Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ever have a "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING" moment when watching the show?

Chuckles4lyfe

Oh yes, I just remembered another. 

"Princess Twilight Sparkle": So many things, but three in particular. 

1. Part 1 ending in the middle of a flashback that we already know the ending to. A flashback which doesn't even have a single thing to do with the main story. A flashback which is arguably detrimental to the show's entire mythology. 
  2. Discord taunting Twilight when she returns from the Everfree. Can't let her come to conclusions herself, episode? Really? 
  3. The goddamn Tree of Harmony, one of the show's worst-ever ideas. Really diminishes Twilight's already-weak ascension if it wasn't even because of her actions but because it was predetermined. Again, I wonder if these ponies have any control over their own lives.

Also, "Appleoosa's Most Wanted": First, having the titular "most wanted" be, at worst, an unintentional vandal. Second, giving Trouble Shoes a bad luck cutie mark, which according to everything else the show has told us really ought to be impossible. 

Interesting that a lot of people mention "Newbie Dash" here, because part of why I don't hate it is because I think I understand every single decision that I disliked in that episode. 

The COTLM episode, yes I hated that one so much

1) Button Mash was recolored

2) Giving the CMC their Cutie Marks was a BAD IDEA

3) It should've been erased from MLP canon!

I have two, which are pretty similar.

The more minor is from "A Friend In Deed". This episode portrays stalking in an inappropriately positive light. Yes, at the end, there's a bit of a moral about respecting people's privacy, but it was a bit of a throwaway line and easily ignored in the face of the entire episode, where Pinkie is portrayed sympathetically, and a deus ex machina makes it turn out all right in the end. 

The more major is from "Tanks for the Memories. RD commits what is effectively a major terrorist attack for petty reasons and not only does she get away with it, but the other characters make comments about how great the messed up winter is. 

Sure, Starlight Glimmer and Trixie committed serious crimes and received little punishment, but at least the show acknowledged that what they were doing was wrong. What are these episodes teaching kids? That it's all right to commit crimes as long as the end result is good?