Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I suck at names! Help naming Pony OC?

tm2dragon

We all have our strong suits and our weak ones when it comes to being creative. Me? I'm great at coming up with ideas, fleshing out worlds and characters, and I'm pretty good at writing in general (though I could use a bit of work on proper flow and pacing). In my old roleplays, I was INFAMOUS for my massive character bios. Pages of information, in depth details, but splashed with bits of humor and fun to keep other RPers reading.

My greatest weakness, however, is with NAMES. I just can't do them. Since I was a little kid, I've had trouble naming characters, and I certainly haven't improved much since. I could list some of the terrible examples from years past, but trust me when I say you might be better off not knowing. :P

SO! Anyone feel up to helping me on this, the most important naming venture of the past several years? I've spent a bit of time working on my "Ponysona"....but the one thing he still lacks is a NAME! I want to get to work on a proper bio, but I'll need a name to use before I can really get started! If I type out a short, basic description here, think any of you could help me christen the fella with a proper name? Then I can whip out my bio, and dive in headfirst into the world of Pony RPs! XD

Who feels up to it? ( ;

• Brohoof 2

Name him 'Ashbad'.

But yes, I'll need a short bio before I start helping with the naming process. Just something simple about their basic personality, skills, gender, Unicorn/Pegasus/Earth Pony, etc. Otherwise, if I come up with the name 'Flarewing', and it's a Unicorn that likes eating bubble wrap, it won't quite go over well.

• Brohoof 1

Name him 'Ashbad'.

But yes, I'll need a short bio before I start helping with the naming process. Just something simple about their basic personality, skills, gender, Unicorn/Pegasus/Earth Pony, etc. Otherwise, if I come up with the name 'Flarewing', and it's a Unicorn that likes eating bubble wrap, it won't quite go over well.

I concur with Ashbad here, may we have something to work with?

Also a slight history and origin of your character will help too.

Edited by Dizzy Leeane Rage
  • Brohoof 1

HA! XD Good ones. XD Yeah, sorry I didn't throw up the bio to begin with. I kinda just woke up, and my brain is still getting into gear. :P

Okay, he's a a pegusus, all in shades of grey; light grey coat, darker grey mane, grey eyes.......even his cutie (a dark grey cloud with a bolt of white lightning) is grey! This might make you think he's a gloomy guy, but while he can be quiet and a bit solitary, he's really not. He's just not a fan of overly bright colors or lots of noise. His favorite days are grey, overcast ones, and while he'll go out on sunny days (HE'S NOT A VAMPONY!!!!), he's not too fond of them.

He's actually a very nice and friendly pony.....after all, just because a person enjoys time to themselves doesn't mean they can't be outgoing and friendly when they run into others! He loves clouds, and his house is actually a cloud put together at ground level, kept in place by a grey tarp. He loves to read, and often has his nose stuck in a book someplace. When he goes outside, he usually straddles a bit of cloud, scooting around with his wings. He got the idea when he was young, and a weak flier......clouds float, after all, so if he's on top of one, he wouldn't have to worry about lift! He learned how to fly that way, working on steering and acceleration, which help him build up the muscle needed for lift. He got his cutie mark that day, simbalizing both his affinity and love for clouds and cloudy days, and his talent for getting "bolts" of inspiration. He's VERY smart, though it usually only shows itself in occasional "EUREKA!" moments. Many of his ideas have (such as a charm made of a pegusus feather, supercharged by a Unicorn, that lets Earth Ponies and Unicorns walk on or manipulate clouds with their hooves while wearing it.........a must for when they visit his home, as his floor is made of clouds too).

So yeah, short version: Grey pony, loves overcast skies, good with clouds, scoots around on one, friendly and likes to make ponies smile, smart, and his talent is having flashes of insight that can lead to good ideas or deeper understanding of those around him......knowledge which he is more than willing to share with those it might help. NAME AWAY!

