Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cheap or Expensive

Swift Marquis

Taking "first date" out of the equation: I'd rather eat at a "cheap, little but comfortable pizza parlour," and I feel pretty confident in saying that my partner would want to do the same.  Really, I'm sure we'd both enjoy the likes of IHOP or Sonny's. xD  The quality of the food will be judged by your taste buds; not by your wallet.

• Brohoof 2

I'm really frugal when it comes to money and if a guy took me to a ridiculously expensive restaurant on a first date I would raise an eyebrow. Even if you can afford it now there could be a time when you can't and NEED that extra money. I wouldn't really want to be with somebody who pisses money away like that.

I genuinely don't want to get married for that reason, it's too much money to spend on one day. You have your whole life together :/ 

I also love pizza so would be perfectly happy with Pizza Hut :P

Edited by Kayleigh

Well...as a guy who's been in a relationship for awhile ,  I haven't had a first date in 3 years o_o 

but past me would probably start the first date differently depending on the girl,

considering my "type" , is the quiet intelligent quirky girl who keeps to herself and reads books, My first date usually revolves around having a nice drink at a coffee shop , followed by movies and pizza. Second date would be taking her to the museum , and third would be me cooking her dinner which we would eat while we watch cartoons and Disney movies.

I would prefer to go to an expensive restaurant, but it's mostly because that's my ideal date.

...yeeeaaah, I think it's safe to say that I never had many relationships with other people. :P

Edited by Odyssey

I have a general distaste for formality and excessively fancy things, as a consequence of this, a woman that insisted on a fancy restaurant for a first date isn't someone that I'd be likely to be going out with.  I think a good first date would be one in a comfortable, relaxed environment, where we could both just be ourselves.  You can't get to really know someone if they are not dressed, behaving, or even eating in a way that they would normally.

Of course there is a time and a place for fancy restaurants, but that comes later.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 2

I would go the cheap route as a first date. Nothing wrong with a date at a pizza parlor, the most important part of a date in my mind is having a good time. The fancy restaurant can come later, but for starting out, I feel like a nice little pizza place is more comfortable for getting to know one another.

But what the hell do I know?

I wouldn't say that i'm high maintenance when it comes to restaurants. I would be content with going somewhere cheap as well as somewhere expensive. The only thing i'm choosey about when going out to eat is what sort of food the place serves. For example, I tend to avoid places that specialize in Mexican dishes.

I wouldn't really want to be with somebody who pisses money away like that.

I understand what you mean, while I spoil myself every now and then I am also fairly conservative with my finances for that very reason. I watched my parents both have to struggle because my dad (may he rest in peace) was so sick for so much of his adult life and that put a serious strain on the family finances. Where I would differ with you though is I wouldn't necessarily raise an eyebrow if the first date was in a fancy restaurant because a lot of people feel that would make a good first date though I would honestly prefer a first date to be somewhere more casual because I feel like being at a fancy restaurant would be more unneeded pressure when I am already nervous and would like to relax a bit. What would make me suspicious is if someone I was dated insisted every date be somewhere fancy because that could be a sign of a potential gold digger and I want nothing to do with that.

I genuinely don't want to get married for that reason, it's too much money to spend on one day. You have your whole life together :/ 

A lot of people do quickie marriages at the local courthouse of Vegas for that reason though honestly I have only the vaguest idea of what kind of wedding I would want. I know weddings are a huge deal on my dads side of the family with that old world Italian influence still very strong in them even after all the years they have immigrated to America. For me it would be one of those things where I will have a better idea once I get a bit closer to it.

Would you rather have a first date at an expensive, luxurious restaurant, or at a cheap, little but comfortable pizza parlour ? :3

fuck expensive

i don't want to go to a place i have to get ready for

I'd prefer a cheap place; doing something like ordering pizza and watching Netflix seems like a perfect date for me. Going to super nice restaurants usually requires dressing up (at least somewhat) for the occasion, and I'm just too lazy for that.  :D

Why can't it be somehwere in between? Y'know, a nice pub that does good food.

But if I had to choose, a cheap place is definitely better for a first time - it's a more relaxed atmosphere, and if things don't go well you won't feel bad for spending so much money.

North Dakota's standard of an expensive date is Walmart. I think I'm going to use that as my excuse. ;)

In reality, I would prefer just having a coffee or hanging out at the mall. My girlfriend and I are going on our first actual "date" sometime this week. I have no idea what we're gonna do; I'm just winging it.

I've been stressed out a lot lately, and I'm looking forward to a day of just not worrying about anything.

Why can't it be somehwere in between? Y'know, a nice pub that does good food.

As long as it`s not a luxurious restaurant...
It falls in the less expensive category :3

It doesn`t have to be expensive to be good, pub`s FTW
Beer and fries at a wooden table.. nothing beats that :D

except if I`m at a date.... in that case..........2 BEERS ! x3

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't necessarily go cheap but neither would I go expensive. Breakfast cafes and gourmet burger places are where I'd go first. Those are usually $15 a head*.

I probably wouldn't ever go super expensive unless I knew a relationship was permanent simply because that's a lot of money I could use elsewhere.

*I would consider cheap to be like...McDonalds.

if it's a first date? I defer that to whom I am going out with. Now if its a group thing between friends, we tend to pick a restaurant we would like to go to, and if multiple people vote on a certain one or different ones, we do it democratically. If not, we just draw on it. To be fair though, my choice in the group setting is often based on what in particular I would like to eat.

Would you rather have a first date at an expensive, luxurious restaurant, or at a cheap, little but comfortable pizza parlour ? :3

I'd just rather have a first date anywhere... 

For a first date, I say that going too extreme and spending a large sum of money at an expensive restaurant isn't exactly worth it. It's a first date, just take it nice and easy, not over the top.

Having a meal at a food place between the "cheap" and "expensive" factors would be my ideal first date.