Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is alicorn magic inherently evil?

ManaMinori

Could it be that the dark magic Twilight used is just one kind of alicorn magic? I pretty much took that scene (being something of a Sombra fanboy), as a testament to Sombra's talent for magic (as in being a unicorn but still being good/skilled enough to use a single type of alicorn magic).

That aside, I'd imagine that dark magic just happened to be the one kind of alicorn magic Twilight happened to know at the time. Another type of alicorn magic might well be what Twilight used in her fight against Tirek. Then again, that could've just been basic unicorn magic ramped up to godlike levels.

Using it still hurt Twi (even as an alicorn, as I recall), or at least caused her some discomfort.

that wouldn't make sense. There's no subcategories of different alicorn races for there to be different types of alicorn magic. Just like there's only one kind of pegasi or earth pony magic. Sure, that oe kind can do a bunch of fancy stuff, but its still one kind of magic. And before you say "well, ascended alicorns", that proves nothing, because Cadance and Twilight still use, or are accustomed to using the magic of what they originally were- unicorn or pegasi magic, even though they're alicorns. You don't see them using alicorn magic much, if at all, because dark magic

Magic isn't inherently evil. Magic is controlled by the mind. If the mind is pure, the magic within is good. However, if the mind is dark and evil, it wields dark and evil magic. Alicorn magic is extemely powerful. This is due to the fact that in order to become an alicorn, you have to truly understand a concept deeply enough that it awakes the hidden magic inside you, thus initiating your transformation. If you reflect back to the Celestia's Ballad scene in MMC, a blob of magic comes from Twilight herself, thus initiating her alicorn transformation. 

Looking at the Crystaling and baby unicorns, we know for a fact that because they are so young, they simply cannot control their magic. When a unicorn is born, it starts in what I like to call, "the grey phase". I get this analogy from the "black and white right and wrong" concept. The magic that baby unicorns and alicorns wield has not been settled into a region yet (the black or white regions). However, as the Crystaling portrayed, it showed what happened if Flurry Heart went too long without the proper introductions and rituals, since she was a special baby. As shown in the episode, Flurry Heart's magic turned towards the black region because of failure to perform the Crystalling ritual, which to my assumptions put a seal on Flurry Heart's magic, which was very powerful since she was born an alicorn.

In conclusion, alicorn magic can be either. It depends on the intentions of the user and/or alicorn status at birth.  

(edited)

that wouldn't make sense. There's no subcategories of different alicorn races for there to be different types of alicorn magic. Just like there's only one kind of pegasi or earth pony magic. Sure, that oe kind can do a bunch of fancy stuff, but its still one kind of magic. 

I kind of have to disagree on all unicorn magic being the same here (and since there don't seem to be different subcategories of unicorns, your argument suggests there shouldn't be different types of unicorn magic either). Would you really categorize all feats of magic cast by unicorns during the series as just 'unicorn magic'? As in, different spells have wildly different functions, and thus are not the same. Sure, they're all achieved by using unicorn magic, but its use makes the magic being cast a different type.

By way of example, lets compare some of the different types of magic seen in the show:

- Basic unicorn telekinesis, which basically consists of using magic to move stuff around.

- The time travel spell, the effect of which is rather self-evident.

- The different kinds of transmutation seen in the show (mustache growing spell, GGG carriage creation, Twi transforming into a book illustration).

There are many more examples, but can you truly handwave all of these clearly different types of magic as just "magic"? As in, how would unicorn magic even work if there aren't any guidelines (such as its categorization into types) to casting spells with it? And if the magic truly just happens magically, why does Twi treat it more or less like science? How is it taught to anyone, especially in prestigious schools?

And if unicorn magic (the only "active" magic seen in the series besides alicorn (and most likely changeling plus Tirek' and Discord's) magic), why would the magic of alicorns be any different in this regard?

Magic isn't inherently evil. Magic is controlled by the mind. If the mind is pure, the magic within is good. However, if the mind is dark and evil, it wields dark and evil magic. Alicorn magic is extemely powerful. This is due to the fact that in order to become an alicorn, you have to truly understand a concept deeply enough that it awakes the hidden magic inside you, thus initiating your transformation. If you reflect back to the Celestia's Ballad scene in MMC, a blob of magic comes from Twilight herself, thus initiating her alicorn transformation. 

Looking at the Crystaling and baby unicorns, we know for a fact that because they are so young, they simply cannot control their magic. When a unicorn is born, it starts in what I like to call, "the grey phase". I get this analogy from the "black and white right and wrong" concept. The magic that baby unicorns and alicorns wield has not been settled into a region yet (the black or white regions). However, as the Crystaling portrayed, it showed what happened if Flurry Heart went too long without the proper introductions and rituals, since she was a special baby. As shown in the episode, Flurry Heart's magic turned towards the black region because of failure to perform the Crystalling ritual, which to my assumptions put a seal on Flurry Heart's magic, which was very powerful since she was born an alicorn.

In conclusion, alicorn magic can be either. It depends on the intentions of the user and/or alicorn status at birth.  

Also this.

I suppose that in order to clarify my earlier post, I should point out that by "types" I was referring more to the types of effects one can achieve with magic. The magic being used as a power source is more or less the same, I guess. Sorry for the scatterbrained quality of the post, by the way.

Edited by Shiki-pon