Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I suck at names! Help naming Pony OC?

tm2dragon

Whoops. ^_^; Sorry. I figured getting help creating a character FOR joining the RPs would fit into the OOC RP board. My bad. Thanks for taking care of it! ^_^

No prob. :)

Also, welcome aboard! I'm glad to have an RPer on these forums who can possibly outwrite me in crazy long bios.

Let's see though...

You could just name him Grey. It's an actual name that people use, it's simple, not overly long. Silver Lining's really good too though. I'm not great with pony names, and I know it's a bit unoriginal. But I can kind of see the theme and vibe you're giving off with this guy. he's kind of scrawny, yeah? Awkward? Grey might be a good one. Probably a stupid name, but yeah.

(Also, you guys can thank Silver Arrow. He reported this. I didn't find it.)

oh sure, now you're trying to pull that card on me. ;_; how would i know you're not just saying that in hopes of eventually ridding me from my position, huh?

Now you're toying with my brain! I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or you're saying you don't believe me! :blush:

On topic: Aside from Brainstorm, have you considered maybe adopting a first or last name too?

Also, Thank you Silver Arrow!

Edited by Dizzy Leeane Rage
  • Brohoof 1

Now you're toying with my brain! I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or you're saying you don't believe me! :blush:

stubborn as it may be, i'm actually not being sarcastic here. i get upset and emotional whenever i see a spot where my capabilities could be used at (here it being coming up with names. i love that like you just don't know), and then see someone else getting ahead of me with their ideas, instead. it's a real mood-killer for me every time it happens and ruins my day almost all the times it happens.

but i am just getting ahead of myself over here. just go on with the topic now. i'm done here..

On topic: Aside from Brainstorm, have you considered maybe adopting a first or last name too?

Also, Thank you Silver Arrow!

Adopting? O_o What's that?

No prob. :)

Also, welcome aboard! I'm glad to have an RPer on these forums who can possibly outwrite me in crazy long bios.

Let's see though...

You could just name him Grey. It's an actual name that people use, it's simple, not overly long. Silver Lining's really good too though. I'm not great with pony names, and I know it's a bit unoriginal. But I can kind of see the theme and vibe you're giving off with this guy. he's kind of scrawny, yeah? Awkward? Grey might be a good one. Probably a stupid name, but yeah.

(Also, you guys can thank Silver Arrow. He reported this. I didn't find it.)

Thought of that. For some reason, just doesn't sit well with me. It's a bit TOO bland, oddly enough. I dunno, maybe its just how the words feels rolling off the tongue? It's just........oddly unpleasant. :P

As for crazy long bios......oh, do not get me STARTED on my crazy long bios. I once wrote a bio for a character who's name I NEVER revealed in over half a decade RPing him (sad truth is, I just never was able to come up with one. :P), who's motivations I left as a complete mystery, and who's face I never revealed. Yet he was a VERY active part of the RP, heavily involved with all the plot points, interacted with every other character one-on-one at some point or another, and his bio was around three pages long. Three pages.......for a faceless, nameless, unknown enigma. And the scary thing? His bio never revealed ANY of it! All it revealed was what OTHER characters were able to infer from his actions and their interactions with him. Nothing else.

...........yeah, I'm not a bragger, but BIOS are the one thing I trust myself in. ^_^ I think my favorite instance was after putting up a bio in another RP, one of the other players boggled at the sheer size and detail.........at which point I revealed that this was the SHORT version, and I'd forced myself to cut out large parts of it so that I'd be able to reveal certain aspects of his backstory DURING the RP. I think the poor guy had an aneurysm then and there. XD

She means taking on. Sentence is: Have you considered maybe taking on a first or last name too?

Still not following. I thought thats what we were trying to do? Sorry, I can be kinda dense at times. ^_^;

You mess around with cloud kinds too much in my opinion. Also who said the name has to have two parts? The second one can be thought of later, if ever. I always think of names that they are:

• easy to remember (it very often correlates with ease to pronounce),
  • easy to shorten (possibly in several different ways),
  • hard to confuse with other name (can be difficult when you don't know what other names will be),
  • not outlandish nor too proud (it really sounds bad except in comedy).

My proposition: Stormcloud, short Stormy. Possibly Gray or Silver Stormcloud.

• 4 weeks later...

You mess around with cloud kinds too much in my opinion. Also who said the name has to have two parts? The second one can be thought of later, if ever. I always think of names that they are:

• easy to remember (it very often correlates with ease to pronounce),
  • easy to shorten (possibly in several different ways),
  • hard to confuse with other name (can be difficult when you don't know what other names will be),
  • not outlandish nor too proud (it really sounds bad except in comedy).
My proposition: Stormcloud, short Stormy. Possibly Gray or Silver Stormcloud.

All VERY good points, and much in line with my own thoughts. A longer name needs to be easy to shorten (like with Twilight Sparkle, who folks can just call "Twilight", or Pinkie Pie, who most just call "Pinkie"), and it's important that it not sound too outlandish or impressive. Especially in my characters case, as he's not loud, brash, or strong.....he's scrawny, kind-hearted, and enjoys peace and quiet. Names with "Storm" in it are far too brash, but "Grey" might be a bit TOO subtle and simple. Finding a balance is HARD! T_T

I might be a little late for this but...

Grey Cloud (brothers!)

Grey Nimbus

Float Cloud

Drift Cloud

Cloudy

Cloud Nimbus

Oxy (As in oxygen... As he's supposedly smart and oxygen is part of clouds...)

Um... Cloudsy?

Cloud Scooter

Floppy Cloud

Slim Cloud

And... basically any variation you can make out of these.

I hope this helps... It only took me a day or two to figure out 'Night Cloud', but even that short time was kind of agonizing...

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

I too am bad at naming characters. I am creating my OC right now, and almost everything ,except the name, has been decided. I would love if someone would help me with it. Also, I would love if her name could have a cute nickname.

My 'OC':

Name: 'To be decided'

Race: Pegasi

Colouring-

Mane & Tail: Dark and light blue.

Coat & wings: A dark shade of lavender

Eyes: Same dark blue colour used in mane.

Personality-

She is shy around strangers and people she is not close with, but opposite when with friends.

She adores animals.

She is afraid of heights and so she does not use her wings often.

She is clever.

She is very funny and silly around friends. Also quite sarcastic.

• 6 months later...

I'm also having some trouble naming my pony, could I get some suggestions? She is a pegasus, her coat is blue, her mane and tail are 2 shades of blue, and she is a wonderbolt so she is fast. Oh and I want to put in a picture but I don't know how to, so I also need help with that (im a newbie here)

@Sonicdashie

The easiest way I've found is to upload it to tinypic and then use the address they give you for layouts on tinypic in the window that you get when you click the picture button. (It's the one to the left of the <>)

I really like looking at it to give a name, so I'll wait until you put it up

Edited by DexterousWings

I'm also having some trouble naming my pony, could I get some suggestions? She is a pegasus, her coat is blue, her mane and tail are 2 shades of blue, and she is a wonderbolt so she is fast. Oh and I want to put in a picture but I don't know how to, so I also need help with that (im a newbie here)

Hah, easy, that's Blue Blazes.

• Brohoof 1

N-not Blue Blazes?

I'll say, Cerulean Sprint doesn't make much sense for a flier.

@dulset tarn

I like both of the names, they are really cool, if you want, I could combine the 2 names together into one so that your idea could be a part of it to

Maybe something like Cerulean blazes or Blue Sprint

Edited by Sonicdashie

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...