Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have your thoughts and feelings changed since re-watching earlier Seasons?

Chuckles4lyfe

Hi everyone,

So as the title suggests, how do you feel when you re-watch episodes from earlier Seasons of Pony? As we get closer and closer to the release of S6, I was feeling a bit nostalgic and went back and watched some episodes from the very 1st season. I can't believe S1 aired nearly 6 years ago! I baby-sit a kid who is 6 years old and it freaks me out that fans who were born when the show 1st aired are now old enough to start grade school  ^_^

It amazes me how far we've come from MLP's humble beginnings. I suddenly feel so old whenever I catch a S1 episode on TV. It was a much simpler time back then. The show could not take as many risks as it can now as writers had to abide to Hasbro's E/I (Educational and Informational) standards. Hasbro was testing out the waters with the show and even they weren't sure that it would last this long. Thankfully, E/I was dropped starting with Season 2 allowing for more engaging storytelling :wub:.

Going back to re-watch Season 1 is like going back to playing Pokemon Red and Blue on the GameBoy after playing Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire on the 3DS. Sure it is nostalgic and great fun, but you quickly remember how far we've come since then :fluttershy:

Feel free to agree or disagree with my analogy. It's why I rank the later seasons higher than the earlier ones, and can't stand those who say that episodes after a specific season are plain garbage (which is an entirely different discussion that i'll keep separate from this 1  :smug:). 

Since the show has kinda been getting a little deeper, introducing new elements, and wrapping up story arcs, it does feel rather nostalgic. The earlier episodes were pretty lighthearted (like Feeling Pinkie Keen, A Bird in the Hoof, and Sisterhooves Social) and didn't seem nearly as weighty as some of the more recent episodes (especially Crusaders of the Lost Mark, The Mane Attraction, and the Starlight Glimmer eps). Almost feels as if you're watching one of those breather episodes in between really weighty episodes.

Edited by PacificGreen
  • Brohoof 1

I agree. Season one was like magic kindergarten compare to the later seasons. S1 has it's moments but pales in comparison to later seasons. Come to think about it, you can watch a episode about slumber parties in S1 and literally watch a battle against satan in S4!

Wow...

• Brohoof 2

I really can't believe I was 10 when it aired. Feels like a lifetime ago. But alas, I only started watching the show around a year ago.

I have no nostalgic memories of the early seasons. I just had the 4 seasons to compare to season 5 as it progressed. And I still haven't watched the whole show. Just kinda watched whatever I found on YouTube in between season 5 episodes.

But when I first learned of the show, I was repelled by it. But now I'm a Brony, so in that regard my feelings about the show have changed.

• Brohoof 1

I feel like the story has gotten a little bit too complicated with the cutie map and twilight's princess status. Other than that, I think I have gotten to like the characters more than ever.

The show has definitely come a long way since then. The first season has such a simple atmosphere, from the premiere to the finale, it had a simplistic charm. In the end though, I am happy that the show is where it is now. That simple nature has its charm, but it also has many limits. The show just wouldn't have lasted very long staying on that track and I am glad it evolved and expanded. 

While I have never gone back and re-watched an entire season, some original thoughts I had on certain characters have indeed changed over time. At first, I used to find Twilight Sparkle to be quite boring and a "know it all". After some time, I found myself really liking her. I also used to find PinkiePie to be more annoying than anything else, but now I really like her, too!

It was a much simpler time back then. The show could not take as many risks as it can now

I disagree somewhat with this part.  I think the show got away with things in the first season that it would never get away with now; some because of content and others because it would simply no longer fit or apply.  And certainly not without being harshly criticized by the then-burgeoning fandom.  We'll never see anything remotely like "Bridle Gossip" again.  We're unlikely to ever have an episode that tries to recreate "Party of One."  And (moving into season two because I am) Twi will never have another "Lesson Zero."

In some ways, it feels as though the series itself has lost some things it can't ever get back; this is not a criticism of the ponies themselves, as I've seen a great deal of growth in them (without their necessarily changing from who they essentially are).  That's not to say it hasn't continued to have great moments or gain new and worthwhile elements, but things do seem to feel different overall.  I'd like to blame the fandom, and I kind of do. xD  I certainly don't blame the ponies.