My first impression (after reading the first paragraph) made it sound like he's almost like Thunderlane, except lighter grey or white mane except dark shade of grey. Also if I'm not mistaken, Thunderlanes cutie mark is nearly the similar fashion with a grey cloud and thunderbolt me thinks.

Anyways, from what I've compiled up, these names popped into my mind...

Cirrus Glide

Flash Wit

Sky Bolt

Aero Stride

Thunder Clap

Shady Strike

Stratus Shock

Cloud Spark

more coming...

Storm Shade

Hover Shock

Brontide

Bright Lumin

Quick Strike

Try combining some of these...

I personally like the sound of Brontide, Thunderclap or Sky Bolt, or maybe just Stratus

• Brohoof 3

My first impression (after reading the first paragraph) made it sound like he's almost like Thunderlane, except lighter grey or white mane except dark shade of grey. Also if I'm not mistaken, Thunderlanes cutie mark is nearly the similar fashion with a grey cloud and thunderbolt me thinks.

Anyways, from what I've compiled up, these names popped into my mind...

Cirrus Glide

Flash Wit

Sky Bolt

Aero Stride

Thunder Clap

Shady Strike

Stratus

Cloud Spark

more coming...

WOW! You're good at this. XD Those might be a tad too "impressive" for him though. I probably should have mentioned that he's rather scrawny, and more "cute" than "handsome". Flying around on his cloud instead of walking, not to mention spending most of his time indoors or reading.......yeah, he's a twig. Let's see if I can link a pic..........

Here he is!

post-1865-0-15966600-1335644163_thumb.png

I did update my list, but given these new developments, I can definitely suggest more.

Hmmmm, how about

Stratus Sphere?

Castel Brontide?

Floccus Pocus?

I'm running out of ideas >.<

*sigh* I hate to offer some of my concept pegasi names for some of my characters, but here, maybe they'll give you some ideas.

Sky Scraper

Thunder Hop

Holly Aegis

Gallow Wisp

Rumble Roxy

High Dive

• Brohoof 1

I did update my list, but given these new developments, I can definitely suggest more.

Hmmmm, how about

Stratus Sphere?

Castel Brontide?

Floccus Pocus?

I'm running out of ideas >.<

FLOCCUS POCUS!!!! XD Oh god, I don't know why, but that one puts me in fits of giggles. XD Doesn't fit HIM, but I'll keep it in mind for when I need a good giggle. :P Thanks! You're pretty good at this. XD Though honestly, ponies don't NEED long names, do they? I could swear most of them were a lot simpler in the show............hmmmmmm...........I'll keep thinking on it. ^_^

How about making his coat a bit lighter and calling him Silver Lining?

Just a suggestion

O_O ..............that's............actually really, REALLY good. You MAY have hit it on the head there. So far, that's easily number one on the list!

How about making his coat a bit lighter and calling him Silver Lining?

Just a suggestion

Genius! I wish I had thought of that >.<

Maybe I was thinking a little too much on specific details...I feel kinda silly now...I'm gonna sulk and runaway a bit. be right back lol.

• Brohoof 2

Genius! I wish I had thought of that >.<

Maybe I was thinking a little too much on specific details...I feel kinda silly now...I'm gonna sulk and runaway a bit. be right back lol.

Wow.......people here are SO AWESOME! I can imagine on other forums, a person's response would be all "HEY! What makes that any better than my ideas? You all suck $#%@ you bye." Here, it's all brohooves and support. I think I'm gonna like it here. XD

Glad to help :)

Think I'm gonna keep trying though......someone, when someone says "Hey Silver", all I can think of is the Lone Ranger. :P .........which I guess IS horse related, but a bit too heroic for the guy. XD It's most certainly my number one fall-back though!

