Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

health Military physical fitness training: 1-1-1 vs 2-2-2

Solid

2 users have voted

1. 1. Intense 1-1-1 vs Standard 2-2-2?

• Intense 1-1-1
    • Standard 2-2-2

Experienced bronies welcome, military or civilian.

Lately my body has been showing some obvious and painful cues that 2-2-2 training (2 mile run, 2 minute push-up, and 2 minute sit-up. I usually follow with some pull-ups), also the standard for the Army Physical Fitness Test, is starting to take its toll. As much as I want to reach military physical standards I feel like if I keep training in this manner it might do more harm than good.

So I went and did a little more online research and came across 1-1-1 training, literally 2-2-2 cut in half (1 mile run, 1 min push-up, 1 min sit-up), and the prerequisite for the APFT/2-2-2. As much as my body is telling me to cut down and perhaps go with 1-1-1 instead, I really don't want to just throw in the towel for something easier.

That was until I had an idea, what if instead of training the regular 2-2-2 which seems to me to have a heavier emphasis on endurance. I train 1-1-1 in a significantly more intense manner for cardio, strength, and speed? (of course, it would still train endurance to a certain extent, but not as intense as 2-2-2)

On a side note, I am not exactly considering joining the army yet. I'm just looking for a training routine that is practical for both physical fitness and, just in case, combat.

Edited by Solid

I like the idea of the 2-2-2. If it is giving you pain build up to the 2-2-2 with the 1-1-1. I use the 1-1-1 with weight lifting involved. And sometimes I change it on specific days to one mile and 2 minutes of situps and pushups so its like a 1-2-2 or it can be a 1-2-1 so just cut back on whatever hurts more to give that area a break to recover. Also I recommend weight lifting too, you can strengthen muscle that situps and pushups cant. 

Also I was considering enlisting too in the army. When I talked to my relatives who went in they said it soon got in the way of progressing through their life. My brothers best friend will miss my my brothers wedding because the army said he can't move his mandatory two week drill and he is reserve and not even full time and my cousin wont be around to see her newborn grow up because she deploys next year for a however long tour. I recommend getting the pay grade for the army like E1-E3 and then compare to entrance level civilian jobs. That might help with your decision better. I always wanted to be in the army, but what they expect out of you doesn't match what they pay you, even if you have a college degree. But its up to you friend :)

• Brohoof 1

I second the opinion of silvadel. Variety is key to total muscle growth. I was in the Army for 6 years and I'm now in the Air National Guard, we changed up our routine all the time. There were some people that all they did was the 2-2-2, they could max the PT test, but had no ability do do anything else physical. On a side note, the Air Force PT test is 1 min p/u, 1 min s/u, and a 1.5 mile run.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...

Well, I've only ever done one 1-1-1, and it was at Basic Training. I'm Army, by the way. We used the 1-1-1 as an evaluation, to see roughly how well/poorly you'd perform during a 2-2-2.

Personally, I prefer working on each muscle group individually for the day. So like, on Monday you do an arms workout, to train for the Push-ups portion. You don't just do 2 minutes, you go for longer, like 3 minute bursts with 2 minute rests. Then, on Tuesday you do a core workout, in the same fashion. On Wednesday, you go for a 3 or 4 mile run. By then, your arms should have recovered from Monday, and you can hit them again on Thursday. Rinse, repeat.

This keeps you from overworking one muscle group at a time, while also keeping your training more intense than the actual test. Make sure you get at least two days of no physical training leading up to the test, so that you're not sore when you're trying to perform.

Unless it's absolutely necessary I wouldn't push it all the way with 2-2-2 if it's taking a negative toll on your body. Remember that your body will always tell you what it needs and wants, and what its limitations are. I used to love pushing myself with physical fitness until it caused me some serious damage. Then I had to cut back out of pure necessity. I didn't like nature dictating what I could and could not do, but I had no choice. You have to do your best within the circumstances given you. I like the idea of an intensified 1-1-1 if you feel comfortable doing it. And if it works out, escalate it from there.