Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Flurry Heart an Alicorn, and is she a princess?

*Thundershock*

(edited)

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe the Crystal Empire is not part of Equestria?  Equestria is a kingdom (or a Queendom, since females rule it).  However, how can the Crystal Empire be an Empire if it's part of another country?  

If the Crystal Empire was part of Equestria, it would be a State or District, not an Empire.  More likely, I think they're an ally of Equestria, and not necessarily part of the country itself.  Otherwise, they wouldn't have a Princess ruling over them.  They would have representatives.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Because otherwise, it makes no sense to call them an Empire.

Not sure Ranky64 is right about the episode saying that. Shining Armor looks to have married in, and Blueblood is a hereditary royal (Celestia's great-great-great-great-great nephew) - and Rarity said she'd be a princess after marrying him. Extending that, Cadence might be a princess because of being adopted as Celestia's niece, not because she's an alicorn. Twilight might be the only case of a commoner "earning" a royal title.

Edited by Daring_Do

• 1 month later...

I hate the idea of superior bloodlines and getting VIP off your parent's title either way, so I'm just sticking to my theory that she's nothing more than a non-royal alicorn.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
I hate the idea of superior bloodlines and getting VIP off your parent's title either way, so I'm just sticking to my theory that she's nothing more than a non-royal alicorn.

Well, she was born from two married royals.  That makes her royalty by default.  This is one of the hard truths of succession.  The kids are always next in line for the throne.

(Celestia's great-great-great-great-great nephew)

I don't know if I'm convinced this is the case with Blueblood, because it would mean Luna had to have kids at some point.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 2

You can have your opinion, I'm just sharing mine. So far, Flurry Heart has done nothing to deserve a princess title, so automatically giving her one (along with the billions that come with royalty) would be absurd for a place where everyone is treated equally. For me, in Equestria, you can join the monarch by either [A: Doing something special or powerful] or [b: Marry a royal]. Doesn't matter if your an alicorn descendant of a ruler or not, these are the only two ways of earning the title.

Flurry heart is an alicorn probably because because princess Cadence is an alicorn and something with genetics...

And I don't see why she wouldn't be considered royalty.

it often happens whenever the royal couple gives birth to a child. they would've use the title to count as either prince or princess

• 1 month later...

lets be honest they did it to sell more merchandise, its quite the hole they dug themselves into tho :/ i wouldn't start making head cannon just yet, we still got half a season to go so without doubt there will be another epsode to explane it... because... it needs a lot of explaining...

i mean"...you did something today that's never been done before..." (celestia to twilight) i'm pretty damn sure flurry heart isn't the first pony to ever be born.. granted the first alicorn born but... that's a paradox... and makes no sense.. but we have like 14 episodes to go so i'm gonna just wait and see what happens XP

• Brohoof 2

Because she's another super special snowflake.

automatically giving her one (along with the billions that come with royalty) would be absurd for a place where everyone is treated equally. 

Except that everyone isn't treated equally.

She's probably just an alicorn because of genetics. I'm guessing there weren't a lot of alicorns for a rather long time, and those that were there tended not to procreate, so alicorn children would be relatively unheard of. As for being a princess, I would initially assume that it's hereditary, but particularly in Cadance's case, the royal title appears to be linked to some demonstration of virtue, so maybe Flurry doesn't inherit the title unless she proves herself. 

(edited)
So far, Flurry Heart has done nothing to deserve a princess title, so automatically giving her one (along with the billions that come with royalty) would be absurd for a place where everyone is treated equally.

First off, everyone is not treated equally in Equestria.  There have been episodes that make this explicitly clear.  So you just shot your whole argument in the foot with that statement.

Second, as I said before, people can argue the point about 'earning' a title and give opinions until they're blue in the face.  But the fact remains: If someone is born to a royal family, they are royalty, like it or not.  They do not have to work for this.  They are automatically in that position, especially if they're the only kid.  This is a harsh truth of succession.  It's not always pleasant, and it may not be fair to people on the outside of this kind of thing, but this is a fact of life. 

