Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Need Your Help Running My Panel, 3 Questions

ACE Flier

I created this thread before, and I got no replies. I am trying again because I would really like to get at least a couple responses. If you didn't see before, I will be running a panel at Chicago's Whinny City and I need your help on this. The panel I'm running is about the audience (and me) sharing our stories of how we ended up in this fandom, what keeps us here, and the future of it. So I would love for you to answer these three questions if you would be so kind. I plan on taking comments from this thread and reading them out loud during the panel. Don't worry I'll be sure keep you anon, just be prepared for that when you comment.

1. Your Origin Story:

What in your journey of life led you to joining the fandom? Tell me your story of how you were first introduced to the show and how it affected your life from then to today.

2. The Hold On You:

What has kept you in this fandom all this time? More specifically, is there one (or more) particular thing(s) that have helped keep you here? Like do you enjoy making a type of content or do you enjoy experiencing community content? Or maybe it's predominantly the show?

3. The Future:

What do you hope to see or experience in the future of the show and/or fandom? Are there any guests you would like see either at cons or in the series, something you plan to create, or maybe something you'd like to see someone else create?

Sincere apologies if this is spamming, but your help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

1. My family has long since been one of "geeky" nature. And despite their more conservative train of thought, I gradually learned on my own to seek out new things. Now, since I grew up surrounded in pop culture, I eventually learned of MLP via a random meme.

I was put off by it at first, but the fandom intrigued me. I observed the fandom for a long time, until eventually reading Fallout Equestria. Up until then, I had enjoyed poring through Brony fan content, but never considered myself a Brony.

After that, I joined the fandom. It opened me up to a lot of different perspectives and ideas. Since then, I believe I have become a better person. I have ended my homophobia, became a little more sociable, acquired paying jobs, and mended my relationship with my brother.

2. The depiction of a pseudo "family" online where I could be myself and no longer worry about fitting in helped. Of course, the longer I stayed in the fandom, the more that dream washed away.

Still, there are a bunch of nice people in the fandom, and it really makes my day listening to Brony music or watching Brony videos. The show has always kinda been secondary to me. The fandom hooked me, the fandom reeled me in.

I think another huge part was BlackGryph0n. Great music aside, I believe I remember him saying something about teenage and pre-teen Bronies and how it must take courage for them to announce themselves as Bronies. And I was like, "Ah, yeah! I wanna be one of those rebellious dudes!"

I already got crap from the douchebags here, so strolling around in pony shirts didn't change much. But when I went to the city wearing pony shirts, most people didn't care, or even notice. It just felt normal. Kinda woke me up.

3. I heard talk of William Shatner starring in FiM. Weird AL was amazeballs, but I would go bananas to see that.

I daydream and fantasize a bunch of cool animation ideas in my head, but I can't even draw, so I don't bother even trying to go down that path. I would like to see a Fallout Equestria animated series though. Heard someone was working on it, but that was a while ago...

I would like to just go to a pony con. Any at all. Never been to one. There just aren't any in ND. Hopefully I can go to Everfree Northwest once I move to Washington.

Also, and I know it's a way off, but I'd like to take my girlfriend to see the MLP movie. MLP is something I did not imagine we would share an interest in, but it's really awesome! Coincidentally, the movie is in theaters November 3rd, 2017 (the last time I heard), which is just two days before I become an adult.

Edited by GeekySonic

1. I had been browsing YouTube when I came acrossTeens React to MLP. I clicked on it, and became interested as to why people watched it. I watched the Bronies React to Teens React to MLP, so I decided to watch. After finishing episode one, I though, "Well, it's a two parter, have to watch the second half!" Then I finished it, and started watching episode three, and now we're here.

2. I just really love the show, the characters, the jokes, the music. It's just a good show, and I like it. This forum is also a very fun place to be, with so many people and things to discuss. It's just really great, and I love it.

3. I don't know. I'm pretty sure it's going in a good direction. I'm more interested in the present and very new future.

I don't care about anonymity.

1. Ooh, my origin story. xD  There are a couple of ways I can go with this, but I'll go with the one that's slightly likelier to be of any use to you whatsoever.  (You still won't use it. x3)

Before I watched anything beyond the season one premiere, I had what could then be characterized as "a crush" on Rainbow Dash.  I liked her immediately and wanted to see more of her; despite not really having otherwise cared for the initial episodes.  I did some light reconnaissance concerning these "Brony" types and their forum-based behavior, and I essentially joined MLP Forums hoping that someone would convince me to keep watching.

They did; it was, as I recall, really easy.

Since then, my life has changed in a big way.  My affection for Rainbow grew and grew - and became something deeper.  Having her in my life has transformed me.  As a result of being drawn to this colorful and ceaselessly interesting blue pegasus, I have opened up socially, made close friends, made progress with an issue I once thought insurmountable, and - not least of which - found love.

2. Why am I still here?  That's a difficult question; though it's also kind of an easy one.

It is "predominantly the show"; or - and this will absolutely surprise you having come on the heels of my origin story - Rainbow Dash.  She's my primary motivation for sticking with the series, and Rainbow will always be the best thing that ever came of my having taken an interest in the first place.  Admittedly, I have also developed my pony art to an at least passable degree; I'll leave you to guess which pony routinely features in my drawings.

3. What do I hope to experience?  Well...  I've already gotten far more out of MLP than I ever would have anticipated.  I'll just continue watching and drawing Rainbow (if you hadn't correctly guessed by now, you weren't going to), being grateful for how my life has genuinely changed for the better, and keep learning how to be myself.