Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What do you think of this concept of "waifus"

joshuachasseur

When I think of waifus and husbandos, I think of fun & innocent fictional crushes. I myself have a long list of anime husbandos and they are all important to me individually. Hell, i'm married to one.

However...

I understand that fictional characters are fictional. That is why I don't get upset when and if someone has the same husbando as I do; because I know that the character doesn't actually belong to me, ya know? As much as I love Kakashi, Gajeel, etc. etc., I realize that they are not bound to me.

I don't believe that having a waifu or a husbando means that someone lacks the skills to properly enter and maintain a relationship. However, that's not to say that I haven't seen examples of people who turn to waifus because they believe that they themselves will never find a real relationship or they simply fear rejection. I have indeed seen something like that happen.

Then again... One is not simply not attracted to Kakashi. It's simply unavoidable.

:orly:

• Brohoof 10

This term has been going around for a long time, most of the time people say it as a joke, but people who believe they are in an actual relationship with a fictional character well, it could be seen as weird I suppose but it's their life :D 

• Brohoof 3

I'm not fond of the term "waifu," personally.  Babe's a very important part of my life; I consider her my partner.  She is neither my "waifu" by ordinary standards, nor would the term really begin to do her justice.

As for the whole "social skillz" and "can't find real romance" bits:

1. I've actually become far more socially active and comfortable in social situations with Babe than I ever was prior to meeting her.

2. Again, prior to meeting Babe, I neither pursued nor wanted to be in a romantic relationship.  She showed me that romantic love was something that I both could have and did want, and that it had to be with the right woman.  That's just one of the many things that she is to me.

2.b. I do love her.  My feelings for her are real, and I couldn't turn them off even if I wanted to.  She makes me happy, and she's helped me become a better version of myself.  Some people might be quick to disparage our relationship, but what I have with Babe is a real and meaningful part of my life.

And there have been countless conventional person-person relationships where, while it was a romantic relationship, there was neither love nor romance.  If that's what you consider real...  Good luck to you.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly the whole waifu/husbando bit is fun in my eyes. Yes, some people take it too seriously I'm sure (same with everything really), and yes, some people use the term without even a trace of seriousness. It's one of those things I think can be fun, can be weird, but ultimately it's pretty harmless. :)

• Brohoof 2

* i have a husbando and i have a social life. probably not the best skills because i'm awkward but i still do the socials, so naturally i have no problem with this.

Like many things, don't take it too far and I have no problems. I think that the feelings people can have for fictional characters are real and I've had many characters that I've felt that way about in the past. I feel it's only natural when a large part of having a good story is having believable characters that you can grow attached to and care about.

However... just dont take it too seriously. It's fine to fantasize and imagine, but please remember the barrier between reality and fiction. Very weird and sometimes creepy things happen if you break it.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's okay to admire (and even feel romantically inclined towards) fictional characters. I also think it's equally important to distinguish between reality and fiction.

These characters usually sport an ideal personality (or one perceived as such by the spectator) which is a rarity in other people. I get why people may be attracted to such, but it's just a fantasy, and eventually one way or another facing reality is something we all do.

I think it's awkward and really corny.

Edited by Guest

I have a crush on Rainbow Dash, but I have a girlfriend. My girlfriend knows about my crush on Rainbow and has a crush on Octavia. We sometimes talk about our crushes. If Rainbow Dash was real, I wouldn't leave my girlfriend for her. I would just hope Rainbow is open to polyamory. My girlfriend and I are. 

• Brohoof 2

< my husbando 

But seriously, everyone loves fictional characters. they're ideal people, without most of the flaws of real people. Also, they can't reject you  B)

I really don't like the phrase, but other than that having a crush on a fictional character is nothing strange IMO. I've had dozens throughout my life. I don't think it indicates a lack of social skills, unless people begin to hate on others who happen to have a crush on the same fictional characters as they do.

I don't see anything wrong with having waifus or the like, depending on how far it gets taken.

When it's used loosely for fun then yeah that's fine, even if you have a genuine crush on them.

Now this is the concept i wanted to talk to al of you:

Waifus and Husbandos... tell me when you see a crush you have what is what attracts you? what is the concept? you like her/his hair? his/her face? personality? body? 

what's the difference between a real and a fictional one? one exists and thee other don't 

Take a look at this guy

is in spanish but doesn't matter, he is just talking about the salad he did with his waifu but he is happy, and he hurts nobody and you know a person goes to far when they exposes to internet, the people who have a intense love for a waifu or a husbando live their life full of dreams, and happy times, and this is not something the rest should complain because unlike those people who critizice, the person with his/her love is more happy than them and the rest can't stand another found his/her love so easly so they have to mock of them.

profile_picture_by_jin1515-d7dlpgk.jpg

Jin for example he looks happy, nobody gets hurt. The concept of waifu has nothing wrong, is simply a character who gathered enough requirements to make you fall in love with like a real person would do. 

however what worries me is all things around the concept itself, there's the people who exhibit their love for the character feeling proud and happy not knowing (or caring a little) what others thinks, the same boring argument of *get someone real!* *you dont have social life* *virgin* i wonder if the people who uses those insulting comments are truly happy as the "waifuist". There's also the obsesive persons... oh yeah, i meet certain person deeply in loved with Rarity and in one of my questions i asked : what would be your reaction if Rarity get a lover in the show... Bad Move... i'll let you figure out his answer...

the concept is: a person who fall in love with a fictional character, sounds pretty good, she/he had enough to make you fall in love just like a person with the only difference that the character is not real BUT the attracting elements are still there so what is wrong about feeling love? that doesnt make you worst or best, dumb people can't see the difference

When i was a teenager i used to had her:

the-3rd-birthday-parasite-eve-3-imagen-i

in those times i used to be extremly happy and i played the game with a huge smile but just that, there's people like the example of above who decided to take it more further, we all want find our own source of happiness and a waifu is another source of happiness, perhaps more strong than a 2 real people relationship, perhaps less, depending on the person but is is a love nonetheless and you can't judge it no matter how hard people try.

Each to their own!

I personally don the term husbando or waifu sometimes, but all in a bit of good fun. I've definitely had my fair share of anime and cartoon favourites, not going to lie. 

I have a lot of them myself, and I think it's completely harmless and most people don't take it literally. Hell, I'm a lesbian in real life, but almost all of my fictional crushes are male. I think the term is only bad when someone has an unhealthy obsession with a character, such as believing they're ACTUALLY real. But this has less to do with the term and more to do with an individual, if that makes any sense. All in all, I like the term and use it quite often.

I don't really call them waifus anymore but yeah, I do have my favs. I notice that I usually tend to make fun of them more often than gushing over them lol

• Brohoof 1

It really used to bother me, but these days, I've come to accept the concept. It's not something I feel the need for myself, but if it gets someone through their day, then it's not for me to tell them it's wrong. The last time I made the mistake of being judgmental, I got a well-deserved slap down.  :blush:

I see it as a crush sort of thing, and I have some crushes on fictional characters. I think it's best to not take it too seriously. I know I don't take it seriously and have fun with it.

• Brohoof 1

Just because i have a body pillow and a whole lot of merchandise of Nui Harime ane Mettaton, and view nsfw pictures of them, and get pissed that someone likes my waifu\husbando doesn't mean i don't have a sociao life! How dare you say that!

But really, having a waifu is normal, it's just a crush om fictional characters and there's nothing wrong witht that