology. But Pinkie has repeatedly demonstrated an obliviousness to and/or disregard for basic social decency, and this is just another example of that.

Of course, Maud does this too, using technical geological terms and pointing out geological phenomena without any consideration of whether Rarity (or Pinkie) knows what she's talking about, nor any consideration of how to make her observations interesting to someone who isn't as "into rocks" as she is. And Pinkie does it again when the three of them are in the park for the gift exchange. Rarity says that she can't wait to see what gifts they got each other, and Pinkie bluntly says "We don't just swap, silly!", again implying that of course Rarity ought to have known what the rituals of this idiosyncratic Pie family tradition are.

Speaking of Maud, her baffling and unfunny behavior also contributes to my dislike of this episode. Perhaps most obviously, Pinkie and Rarity discuss, shout and scream about their "secret" plans to get Maud a rock pouch literally a few feet away from her on several occasions, and Maud seemingly somehow remains totally oblivious. There are also Maud's antics with Boulder - having Boulder "look" at postcards, calling for Boulder when it gets lost, telling Boulder to "play nice" with another rock, etc. I know that Maud has been doing these obviously nonsensical things all along, but I still don't find it funny that a supposedly full-grown adult (who is getting a "rocktorate") is doing these things and seeming to take them seriously.

Pinkie's insistence on repeating over and over and over just how amazing her gift to Maud will be is also extremely obnoxious. Doing that is just asking for something in her plan to go wrong, and it's also setting her up for failing to meet the sky-high expectation she's making. Although, if I were in Maud's position, I would suspect that Pinkie's repeated assertion of the greatness of her gift is actually hiding insecurity - that Pinkie is really trying to convince Maud, Rarity and/or herself that her gift is the best thing ever, when it actually isn't.

The whole scene where Maud, Pinkie, and Rarity get Pinkie's party cannon back in exchange for the pouch was extraordinarily foolish. Besides the immorality of the implied threat of violence if the exchange didn't happen (which the pouch owner was well within his right to refuse), the situation could have gone very badly for Maud, Pinkie, and Rarity. What if the pouch owner responded to the implied threat of violence with actual violence, e.g., pulling a weapon out or firing actual projectiles from the cannon? What if the pouch owner runs with a gang and other gang members are nearby to assist in the fight? Furthermore, before joining in on this plan, Rarity should have considered that she's planning on opening a boutique in Manehattan. The pouch owner could find several ways of getting revenge on Rarity later, especially, again, if he runs with a gang. Rarity and/or her employees could go to the boutique one day to find it trashed and their merchandise and money stolen. Or Rarity and/or her employees could be threatened or injured themselves, either at the boutique or while going around town. So Maud, Pinkie, and Rarity are very lucky that the pouch owner acquiesced to them with little resistance, and it remains to be seen whether they will experience any other repercussions later.

Finally, Pinkie's and Maud's idea to include Rarity in a special sightseeing/gift swapping day may not be as "sweet" as it's made out to be. While Rarity did go with Pinkie on this trip, and tried to roll with Pinkie's and Maud's antics, Rarity may not necessarily enjoy doing that every year. Plus it does mean that Rarity has to try to come up with gifts for Pinkie and Maud, even as Rarity said earlier in the episode that Maud is "simply impossible to shop for". The lesson about the specific gift not mattering so long as it's given with love seems weird to apply to Rarity and Maud, who barely know or see each other and seem to have little in common.

One other thing that I'll comment on: Would I want to have a tradition like Pinkie in which I schedule a sightseeing day one-on-one with each of my eight siblings? Personally, I feel like that would be a bit of a waste of time and effort. I think we see and talk to each other enough spontaneously that that wouldn't be necessary. Plus, I feel like deliberately making one-on-one trips like that would be awkward - it would be more fun to go on outings and hang out with at least a small group of our siblings in which all of us contribute comments, stories, etc. And we certainly wouldn't do the gift exchange part of it - we don't feel the need to give gifts to each other, and we wouldn't know what to get each other anyway.

Now for the rest of my miscellaneous observations:

On the train, Pinkie says to Rarity "Why doesn't your face look like this?". Are ponies allowed not to be as excited as she is, or to be excited without being publicly hyper and over-the-top about it? Considering how the rest of her family behaves, Pinkie ought to understand that not everyone reacts to excitement like she does.

Pinkie says that the pouch store is just a block away from the restaurant at which the three of them are eating, but the map depicts the pouch store as being farther away than that, and Pinkie traveling a path of several blocks to get there.

Pinkie jumps and smashes her face on the door of the pouch store, and then says "Huh, must be stuck". Is that the way Pinkie would normally try to open the door to a store?

It does seem quite unusual that the pouch store owner would close the store for such an extended period of time. Does the owner not have any other employees to run the store in his absence? Does the store do so little business that it wouldn't be profitable to hire a single employee? How does the owner afford to have a downtown storefront, and is it a good idea to have one if the owner is the only one running it?

When Pinkie returns to the restaurant from the pouch store, Rarity says to Pinkie that her hooves "must be sparkling clean". Was it part of the plan for Pinkie to actually clean her hooves, which could add additional time to her absence and make it more suspicious? If not, then why draw attention to Pinkie's hooves which wouldn't actually be clean?

While Rarity is making all of the effort to find an alternative gift for Maud, what is Pinkie doing to help? It's ultimately Pinkie's responsibility to find a gift for Maud if she wants to give one; Rarity is just generously offering to help. So why is Rarity seeming to do all of the work?

At the market, Rarity runs around asking Maud "What do you think about this? Or this? Or this? This? This?", etc., without ever stopping and giving her a chance to reply, at least not until she has a pile of tens of different things. And when Maud says "I like that", Rarity starts running down a list again without giving Maud a chance to respond.

Pinkie says that she and Maud are supposed to swap gifts at sunset, but it doesn't really look like sunset when they exchange their gifts.

When Pinkie gives the pouch to Maud as a gift, it's in a box of some kind, which I guess Pinkie must have gotten with the wrapping. Yet after Maud opens the gift, the box seems to have disappeared.

It seems weird for Pinkie to say that she's going to love Maud's gift "five-ever". Isn't the point of confetti to use it and then throw it away? Besides, the amount of confetti there by itself might be good for a few party cannon blasts, at best. Pinkie could run through that in less than a day, and in fact, that's what happens.

Finally, "Pinkie sense" is already annoying enough, but we apparently have to deal with "Maud sense" too.

• Brohoof 2