So yeah, short version: Grey pony, loves overcast skies, good with clouds, scoots around on one, friendly and likes to make ponies smile, smart, and his talent is having flashes of insight that can lead to good ideas or deeper understanding of those around him......knowledge which he is more than willing to share with those it might help. NAME AWAY!

how about... Cloud Shimmer? since he has an affinity for clouds, and he gets flashes of insight, which leads him to shimmer his knowledge onto others.

(this took way too long for me to do. i'm usually much more efficient with names, i assure you. x3)

• Brohoof 1

Wow.......people here are SO AWESOME! I can imagine on other forums, a person's response would be all "HEY! What makes that any better than my ideas? You all suck $#%@ you bye." Here, it's all brohooves and support. I think I'm gonna like it here. XD

Think I'm gonna keep trying though......someone, when someone says "Hey Silver", all I can think of is the Lone Ranger. :P .........which I guess IS horse related, but a bit too heroic for the guy. XD It's most certainly my number one fall-back though!

The thing with Silver Lining is that, it's very simple and often times, simple is sweeter, but I can understand what you're getting at. I'm just not the type of pegasister that get's flustered alot at other members, I don't like arguing, and I have a profound love, respect, and admiration for all the MLP family of mine.

how about... Cloud Shimmer? since he has an affinity for clouds, and he gets flashes of insight, which leads him to shimmer his knowledge onto others.

(this took way too long for me to do. i'm usually much more efficient with names, i assure you. x3)

However, in this case, I like Cloud Shimmer too, I could give you reasons for the names I listed, but Viscra beat me to the punch bowl. :P

With this one, it's simple and sweet! and has definition for the name combination, which is thoughtful!

• Brohoof 1

The RP section is for roleplay-related things only. For actual roleplays, or out-of-character discussion regarding them. Not for asking questions about what your OC should be named or how they should be built.

For that, we have Creative Resources. This is where you can ask for help regarding creative concepts such as OC names, appearances, etc.

Your topic has been moved.

Edited by Arylett Dawnsborough

How about Castel Shine? Castel is short for castellanus which is a genera species of clouds that reside on lower altitudes and closer to land. and ofcourse, Shine for the obvious brilliance your OC has! in relations to Shimmer.

Editted:

Helloo Arylett! Sorry I didn't notice that before, I feel so dumbfounded at the moment now. I just can't bring myself to hit report buttons, but thanks for looking after all of us! :D

• Brohoof 1

How about Castel Shine? Castel is short for castellanus which is a genera species of clouds that reside on lower altitudes and closer to land. and ofcourse, Shine for the obvious brilliance your OC has! in relations to Shimmer.

someone's trying to take my position as the forum name maker, it seems. :P

The RP section is for roleplay-related things only. For actual roleplays, or out-of-character discussion regarding them. Not for asking questions about what your OC should be named or how they should be built.

For that, we have Creative Resources. This is where you can ask for help regarding creative concepts such as OC names, appearances, etc.

Your topic has been moved.

Whoops. ^_^; Sorry. I figured getting help creating a character FOR joining the RPs would fit into the OOC RP board. My bad. Thanks for taking care of it! ^_^

I came up with a possible one........"Brainstorm". Not as creative or pretty as the ones suggested though. I'm thinking Silver Lining is still in the lead.

someone's trying to take my position as the forum name maker, it seems. :P

That's not true! How can you say such a thing like that! :( I always appreciate your collective wisdom and support! You'll always be like a mentor to me too sempai!

Brainstorm sounds great! haven't come across a pony with that one before!

• Brohoof 1

That's not true! How can you say such a thing like that! :( I always appreciate your collective wisdom and support! You'll always be like a mentor to me too sempai!

oh sure, now you're trying to pull that card on me. ;_; how would i know you're not just saying that in hopes of eventually ridding me from my position, huh?

(edited)

Brainstorm sounds great! haven't come across a pony with that one before!

Took liberal use of a Thesaurus for that. ^_^; When we settle on something, how about I yank out the list of my past character naming attempts? It's PAINFUL......in the funny way. XD Edited by tm2dragon