Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will there be more Stallion and Colt focused episodes and development?

BrawnyCharger

As we know full well, the MLP franchise has been well established as a girls franchise. But with Friendship is Magic ushering in the Brony community, well you know the rest. 

Still despite the Bronies on the rise, the series itself still has a majority of the focus be on the mares and fillies. Granted, some are more masculine than others, and some are more feminine than others. But I think that the Brony community has gotten so huge at this point that it can't be ignored anymore and I think that they should try to have some episodes focus on some of the established stallion and colt characters such as Big Macintosh, Shining Armor, Dr. Hooves, Cheese Sandwich, Carrot Cake, Rumble, etc. as well as build on some character development for them. I think that doing so would show that MLP is truly aiming for a more extensive audience.

Now I know that that Spike and Discord have gotten quite a bit of focused episodes, but I'm talking about the male ponies here. Spike's a dragon, and Discord's a mutant creature.

Here are some examples: 

Big Macintosh: I've elaberated on this in another thread but I'd say "Brotherhooves Social" was a great starting point for his character development. I'd like to see the writers follow up on his desires to be a hero like his sister Applejack, in small steps such as having to step in for her whenever she's unable to partake in events that she usually does, such as the Canterlot rodeo among others.

Shining Armor: As a member of the Canterlot Royal Guards, I'd love to see him come through for Twilight during a major threat, just like she did for him at his wedding to Cadence.

Dr. Hooves: Have an episode dedicated to studies and inventions, and build a story arc for him to build a time machine. Or something like that.

Would you like to see more Stallions and Colts get more focus and character development?

• Brohoof 3

I don't much care for Dr Hooves, but I would much rather see episodes with him that didn't involve time travel. Its been done before, and its too cliche. He mentioned that he's working to put science to use over magic, so I really want to see where that leads, without involving fucked timelines

• Brohoof 1

I really enjoyed Brotherhooves Social and was really glad to finally get some character development for Big Mac.

Because of that I would love to see another episode focusing on him.

• Brohoof 1

We had Brotherhooves Social which was great, hopefully it means there's more to come. Some of the more prominent stallions/colts could probably use it

• Brohoof 1

I have a great episode idea for this. It's a CMC episode. A colt loves dolls, but dolls are for girls. He hides his doll collection until the CMC find out. They promise not to tell anyone, but they show him that there's nothing wrong with liking something that is traditionally for girls. He finds out that there are other stallions who love collecting dolls, and being a colt doesn't mean you can't like filly things. (Basically, an episode about bronies.) 

I had another idea where a stallion made fun of another stallion for liking something for girls until he tries it out himself and loves it, but we already have a similar episode where Rainbow makes fun of Twilight for reading until she decides to read... 

Actually, my first episode idea was probably terrible... Still, there should be male pony focused episodes, hopefully ones that don't make them look stupid. 

• Brohoof 1

Slice of Life was pretty brony-ish, which is something that I loved.

Anyways, most people hate him, but I personally would like a Flash Sentry episode, I mean, he only appears on EG which is something that most ponies hate.

(edited)

I hope not, male characters get enough of attention as it is. 

In other franchises, yes. But in My Little Pony, the main focus is on the female characters. I'm only asking that the male ponies gain a little more character development and exposure than they have before. That way it can appeal to both genders more (or more so than it already has).

Edited by BrawnyCharger

As we know full well, the MLP franchise has been well established as a girls franchise. But with Friendship is Magic ushering in the Brony community, well you know the rest. 

Still despite the Bronies on the rise, the series itself still has a majority of the focus be on the mares and fillies. Granted, some are more masculine than others, and some are more feminine than others. But I think that the Brony community has gotten so huge at this point that it can't be ignored anymore and I think that they should try to have some episodes focus on some of the established stallion and colt characters such as Big Macintosh, Shining Armor, Dr. Hooves, Cheese Sandwich, Carrot Cake, Rumble, etc. as well as build on some character development for them. I think that doing so would show that MLP is truly aiming for a more extensive audience.