The final thing you have to remember is this.  The Crystal Empire is NOT Equestria.  The fact that it's called an 'Empire' is proof of this.  So any laws that MIGHT (I use 'might' loosely here, because it's likely the same thing would happen in Equestria, were one of the Princesses there to have a kid) apply there, don't necessarily apply in other countries.

Not sure Ranky64 is right about the episode saying that. Shining Armor looks to have married in, and Blueblood is a hereditary royal (Celestia's great-great-great-great-great nephew) - and Rarity said she'd be a princess after marrying him. Extending that, Cadence might be a princess because of being adopted as Celestia's niece, not because she's an alicorn. Twilight might be the only case of a commoner "earning" a royal title.

I hadn't even thought of that.  But it's true.  The show flat-out tells us that ponies can become royalty by means other than earning a title.

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 1

Unless there's some magical gene where ponies related to royalty are bound to do amazing things, I'm not buying it.

Concerning your statement through "ponies aren't treated equally", this is not what I meant. I didn't say it properly though so it's not your fault. I should have said "where ponies SHOULD be treated equally".

If Celestia or Cadence were just putting newborn ponies on a spinning roulette board to see which one would become the lucky little foal to be a spoiled brat it would, at least for me, come off as somewhat unfair.

And before you start saying "they're royal so they deserve more respect" think about this: Elements of Harmony.

Lots of debate in this thread over what 'princess' actually means in Equestria. I may as well try clear it up since this whole thing is rather silly to get into huge discussions over.

I'd wager that when you refer to Flurry Hearts as a princess, it's not in the political sense like the rest of them, but rather the sense that she was simply born into royalty. When you refer to the other alicorns as princesses, it's because they're part of the Equestrian government.

It's basically just a term that could be applied both ways. I'm not sure why so many people are confused and going into lengthy paragraphs on this since frankly, this whole subject isn't really something we need to delve very deep into. Flurry Hearts is an alicorn because, thanks to her creation, it was revealed that becoming an alicorn changes your genetics. She's a princess in the royal sense, not the political sense.

• Brohoof 1

Cadance is technically the Queen or Empress of the Crystal Empire. But she will not be referred as so because Queens are associated with evil. Thanks Disney. Celestia and Luna are not Queens because with Queens there can only be one. Yes, Celestia was supposed to be called Queen Celestia, but that was before Luna was made as there was only one alicorn at the time. Cadance has royal blood in her as she is related to the first Queen of the Crystal Empire, Amore. Look it up on her wiki. I think when you become an alicorn not only are you as powerful as a quarter of the Equestria population but your DNA changes. Cadance is part of the Crystal Empire because she was born into it and Equestria Royal Family via adoption. So automatically Flurry is a princess of the Crystal Empire and Equestria.

Also you can be born into a royal title take Prince Blueblood, the distant nephew of both Celestia and Luna for example he didn't earn his royal title and so I guess he was born into his title. Flurry Heart has been mentioned as a Princess in merch.

(edited)

Seeing as how this thread looks to be alive again, I might as well post something I pmed SBaby back in May (so other folks can see it).

"If I'm understanding Word of Faust on Blueblood's relationship to Celestia correctly (she did go into a little detail on that) he's actually descended from their maternal first cousin, not from Luna. Irl, people do call their first cousin's kids their "nephews/nieces", and their parents' first cousins their "aunts/uncles". I guess this just extends that by a lot of generations."

Edited by Daring_Do
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

She is a princess because she was born into a royal family. She is a unipeg because her mother is one.

Well, I don't think she is considered a princess, since she is called "the baby". Oh, also, Flurry did show earth pony traits, for example, she was so heavy that Pinkie could't make her stop flying. Its kind of Pegasus and Earth trait that she has shown.

Hasbro calls all baby ponies Baby (insert name here) its a tradition they've carried on through every generation.

