Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the absolute worst ship?

Shipping_Trash

(edited)

redactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredactedredacted

Edited by Vennax
  • Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

- Flash x ANYONE. Because I just don't like Brad.

- Sparity is just creepy. It's a child crushing on a full-grown mare. It's cute and stuff. But when the full-grown mare starts to like the child... yeah, no. I don't care that technically he's just a bit younger than Twilight. His mindset is still that of a child's.

Actually, scratch that, any Spike ship that isn't Spike x Ember is creepy.

- Even though they're not the absolute worst, any Fluttershy ship is usually boring to me... probably because I don't care much about Fluttershy herself. The FlutterDash art is kinda cute though, I guess.

- Fluttercord. One being is I don't even know how many years old. Fluttershy is 15-25. Yeah, no.

- Soarin x Dash. Soarin is just annoying.

- Luna ships. Again, don't care about Luna.

How many people will hate me now? I say... 50% of the fandom. Well, geez.

Edited by PinkBoom
  • Brohoof 2

Coming from a writer's perspective . . . It's kind of judgmental to call a ship "good" or "bad." Based on surface similarities and differences, yes, there are certain ships that work out better than others, and there are ships that don't work out at all. In fact, based on a character study I did some time ago, the absolute worst ship according to this definition (within the mane 6) is almost anyone × Pinkie.

*ducks flying tomatoes*

But there really is no basis upon which to say that a ship has "nothing to go off of" or could "never ever work." Equally, there is no basis upon which to say "opposites attract" or "this pair was made for each other." The fact is, based on the show canon alone, there are very few ships/romances/crushes that are even remotely plausible. The only ones that have any sort of canon basis are Big Macintosh × Marble Pie, Twilight × Flash Sentry (human), Spike → Rarity (note the arrow), and any-stallion-she-happens-to-charm → Rarity (might have missed a few). And all those cannot really be called "ships" or "romances" in any sense of the word. At most, they're suggestions. By the very nature of the show itself, a "My Little Pony ship," based on canon alone, is impossible. So, based on this definition, if you said the absolute worst ship was "all the ships," you'd be completely right. And this is true of almost every fandom out there.

I'm not going to get into adding consensus fanon into this equation and re-evaluating best and worst ships because then I'd be getting into what "consensus" means. Whatever the case, fanon development is necessary and required for any ship to be considered plausible, and within any narrative, this fanon development far outstrips any canon development the show could have possibly conceived. Flash Sentry × Twilight, Fluttershy × Big Macintosh, Discord × Celestia, all of these ships are possible with enough development, and with the right shipping goggles and narrative development, connections can be made, and just about every ship is possible. Heck, I've seen Tom × Bloomberg ships before! That's the level of development we're talking about.

I'm not saying that preconceived notions can't color your perception of certain ships. We all have them. If we used a popularity contest to answer the question, then the absolute worst ship, among the Mane 6, is Pinkie × Rarity. What I am asking is not to let those preconceived notions prevent you from enjoying any well-written ship from someone who spent the time to develop it. Any ship can be done well.

So, at this point, I've provided three answers to the question "What is the absolute worst ship?" They all come from various places, but none from my own mind. It should be clear at this point what my answer to this question is, though I will note that my answer is not unbiased—I am a writer, after all. But to write the answer out in words, the absolute worst ship is the one that the author doesn't care to develop.

Whew. PSA over. Tl;dr: There are a lot of answers, and all of them are wrong.

~T

I don't think you can really use a 3 year old chart to talk about current popularity, I can tell you if that chart was redone now, with just fics + art in the last 3 years or so (so you know to remove the bias's for the earlier years of the fandom) years AT LEAST these things would be true: TwiDash would UTTERLY CRUSH everything else, it's popularity has never declined while AppleDash and FlutterDash's most certainly have seriously I was bored late last year and wanted to see how much fics the popular ships got in that year.. and I found Rarijack, AppleDash and Flutterdash seperated by only like 15 fics.... and TwiDash literally having TWICE the amount of any of them (and just to note SunLight which didn't even exist in 2013 was edging them all too). Rarijack would almost certainly be in the top 5 it experienced a massive surge in popularity starting in late 2013 or so which really continuined all the way till late 2015, during this time it caught up to AppleDash and FlutterDash when it comes to the production of NEW fic and had such a massive surge in art that surpassed AppleDash, FlutterDash AND TwiDash in TOTAL art., TwiLestia and SoarinDash would be higher, PinkieDash wouldn't even be in the top 10 it'd have a hard time even being top 15 honestly that ship didn't just decline a bit like AppleDash it like drove off a freaking cliff and exploded into near nothingness, and RariDash would be somewhere in the top 10 probably. O and RariPie? It wouldn't be high up but it wouldn't be dead bottom ether, that'd be ApplePie

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 1

Spike/Ember and MarbleMac. MarbleMac because they literally only said one word to each other the entire episode. (And speaking of one word, that's Marble's entire vocabulary for the entire episode. Just "Mm-hm". Big Mac, who usually only says 2 words in any given episode, has a bigger vocabulary than her.) Spike/Ember because 1. It's not like we're ever going to see her again. 2. She literally HAS to stay in the Dragonlands. and 3. She seems to be a teenage dragon. Going by how dragons age, she could be OLDER than Rarity. (Also, Sparity isn't okay, but FlutterCord is? He's a different species AND older than Celestia!)