Now I know that that Spike and Discord have gotten quite a bit of focused episodes, but I'm talking about the male ponies here. Spike's a dragon, and Discord's a mutant creature.

Here are some examples: 

Big Macintosh: I've elaberated on this in another thread but I'd say "Brotherhooves Social" was a great starting point for his character development. I'd like to see the writers follow up on his desires to be a hero like his sister Applejack, in small steps such as having to step in for her whenever she's unable to partake in events that she usually does, such as the Canterlot rodeo among others.

Shining Armor: As a member of the Canterlot Royal Guards, I'd love to see him come through for Twilight during a major threat, just like she did for him at his wedding to Cadence.

Dr. Hooves: Have an episode dedicated to studies and inventions, and build a story arc for him to build a time machine. Or something like that.

Would you like to see more Stallions and Colts get more focus and character development?

Interestingly - I don't know if you read the official comics, but apart from the main series they've got a monthly series called "Friends Forever", which pairs up two characters for a story. And guess who the latest issue was about? Shining Armor and Prince Blueblood. And it was actually pretty good.

There's a good possibility of us seeing more Male characters in the future; The Guardians of harmony toyline seems to be Disproportionately focused on the show's male characters (compared to how important they are) in order to attract boys to buy the toyline, with Spike, Shining armor and Soarin all looking to get toys before all of the mane six do.

So I could see them giving The popular male characters (like dr. whooves) getting episodes for advertisement purposes and because bronies like them.

More than this being a gender issue, this is a secondary characters issue. If MLP used its secondary characters more, this would be more likely.

On that note, I do like the brony allegory idea. Considering that the show has a propensity to using Shining Armor and Big Mac's "feminine" tendencies for jokes, it would be a good opportunity to get serious about it for once.

But mainly, I'd like to see them do "Brotherhooves Social" again, but correctly. The cross-dressing joke got old fast and did more to hurt the episode's message than help it, as did the episode's implied statements on gender. It should be done with Spike this time and focus on how little awareness he seems to get from the other characters, as well as his underdog status, given that he's the only character who hasn't developed and hasn't made any major achievements (aside from "saving" the Crystal Empire which was mainly a group effort for which he got too much credit). The best thing is that it's just about being different, rather than being a certain gender or implied race. It's not a feminist or pro-male thing, but the right thing.

Honesty, I hope there will be more stallion and colt episodes. Since The Mlp franchise is aimed a little girls, i doubt we'll see that many male characters in the merchandise. Still the guardians of harmony do appeal more towards what little boys like to play with. I want hasbro to make more stallion and colt episodes, but I wonder if they will be able to "properly" portray male characters because you saw how a "banner day" went. 

Edited by Kurosaki

It would be a nice change for once to direct the show's attention to present more stallion and colt episodes.

For me, I would enjoy seeing a sort of "Guy's Night Out" type of episode, something similar that has only male characters in an episode.

I don't care nearly as much about stallions and colts as I do about the central focus of the show.  I don't care how many Bronies there are or how many male viewers the show garners.  FIM was originally a show specifically targeted towards young females.  I don't think that the series should shoehorn more males into the spotlight just to accommodate an unexpected male audience.  Some of us males started watching the show in the first place because of a mare or mares; I'm perfectly fine with females continuing to be the focus.

• Brohoof 3

• 8 months later...

Maybe for one episode (or a two parter), they can have an All-Stallion Mane 6 save the world in place of the Mane 6 including possibly: Shining Armor, Big Macintosh, Cheese Sandwich, Fancy Pants, Soarin, and one other.

It may be just for one episode, but it would certainly be an awesome big hero moment for them individually as well as as a team.

I think they've been trying to do more of this with all the Spike, Zephyr Breeze, That stallion that keeps arguing with RD about Daring Do, Big Mac, that dancing colt with Applebloom episodes going around in Season 6 at least making them support characters. 

Edited by cider float
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...