Cadance is technically the Queen or Empress of the Crystal Empire. But she will not be referred as so because Queens are associated with evil. Thanks Disney. Celestia and Luna are not Queens because with Queens there can only be one. Yes, Celestia was supposed to be called Queen Celestia, but that was before Luna was made as there was only one alicorn at the time. Cadance has royal blood in her as she is related to the first Queen of the Crystal Empire, Amore. Look it up on her wiki. I think when you become an alicorn not only are you as powerful as a quarter of the Equestria population but your DNA changes. Cadance is part of the Crystal Empire because she was born into it and Equestria Royal Family via adoption. So automatically Flurry is a princess of the Crystal Empire and Equestria. Also you can be born into a royal title take Prince Blueblood, the distant nephew of both Celestia and Luna for example he didn't earn his royal title and so I guess he was born into his title. Flurry Heart has been mentioned as a Princess in merch.

I don't know why everyone thinks that mlp can never have Queens because they're evil. MLP has had Queens before and being a queen doesn't automatically transform a character into a murderous psychopath.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

(edited)
"If I'm understanding Word of Faust on Blueblood's relationship to Celestia correctly (she did go into a little detail on that) he's actually descended from their maternal first cousin, not from Luna. Irl, people do call their first cousin's kids their "nephews/nieces", and their parents' first cousins their "aunts/uncles". I guess this just extends that by a lot of generations."

Blueblood is kind of an odd duck when it comes to the show.  It really puzzles me why they call him a 'Prince' when he's not descended directly from Celestia or Luna.  But the way I figure it, if Celestia and Luna actually have a cousin that's NOT DEAD  (because you know...  IMMORTAL), then that means the cousin would have to be an Alicorn, and if that's the case, it's possible that they're royalty as well. 

So this could still be perfectly in line with what I was saying about succession.

Edited by SBaby

(edited)

Blueblood is kind of an odd duck when it comes to the show.  It really puzzles me why they call him a 'Prince' when he's not descended directly from Celestia or Luna.  But the way I figure it, if Celestia and Luna actually have a cousin that's NOT DEAD  (because you know...  IMMORTAL), then that means the cousin would have to be an Alicorn, and if that's the case, it's possible that they're royalty as well. 

So this could still be perfectly in line with what I was saying about succession.

I dunno. I was thinking maybe that since Celestia didn't have any kids, and Luna was off in the moon, they needed to secure the succession or whatever so went with their next of kin. Except Celestia's inexplicably lived for like 900 years since then, so the position of "next of kin" keeps passing down the family line...

Edited by Daring_Do

Hmm... that's kinda a hard question... if she were to become a princess, would she be the wielder of what? Hard to tell, the Empire or maybe the heart? Welp, I'm probably more interested in the cutie mark <33

Personally, it's always possible that Prince Blueblood is the Leader of a city/district of Equestria and Celestia gave him the title of Prince.

She's actually a bicorn. It's just everyone thinkng she's an alicorn, because horns and wings. Until we see earth pony power, she's a bicorn.

Power level is explained due to being blood related to powerhouse Twilight and Shining.

No, she's not a princess. That doesn't come until soeone decides that they've acheived it. Princess Twilight confirms this, as well as the Journal of the two sisters

Sunbutt and Luna were born alicorns, but they were sought out AND THEN crowned princesses, well out of their baby years, By Starswirl

She is an alicorn. No doubt about it Celestia says her powerful power surges are due to her alicorn powers and Crlestia sats she is the furst alicorn born in Equestria. She is a royal since both of her parents are royals. That is just how monarchy works. The show never says that princesshood must be earned. In fact Celestia and Luna were only crowned rulers because of them being alicorns. They didn't really do anything to earn their titles as they were approached by some of the founders of Equestria and offered the throne.

You can have your opinion, I'm just sharing mine. So far, Flurry Heart has done nothing to deserve a princess title, so automatically giving her one (along with the billions that come with royalty) would be absurd for a place where everyone is treated equally. For me, in Equestria, you can join the monarch by either [A: Doing something special or powerful] or [b: Marry a royal]. Doesn't matter if your an alicorn descendant of a ruler or not, these are the only two ways of earning the title.

What about Prince Blueblood?

She is an alicorn. No doubt about it Celestia says her powerful power surges are due to her alicorn powers and Crlestia sats she is the furst alicorn born in Equestria. She is a royal since both of her parents are royals. That is just how monarchy works. The show never says that princesshood must be earned. In fact Celestia and Luna were only crowned rulers because of them being alicorns. They didn't really do anything to earn their titles as they were approached by some of the founders of Equestria and offered the throne.