• Brohoof 1

That's because Flash Sentry is a shitty character to force Twilight to be involved with. He's an outdated cliche, and has nothing for character outside it.

Taht like every mane 6 ship ever..

I just don't like Fluttercord...Even as friendship I feel Fluttershy deserves someone as sensitive as she is...Sensitive as in caring and compassionate that is.

I found Discord and Rainbow Dash's budding relationship to be more believable.

With most ships I at least have somewhat of an understanding on where they come from. Heck, I'll even give Sparity a pass because at least it's based on something. However, the one ship that always baffled me was PokeyPie. I literally saw this shipping on Deviant Art and thought, "Who the fuck is this?" It's apparently a background character from like one episode. I had to check the Wiki to know who he is because not even the fandom seems to give that much of a crap about him (except of course for this ship). 

Apparently, they're shipped because Pokey Pierce was seen in the background popping a balloon in one episode. I can't imagine Pinkie taking too kindly to that seeing as she doesn't even pop them, she deflates them. So really, Pinkie would probably hate his guts.

SoarinDash is awful cause it's basically only popular as a reaction to all the Yuri shipping with Rainbow Dash from people who dislike that kind of thing. Not based on any actual interaction or anything like that.

Or you know, they just see them as a cute couple like I do and base it off the interaction they've had. 

• Brohoof 2

With most ships I at least have somewhat of an understanding on where they come from. Heck, I'll even give Sparity a pass because at least it's based on something. However, the one ship that always baffled me was PokeyPie. I literally saw this shipping on Deviant Art and though, "Who the fuck is this?" It's apparently a background character from like one episode. I had to check to Wiki to know who he is because not even the fandom seems to give that much of a crap about him (except of course for this ship). 

Apparently, they're shipped because Pokey Pierce was seen in the background popping a balloon in one episode. I can't imagine Pinkie taking too kindly to that seeing as she doesn't even pop them, she deflates them. So really, Pinkie would probably hate his guts.

Yeah that was always weird, I remember for a while Twilight, AJ, and Pinkie were frequently paired with BG ponies(Caramel and Pokey for AJ and Pinkie respectively, I can't for the love of me remember the name of guy paired with Twilight), and it really felt like fans were really scraping the bottom of the barrel for the three as they weren't even well known BG ponies. At least now the 3 have actual characters to work with, though admittedly Flash Sentry and Trenderhoof aren't that much of an improvement.

At least Pinkie scored big with Cheese Sandwich though   :ph34r:

• Brohoof 2

Yeah that was always weird, I remember for a while Twilight, AJ, and Pinkie were frequently paired with BG ponies(Caramel and Pokey for AJ and Pinkie respectively, I can't for the love of me remember the name of guy paired with Twilight), and it really felt like fans were really scraping the bottom of the barrel for the three as they weren't even well known BG ponies. At least now the 3 have actual characters to work with, though admittedly Flash Sentry and Trenderhoof aren't that much of an improvement.

At least Pinkie scored big with Cheese Sandwich though   :ph34r:

Kind of related to the post I quoted, those are the kind of ships that seem to only exist to have a hetero ship for the mane six. At least SoarinDash, CheesePie, and even Flashlight are based on some interaction. These are based on zero interaction.

• Brohoof 2

All incest ships make we want to gag. I'm talking any combination of Twilight/Shining Armor/Twilight Velvet/Night Light/Spike, Applejack/Big Mac/Apple Bloom/Granny Smith, Rarity/Sweetie Belle/Their parents and the like. Just... EWWWW.

I've already seen at least one fic shipping Fluttershy with her brother.

Sparity isn't as bad, but it's still awkward given the age gap. Even if Spike is only a "baby" by dragon years, he would still be somewhere around 10-12 or the same age as the CMC. I have no problem with SpikeBelle for that reason.

Speaking of age gaps (and I'm going to be very unpopular for this) I hate TwiLestia.  Let me count the number of ways how this is wrong.

1) Age. Even if we scaled Celestia's age, she would still be old enough to be Twilight's mother, if not her grandmother

2) The Student/Teacher relationship here, which never ends well

3) Celestia knew Twilight when she was a filly and literally watched her grow up. Developing feelings for her after that would be the same as a mom having romantic feelings for their son/daughter. 

I like TwiLuna since it has almost none of these problems, and TwiDance is... iffy. I've seen people come up with good reasons for this, like an alternate universe where Shining and Cadence were never a couple, but if it's just "Shining Armor cheated on her because the author doesn't like him" then no. 

Edited by PoisonClaw

I don't like:

Marblemac or Fluttercord,

Marblemac would seem like incest because technically the Apples and Pies are already related.

Fluttercord because it would completely sap Discord of his antagonostic traits. Plus I'm already supporting Fluttermac.

Edited by BrawnyCharger

To all us shippers, what ship makes you cringe? In my opinion, Rainbow Dash x Soarin', just looking at it gives me shivers, I can't stand it. I can't ship Flashlight either.

I think only the mane 6 mares should be shipped together. It annoys me when people take their OC's and ship them with a mane 6 char. 

• 9 months later...