What about Prince Blueblood?

As I stated above, I believe that he is the leader of a city/district in Equestria (possibly Manehattan) and that's how he became a prince.

Lots of debate in this thread over what 'princess' actually means in Equestria. I may as well try clear it up since this whole thing is rather silly to get into huge discussions over.

I'd wager that when you refer to Flurry Hearts as a princess, it's not in the political sense like the rest of them, but rather the sense that she was simply born into royalty. When you refer to the other alicorns as princesses, it's because they're part of the Equestrian government.

It's basically just a term that could be applied both ways. I'm not sure why so many people are confused and going into lengthy paragraphs on this since frankly, this whole subject isn't really something we need to delve very deep into. Flurry Hearts is an alicorn because, thanks to her creation, it was revealed that becoming an alicorn changes your genetics. She's a princess in the royal sense, not the political sense.

yes but what for? that's what probably has many people stumped.. from what i can see every alicorn princess has an important part to play, celestia raises and lowers the sun, luna raises and lowers the moon (as well as the 2 ruling over most of equestria), cadence rules over the crystal empire, twilight maintains harmony and solves friendship problems.. what can a baby do...  :/ im just looking forward to the episode that shows what flurry heart's contribution is (besides an excuse for more merchandise) coz well.. yea debating about it is pointless.. its still a franchise and franchises exist to rake in $$$ know what im saying? provided they justify the whole mess ill be happy XP by mess i mean alicorns being born is against the shows cannon you gotta do something really important to become an alicorn and baby's... well they cant really do much at all :/ i mean.. all it did was put the crystal empire in danger sooooo..... yea looking forward to seeing how things turn out.

yes but what for? that's what probably has many people stumped.. from what i can see every alicorn princess has an important part to play, celestia raises and lowers the sun, luna raises and lowers the moon (as well as the 2 ruling over most of equestria), cadence rules over the crystal empire, twilight maintains harmony and solves friendship problems.. what can a baby do...  :/ im just looking forward to the episode that shows what flurry heart's contribution is (besides an excuse for more merchandise) coz well.. yea debating about it is pointless.. its still a franchise and franchises exist to rake in $$$ know what im saying? provided they justify the whole mess ill be happy XP by mess i mean alicorns being born is against the shows cannon you gotta do something really important to become an alicorn and baby's... well they cant really do much at all :/ i mean.. all it did was put the crystal empire in danger sooooo..... yea looking forward to seeing how things turn out.

Well, she's not going to play any political role because she was only just born. It'll take a few years (or moons) before she's ready for any taxing responsibilities like those that the other alicorns have. Sure, she might be created by Hasbro for more merchandise, but DHX executed her introduction incredibly well in my eyes. But I do agree that debating what type of princess she is is pointless, since it's obvious that as of now she doesn't hold any political power, thus making her one that's considered a one purely by royalty. In a sense, picture of a king and queen in our world had a child. That child wouldn't have any political power from young, but they'd still be a princess. Eventually they get older and can play a role in their land's politics. It's the same thing in Equestria, just with princess and prince being more general terms.

Also, alicorns being born isn't against the shows canon. It wasn't once stated throughout the show that alicorns couldn't be born, as we haven't ever really gotten any backstory on them prior to this, save for the fact that the S3 finale revealed that ponies can be turned to alicorns. I could understand the confusion about how people thought that doing something of great worth is the only way to achieve this title, however the S6 premiere revealed that there's now a second way. Besides, it would make sense for alicorns to be born, as we haven't seen any other alicorn in a stable (no pun intended) relationship that could lead to a baby being conceived, save for Cadance and Shining Armor being in one. The 'alicornisation' process would likely alter the genetics of the pony who achieves it.

But I understand your point. We don't really know what they have planned with Flurry Hearts, and speculating on what they may do is pointless, since there really aren't any clues to lead us towards any solid conclusion. As you said, we should just wait to see how things turn out.

• Brohoof 1